Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

demixed wrote: »
    Haven't looked through the entire thread, but technicolours sometimes have Administrator & the serial number as the password.

No telnet/ssh response on router ip address, but did get a telnet login prompt on public address 192.168.100.1.

Tried suggestions for login/password but no go - have been locked out now, so will try later on (cannot reboot router at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You could always try, but don't forget UPC are the owner of all devices, so 'how one could have a spare one' could be questioned when you contact them.....

A valid point I guess.

There was a lot of complaining about the 3925 and its poor wireless, but, it sounds like the Technicolor are the pits altogether?

Why would UPC make such poor decisions regarding their standard choice of box? Is it purely down to keeping it as simple as possible for their support staff? or is it whom ever gives them the best deal on bulk buys regardless of features, or even a combination of both? Do they replace stock firmware with their own locked down version regardless of box type?

UPC must be aware from forums such as this that there are an awful lot of savvy users who at the very least require the ability to bridge and port forward, yet they consistently block such features? They must know that aside from the generation of users who only need to email or Skype their loved ones in foreign lands that the fast moving pace of technology in today's world is closely followed by and much better understood by the current generation of enthusiastic users who were born knowing this technology as a accepted way of life which for them has always been there and not something they had to study hard to grasp.

I'm sure there is some highly paid laws of probability strategist behind their logic, but it plain sucks.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A valid point I guess.

There was a lot of complaining about the 3925 and its poor wireless, but, it sounds like the Technicolor are the pits altogether?

Why would UPC make such poor decisions regarding their standard choice of box? Is it purely down to keeping it as simple as possible for their support staff? or is it whom ever gives them the best deal on bulk buys regardless of features, or even a combination of both? Do they replace stock firmware with their own locked down version regardless of box type?

UPC must be aware from forums such as this that there are an awful lot of savvy users who at the very least require the ability to bridge and port forward, yet they consistently block such features? They must know that aside from the generation of users who only need to email or Skype their loved ones in foreign lands that the fast moving pace of technology in today's world is closely followed by and much better understood by the current generation of enthusiastic users who were born knowing this technology as a accepted way of life which for them has always been there and not something they had to study hard to grasp.

I'm sure there is some highly paid laws of probability strategist behind their logic, but it plain sucks.

Imagine selling BMWs with lousy tyres that could not be replaced by better ones?

The points you make above merely emphasise that UPC have contempt for customers on an ongoing basis - one has only to read their "Talk to " forum to realise this. There is lots of "Talking to" but very little listening or actual engagement by UPC. For example after a recent major outage when queries were posted asking for the cause we were told that UPC had no information to share!!!!!

Anyone asking a question which does not fall within the stock reply of "forward us your account details" is made feel like an impertinent school boy who has spoken out of turn.

UPC are only too well aware of the demand for a product which will allow bridging etc., They choose to ignore it (without deigning to give a reason) - what does that say about their attitude to customers on an ongoing basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Been following this thread for a while. Mainly looking for tips to improve Broadband speed, internet, wifi etc.
    Very much a novice but getting there.
    My point is tried a number of things but what helped most was a dongle for laptop.
    Belkin Play N600 Dual-Band. Laptop is about 6 years old.
    Recently upgraded broadband with UPC to 100M package & only ever saw 18 to 20 tops.
    With dongle now seeing 60+ on regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You could always try, but don't forget UPC are the owner of all devices, so 'how one could have a spare one' could be questioned when you contact them.....

Agreed - it's not something that they would generally do.

However, it has worked for me in the past. My EPC2425 at the time crapped out. I still had an EPC2203 lying around, which I asked them to provision as I was pretty stuck without the net at the time. They were really accommodating and agreed to this. :)

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Agreed - it's not something that they would generally do.

However, it has worked for me in the past. My EPC2425 at the time crapped out. I still had an EPC2203 lying around, which I asked them to provision as I was pretty stuck without the net at the time. They were really accommodating and agreed to this. :)

So I assume that the original EPC2203 you had was originally supplied to you for your use by UPC prior to you upgrading to the EPC2425? So they were aware you had it so to speak?

I was looking at it from the perspective of getting a spare 3925 from somewhere like Adverts or somewhere similar as a possible way to avoid having to accept a Technicolor if my current unit died, but as pointed out, they may very well refuse to provision that? Units advertised are pretty much useless so unless you got lucky?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

So I assume that the original EPC2203 you had was originally supplied to you for your use by UPC prior to you upgrading to the EPC2425? So they were aware you had it so to speak?

I was looking at it from the perspective of getting a spare 3925 from somewhere like Adverts or somewhere similar as a possible way to avoid having to accept a Technicolor if my current unit died, but as pointed out, they may very well refuse to provision that? Units advertised are pretty much useless so unless you got lucky?

Its one of those things - you wont know until you ask them:pac:

On a side note I was told recently by a tech, that they are not giving them 3925's unless its for a business account - all new/upgraded consumer accounts are being given the Technicolor TC7200UIR model.

Its one of those things - you wont know until you ask them:pac:

On a side note I was told recently by a tech, that they are not giving them 3925's unless its for a business account - all new/upgraded consumer accounts are being given the Technicolor TC7200UIR model.

That's more of it. I read another post recently were a user said a Tech told them that they were almost totally out of 3925's and they were near impossible to get. They seem to say whatever suits the moment me thinks :)

That's more of it. I read another post recently were a user said a Tech told them that they were almost totally out of 3925's and they were near impossible to get. They seem to say whatever suits the moment me thinks :)

When I was speaking to the tech, his van was full to the brim of boxes and I was trying to sweet talk him into swapping my 7200 for a 3925, but he just had none:(

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I just told UPC that I was on the verge of signing up with them but wouldn't do it if I couldn't have a Cisco modem. This was in an online chat. The person I was talking to seemed to think that you could "buy your own" EPC3925 and use it on the network. I find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I just told UPC that I was on the verge of signing up with them but wouldn't do it if I couldn't have a Cisco modem. This was in an online chat. The person I was talking to seemed to think that you could "buy your own" EPC3925 and use it on the network. I find that hard to believe.
    Don't believe a single word of it. Use the WEP excuse and speak to an agent on the phone, by calling 1908, while taking the offer up online to save on the connection fees. The idea is to tell them you have one or more old laptops that only support WEP. The Technicolor TC2700 does not support WEP and as a result, UPC have been convinced by some to have a Cisco EPC3925 sent out instead. It's worth a shot.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Don't believe a single word of it. Use the WEP excuse and speak to an agent on the phone, by calling 1908, while taking the offer up online to save on the connection fees. The idea is to tell them you have one or more old laptops that only support WEP. The Technicolor TC2700 does not support WEP and as a result, UPC have been convinced by some to have a Cisco EPC3925 sent out instead. It's worth a shot.

Did you see this posting from UPC re WEP support http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85398200 :cool:

Did you see this posting from UPC re WEP support http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85398200 :cool:
    Ah you're fuc*king joking me. I'd still try it because the agent on the phone might not be any the wiser. Can't hurt.

I still cannot figure out why they'd go to so much trouble to remove the bridging option from this modem. I suppose they thought we'd never figure out this time that it is possible to do it, but for the UPC NL site, we might not have known. They're taking the absolute piss.

I still cannot figure out why they'd go to so much trouble to remove the bridging option from this modem. I suppose they thought we'd never figure out this time that it is possible to do it, but for the UPC NL site, we might not have known.

Can you link to the instructions for that? :)

Can you link to the instructions for that? :)
    The UPC NL site has instructions for bridging it but their firmware also has the functionality intact. The instructions won't do you any good over here.

But here's the NL site's instructions all the same:
    https://vragen.upc.nl/app/answers/detail/a_id/1153/~/eigen-router-aansluiten-op-technicolor-tc7200

Until UPC Ireland decide to put the functionality back in, there will be no bridging the device. A HTML injection using the HTML source for the "Switch mode" page that I obtained from a Dutch person who obtained it from a Dutch device does not work as the script files needed to run are not accessible (due to removal from the firmware or insufficient privileges to access it).

Ah you're fuc*king joking me. I'd still try it because the agent on the phone might not be any the wiser. Can't hurt.

Menu option/labelling for WEP is very intuitive.
    Switch off 802.11 mode and WEP gets activated as a security option:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Anybody else get the call for the all singing and dancing horizon box?

TV box,modem and wireless router all in one box,150MB broadband,HD channels and double the phone minutes-80 euro a month? Special trial offer mind you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

wiz569 wrote: »
    Dont use powerline adaptors but do use sat boxes, had to disable dhcp on the boxes and use static ips instead,pain in the arse
    Same as myself - have always used static addresses for sat boxes, media players, tv etc.

Can you tell me how you did this as I have 2 sat boxes and can't them to work with the technicolor 7200 installed this week ?
    Thanks in advance.

Can you tell me how you did this as I have 2 sat boxes and can't them to work with the technicolor 7200 installed this week ?
    Thanks in advance.

Go into the sat boxes network settings and disable/turn off DHCP,then give it a static ip address,within the new subnet, while in there

I used to leave DHCP on and assign a static IP to them through my old router settings,so they always got the same IP address,very important when using satellite boxes ;)

So whatever the boxes IP used to be under the old router setup I just used that same IP,just changing the one digit because of different router subnet,

i.e.

sat box ip was 192.168.1.22 assigned by old router

sat box ip now 192.168.0.22 assigned in the boxes network settings

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

wiz569 wrote: »
    Go into the sat boxes network settings and disable/turn off DHCP,then give it a static ip address,within the new subnet, while in there

I used to leave DHCP on and assign a static IP to them through my old router settings,so they always got the same IP address,very important when using satellite boxes ;)

So whatever the boxes IP used to be under the old router setup I just used that same IP,just changing the one digit because of different router subnet,

i.e.

sat box ip was 192.168.1.22 assigned by old router

sat box ip now 192.168.0.22 assigned in the boxes network settings

:)

Got it working, play station wasn't connecting to server either so rang UPC and the guy accessed the modem and made some changes. All works now so back in biz.

• Advertisement

Got it working, play station wasn't connecting to server either so rang UPC and the guy accessed the modem and made some changes. All works now so back in biz.

But did he explain what he did?
    Otherwise you will be ringing them every time you have a problem, not too keen on them just logging into the modem tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skiesofeurope

Ive had this modem for 50mb broadband now for about two months.

Last night the wireless seems to have disabled itself. The wireless light will not illuminate regarding of anything ive tried (multiple resets, factory default restore).

No wireless network from the device is visible and when you try to select the wireless settings tab in the modem page (192.168.0.1) it returns a webpage not found error.

UPC went through many resets with me on the phone today and could not figure it out... they have decided that an engineer will need to visit but they could not provide an engineer appointment until next Thursday"

Has anybody had this issue before or know what may be causing the problem?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Got the Technicolour router today and the promise of 150mb broadband unfortunately the US LED on the box is continuously flashing and it can't get online, anyone else experience this when they received their router?

Ive had this modem for 50mb broadband now for about two months.

Last night the wireless seems to have disabled itself. The wireless light will not illuminate regarding of anything ive tried (multiple resets, factory default restore).

No wireless network from the device is visible and when you try to select the wireless settings tab in the modem page (192.168.0.1) it returns a webpage not found error.

UPC went through many resets with me on the phone today and could not figure it out... they have decided that an engineer will need to visit but they could not provide an engineer appointment until next Thursday"

Has anybody had this issue before or know what may be causing the problem?

Thanks!

Sounds like your modem might have crapped out:(
    Wonder has the current high temperatures upset it:cool:
    BTW do the wired lan ports work okay?

justryan wrote: »
    Got the Technicolour router today and the promise of 150mb broadband unfortunately the US LED on the box is continuously flashing and it can't get online, anyone else experience this when they received their router?

Have you been in contact with UPC as sometimes they have to be prompted to activate the modem address.

Have you been in contact with UPC as sometimes they have to be prompted to activate the modem address.

Yep they advised to reset it, leave it sit for an hour but still get flashing US light DS light is solid so it seems it can't transmit for some reason. The tech support agent asked for the CMAC on the phone I presume this is how they remotely activate the modem.

I've removed the splitter and connected just the router to the UPC access point as suggested earlier in this thread, still no joy as yet but I'm open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Skiesofeurope

Everything in the modem is working fine except the wireless function. Phone and Internet access through LAN all working fine.
    I suspected the weather may have something to do with it as the modem was extremely hot to touch when I first realised the wireless had gone down.

Here's a photo of the router status page: 2dt1v2g.jpg

Everything in the modem is working fine except the wireless function. Phone and Internet access through LAN all working fine.
    I suspected the weather may have something to do with it as the modem was extremely hot to touch when I first realised the wireless had gone down.

I noticed mine runs hot too, so I made sure it was not covered up.
    The reason why I suggested a heat problem is that previously an Eircom router I had ended up the same way - no wireless and 2 lan ports dead.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    Here's a photo of the router status page: 2dt1v2g.jpg

Your modem has not connected to the UPC network, so it looks like you have a cable fault with your point, or they have not activated your mac address, or your are unlucky to have a crapped out modem?

From memory, when I got new modem, I had all lights working but just no service, so I had to ring them to activate it. Was activated within 30mins or so. I was only getting an upgrade, so my point was active and working beforehand.

Did your UPC point ever work? If it was anew point then the tech should have tested it electrically. If it already existed then who knows.
    Either way its a UPC issue.

One thing you could check is to ensure that the mac address you gave them over the phone is the one on your modem and that is what they have activated at their end!

Advertisement