Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I've taken delivery of one of these. Before I power it up and connect to their network I need to be absolutely sure a bridging hack works.

Despite a request for bridging, UPC are unwilling to provide a Cisco nor reactivate the old modem (downgrade). My position to reject the new upgrade terms is greatly diminished the second I plug the TC7200 in.

I'm concerned the SNMP trick is undone when the actively scan for configuration anomalies and force a firmware download.

It works fine for me here. You'll probably need to do the hack with the coaxial cable disconnected from the modem but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Karsini wrote: »
    It works fine for me here. You'll probably need to do the hack with the coaxial cable disconnected from the modem but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

OK thanks for that. I would be great if a few others could let us know what their experience is (you might just be lucky!). If I plug this thing in I'm stuck with them for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

OK thanks for that. I would be great if a few others could let us know what their experience is (you might just be lucky!). If I plug this thing in I'm stuck with them for a year.

I got the 7200 from UPC as well Dum_Dum. The day i plugged it in i asked / demanded that a Tech call out. The guys (at least the tech that i dealt with) here in Waterford city have loads of 3925's, so he swapped it over.

Bridging it with my Asus RT-N16 and it is flawless.

You should try the same

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I got the 7200 from UPC as well Dum_Dum. The day i plugged it in i asked / demanded that a Tech call out. The guys (at least the tech that i dealt with) here in Waterford city have loads of 3925's, so he swapped it over.

You should try the same
    Sorry to bugger in, but I have never heard the term *call out*, would it happen to mean -> return to place of original business, as in your house / work where he came first? Just wondering as I enjoy learning new words, phrases etc etc:)

Thank you for the prestissimo response :)

Sorry to bugger in, but I have never heard the term *call out*, would it happen to mean -> return to place of original business, as in your house / work where he came first? Just wondering as I enjoy learning new words, phrases etc etc:)

Noun

'An instance of being summoned to deal with an emergency or do repairs:

[as modifier]:
    a call-out charge

• Advertisement

moonboy52 wrote: »

You should try the same

After three or four calls totalling about 1 1/2 hours I received a categorical no to an alternate modem (in Waterford too) and a no to reinstating the old modem. So I have no broadband at all.

I then told them I'm cancelling the whole lot (not an idle threat) - still a big fat no!

Sorry to bugger in...

'butt in' not 'bugger in'. Buggering is something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

@dum_dum,

as most people here I have been through the same frustration as you and it is just waste of time and nerves.
    Just do the switch to bridge as many of us and it should be fine.

To be honest even without the bridge mode is not too bad when you configure it though DMZ

On the phone to CS they refused me point blank as well, but the tech swapped it over with no fuss.

You should at least try that option first in my opinion.

'butt in' not 'bugger in'. Buggering is something completely different!
    I know it's *butt* in, but I did not want to offend anyone as I am new here and I am not really sure if I can say such words, for all I know there could be children using this forum and I don't want them seeing such things online, they see enough already, but yes, thank you for helping me learn something new. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bvalky

Hacking into the ISP servers is a criminal offense if I am not mistaken and could get you into a lot of trouble, therefore I would advise against it. If I mistook what you were implying then I sincerely apologize for my intrusion:(
    Whell more likley hacking config file from my modem making belive that it is comunicating with isp server when actualy is comunicate with my pc and send me the config file , not entire isp server . But is very hard to do and you need a lot of time so is more simple the way explained above .

bvalky wrote: »
    Whell more likley hacking config file from my modem making belive that it is comunicating with isp server when actualy is comunicate with my pc and send me the config file , not entire isp server . But is very hard to do and you need a lot of time so is more simple the way explained above .
    So you mean tftp into the modem and...ok gotcha. Sorry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the benefit of hacking it when you can turn off wifi and use one of the ports on the back and run it to another router?

gerbo wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before but what is the benefit of hacking it when you can turn off wifi and use one of the ports on the back and run it to another router?

Those who are talking about hacking the modem are in countries where bridge mode is blocked entirely, such as Germany. No need to even think about it on UPC Ireland. I think it's very dodgy territory anyway.

Tried it, used the second router as a AP, signal was degraded beyond belief, also you can't bridge the TC7200 (although there are some tutorials here that say otherwise, I am not sure if they can be bridged in this country). Sure you can use the other router as an Access Point, but the signal will be sub par, unless it was my router, but I tried it with a DIR-655, which I used for a long time and it had 3 large antenna I purchases separately (they are called TP-Link TL-WR1043ND TL-WR2543ND TL-WDR4300 Omni Directional Network Extension Mini PCIe PCI Cards Wireless WAN Repeater) and with the old modem from UPC I had signal downstairs, which is a LONG way down, maybe 60~ feet and we have thick concrete walls here, not sheetrock like in the states which you could literally punch a hole through with a fist, even as a kid:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm having lots of trouble with the new upgraded connection in my house, Using a Technicolor TC7200.

Lots of random disconnects, lag in games, all completely random, could be working fine for hours then have 20 minutes of d/c's, keep needing to tether my phone for a more stable connection which just frustrating. Any advice?

Xios wrote: »
    I'm having lots of trouble with the new upgraded connection in my house, Using a Technicolor TC7200.

Lots of random disconnects, lag in games, all completely random, could be working fine for hours then have 20 minutes of d/c's, keep needing to tether my phone for a more stable connection which just frustrating. Any advice?
    Which console are you using? If it is Playstation, I would advise setting a static IP for it. I would also advise going into your TC7200 admin panel and going into the Basic Tab -> Local Area Network and copying down your current DNS settings on a piece of paper, then setting your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 like in the picture I am including. I would do the same for any other console if the console allows a static IP ie: XBOX 360, PS4 etc etc. You may also want to set a static IP for your computer, if you don't know how, let me know and I will tell you. I have included a pic to show you how mines looks like. When you set a static IP, it will appear under the TC7200 Admin panel under Basic -> DHCP CLIENT DEVICES , look under EXPIRES ON, under it, if done correctly, it will say *Static IP Address*. If these are wireless devices I would set them to channel 1 or 11, as most are usually set to 6 and you may have a lot of people around you with other wifi devices and the wifi waves cause interference. If you have 5ghz wifi devices, use that as it has A LOT more channels to choose from. To flush DNS cache on a Windows 7 Machine, you would open up your command prompt As Admin and do the following, before you change your DNS and reboot. :

Click the Start button.
    Enter cmd in the Start menu search field.
    Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    Type the following command and press Enter: ipconfig /flushdns
    If the command was successful, you will see the following message:

For MAC 10.7 and 10.8 its

Click Applications.
    Click Utilities.
    Double-click the Terminal application.
    Type the following command:

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

I did not include Linux, because I assume that if you use Linux, you already know all this.

Tried it, used the second router as a AP, signal was degraded beyond belief, also you can't bridge the TC7200 (although there are some tutorials here that say otherwise, I am not sure if they can be bridged in this country).
    Yes you can bridge tc7200 , if you read my posts and try the method descrbied by me maybe you can . When using bridge mode don't use coaxial cable , just use it like a router . Reset from back button (keep presed the buttoon 20 sec or more) the tc7200 and then shut down the tc7200 then power it up . For wirless you must dezactivate dhcp ( before dezactivate dhcp i strongly recommand to set up wirless netwoek ssid name password channel number etc. because once you dezactivate dhcp you can't comunicate anymore with your router tc7200. Good luck !

And not necessarly bridge mode blocked . Think of that : you have a upc pack that it dosen't include a wirless modem , just a simple modem ... Now if you want to have a wirless modem you need to pay rent each month to upc ,and they give you one. Now here is the trick if you have a modem or if you buy one... you can't use it because upc work only with their equipment ( they don't register your mac adress from your new modem ) so if you have the skill you connect your new modem and "hack" (modify) the config file from your modem ( change mac adress , in first place to have internet connection ).Of course is not simple , and you need a lot of knoloage and time to do this .Now you will asking why so many effort ? First some people don't like to have 2 devices (modem+router) instend of one ( tc7200 , cisco :Modem and rooter) and second some people like to do this (it's their hobby ) to demonstrate themselves they can and of course some people want to have devices better that upc is offering but because upc policy they can't so .... that's the benefit ...

bvalky wrote: »
    And not necessarly bridge mode blocked . Think of that : you have a upc pack that it dosen't include a wirless modem , just a simple modem ... Now if you want to have a wirless modem you need to pay rent each month to upc ,and they give you one. Now here is the trick if you have a modem or if you buy one... you can't use it because upc work only with their equipment ( they don't register your mac adress from your new modem ) so if you have the skill you connect your new modem and "hack" (modify) the config file from your modem ( change mac adress , in first place to have internet connection ).Of course is not simple , and you need a lot of knoloage and time to do this .Now you will asking why so many effort ? First some people don't like to have 2 devices (modem+router) instend of one ( tc7200 , cisco :Modem and rooter) and second some people like to do this (it's their hobby ) to demonstrate themselves they can and of course some people want to have devices better that upc is offering but because upc policy they can't so .... that's the benefit ...
    My roommate got talked into getting some sort of *DVR* packet which I automatically rejected when I got home, but the damn TC7200 was here to stay, but the 5ghz works ok and as punishment for my roommates idiocracy, the modem is in my room so:P. Besides, what is funny is that the roommate does not even WATCH TV , yes gets a dvr packet ..reason...the lady was nice on the phone. I need to get a smarter roommate, but this one is very clean and very quiet, so I don't know, maybe take the phone away or *drop it on accident*, *you can always use mines, I will pick it up and give you, if it's for you*.

• Advertisement

genek wrote: »
    @dum_dum,

as most people here I have been through the same frustration as you and it is just waste of time and nerves.
    Just do the switch to bridge as many of us and it should be fine.

To be honest even without the bridge mode is not too bad when you configure it though DMZ

Just an update. I capitulated and powered up the TC7200 and enabled bridging via the SNMP hack without connecting the coax. Then connected the coax and voilà the interior device picks up a routeable IP address. You can also connect more devices to the rear of the TC7200 to receive more public IP addresses (up the three I think?).

So it's been running in bridge mode successfully over a week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Can anyone post a link to that SNMP hack for this modem?

Edit: Nevermind, I need to learn to search...

Edit 2: Did the SNMP hack with my modem, bridging now works perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Billyie wrote: »
    Hello guys..... I got the bloody new modem/Router from upc..and life stood still.. and is still standing till since......HELP...!!!
    My problem with this modem/router (Technicolor TC7200) is it has stopped my sat box from picking up web radio.......so I assume its not reaching or talking beyond the router itself......??
    And I read of you guys using "Static ip's"....??
    Is that a fix for my problem too...??
    How do I perform this task in this modem/router....? Can anyone give me a
    an idiots guide to set up this router to get my sat box working through this dam router.....
    And if I use static ip for this sat box does this effect my laptop and phone that also goes into this modem/router....?
    Do I need to do something with these too.. can you let me know....?
    And what If i add any other devices in the future do I need to do something to these too....?

Thanks for all your help...believe me I need help with this dam modem/router.....!!!
    Regards Billyie

Any joy with this Billy?
    Did assigning static ip address to sat box work?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

I too upgraded from 30mb to 120mb recently and got this crappy Technicolor TC7200.U smart modem/router box. I am now suffering terrible problems playing on XBL lag, disconnecting from XBL, getting kicked from party lobbies and party.

What's strange is that once the game gets going (zombies long game) I dont get kicked or suffer party trouble at all but sitting in the lobby for 5 minutes or so with some friends not all of my friends and I get kicked. So I thought NAT is my problem and I logged onto the box and was looking for NAT but it's not there so I enabled UPNP and said surely that will solve it now but no it is exactly the same still.

Anyone have any clue what I can do next on this stupid box. Its wired connection and DHCP is assigning IP to the xbox, Firewall is set to low and I dont not want to turn this off completely. I did try give the xbox static IP and google DNS but then my NAT is strict as I get the message from the xbox directly after this configuration, I don't get the message from the xbox under DHCP and checking it I found it my NAT open under DHCP, so I really cannot explain this.
    Modem firmware STD6.01.27

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Either give it a static IP and put that into the DMZ or put the TC into bridge mode

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90216885&postcount=223

and use a different router

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

wiz569 wrote: »
    Either give it a static IP and put that into the DMZ or put the TC into bridge mode

and use a different router

Thank you.
    I could not find bridge mode on this stupid UPC box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thank you.
    I could not find bridge mode on this stupid UPC box.

Log into your router first then click the link in my post above,that should then give you a secret option to chose between router or bridge/modem mode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdosemyfeet

wiz569 wrote: »
    Log into your router first then click the link in my post above,that should then give you a secret option to chose between router or bridge/modem mode :)

Anyone having trouble with this bridge mode ?

I have it connected to my Wan port on an RT-n66u , but after about 10 minutes or so the connection drops , from the technicrap router , internal resource access is fine, its just like the wan connection stops functioning.

I have tried a second techicrap router , still the same when thats in bridge mode.

Its fine when its as a router but I dont want two NAT's

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Anyone having trouble with this bridge mode ?

I have it connected to my Wan port on an RT-n66u , but after about 10 minutes or so the connection drops , from the technicrap router , internal resource access is fine, its just like the wan connection stops functioning.

I have tried a second techicrap router , still the same when thats in bridge mode.

Its fine when its as a router but I dont want two NAT's

Yeah, encountering something similar too - Asus RT-N66U using Technicolor in bridged mode (have tried both ways - snmpset & /system/switch-mode). Get a WAN IP okay, but after 5 or 10 minutes, it stops routing - still has a WAN IP, but no traffic flowing to the internet anymore. A DHCP renew and the connection comes back (with the same IP).

It's very strange - thought it might've been firmware initially, but I've tried Asus Merlin, TomatoUSB and dd-wrt - all with the same symptoms. I've given up on bridging for now.

• Advertisement

I wonder what's going on there? I have my TC7200 bridged to an AVM Fritz Box 7390 (with the DSL modem disabled) and it has been working perfectly for the last 4 months.

Advertisement