Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I don't have that router anto, but it has got to be either a DHCP or a DNS issue.

Can you access the Internet when you connect with an Ethernet cable?

Make sure DHCP is set to automatic and change the DNS to google's DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

Give that a go and see if it helps at all.

Thanks Moonboy for the reply, i left the router on over night and knocked my laptop off when i knocked the laptop on today i had access to ethernet must have had to config or something lol very strange but no problems now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

JethroC wrote: »
    I can confirm that this works on the Technicolor TC7200.

It took me about 5 mins at most and worked first time. I now have my Cisco Linksys E2000 with DD-WRT up and running using the 7200 purely as a modem :D

Just to add I took the 'leap of faith' tonight before my firmware got updated to .27 version (and snmp possibly blocked).
    Disconnected coax cable first, then switched off firewall and used linux snmpset command method.
    After reconnecting coax cable, firmware had been upgraded to .27 version.
    All seems to be working so far.

WW:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ComputerLab

Hi all. Sorry for disturbing, but please explain wht you need that bridge mode when you could just forward ports or make demilitary zone? Possibly I missed something. ...
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

Hi all. Sorry for disturbing, but please explain wht you need that bridge mode when you could just forward ports or make demilitary zone? Possibly I missed something. ...
    Thanks!

I think somebody mentioned it earlier differences are nicely explained here:
    http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/routervsbridge.cfm

@white_westie

finally you decided, thought you would be the first one to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

genek wrote: »
    I think somebody mentioned it earlier differences are nicely explained here:
    http://www.moonblinkwifi.com/routervsbridge.cfm

@white_westie

finally you decided, thought you would be the first one to do it :)

@genek
    Could not afford to be off the air if it did not work out.
    Internet is used every day in my house as well as phone, so could not be off the air without having a valid rollback option. Also had to wait for college exams to be over.
    Decided to change when I seen that the firmware was being updated and was concerned that the snmp change option might be locked out.

@ComputerLab
    Yes you are correct about using a dmz with your own router - that's what I did not long after I got the TC7200 (also switched off wireless and dhcp) and it worked perfectly, however I had no need to forward ports or anything like that so not sure if it is an issue.
    If you read around the forums you will see some people think that the TC7200 hardware is not up to being a modem/router/wap - much like the previous model in Ireland the EPC3925. By switching the EPC3925 into bridge mode, and using your own router/wap it worked quite well.
    Also others like to do things that the firmware restricts them, but they can do it with their own routers, so another reason for a modem only device.
    In other UPC served countries (not all), customers have a choice and can get a modem or have bridge mode enabled by UPC on the supplied modem/router, whereas in Ireland we have neither option!

WW:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Was on the 30Mb with the Scientific Atlanta 2203 with Asus RT-N16. I thought it was high time to sample some 120Mb goodness. Was sent the 7200 and tried every which way to get them to send out a 3925 but they would not budge. Tried the WEP excuse and i was told he could enable it from his end so i was stumped after that :P

Getting a tech to call out in the morning to see if he has a 3925, if not i'll unwrap it and give it a go for a week and if not happy return to the 30Mb service i had.

If it was not for Docentore and you guys, i would just send it back straight away. If i cannot bridge with my router i don't want to know about it. Seeing the firmware get upgraded and bridging still works fills me with hope that it will always be the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Can anyone help me here, not really a Broadband expert at all. I got my TC7200 a couple of weeks ago- really enjoying the 120Mb speeds. BUT, I used to have an account set-up with DynDNS for me to remotely access a program on my HTPC, enabling me to schedule recordings etc. So I have a DynDNS address & I used my previous router (TP Link) to forward the ports & handle the Dynamic DNS updating (I think- it just worked!). Having read through over 30 pages of this thread, I think I can gather that the TC7200 does not support this :confused:

Is my only alternative now to ditch the DynDNS address & set-up a Static IP for my HTPC, as below? Then forward the ports & use the static IP as the Target IP address? Or does the below only give the TC7200 a static IP?

I also notice a menu page with fields for DNS Server 1 & 2 and "DNS Name", does this refer to my DynDNS address?:confused:

Any help would be great....
    Ceka wrote: »
    Just found the solution.

If you change on
    Basic/Local Area Network/Lease Time to: -for example-314496000 seconds (10 years)
    on the
    Basic/DHCP Client Devices/DHCP Clients expires On will be change to:
    *** STATIC IP ADDRESS ** :)

(If you need a specific address, first configure/reserve it on your laptop/PC, then if it assigned by the router you can set is back to Automatic IP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

You can still do it but not quite as easy,

You will have to log on to your dyndns account at least once a month,and anytime in between if you notice your IP WAN address has changed,

Other then the above you can then just forward the specific port against the HTPC IP address,might also be an idea to make this a static IP using the trick from the quoted post in you post above :)

If you can bridge the TC7200 it should work as before because the TP LINK can continue to update the DNS records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Karsini wrote: »
    If you can bridge the TC7200 it should work as before because the TP LINK can continue to update the DNS records.

That would be the best course of action indeed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Karsini wrote: »

Again, sorry- I'm no expert, but I thought most of this thread was about it not being possible to bridge with TC7200? Or is it now possible? Do you need UPC Customer Phone Support to enable it?

Wheeker wrote: »
    Again, sorry- I'm no expert, but I thought most of this thread was about it not being possible to bridge with TC7200? Or is it now possible? Do you need UPC Customer Phone Support to enable it?

It's possible with a bit of messing. See here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057106714/1

Worked perfectly for me. The instructions are for the older Thomson modem but the procedure is identical for the Technicolor - same company. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

allimac wrote: »
    I got one of these when I upgraded to 50 mb a couple of weeks ago, download speeds are all over the place from 7 to 40 mbs but the main problem I have is that if I leave the computer for a few minutes the internet goes down and I have to refresh 5 or 6 times to get it back. Not the biggest problem in the world but very annoying all the same. Can any of you tell me how to fix this problem as I haven't seen it on this thread yet and I'm baffled and very non tech?
    Bump. Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

allimac wrote: »
    Bump. Anyone??

You should not be dropping the connection at all allimac. I would get a tech out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Thanks, I'll give them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spirosssss

Hi everyone! I just rented a flat where internet connection was already available and cable router used is the one of the thread. Actually the model is the TC7200U, provided by UPC Poland.

Everything is ok with the router, surfing and downloading @ full speed and stable as rock, the only issue is that the wifi is not working. No matter what I choose, 2.5GHz or 5Ghz, no network is found and no wifi light is flashing on the device.

I tried with reset, change SSIDs, channels and press the connect button on the side of the device with no luck. Any ideas before I purchase a new router to plug it in the WAN socket?

The TC7200U is the version over here too, I think the U just means it's the UPC customised version.

If you can't get any signal on the 2.4 GHz radio and the WiFi light is off, despite the radio being enabled in the web UI, then I'd suspect that the unit is faulty. UPC would provide a replacement free of charge (it's their device after all) or you could get your own router and bridge it, as you say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Double check that you haven't got both 2.4GHz and 5.3Ghz enabled. They've hobbled the firmware so it will only do one or the other.

Turn off both and just turn on 2.4GHz

Thanks for the answers guys. I hoped it would be a firmware issue, but it seems I cannot find neither firmwares nor any upgrade guides. Even in the web UI there is no option for firmware upgrade.

As far as the radio, even if I choose both, one of them then gets disabled automatically.

It's too much trouble to put flat owner to start a dispute with UPC, then wait for technician etc (moreover I live in Poland but I don't speak Polish so it'll be stressful for me to welcome the technician:) ) so i'm going to buy a 10EUR TP-LINK, bridge it and she what happens!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Spirosssss wrote: »
    As far as the radio, even if I choose both, one of them then gets disabled automatically
    Like I said they've hobbled it, you can't use both at the same time.

other missing features include sharing a HDD plugged into the USB port.

• Advertisement

Like I said they've hobbled it, you can't use both at the same time.

other missing features include sharing a HDD plugged into the USB port.
    Someone uploaded a photo recently of a TC7200U with the cover removed. I noticed that there was only one Wi-Fi radio in there but the PCB had pinouts for a second one. I know that my third party router has two physical Atheros AR9220 chips for simultaneous dual band. So it sounds to me like the UPC version only has one radio so it can't work on both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm not in the least suprised that this was discovered. It seems a pretty poorly designed box.

Finally after I bridged my newly bought, cheap TP-LINK, I managed to have wi-fi straight out of the box :)

The problem is that the whole block now also has wifi because I cannot enter TP-LINK's web UI and put a password, but this is offtopic for now and I'll manage it eventually I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Finally after I bridged my newly bought, cheap TP-LINK, I managed to have wi-fi straight out of the box :)

The problem is that the whole block now also has wifi because I cannot enter TP-LINK's web UI and put a password, but this is offtopic for now and I'll manage it eventually I hope!

Did you bridge the TC or just plug the TP in via its wan? If you didn't set it up as ap with a static LAN IP in the range of the TC you may have difficulty accessing the TP web interface (as well as other issues which may or may not be a concern depending on usage, port forwarding etc), try plugging out the Ethernet into the tp and logging in directly into it from a laptop wired into a LAN on the TP, you should be able to access its web ui then.

It could also be that the TP LINK is an access point rather than a router, so it wouldn't dish out any IP addresses of its own. In this case, check the manual for the IP address and temporarily give the PC an IP in this range. Then you can log in and set the encryption or change the IP to one in the TC7200's range. Change the PC's IP back to dynamic when you're finished.

Hey guys, thanks for the interest :) I hope admins are a bit tolerant here ;)

I simply plugged one of the lan ports of Technicolor (doesn't have wan) to the wan of the TP and it worked! there were few guides on line but didn't seem to work. Strange is that there is also this address tplinklogin.net which also does not work. I ll have to make some more research and look at your suggestions as well.

Hey guys, thanks for the interest :) I hope admins are a bit tolerant here ;)

I simply plugged one of the lan ports of Technicolor (doesn't have wan) to the wan of the TP and it worked! there were few guides on line but didn't seem to work. Strange is that there is also this address tplinklogin.net which also does not work. I ll have to make some more research and look at your suggestions as well.

How many ports are on it? If there's 4 Ethernet ports and a WAN port then it's a router (and my advice doesn't apply). :) If there's one port, it's an access point.

Sounds like you have a router, in which case you should be able to get the IP address of it by looking at the default gateway.

It's a router :)

I ll report back with any updates after CH L match! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Hey all,

I got a new Technicolor TC7200 from UPC today and my wireless internet connection keeps dropping out! I'm sitting about 6ft away from it and I have to get up every 15 minutes to reset it, whereby it will work again.

Any help? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

ArcticFox wrote: »
    Hey all,

I got a new Technicolor TC7200 from UPC today and my wireless internet connection keeps dropping out! I'm sitting about 6ft away from it and I have to get up every 15 minutes to reset it, whereby it will work again.

Any help? :confused:

Nearly as bad as me. I am on 120mb and just did a speedtest and hit the dizzying heights of 3.87

I am wireless, but still. Wish I knew someway of improving

Advertisement