Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

Does it actually make a difference if done via SNMP rather than the GUI?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Karsini wrote: »

This is what I would like to know. I haven't tried the SNMP route. Can anyone confirm that this option has worked for them with no disconnects using a separate wireless router.
    Mine is a netgear R6300.

Also, if I do manage to get my hands on a Cisco EP3925, can anyone confirm that this has worked without problems.

It's either if these or reluctantly move away from UPC. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

BanjoB wrote: »
    This is what I would like to know. I haven't tried the SNMP route. Can anyone confirm that this option has worked for them with no disconnects using a separate wireless router.
    Mine is a netgear R6300.

Yes, I have an Asus RT-N16 for a while now (before i got the TC7200) and have never had any of the disconnect problems described.
    I have run different versions of stock, tomato and merlin firmwares on the Asus. Have also run my TC7200 configured as a standard modem/router, in a dmz with the asus, and for the last few months as a modem only.
    Switched to bridge mode using the snmp method with my laptop booted from a linux live cd (could never get windows tools to work).
    I opted to switch to bridge mode, because UPC where rolling out the firmware update to 6.01.27 and was concerned that they would lock it out - the firmware upgrade happened immediately during the reconnect after I switched to bridge mode!
    The previous version of firmware did not have the hidden switch mode page, so I could never try it.

Worth considering if you are getting nowhere.

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

on the
    UPC Thomson TWG-870U - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide thread I think user called dolallyoh reported drops every 15 min while switched via GUI. I have my switched via SNMP and using Asus RT-n16 like white-westie, running Tomato by Shibby and no drops noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

So I just signed up to UPC in a new apartment, and they have sent me out one of the TC7200 routers. My current set up with sky is the sky hub, in bridging mode, with an apple airport router handling dhcp, with my cisco lab equipment running off it too, and an airport express upstairs to boost wifi signal and run airplay to a hifi.

Now I know from reading the thread that its a pain in the behind to get bridging set up on the TC7200, so my question is

should i bother going head to head with UPC to get a cisco box (i know they still ship them to business customers, and as like for like replacements) so the old "we dont have them any more" is crap.

Will i get the same results by just admitting defeat, and disabling wifi on the TC7, and using the apple router as an wireless AP and switch and just let the TC7 do the routing and dhcp.

• Advertisement

The general consensus I've observed recently is: bridge it but don't use the web GUI to do it. Use one of the SNMP methods mentioned in the bridging guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

Is anyone having issues with the TC7200 in bridge mode (activated via GUI, couldn't access SNMP - seems to be not accessible in the newest firmware) and the Apple Airport Extreme 6th-gen acting as a router?

Everything looks fine when it works!

working.jpg

Then after around 15 minutes the WAN interface on the Apple Airport Extreme gets disconnected.

When it happens the TC7200 connection lights are solid on and the connectivity state is operational.

TC7200.png

Should I blame Apple or UPC is doing something weird that causes the Airport Extreme to loose a connection to the modem (TC7200)?

It doesn't seem to work properly via the GUI. Try it via SNMP instead; it should be accessible if you disconnect the TV cable from the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

It doesn't seem to work properly via the GUI. Try it via SNMP instead; it should be accessible if you disconnect the TV cable from the modem.
    Just did it 10 minutes ago, sitting now and waiting for the result. Hopefully it will stay stable this time. Didn't know that SNMP is still accessible, found this tip with the coax cable in the other thread :D

UPDATE:
    Half an hour later still online, SNMP seems to be the only proper way to go. DON'T USE THE BROWSER/LINK METHOD. Thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I signed up with UPC in August, just thought I'd jot down a couple of points in relation to this router

1. out of the box everything seemed fine. Then the kids connected tablets (1 ipad and one Nexus 7) and some of their games and apps didn't work too well (or at all). They're only kids, who cares!
    2. Crappy wireless reception - ran a couple of Netgear wireless extenders and homeplugs to serve the rest of the house - all sorted
    3. Noticed that my satellite box wasn't seeing it's intended target. Switched DNS settings on TC7200 to OpenDNS
    4. tried bridging it using my trusty Billion Bipac 7800N (the greatest home router ever) - I hadn't stumbled upon this thread at that point and wasted a day or two trying to disable wireless on the TC7200. Gave up.
    5. Switched the wireless network on the TC7200 to 5Ghz - this fixed the issues from #1, hurray!
    6. Doing #5 meant that older devices couldn't connect. Hmm. Added the Billion back in, with a fixed IP outside of DHCP to run a wireless 2.4Ghz network, (and serve a handful of DHCP clients)
    7. I hadn't taken a TV package from UPC, just broadband (and basic phone). Despite this, used a splitter and ran a coax into the back of a TV for good old fashioned analogue cable. RTE1, hurray!
    8. Wondered by the broadband speed had gone to ****e
    9. Uplugged #8 and it's all fine again. Now I have no RTE1 though, boo.
    10. Switched TC7200 to another cable point I found at the back of the house. Moved everything (extenders, homeplugs) around and we're all happy for now

Not too impressed with the spec and range of the TC7200, but I found that switching to the 5Ghx network did make a meaningful difference, as did not using a coax splitter on the cable from the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wonder is the 5Ghx issue due to how much interference you're getting from other networks? I wonder is the issue with the splitter your signal level being low. For me mixed G & N doesn't work as well as N only. Had to juggle devices around to achieve this. N doesn't give me the range of G in my house.

I think UPC is shooting itself in both feet here though. Regular people can't do all this IT Config. So they'll get their 200 BB think its worse than their old 8mb line from eircom and go back to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

beauf wrote: »
    I wonder is the 5Ghx issue due to how much interference you're getting from other networks? I wonder is the issue with the splitter your signal level being low. For me mixed G & N doesn't work as well as N only. Had to juggle devices around to achieve this. N doesn't give me the range of G in my house.

I think UPC is shooting itself in both feet here though. Regular people can't do all this IT Config. So they'll get their 200 BB think its worse than their old 8mb line from eircom and go back to something else.

you could be right re the interference, there's quite a few other APs in the vicinity although I did try to use unused channels

your point about "regular people" monkeying about with all this crap did occur to be once or twice as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

Hello,

I have this TC7200 router and software version STD6.01.27. I've tried several times the snmp way to enable the bridge but I was unsuccessful. Even though I get no error on the snmpset command after reboot, connecting the RF cable back, the box is still in router mode. Now I tried the hidden page, didn't disconnect the RF cable, I select Bridge, hit the save button and page reloads with Router option selected, so for some reason this option is not working for me unless I am missing something...

What country are you in?

ah, sorry I'm in Ireland in Dublin.

Ah no bother, just I know it's blocked in other countries. :)

any ideas? should I reset the router to factory defaults and try again? or it just doesn't work on my software version.
    Funny thing with the snmp, I run snmpwalk and option 2 is active, run the snmpset to switch to 1, no errors but when I try to run snmpwalk again I am getting Timeout error...

Try it again with the RF cable removed. Keep it removed and see what IP you get. If it's 192.168.100.x (such as 192.168.100.10) then the modem is bridged. Then connect the cable and see what happens.

OK. Tried this evening again, powered off the router, unplug the RF cable, snmpset / snmpwalk to confirm that is mode 1. All good so far, with the RF cable still unplugged power-cycle the router, when is up I get the 192.168.100.10 IP which is great, it means it's all as it's supposed to be.

Now the funny part. Either just plug in the RF cable and power on the modem OR power off the modem, plug in the RF cable and power on the modem, initially I get 192.168.100.10 ip address but when the modem synchronises, all LEDs are lit, modem reboots and at this point is all back to router I am getting the 192.168.0.10 IP address :(

So I'm guessing that the moment some config is pushed with the synchronisation disables the bridge. If any of you have a different explanation I am opened to any suggestions.

Thank you.

That worries me. :( Sounds like UPC have blocked it in your config file!

• Advertisement

OK. Tried this evening again, powered off the router, unplug the RF cable, snmpset / snmpwalk to confirm that is mode 1. All good so far, with the RF cable still unplugged power-cycle the router, when is up I get the 192.168.100.10 IP which is great, it means it's all as it's supposed to be.

Now the funny part. At this point either just plug in the RF cable OR power off the modem, plug in the RF cable and power on the modem, initially I get 192.168.100.10 ip address but when the modem synchronises, all LEDs are lit, modem reboots and at this point is all back to router I am getting the 192.168.0.10 IP address :(

So I'm guessing that the moment some config is pushed with the synchronisation disables the bridge. If any of you have a different explanation I am opened to any suggestions.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

jeremy_g wrote: »

Now the funny part. At this point either just plug in the RF cable OR power off the modem, plug in the RF cable and power on the modem, initially I get 192.168.100.10 ip address but when the modem synchronises, all LEDs are lit, modem reboots and at this point is all back to router I am getting the 192.168.0.10 IP address :(

Thank you.

Very strange.

I just got connected to UPC for the first time last week and received my new TC7200. It performed a firmware upgrade when I first connected it and then I followed the steps in the guide to enable bridge mode. I had no issues and it has remained in bridge mode. I also tested reversion to router mode (holding reset button for 30 seconds) and then went back to bridge mode. It's been working for the past week and I have recycled the TC7200 a couple of times since.

I used method 2 to enable bridge mode - unplugged cable from TC7200 and used the ireasoning MIB browser to set the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

Hiya folks,

Just need to ask a few things here:

1. Is the tc7200 is using ipv6 already? Because i could see some weird long addresses in my mac mini's network preferences (which ive never seen it there before). I could vaguely remember someone did mention about this in here previously or in another thread but couldnt really remember the details of it

2. Seeing that our tc7200 is incapable of running dual band simultaneously, im planning to get a dual band wireless router in the hope that my house will have a better wifi range as well with the new setup. So does this snmp bridging thing is really necessary? Because afaik in tp-link routers, we jst hv to configure them to run "access point" mode, connect cat 5e cable to tc7200 lan port, and disable tc7200's wifi - wouldnt that be sufficient?
    Otherwise why would we have to bridge tc7200 (if this setup is enough)?

Hope someone can explain (again?) to me as to why we should bridge tc7200 if we want to use our own routers.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

xerophyll wrote: »
    Hope someone can explain (again?) to me as to why we should bridge tc7200 if we want to use our own routers.

If you have to ask that then you probably dont need to do it. Bridging gives much more advanced control for those who like to admin their own network.

You just want better wifi, so all you need to do is setup the new unit as a wireless access point(turn of DHCP etc) and connect it. Simpler setup and you wont lose all technical support from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

So i just received a Technicolor TC7200 .U this morning, i haven't set it up yet but it can be put into bridge mode ? as id prefer to have my own router

So i just received a Technicolor TC7200 .U this morning, i haven't set it up yet but it can be put into bridge mode ? as id prefer to have my own router

Yes, see this thread: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/92425217

Don't use the web GUI method as it doesn't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jeyfk

donal100 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to setup the parental controls? I went into basic setup and enabled parental controls then went web site filters and added two sites and saved it but they can still be accessed... Any help would be great!

I've done it same way, added ToD filters too.
    It's working on my phones :) but not working on a laptop.
    Anybody knows why?
    I called to upc: they dont suport that (!?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

finally decided to try bridging mode today using the snmp method but unfortunately i had the same problem as jeremy_g had! tc7200 all configured nicely but once you reattach the coax cable and modem syncs, all that bridging mode settings are lost! anyone able to help out on this?

• Advertisement

xerophyll wrote: »
    finally decided to try bridging mode today using the snmp method but unfortunately i had the same problem as jeremy_g had! tc7200 all configured nicely but once you reattach the coax cable and modem syncs, all that bridging mode settings are lost! anyone able to help out on this?

Out of interest, if you log into the modem and click Basic at the top, is the IP address a v4 or v6 address?

Advertisement