Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

iba wrote: »
    Nearly as bad as me. I am on 120mb and just did a speedtest and hit the dizzying heights of 3.87

I am wireless, but still. Wish I knew someway of improving

Bridge the tc7200 and use your own router :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

wiz569 wrote: »
    Bridge the tc7200 and use your own router :)

How would one do this? Total noob when it comes to this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

ArcticFox wrote: »
    How would one do this? Total noob when it comes to this kind of thing

Can't link to it using this phone for some reason m8 but if you search my posts you will find a thread about enabling modem mode on another Thompson router, this then goes on to cover the tc7200 :)

EDIT: On pc now :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spirosssss

Dave..M wrote: »
    Did you bridge the TC or just plug the TP in via its wan? If you didn't set it up as ap with a static LAN IP in the range of the TC you may have difficulty accessing the TP web interface (as well as other issues which may or may not be a concern depending on usage, port forwarding etc), try plugging out the Ethernet into the tp and logging in directly into it from a laptop wired into a LAN on the TP, you should be able to access its web ui then.

Hi All. Dave you were right, I was trying to access it will I was wired to Technicolor. I plugged the LAN cable to TP-LINK and voila!! :) Everything was in Polish though, but I managed!

Thanks everyone for the help. Neighbors must hate me now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gasman77

ArcticFox wrote: »
    Hey all,

I got a new Technicolor TC7200 from UPC today and my wireless internet connection keeps dropping out! I'm sitting about 6ft away from it and I have to get up every 15 minutes to reset it, whereby it will work again.

Any help? :confused:

Since you have only had it for 1 day I would get UPC to get the techy out. you might then be lucky enough to get him to swap it for the 3925 which is much easier to bridge ( if you need the option to use your own router )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

Has anyone tried to use a NAS with this modem? It's listed as compatible on the Synology website but I'd like to have some feedback before I fork out a few hundred quid on the enclosure and some drives. I've been using Serviio as a DLNA media server on my PC and it's worked beautifully with my WDTV Live.

corroonb wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to use a NAS with this modem? It's listed as compatible on the Synology website but I'd like to have some feedback before I fork out a few hundred quid on the enclosure and some drives. I've been using Serviio as a DLNA media server on my PC and it's worked beautifully with my WDTV Live.

Is this via the USB port? UPC have this function disabled in their firmware if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

Karsini wrote: »
    Is this via the USB port? UPC have this function disabled in their firmware if so.

No. Via a LAN port.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

gasman77 wrote: »
    Since you have only had it for 1 day I would get UPC to get the techy out. you might then be lucky enough to get him to swap it for the 3925 which is much easier to bridge ( if you need the option to use your own router )

Thanks - They are coming out on Tuesday and I'm going to ask for a Cisco 3925

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Is the usb port on the back of these redundant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Superfin wrote: »
    Is the usb port on the back of these redundant?
    yes and wifi only works on one band at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BizzyThaKid

got this modem last week nothing but trouble since all i want to do is play gta online lol but i keep on getting this message after about 2 mins everytime i enter a game (Connection to the session lost due to an unknown network error) had no trouble with my last router untill they upgraded me to this peace of ****...

i read something about port forwarding or something for this to work with gta but i haven't a clue how to that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Was upgraded to the Technicolor 7200 recently and have had wifi problems since. The Horizon phone app (which of course uses wifi) drops calls due to poor connection and other devices frequently lose wifi even in the same room. UPC haven't been able to fix it though they've changed the frequency and the box (for another 7200).

Would be interested please to hear if others have the same problem and how they overcame it.

You're probably better off buying your own wireless router and bridging it to the Technicolor to be honest. On here they're known to be poor quality routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

If you are referring to Synology's ability to configure your router, yes, Synology can install port forwarding rules to TC7200.
    It works without any problems.

Though, it's way better to use Technicolor as a simple modem and put your own wireless router to perform the real jobs.
    Second observation: WDTV can access your PC and/or storage via Samba. Simple to use and considerably more stable than Media Player capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Has anyone being able to get DynamicDNS working with this, to access their home network remotely?

I have DynDNS setup, and basically want to use VNC to hook into my machine remotely. I also have a number of things running like sickbeard, sabnzbd etc, and was previously able to get into them via the dyndns address and then the port. Absolutely nothing happening here with this router, and when I port forward nothing happens.

Actually have a Cisco box downstairs from the previous tenants. It looks like it was a modem that they had a netgear router plugged into. Might be best of reverting to that, or do I need to use this thing for 120mb fibre.

Seems to be starved of features, fully appreciate ISPs providing weak hardware, majority of people dont even touch their admin panel on the router, but I'd still like the option to use third party stuff as an advanced user.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TheDoc wrote: »
    I have DynDNS setup, and basically want to use VNC to hook into my machine remotely.
    FYI vnc isn't secure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

Spirosssss wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I just rented a flat where internet connection was already available and cable router used is the one of the thread. Actually the model is the TC7200U, provided by UPC Poland.

Everything is ok with the router, surfing and downloading @ full speed and stable as rock, the only issue is that the wifi is not working. No matter what I choose, 2.5GHz or 5Ghz, no network is found and no wifi light is flashing on the device.

I tried with reset, change SSIDs, channels and press the connect button on the side of the device with no luck. Any ideas before I purchase a new router to plug it in the WAN socket?

I am sorry if someone answered this, but I am also located in Pl for the time being ( I am American / Eastern Euro / Dual citizenship, long story ) anyway, to get the wifi going you will need to *activate it* meaning call up UPC and PAY sign up for wifi....yes you heard me correct, they charge to activate the wifi feature now, not only can't be bridged so you can use something with dd-wrt or tomato but NOOO, you have to pay for wifi use. What a load of bouncing i/o :mad:. I live with a roommate who got suckered into signing up for some stupid DVR service, mind you SHE DOES NOT EVEN WATCH TV, and alas, I come home and in the place of the cute little modem we had sits this hunk-a-junk tc-7200. I mean it is not all that bad, the 5ghz connection works great for my ipad3, just a tad annoying to have to switch to 2.4 for ps3 and ipod4 touch updates. I did set static IPs for everything with 8.8.8.8 and secondary "". . 4.4" and I am able to run this hybrid nonstop for days on end but still. I am looking for a new ISP as soon as one opens up around here. And they won't even let us buy our own modem and connect it.

My friend is moving and this friend is lucky the UPC contract is up and I will take the tc7200 that this friend no longer needs and take it apart and see if I can use spare parts from my recently opened dir-655 and solder in a second wifi radio transmitter, or swap out theirs with a true dual band one, that way 2.4 and 5ghz can work at the same time. I will attempt to also see if I can create a MMCX thru hole plug PCB mount (via something like a MMCX-JW Male to SMA-KY RG178 Adapter Connection Cable) so we can attach an external wifi antenna ( hopefully for each band ) but this is just wishful thinking stage for now, but I have the time and parts to do it, so why not give it a try. They promise to be able to use both bands simultaneously in their *contract* but it is a lie, so if it came down to me vs them, I would gladly point out the fact I wasn't able to use their sub par equipment as promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem with the extra radio will be if the firmware issues.

But a better aerial would seem to be useful. Or you could just use a repeater though?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    The problem with the extra radio will be if the firmware issues.

But a better aerial would seem to be useful. Or you could just use a repeater though?

I don't need a repeater, my tc7200blahh is anywhere from 1 meter to 3 meters from all my devices, this is more for others that could use it. But yes, I have tried repeaters just as a test and the signal was horrible, just plain horrible. And it wasn't the repeaters fault, I tried several to test. As for the firmware, well that is not a discussion I want to get into here :p There is always the parabolic route but again, we would need a MMCX-JW Male to SMA-KY RG178 Adapter Connection Cable and hopefully a little hole to plug it into :)

Perhaps your TC7200 is simply faulty if you can't ge a decent signal 1m from it? There bad and theres broken...

beauf wrote: »
    Perhaps your TC7200 is simply faulty if you can't ge a decent signal 1m from it? There bad and theres broken...

You misunderstand, I am pretty sure I mentioned that I get a GREAT signal from it even in the other parts of the flat, and these walls are made of thick concrete. I am not here asking for help, I am trying to come up with ways to help those in need with a faulty tc7200 :) Well I looked through my posts and I did not mention it, I am sorry for misleading anyone, wasn't my intention. :) The 1-3 meter is due to my OCD. I like everything neat and orderly, electronics included. So my multiple computers, my PS3, Iproducts, UPS and anything else in need of networking is simply within a 3 meter radius :) And the tc7200 is smack in the middle of it all :) I did test out the signal by walking around the flat with a wifi enabled device ( used both 2.4 and 5ghz bands ) and RSSI signal was rock steady and ping times via Ookla (strange new name they call it now lol) were all around 5-7ms and depending on device (ipad3, regardless of UPC package, I have 30down,5up usually maxes out at 28 for me and I have read similar posts on idevice related forums), my laptop is a tad older (first gen i3 Toshiba 2009, 2.4 band only) was getting maxed out 5ms 30~31 Megabits down and around 4 Megabits up. I know most of you lot are not happy about the tc7200 and I am not either and I am not here to gloat that mines works ok, but I had a great network setup which pretty much was made null thanks to lack of bridging. Like I said, I can't wait for a new ISP to spring up around here, and I doubt I will wait too long as I live in a major city and they are springing up like mushrooms after little rain and a well fed cow passes by :)

To add insult to injury, I called them and had them put me with a higher tier tech support with whom I spoke to about A. Paying them for the removal of the tc7200 unit B. Me buying my own hybrid of my choice (Cisco off course) C. Paying any other costs to simply allow the MAC activation...to which I heard a big fat NO. I consider myself a rational being but seriously now....I REALLY had to bite my tongue on that one.

I'm just wondering is it a side issue.

But as you say why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bvalky

If someone is intersted . I bought this tc7200 from another user who don't need it anymore , it was very cheap but i didn't know that upc will not register this product ( mac adress) so i thaught i lost some money , not a big deal but then i start searching ... and searching , i have looked even "'so how to hack "' isp server :)) , but in the end i gave up . The first time when i connected the router tc7200 to my modem ( it's a simple modem ubee with one port , that why i need the second modem because i need more ports and wirless conection of course; and i have a tplink router but it dosen't have gigabit connection ) show that an unidentifed network but i realised later that the tc7200 had upc settings from the original user so i made a factory reset settings and afther that i made a reset from the back button on tc7200 ,i don't remeber how long i pressed the button i think between 15-20 sec , and after that i kept looking how to clone mac adress ... inject mac adress , change de config file from de isp server etc. etc .Finaly i gave up searching , an i tried for the last time the modem , conetcted to upc modem and Surprisee !!! the tc7200 switched in bridge mode probabliy afer resest , but another problem now , wirless network don't work so i disable the dhcp and after that wirless worked . So if you have a tc 7200 you can try this way , worked for me; i mention that i don't have bridge mode option in the menu not the first time and not now.
    If you succed to turn device in bridge mode you have a gigabit router , and the wirless signal is slighty better that TP Link TL WR841N .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Suiczi93

Hello, got this router a few days ago and so far it's been horrible. With the old router i could play wireless and I wasn't getting any lags whatsoever in games but with this router it's impossible to play, sometimes the ping is around 500ms and when the ping is stable at around 30 I'm getting random 5s lagspikes. Do you have any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bvalky

your problem is when you use wirless or lan ? if it is when you use wirless try to use another channel in wirless setting , it's very posible that another wi-fi network to be in the same area at the same channel and interfeer with your wi-fi network . If it's lan problem then i think it's a big problem and it's very possible that your device is malfunction .

Over Wifi

3383112971.png

It's on STD6.01.27

bvalky wrote: »
    If someone is intersted . I bought this tc7200 from another user who don't need it anymore , it was very cheap but i didn't know that upc will not register this product ( mac adress) so i thaught i lost some money , not a big deal but then i start searching ... and searching , i have looked even "'so how to hack "' isp server :)) , but in the end i gave up . The first time when i connected the router tc7200 to my modem ( it's a simple modem ubee with one port , that why i need the second modem because i need more ports and wirless conection of course; and i have a tplink router but it dosen't have gigabit connection ) show that an unidentifed network but i realised later that the tc7200 had upc settings from the original user so i made a factory reset settings and afther that i made a reset from the back button on tc7200 ,i don't remeber how long i pressed the button i think between 15-20 sec , and after that i kept looking how to clone mac adress ... inject mac adress , change de config file from de isp server etc. etc .Finaly i gave up searching , an i tried for the last time the modem , conetcted to upc modem and Surprisee !!! the tc7200 switched in bridge mode probabliy afer resest , but another problem now , wirless network don't work so i disable the dhcp and after that wirless worked . So if you have a tc 7200 you can try this way , worked for me; i mention that i don't have bridge mode option in the menu not the first time and not now.
    If you succed to turn device in bridge mode you have a gigabit router , and the wirless signal is slighty better that TP Link TL WR841N .

Hacking into the ISP servers is a criminal offense if I am not mistaken and could get you into a lot of trouble, therefore I would advise against it. If I mistook what you were implying then I sincerely apologize for my intrusion:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I've taken delivery of one of these. Before I power it up and connect to their network I need to be absolutely sure a bridging hack works.

Despite a request for bridging, UPC are unwilling to provide a Cisco nor reactivate the old modem (downgrade). My position to reject the new upgrade terms is greatly diminished the second I plug the TC7200 in.

I'm concerned the SNMP trick is undone when the actively scan for configuration anomalies and force a firmware download.

Advertisement