Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

For the time being I wrote this crude script and will keep it running on my router until I can source the issue. Pings an IP every second and if it times out within 2 seconds it'll restart the wan interface.
    #!/bin/sh

while true
    do
            OUT=`ping -W 2 -c 1 74.125.24.94 | grep "100%"`
            if [ -n "${OUT}" ]; then
                    ifup wan
                    echo -n `date` >> /tmp/watchdog.log
                    echo ": Restarted WAN interface ($OUT)" >> /tmp/watchdog.log
            fi
            sleep 1
    done

Hope that helps! Running on OpenWRT trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Where do you set it to run that script? Or is that only with the OpenWRT firmware?

Yeah I installed OpenWRT and did it via logging in with SSH. There may be a scripting interface somewhere in your router's management pages but I wouldn't have a clue where it is for your model I'm afraid.

edit: also the script may need to be rejigged if you're not using OpenWRT's shell, not sure if the commands and net interface names would all be the same otherwise.

I'm using the Merlin firmware posted by someone in this thread recently. It just adds to the pre-existing interface. Scripting looks possible, but haven't done it before, so will have a look:
    https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

The disconnects are becoming more frequent :/

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

I have had the same disconnecting issues when using bridgemode with the tc7200 and a netgear R7000.

Installing the tomato v121 firmware seems to have solved it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

fguinan wrote: »
    I have had the same disconnecting issues when using bridgemode with the tc7200 and a netgear R7000.

Installing the tomato v121 firmware seems to have solved it...

I spoke too soon, I had a disconnect overnight.

A friend of mine said he had similar issues before and had to go through a couple of modems before he got it to work. Apparently it's a known issue but rarely complained about. I'm not sure if it's the same modem / issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Flying Column

I havent gone through this whole thread but I try to check my DNS in the router settings and its looling for a username and password!! Where do i find these!!

edit....

figured it out. admin admin

MickeyD wrote: »
    For the time being I wrote this crude script and will keep it running on my router until I can source the issue. Pings an IP every second and if it times out within 2 seconds it'll restart the wan interface.
    #!/bin/sh

while true
    do
            OUT=`ping -W 2 -c 1 74.125.24.94 | grep "100%"`
            if [ -n "${OUT}" ]; then
                    ifup wan
                    echo -n `date` >> /tmp/watchdog.log
                    echo ": Restarted WAN interface ($OUT)" >> /tmp/watchdog.log
            fi
            sleep 1
    done

Hope that helps! Running on OpenWRT trunk.

Finally got around to getting this working on the merlin firmware. The only difference was 'ifup wan' didn't work so I changed it to 'service restart_wan' after some googling.

Will see if this helps. Disconnects have been 5+ times a day recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@LoBo are you getting anywhere with UPC themselves with the disconnects?

• Advertisement

Haven't even bothered trying them. I can imagine the painful conversation. Hopefully this will work for me now

This is what the script is logging by the way. So you can see how often it's happening:
    admin@RT-N16:/tmp# cat watchdog.log
    starting auto reconnector
    Wed Aug 6 01:15:36 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 02:24:35 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 02:24:43 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 03:33:03 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 04:41:14 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 05:49:17 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 05:49:23 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 06:57:21 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 06:57:28 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 08:05:51 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 09:14:54 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 09:14:59 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 09:15:03 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 10:24:25 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 10:24:32 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 11:34:20 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)
    Wed Aug 6 12:44:26 DST 2014: Restarted WAN interface (1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss)

Each time stamp there is when a ping has failed. I haven't noticed a disconnect when this happens now, so that's good.

Looks like it's doing it multiple times per disconnect sometimes (when it's ~10 seconds apart) so I might tweak the script to wait 10 sec after doing the wan service restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

LoBo wrote: »
    Haven't even bothered trying them. I can imagine the painful conversation

picard-riker-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

For anyone with Asus routers that are experiencing WAN disconnects, you are not alone....

' Is this a bug on Asus firmware? WAN disconnections' http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8433

Might be worth a read

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Hi,
    Haven't the time to read the whole thread but anybody know how to port forward these..?
    Haven't a clue with tech stuff

Thanks for any help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Hi,
    Haven't the time to read the whole thread but anybody know how to port forward these..?
    Haven't a clue with tech stuff

Thanks for any help folks

Try reading post number 24 then

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Can anyone recommend a good Powerline to use with this device. The wireless range really is bad and I believe this is my best solution. Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Hi all.

Just got this modem in the post today after explicitly stating I wanted a modem only with no wireless!!. :(

Can anyone point me in the direction to allow me to enable bridge mode and continue with my existing NAS/IP setup with a net gear n600.

Thanks

So I now have the netgear router in bridge mode and can get internet to all my devices.

Problem is, I am unable to log into the router at its IP address and I can longer access the NAS connected to it.

Can anyone advise as to whether I need to do something else with the technicolor to give me back full functionality with my netgear router?

BanjoB wrote: »
    So I now have the netgear router in bridge mode and can get internet to all my devices.

Problem is, I am unable to log into the router at its IP address and I can longer access the NAS connected to it.

Can anyone advise as to whether I need to do something else with the technicolor to give me back full functionality with my netgear router?
    What IP addresses are your devices getting?

• Advertisement

All my devices are in the 10.0.0 range :(

The reason I'm asking is that it might be getting the public IPs from the Technicolor if the modem and router are wired incorrectly. Make sure the only Ethernet cable in the TC7200 is going to the WAN port on your Netgear.

I'm so frustrated with this device.

I'm now at the stage where I have everything running as I want it in bridge mode but the connection drops every 40 minutes and does not automatically reconnect.

If I log into the netgear router and resave internet settings, my connection is fine again.

Upgrading was the worst decision I've made because my old scientific Atlanta modem/ netgear combo worked perfectly.

If I ring UPC and demand the Cisco modem, can anyone confirm that they can bridge it with no problems.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The CISCO EPC3925 has the Bridge option

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The CISCO EPC3925 has the Bridge option

Thanks. The tc7200 also has bridge mode through a hidden web page which I currently have enabled but it's the disconnects that are the problem.

From reading all this thread it seems like the disconnects are Only related to the tc7200.

Just rang UPC and demanded a Cisco Modem. Reply was you get what they have in the warehouse.

I asked to speak to a supervisor but he just insisted that they don't have any in stock and can't supply me with one.

I told them it is ridiculous that after an upgrade my existing setup is unusable and that I would leave UPC. He said that was fine!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Just rang UPC and demanded a Cisco Modem. Reply was you get what they have in the warehouse.

I asked to speak to a supervisor but he just insisted that they don't have any in stock and can't supply me with one.

I told them it is ridiculous that after an upgrade my existing setup is unusable and that I would leave UPC. He said that was fine!!.
    Ask for the customer retention department instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe it would be worth talking to the UPC Reps via their "Talk To" section here on Boards? They normally do try to help. Just hit the "Ask a Question button."

You might save me a search too, whats the address to the bridge page on the Technicolor TC7200

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

forget about Cisco, most of us was through it.
    do the bridge via smtp not the hidden page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

genek wrote: »
    forget about Cisco, most of us was through it.
    do the bridge via smtp not the hidden page.

Whatever yo mean, its not SMTP :pac:

Advertisement