Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Trying to login and correct a few things. Keep getting:

Someone has activated the LAN interface. Please wait.

Have disconnected all other devices from the thing except my laptop

EDIT: Magically, now it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Dartz wrote: »
    Trying to login and correct a few things. Keep getting:

Someone has activated the LAN interface. Please wait.

Have disconnected all other devices from the thing except my laptop

EDIT: Magically, now it works.

If you change a setting and it does a reboot when you click save, you will be locked out until you reboot again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Your modem has not connected to the UPC network, so it looks like you have a cable fault with your point, or they have not activated your mac address, or your are unlucky to have a crapped out modem?

From memory, when I got new modem, I had all lights working but just no service, so I had to ring them to activate it. Was activated within 30mins or so. I was only getting an upgrade, so my point was active and working beforehand.

Did your UPC point ever work? If it was anew point then the tech should have tested it electrically. If it already existed then who knows.
    Either way its a UPC issue.

One thing you could check is to ensure that the mac address you gave them over the phone is the one on your modem and that is what they have activated at their end!

Well here's my history with UPC:

http://boards.ie/thread/2056937550/3

Only recently contacted them again on the off chance there was service in the area.

justryan wrote: »
    Well here's my history with UPC:

http://boards.ie/thread/2056937550/3

Only recently contacted them again on the off chance there was service in the area.

Just read through your woes:(

Something is just not right on the UPC side. Think you are going to have to bite your tongue and see it through to the end, not matter how many tech visits it requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I received this modem on Monday and I'm happy with the basic function. On the old modem I could only get a little over 20 Mbps wirelessly (of the 30 Mbps), now I'm getting a consistent 51 - 54 Mbps on my 50 Mbps line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ekilko

Hi

I just got one of these routers and the set up etc was fine but I was wondering if its possible to extend it with another router to give LAN to a number of PCs. also anyone had any experience of using it with Apple TV?

EK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Just read through your woes:(

Something is just not right on the UPC side. Think you are going to have to bite your tongue and see it through to the end, not matter how many tech visits it requires.

Oh definitely sure I have come this far and I don't fancy being stuck with Magnet on a 2mb connection forever, we will see what the engineer says on Tuesday god help him if he says there is no connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

ekilko wrote: »
    Hi

I just got one of these routers and the set up etc was fine but I was wondering if its possible to extend it with another router to give LAN to a number of PCs. also anyone had any experience of using it with Apple TV?

EK

Extend it wireless or hardwired

If hardwired then yes just disable wireless and dhcp on the new router, change its lan address to one at the higher end of the range of the technicolour like 192.168.0.200,
    Then run a cable from lan port to lan port, and you should be good to go, may need to reboot both routers as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ekilko

wiz569 wrote: »
    Extend it wireless or hardwired

If hardwired then yes just disable wireless and dhcp on the new router, change its lan address to one at the higher end of the range of the technicolour like 192.168.0.200,
    Then run a cable from lan port to lan port, and you should be good to go, may need to reboot both routers as well,

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Today I was on the phone to UPC. I'd like to order their TV, Internet, Phone bundle but I'm concerned that the Technicolor modem doesn't allow bridge mode.

The sales guy hadn't a clue what I was talking about and passed me to the technical team. They gave me a "premium" phone number (1550924124) for their "advanced PC team" (or something). The guy said that the guys at that number can enable bridge mode on the router. I told him I wasn't going to pay €1.50/minute to find out that he doesn't know what he's talking about and that, if bridge mode can be enabled, somebody should ring me to tell me about it.

Anyone ever call that number and/or get results?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought that number was just a premium line for tech support. You ring it if your PC isn't working right or you can't install your printer or whatever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Today I was on the phone to UPC. I'd like to order their TV, Internet, Phone bundle but I'm concerned that the Technicolor modem doesn't allow bridge mode.

The sales guy hadn't a clue what I was talking about and passed me to the technical team. They gave me a "premium" phone number (1550924124) for their "advanced PC team" (or something). The guy said that the guys at that number can enable bridge mode on the router. I told him I wasn't going to pay €1.50/minute to find out that he doesn't know what he's talking about and that, if bridge mode can be enabled, somebody should ring me to tell me about it.

Anyone ever call that number and/or get results?

This post makes appalling reading - I have long been suspicious of how people are referred to this number and the lack of comeback when people feel they have been ripped off.

Could you please do us all a favour and copy this post to the talk to UPC forum and ask for an explanation as to why they attempted to rip you off?

Presumably this is what he was referring you to?

http://service.upc.ie/service/?aid=84

Our Premium PC Support is a new support service designed to help customers resolve computer problems that are not directly related to our broadband service.

The nature of the Internet and computers means that customers may experience a wide range of problems that prevent them from going online or making the most of their computer. Often these issues are unrelated to the broadband service we provide, for example, problems with Internet viruses, operating systems, home networking, third party hardware like printers and Virus Protection, or other software.

Have to agree with dub45 on this, absolute disgrace of a response from UPC.
    Not sure you will get a satisfactory answer on the 'Talk To UPC' forum, but I think its important that issues like this are posted on the only official! UPC forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Has anyone any suggestions on how to improve the wireless range on this piece of rubbish? i got this router a couple of weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble streaming netflix on the PS3. Id say the ps3 is about 20 feet from the router but its constantly buffering. Would I be better off buying a wirless router and using the technicolor as a modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

alanc2003 wrote: »
    Has anyone any suggestions on how to improve the wireless range on this piece of rubbish? i got this router a couple of weeks ago and have had nothing but trouble streaming netflix on the PS3. Id say the ps3 is about 20 feet from the router but its constantly buffering. Would I be better off buying a wirless router and using the technicolor as a modem?

Unfortunately you cannot use it in modem only mode as that option has been removed/not available on the current firmware

If its only 20ft away why not use a cable - something that works all the time.

If its only 20ft away why not use a cable - something that works all the time.

its 20ft away in a different room, the missus wouldnt be too happy if i started drilling holes and running cables all over the place. Wireless is the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

its 20ft away in a different room, the missus wouldnt be too happy if i started drilling holes and running cables all over the place. Wireless is the only option

Home plugs?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Home plugs?

Have one of them, the wireless signal from the technicolor router is pretty bad. I'm getting about 11mb from 50mb going thru that. Sitting beside the router on the laptop, I'm getting 20mb, thought I wud be getting more than that. Ideally I'd like to plug something into the router with a better wireless range

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Home plugs?

I'll second that. Just plug both home plugs into different sockets and connect one of them to a free port on back of modem and the other to your laptop/PC. Then pair them (within 2 minutes)

You should get the same speeds as if you connect the modem directly to computer. Look at this link for an idea.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av500-gigabit-powerline-adapter-kit-7V4C.html

Regards

• Advertisement

cunnijo wrote: »
    I'll second that. Just plug both home plugs into different sockets and connect one of them to a free port on back of modem and the other to your laptop/PC. Then pair them (within 2 minutes)

You should get the same speeds as if you connect the modem directly to computer. Look at this link for an idea.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-av500-gigabit-powerline-adapter-kit-7V4C.html

Regards

Sorry it was a wireless extender I had, I'll look at getting this things so. They should do the trick. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Sorry it was a wireless extender I had, I'll look at getting this things so. They should do the trick. Cheers

Hi, I have signed up to UPC BB a few weeks back and the wireless signal from the technicolor router is crap, also the speed is crap even when close by. Anyone any ideas on how to speed this up? Also has anyone used these plugs, I'd like to buy but would like to be sure before i spend 60 quid. Thanks.

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Also has anyone used these plugs, I'd like to buy but would like to be sure before i spend 60 quid. Thanks.

I use Home plugs for both general use and streaming media via an Xbox and have had no problems with them (I use DEVOLO) never used TPLink.

You will get a slight drop in speeds compared to direct wired but it's not dramatic and is head and shoulders better than wireless.

At the end of the day you'll never beat direct cable but if boring holes and running cables all over the missus is a consideration? Homeplugs are a great & quick solution.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I wish there was a way for me to guarantee speeds over homeplugs....

I have the 150Mb service and would love not to drill holes upstairs. Say la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

At the end of the day you'll never beat direct cable but if boring holes and running cables all over the missus is a consideration? Homeplugs are a great & quick solution.

Thanks for that, one other option i'm considering. When UPC sent me out the technicolor router they accidentally sent 2, I never bothered sending the other one back. Is it possible to connect the second one (in a different room) to the first using a LAN cable, then I would have a strong wireless signal in the second room. I don't know much about networking, but I read that these routers cannot be turned into a switch, is this what this refers to? Thanks.

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, one other option i'm considering. When UPC sent me out the technicolor router they accidentally sent 2, I never bothered sending the other one back. Is it possible to connect the second one (in a different room) to the first using a LAN cable, then I would have a strong wireless signal in the second room. I don't know much about networking, but I read that these routers cannot be turned into a switch, is this what this refers to? Thanks.

You can normally use the second router as an access point but not in this case as the features you need to disable or not accessible due to locked down firmware I think?

previously i had a modem and and the wireless as a separate box. the wireless box was netgear. i disabled wireless on the the technicolor and plugged the netgear into the lan port. i was able to connect to this, unfortuntely its a bit old and was wirless g so the speeds werent great so had to go back. Is there a wireless n router i cud do the same with? could be an alternative to buying the plugs if it got good speeds, although i think ill go with the plugs myself

previously i had a modem and and the wireless as a separate box. the wireless box was netgear. i disabled wireless on the the technicolor and plugged the netgear into the lan port. i was able to connect to this, unfortuntely its a bit old and was wirless g so the speeds werent great so had to go back. Is there a wireless n router i cud do the same with? could be an alternative to buying the plugs if it got good speeds, although i think ill go with the plugs myself

The plugs will be better than wireless no matter how good your wireless signal is

You can normally use the second router as an access point but not in this case as the features you need to disable or not accessible due to locked down firmware I think?

The basic principles to convert a 2nd router into an access point are:-

1) disable wan port (if firmware allows)
    2) give 2nd router a static ip address in the same subnet as the primary router but outside its dhcp range
    3) disable dhcp on 2nd router
    4) enable wireless on 2nd router (disable on primary if you are not going to use it), change channel, SSID, security etc
    5) connect primary router to 2nd router using lan ports only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My home plug vary a lot room to room as I assume it depends on how clean the electrical circuit is.

What I've noticed with WiFi is some WiFi devices slow down the WiFi for everyone. The home plugs avoid that at least.

Advertisement