Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

Yeah I know they are not cheap but they get alot of good reviews and to solve my problem I could not care how much the box costs its better than living with this technicrap box.

For me I know its this box causing my issue as it was fine with the Cisco EPC2425 for years so it has to be technicrap
    Makes sense buying one I know works rather than trying random boxes that might not work.

Thanks I did not know that. I will buy one of the net so.
    thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yeah I know they are not cheap but they get alot of good reviews and to solve my problem I could not care how much the box costs its better than living with this technicrap box.

For me I know its this box causing my issue as it was fine with the Cisco EPC2425 for years so it has to be technicrap
    Makes sense buying one I know works rather than trying random boxes that might not work.

Thanks I did not know that. I will buy one of the net so.
    thanks again.

Bear in mind even a dear router wont work if the TC keeps crapping out in bridge mode,might be worth while trying it on a cheapy router first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdosemyfeet

Hey ,

Kind of related,

I managed to obtain an epc3925 , but when I get connected it, while I was getting a wan address and gateway address I could not receive any internet traffic.

DNS was functioning fine as it was resolving the IP from sites.

Rang UPC, told them the situation, and that I wasn't happy with the technicolor router saying they wernt great routers at all (to which the girl responded "Oh no they are") - I ignored that response.

Long story short, the CM mac address of the router needs to be whitelisted on their end.

So if anyone just gives up on the technicrap , you may have to give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KomKnight

Has anyone here ever used a Dlna media server on a computer connected to the Technicolor. I run Universal Media Server from my laptop, which is connected to the modem via ethernet. It comes up on varies devices on the network, but say if it is already running and a device starts up on my network, it takes three minutes at most for that device to detect the media server. Anyone run into this issue?

Well I think I worked out the mystery of why my modem was rebooted remotely... I've been increased to 120 meg!

3521145093.png

I didn't ask for it, nor was I told, so I better check my bills and make sure it's not a mistake. I was previously on 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Karsini wrote: »
    Well I think I worked out the mystery of why my modem was rebooted remotely... I've been increased to 120 meg!

3521145093.png

I didn't ask for it, nor was I told, so I better check my bills and make sure it's not a mistake. I was previously on 50.
    It's a free upgrade m8, got it myself a while back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KomKnight

Anyone using DLNA media servers on this router?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

My current issue is that XBOX live disconnects for host based games of such. I get disconnected from MW3 and I can't play GTA 5 online without straight away getting disconnected from the game and often XBOX live.

I am having the exact same problems - SO frustrating! I have tried everything - static IP, DMZ, opening ports etc.

Also, I'm trying to access my NAS(Zyxel NSA325) remotely (which was working fine before). Currently I can access its webpage (and file system through this) and also a server running on it without problem, but when I try to use an app on my phone (Filebrowser) it won't give me access remotely (which had worked fine previously - and works fine when I'm on the same network). It says it used SMB port 445 which I've tried to open but it shows online as closed.

Rubbish router, just like their tv box. Is it possible to replace their router with a better one? Any recommendations from those in the know?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Manuel1948

Dear People,

want to share my experience with this crap device. Before I get updated to the new firmware, my device was on bridge mode, which I applied by the SNMP Hack, but after the modem updated to this firmware it isn't possible anymore.

They added IPv6 support, added a possibility to end login session, if you forgot to logout, deleted the DMZ menu and the only thing which was a good one they updated the speed finally from 100MBit/s to 150 MBit/s. I am from Austria btw.

I read that you can open the Switching Mode Menu with following Link: 192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

But if I change it to Bridge-Mode and press on Save, the page only gets refreshed and Router-Mode is selected again.

For me it would be a better option than now, to put my router in the DMZ, but the problem is I don't have this DMZ Menu anymore, and here my question, is anyone out there who does have this menu yet and can give me the configuration link?

Would be great ;)

From what I've seen in this thread so far, UPC Austria block bridge mode so it can't be done.

• Advertisement

From what I've seen in this thread so far, UPC Austria block bridge mode so it can't be done.

My question was about DMZ link, not bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

MickeyD wrote: »
    I had to diagnose a problem with one of these recently and it turned out it was bridge mode that was the problem (had been previously enabled via the hidden bridge mode page).

Connection was dropping once or twice a day which eventually turned into dropping every 10 minutes (modem signal lights and SNR/power levels were all fine). I switched it back to router mode (again via the hidden page, SNMP doesn't seem to be enabled anymore) and used the DMZ method instead and it was back working fine.

Just letting ye know in case you run into similar troubles. It might be a problem with this particular modem but I'd say its more of a firmware issue.

P.S. the ping/traceroute diagnostic tools on the modem page always seem to give request timed out regardless of connectivity status.

I've been with UPC for a few months now, using the TC7200 I was given. I'm having massive problems with online gaming (3+ second timeouts every 30 secs or so, constantly) and I'm wondering if they could be solved by bridging the modem so it's not doing any wifi work.

I have an Asus RT-N16 I was using to do this with my last broadband (not cable) and it worked well. Any advice? I see mentions in this thread of SNMP / hidden bridge mode page / DMZ method. Anyone got a link to step by step instructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

I'm having problems with Xbox Live and the TC7200 too. GTA V is the only Xbox multiplayer game I've been trying to use and I can only play in private multiplayer sessions, alone. When I join a public multiplayer session it will run fine for maybe 10 minutes, or maybe 1 minute, and then completely disconnect me from Xbox Live.

It happens over wired and wireless connections. I fiddled with most of the router settings available - adding Xbox to DMZ, turn UPnP on/off, port forwarding the Xbox Live ports to the Xbox, static IP for Xbox, disabling firewall completely, and every combination in between, and I still get booted.

PC gaming is fine. I can join various multiplayer games and I can even host games from behind the TC7200. It is just the Xbox. And strangely, it wasn't always like this. I've had the TC7200 with Horizon for about 9 months and I had played GTA V online without any issues earlier in the year before this started happening. I'd say it all started about 2 or 3 months ago, so I wonder what has changed?

Has anyone gotten a resolution to Xbox Live connection issues from calling UPC tech support? I usually only call them as a last resort ;)

I finally got the Ubee Modem, which has a visible Bridge Mode.

Many people are wondering why they have problems with multiplayer. In Austria UPC started to distribute IPv6-IPs. In case you also are on IPv6 then this is the problem, call support and ask for getting back to IPv4 because you have problems with playing online and so on.

How to find out if you are on IPv6?
    I dont know where exactly to find but there are some DS Lite things where usual the modems ip appear, and dmz option is also disapearred if you are on IPv6.

If you are not in IPv6 and having problems you should open specific game ports in ports forwarding section to your client (pc, xbox360, ps3), and dmz host should be empty. If you fail to find out your ports or configuring them enter your desired client to the dmz.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bren4q

Manuel1948 wrote: »
    I don't have this DMZ Menu anymore, and here my question, is anyone out there who does have this menu yet and can give me the configuration link
    The link to DMZ setup on my TC7200 is:
    192.168.0.1/advanced/dmz.asp

bren4q wrote: »
    The link to DMZ setup on my TC7200 is:
    192.168.0.1/advanced/dmz.asp

thank you, but i don't need this anymore because now I have another modem and on IPv6 this is not possible because at ds-lite IPv6 version only the provider can make port settings, but thank u anyway.

LoBo wrote: »
    I've been with UPC for a few months now, using the TC7200 I was given. I'm having massive problems with online gaming (3+ second timeouts every 30 secs or so, constantly) and I'm wondering if they could be solved by bridging the modem so it's not doing any wifi work.

I have an Asus RT-N16 I was using to do this with my last broadband (not cable) and it worked well. Any advice? I see mentions in this thread of SNMP / hidden bridge mode page / DMZ method. Anyone got a link to step by step instructions?

OK so I enabled bridge mode via this URL (192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp), set up my Asus RT-N16 to handle wifi and connect to the TC7200 for internet connection. It works and my gaming issues have disappeared, proving that the TC7200 is the problem.

HOWEVER, like it seems many others in this thread, I now see the Asus RT-N16 lose its connection every hour or so. When this happens I have noticed a 2nd machine connected via LAN cable with the TC7200 does not lose connection.

Anyone have any suggestions?

There has to be some sort of compatibility issue with the Asus routers and the TC7200.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

There has to be some sort of compatibility issue with the Asus routers and the TC7200.

Not too sure about that, my experiences here in Ireland have been somewhat different to what seems to happening to other users.
    I have an Asus RT-N16 for a while now (before i got the TC7200) and have never had any of the disconnect problems described.
    I have run different versions of stock, tomato and merlin firmwares on the Asus. Have also run my TC7200 configured as a standard modem/router, in a dmz with the asus, and for the last while as a modem only.
    Switched to bridge mode using the snmp method with my laptop booted from a linux live cd (could never get windows to work).
    Only thing I can think of is that I switched my tc7200 to bridge mode, just as UPC where rolling out the firmware update to 6.01.27 - the upgrade happened immediately after I switched to bridge mode!

Local setup is mostly cabled with 2 TV's, 2 STB's, blueray player, raspbery pi, wdlive tv, small nas and a buffalo router configured as a wap. Then have the usual laptops, phones and tablets using the wireless.

Internet is in use mon-fri most of the day (not a heavy load), and then the usual evening stuff, so any disconnects would be immediately be noticed.

WW

Not too sure about that, my experiences here in Ireland have been somewhat different to what seems to happening to other users.
    I have an Asus RT-N16 for a while now (before i got the TC7200) and have never had any of the disconnect problems described.
    I have run different versions of stock, tomato and merlin firmwares on the Asus. Have also run my TC7200 configured as a standard modem/router, in a dmz with the asus, and for the last while as a modem only.
    Switched to bridge mode using the snmp method with my laptop booted from a linux live cd (could never get windows to work).
    Only thing I can think of is that I switched my tc7200 to bridge mode, just as UPC where rolling out the firmware update to 6.01.27 - the upgrade happened immediately after I switched to bridge mode!

Local setup is mostly cabled with 2 TV's, 2 STB's, blueray player, raspbery pi, wdlive tv, small nas and a buffalo router configured as a wap. Then have the usual laptops, phones and tablets using the wireless.

Internet is in use mon-fri most of the day (not a heavy load), and then the usual evening stuff, so any disconnects would be immediately be noticed.

WW

Why did you switch between bridged, normal modem and DMZ'd? Were you having problems?

I left an IRC program on all day yesterday and noticed the disconnects happened every 15 minutes exactly. Reconnect is pretty quick so you'd easily not notice every one of them during regular internet use (I thought it was about every hour before I checked). The TC7200 is on 192.168.0.1 and the RT-N16 is on a static IP of 192.168.0.2, with the rest of my network on 192.168.1.x managed by the RT-N16.

Having found this thread, I switched the RT-N16 to Access Point mode so it just repeats the network it's attached to. I then set my PC to have a static IP in the 192.168.0.x range, and everything is working without disconnects. However there's no DHCP option at all with the TC7200 in bridge mode and the RT-N16 in access point mode, so I'll have to set up ip addresses manually for every device in the house..

Would love to solve this

• Advertisement

Why did you switch between bridged, normal modem and DMZ'd? Were you having problems?

When the TC7200 first became available, there was no option to bridge it.
    In my case it was replacing an epc2203 modem, so when I got it I just switched off wireless and put in on a different subnet to what my asus was on. I then switched it to a dmz setup to see if it would improve things and ran with that for a good while. Then as info came available about switching to bridge mode, I made the jump using the snmp linux method.
    Following the firmware upgrade, the option is available if you know the relevant page address.
    If you read through some of the other forums, it seems that UPC are clamping down on the bridge mode change where they want to by modifying the settings at their end.

As regards the disconnets, are you seeing them logged as disconnect/connect in the TC7200 or the Asus?

The TC7200 doesn't lose connection (had my laptop lan cabled to it at the time of one to confirm, running a constant ping), just the Asus

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

would suggest to change the firmware on RTn16 to Tomato or some other alternative. Don't know if default firmware has an option to clear NVRAM but it might helps.

I am running myself Tomato by Shibby and have TC7200 in bridge mode, no problems so far.

One question, on what port do you have your TC7200 and Asus connected?
    If this is port one change to the second and see if any help.

Yeah it was port one. I'll give that a go

Just for reference I using firmware from here http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79
    Just upgraded last weekend to 374.43 from 373.40
    Worth a try

OK I tried switching the cable from port 1 to port 2 on the TC7200, moving the Asus back to wireless router mode. Disconnects happen again: interestingly, EXACTLY 45 mins after setup and then EXACTLY 30 mins later. Too specific to be coincidence (was every 15 mins exactly yesterday).

I will give your firmware a go on the asus, but I wonder is it a setting instead (a previous poster in this thread reported disconnects even trying multiple different firmwares on their asus)

Edit: then again EXACTLY 15 mins after

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

OK I tried switching the cable from port 1 to port 2 on the TC7200,

I was rather referring to port on your Asus not TC7200.

Ah. I've installed the firmware white_westie recommended now anyway, will see if that fixes things. 2 hrs without disconnect so far

Ah. I've installed the firmware white_westie recommended now anyway, will see if that fixes things. 2 hrs without disconnect so far

Any verdict yet?

• Advertisement

It's gone a whole day and looks like everything's working great. Thanks for that!

Advertisement