Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

The plugs will be better than wireless no matter how good your wireless signal is

Agree, cable is best, followed by homeplugs, then wireless.

Don't use homeplugs myself, did the drilling and ran the cables etc, but be aware there can be issues with using homeplugs as well - radiation being one.
    There are a number of posts on here, explaining this is more detail, with some posters having very strong opinions.

It seems there are good quality plugs, and crappy ones out there, so do your research - brand could be important. I think 60-100euro is the going rate for a pair.

beauf wrote: »
    My home plug vary a lot room to room as I assume it depends on how clean the electrical circuit is.

What I've noticed with WiFi is some WiFi devices slow down the WiFi for everyone. The home plugs avoid that at least.

You need to use same standard on all devices - all N or your network will be pulled down to G.

The plugs will be better than wireless no matter how good your wireless signal is

They add around 20ms latency over wireless / ethernet for me.
    However I have one of the very first ones released.

Solid performance overall.

Do the newer ones have similar latency?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

The basic principles to convert a 2nd router into an access point are:-

1) disable wan port (if firmware allows)
    2) give 2nd router a static ip address in the same subnet as the primary router but outside its dhcp range
    3) disable dhcp on 2nd router
    4) enable wireless on 2nd router (disable on primary if you are not going to use it), change channel, SSID, security etc
    5) connect primary router to 2nd router using lan ports only

Good information to have, thanks, but am I correct is saying that you cannot do this with the UPC Technicolor?

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Good information to have, thanks, but am I correct is saying that you cannot do this with the UPC Technicolor?

Not sure, and am not in a position to test, but if you want to try

1) disable wan port - don't connect coaxial cable
    2) give 2nd router a static ip address in the same subnet as the primary router but outside its dhcp range - that can be done
    3) disable dhcp on 2nd router - that can be done
    4) enable wireless on 2nd router, change channel, SSID, security etc - that can be done
    5) connect primary router to 2nd router using lan ports only - than can be done

All above can be done, but I'm not sure if the TC7200 configured this way as an access point will play ball with a TC7200 as a primary router.
    But since you have 2, and this setup involves making no changes to your primary router, its something you can do risk free!

Just something on the wireless options, it seems to only let you have the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz mode active.
    Also, your 2nd router should also just act as a switch - that means you should be able to plug in another 3 devices using cable into the 2nd router's lan ports, and they all should work.

If you have the time and some cables then its worth a try!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

50 meg upgrades finally available in my area so filled out the online form to upgrade from 30 this evening. Searched to see what modem/router i would be getting and am shocked to see its this Technicolor inferior product. I only bought a new tp-link 450meg router a few weeks ago and now i find out i won't be able to use it.
    I'm wonder can i call them and demand the cisco 3925 or just cancel the upgrade altogether as i don't want to use the Technicolor as my main router. Is there network and port forwarding issues with the techni? Basically how bad is it and its limitations going forward?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

50 meg upgrades finally available in my area so filled out the online form to upgrade from 30 this evening. Searched to see what modem/router i would be getting and am shocked to see its this Technicolor inferior product. I only bought a new tp-link 450meg router a few weeks ago and now i find out i won't be able to use it.
    I'm wonder can i call them and demand the cisco 3925 or just cancel the upgrade altogether as i don't want to use the Technicolor as my main router. Is there network and port forwarding issues with the techni? Basically how bad is it and its limitations going forward?

Called tech support with the WEP excuse and they said the Techno will work in that mode.
    Then said I needed to Bridge and wanted the Cisco and they said no Cisco left in Stock. I told her I wanted to cancel the upgrade as I needed bridging but she said I would have to cancel through DPD :mad: Just to confirm there is no way I can just use the techno as a modem and use my own router for my Network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Called tech support with the WEP excuse and they said the Techno will work in that mode.
    Then said I needed to Bridge and wanted the Cisco and they said no Cisco left in Stock. I told her I wanted to cancel the upgrade as I needed bridging but she said I would have to cancel through DPD :mad: Just to confirm there is no way I can just use the techno as a modem and use my own router for my Network?

Unfortunately no it cannot be used just as a modem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

I was in a similar situation to you and only agreed to a broadband upgrade on the basis that I would be provided with the EPC3925 which I intended to bridge (I explicitly said I wouldn't upgrade if that piece-of-crap Technicolor was the modem provided). UPC agreed to this, set up the upgrade and sent out the modem.

Lo and behold, what actually arrived was the Technicolor. When I followed up on it with UPC, they said that they were out of stock on the cisco and the Techicolor was the one that was being issued! (Fair enough but why try and mislead me into upgrading in the first place?) Anyway, I just asked to be put through to the tech dept and I was reconnected to my old standalone modem and reversed the upgrade. Despite my offering to return the Technicolor, there was no enthusiasm on their part so it's now gathering dust - so obviously UPC don't value it much either!

Twiki wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation to you and only agreed to a broadband upgrade on the basis that I would be provided with the EPC3925 which I intended to bridge (I explicitly said I wouldn't upgrade if that piece-of-crap Technicolor was the modem provided). UPC agreed to this, set up the upgrade and sent out the modem.

Lo and behold, what actually arrived was the Technicolor. When I followed up on it with UPC, they said that they were out of stock on the cisco and the Techicolor was the one that was being issued! (Fair enough but why try and mislead me into upgrading in the first place?) Anyway, I just asked to be put through to the tech dept and I was reconnected to my old standalone modem and reversed the upgrade. Despite my offering to return the Technicolor, there was no enthusiasm on their part so it's now gathering dust - so obviously UPC don't value it much either!

So the DPD guy doesn't take the old modem when he delivers the new one??

How hard is it to forward ports on the Techni? I have an ipcam and another webcam than runs on my website that needs ports opened.
    Also can i use the LAN ports on the router to connect others PCs?? I thought i read on the thread that the feature is disabled.?
    I'm still within 2 minds whether to reject the new router when DPD want to deliver but 50meg would be nice obviously.

• Advertisement

How hard is it to forward ports on the Techni? I have an ipcam and another webcam than runs on my website that needs ports opened.
    Also can i use the LAN ports on the router to connect others PCs?? I thought i read on the thread that the feature is disabled.?
    I'm still within 2 minds whether to reject the new router when DPD want to deliver but 50meg would be nice obviously.

Ports can be forwarded no problem,

Static ips can not be assigned by the router,if needed you will have to turn DHCP off on your device and assign it an ip from its own network settings,

Yes you can connect other pc's to the lan ports no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

I have 2 Tenvis IP Cams and I'm not able to get DDNS or the port forwarding to work - but that could just be me not really understanding how to do it - on the old router I had them working no problem.

I had the router delivered to work so they never collected the old one; didnt collect my brother's old one either

Early in July there was a posting in the UPC forum on how to configure WEP on the TC7200, not sure they knew too much about it, plus it is not something you would cop onto easily:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85398200

Twiki wrote: »

Would not trust the sales people regarding equipment etc.
    I would say all self installs are getting a TC7200. if you get a tech install, then you might get a 3925.

iba wrote: »
    I have 2 Tenvis IP Cams and I'm not able to get DDNS or the port forwarding to work - but that could just be me not really understanding how to do it - on the old router I had them working no problem.

I had the router delivered to work so they never collected the old one; didnt collect my brother's old one either

Old modems are not taken away by DPD or whoever, but they are still UPC's property, and they can come looking for them.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85333798

Early in July there was a posting in the UPC forum on how to configure WEP on the TC7200, not sure they knew too much about it, plus it is not something you would cop onto easily:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85398200

It does make sense to me though. 802.11n does not officially support WEP on paper. On my router, if I enable N, then the WEP option is greyed out rather than removed altogether.

Then again, if you didn't know that, you'd assume the Technicolor didn't support it at all.

Karsini wrote: »
    It does make sense to me though. 802.11n does not officially support WEP on paper. On my router, if I enable N, then the WEP option is greyed out rather than removed altogether.

Then again, if you didn't know that, you'd assume the Technicolor didn't support it at all.

Its just seems an odd configuration combination.

Way too many horror stories in here and on the UPC board re this modem/router so I have made up my mind to stick with what I have. Hopefully no hassles cancelling when DPD contact me. Will give UPC a call anyway tomorrow to see if the upgrade order is on their system yet as it wasn't as of this morning. Ironic that I have waited so long for this upgrade and now I have to reject it.

Way too many horror stories in here and on the UPC board re this modem/router so I have made up my mind to stick with what I have. Hopefully no hassles cancelling when DPD contact me. Will give UPC a call anyway tomorrow to see if the upgrade order is on their system yet as it wasn't as of this morning. Ironic that I have waited so long for this upgrade and now I have to reject it.

Yeah, I've held off for the same reason. Sticking with what I have for the time being, if I need anything faster I'll see if things change at the time. Otherwise I'll be looking at VDSL I think.

After all that I got an email from upc this afternoon saying 50meg was not available at my address after being told via their Twitter a few days ago it was. I'm happy enough to stay with 30 and my own router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi all

Not sure if the info below has been posted before. If it has when fair enough and if it hasn't then it may be worth trying. This reply came from a UPC technician based in The Netherlands.

Regards

Bridge mode activate Technicolor TC7200

1. Log in to your modem via 192.168.0.1. If you have never done this you need to set the language. In user name and password then enter ' admin ' in.
    2. click on ' system '
    3. click ' Switch Mode '
    4. choose ' Switch Mode ' for ' Bridge Mode ', and then click Save.
    5. now reboot the modem and is then in bridge mode.

Bridge mode deactivate on the Technicolor TC7200

There are 2 ways that bridge mode can be turned off.

1. Log in to the device via 192.168.100.1 and set the ' Switch Mode ' back on ' Router Mode '.

2. press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem at least 10 seconds. Bridge mode will be activated as soon as the modem is rebooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

Thank you. I have been struggling to setup Port Forwarding on this new Technicolor router which I got from UPC. I didn't know that the issue is with the router. Your tips helped me to resolve my Port Forwarding and DDNS issues.

Not sure, and am not in a position to test, but if you want to try

1) disable wan port - don't connect coaxial cable
    2) give 2nd router a static ip address in the same subnet as the primary router but outside its dhcp range - that can be done
    3) disable dhcp on 2nd router - that can be done
    4) enable wireless on 2nd router, change channel, SSID, security etc - that can be done
    5) connect primary router to 2nd router using lan ports only - than can be done

All above can be done, but I'm not sure if the TC7200 configured this way as an access point will play ball with a TC7200 as a primary router.
    But since you have 2, and this setup involves making no changes to your primary router, its something you can do risk free!

Just something on the wireless options, it seems to only let you have the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz mode active.
    Also, your 2nd router should also just act as a switch - that means you should be able to plug in another 3 devices using cable into the 2nd router's lan ports, and they all should work.

If you have the time and some cables then its worth a try!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi all

Not sure if the info below has been posted before. If it has when fair enough and if it hasn't then it may be worth trying. This reply came from a UPC technician based in The Netherlands.

Regards

1. Log in to your modem via 192.168.0.1. If you have never done this you need to set the language. In user name and password then enter ' admin ' in.
    2. click on ' system '
    3. click ' Switch Mode '

1. Log in to the device via 192.168.100.1 and set the ' Switch Mode ' back on ' Router Mode '.

2. press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem at least 10 seconds. Bridge mode will be activated as soon as the modem is rebooted.

That doesn't work here.

konline wrote: »
    Thank you. I have been struggling to setup Port Forwarding on this new Technicolor router which I got from UPC. I didn't know that the issue is with the router. Your tips helped me to resolve my Port Forwarding and DDNS issues.

Konline,

Would be very grateful if you would set out the instructions in very simple terms for port forwarding and DDNS please

Regards

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi all

Regards

2. click on ' system '
    3. click ' Switch Mode '

Sorry cunnijo, your instructions are correct, BUT unfortunately the firmware level on the UPC Ireland modems is different to that on UPC Netherlands modems, and the 'Switch Mode' menu option has been removed/disabled!

konline
    Just wondering how my tips on converting a router to an access point help with your port forwarding and DDNS?

konline
    Just wondering how my tips on converting a router to an access point help with your port forwarding and DDNS?

Was wondering the same thing myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭konline

konline

Hi white_westie, iba and wiz569,
    I will try to explain in plain terms. I have a IPCam at home which used to work with my previous UPC router and DDNS settings. It stopped working when I connected my IPCam with Technicolor router. I have followed the same steps (that I have always followed) to configure Port Forwarding and DDNS settings, but it didn't work. I initially thought that the issue was with my IPCam because I have upgraded the Firmware on it at the same time I replaced my router. OK, long story short this is what I did.

1. I have connected a 2nd wifi router (my old Netgear) to my Technicolor router, using ethernet cable. After this step you will have two routers with wifi.
    2. Firstly, I have set Port Forwarding on my main router - example
    Port Range: 4242-4242
    IP: 192.168.0.10 (Netgear router IP address)
    Destination Port..: 4242-4242
    3. I have configured my IPCam to use the Netgear Router and set a Static IP (say 192.168.1.21)
    4. I have configured Port Forwarding on Netgear router (for IPCam) - example
    Port: 4242, IP: 192.168.1.21, Dest. Port: 4242
    5. I use 'no-ip.org' DDNS service, I have updated my IP address on my no-ip.org account (you get your external IP address on 'whatsmyip.net')
    6. Finally I have configured my IPCam to use wifi on Netgear router and my no-ip.org account.

Everything is working fine now. The trick here is to use 2nd router to resolve all your issues with Technicolor router.

I have tried my best to give all the details, if there is anything I have missed let me know and I will reply later.

Cheers

I will try to explain in plain terms. I have a IPCam at home which used to work with my previous UPC router and DDNS settings. It stopped working when I connected my IPCam with Technicolor router. I have followed the same steps (that I have always followed) to configure Port Forwarding and DDNS settings, but it didn't work. I initially thought that the issue was with my IPCam because I have upgraded the Firmware on it at the same time I replaced my router. OK, long story short this is what I did.

1. I have connected a 2nd wifi router (my old Netgear) to my Technicolor router, using ethernet cable. After this step you will have two routers with wifi.
    3. I have configured my IPCam to use the Netgear Router and set a Static IP (say 192.168.1.21)
    5. I use 'no-ip.org' DDNS service, I have updated my IP address on my no-ip.org account (you get your external IP address on 'whatsmyip.net')
    6. Finally I have configured my IPCam to use wifi on Netgear router and my no-ip.org account.

Everything is working fine now. The trick here is to use 2nd router to resolve all your issues with Technicolor router.

I have tried my best to give all the details, if there is anything I have missed let me know and I will reply later.

Cheers

You might be able to achieve the same thing by putting the 2 routers in a DMZ.

• Advertisement

Cheers

Thanks for your detailed reply but I'm not using a second router.

My IP cams are Tenvis and I have a DDNS with Tenvis.

Advertisement