Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

But port forwarding works on the technicolour, perfectly,
    there is no option for DDNS but then our ips don't change that often so once you have the No-ip update client running as a service on your PC you will be fine, in that scenario you don't need 2 routers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

I find the TC7200 comes in very handy when you want to make toast.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

This modem/router is piece of c.... do not agree for upgrade as there is no way back to your old equipement.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Just spoke with upc today. They will no longer by supplying cisco modems, Technicolors only from now on.

Also it is now company policy that bridge mode will not be allowed from now on.
    Honestly I feel like going back to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Thing is: UPC customer service staff say anything that comes into their heads, in my experience. I get misinformation from them more often than I get correct information.

My guess is that, yes, the Technicolor is now the modem. No doubt they negotiated some deal on them.

But I also imagine that they will succumb to the pressure (and common sense) and eventually enable bridge mode. They did with the Ciscos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Lads, just make sure you express your views on the subject in the 'Talk to UPC' forum, and sign the petition http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056965777

Every little helps.........

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

2Shae wrote: »
    Just spoke with upc today. They will no longer by supplying cisco modems, Technicolors only from now on.

Also it is now company policy that bridge mode will not be allowed from now on.
    Honestly I feel like going back to eircom.

Its seems they are giving existing customers this piece of junk as my parents only signed up as new customers to upc and the technician arrived at the door with the cisco epc3925.

So i think i will be taking the cisco and giving them the technicolor. :-D

Business customers still get the Cisco modem. the normal home user plebs are not allowed it! Just double checked with level 2 business support.

Ive opened a complaint ticket with them so lets see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

if your a long time UPC customer (like me) you can call their " customer loyalty department " & explain to them what your gripe is (want a Cisco 3925) or your looking at going back to eircom (as I did) & much to my surprise my wish was granted with other goodies thrown in.

I also explained to them how much I spend with them a year so it's the least they can do to keep a loyal customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 J0nney

I got a tc7200 on a upgrade last month. I complained about being unable to define static IPs. They agreed to replace it with a Cisco but warned that the signal range was poor compared to the tc7200, so I stayed with the tc7200.

• Advertisement

J0nney wrote: »
    I got a tc7200 on a upgrade last month. I complained about being unable to define static IPs. They agreed to replace it with a Cisco but warned that the signal range was poor compared to the tc7200, so I stayed with the tc7200.

If the signal range on the cisco is poor compared to the TC7200 then you must need to sit beside it to get signal,my wireless devices struggle getting a stable signal at 20ft using the TC7200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

This glorified toaster is the biggest heap of ****e.

UPC should cop on and just facilitate bridging.

Anyone got a number for the customer loyalty department?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ckeogh

The usb port is actually for sharing, DNLA setup afaik.

I cant understand why UPC disable this in Ireland. It doesn't make a bit of sense in customer satisfaction. Especially for such a handy function.

Personally id make great use of this as have an extensive library on a windows hard drive & got a mac, so now my library is sitting on a hard drive thats read only & i cant format as i have nowhere to transfer it for the min :( If UPC had this enabled I would have the option on the router to plug in & share across my home network. Simple.

More info on it - Page 61:
    http://www.upc.ro/pdf/Technicolor_tc7200_user_manual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Hi, this may have been answered before, but is it not possible to just buy a Cisco router and replace the Technicolor with it, probably not??
    I'm having the same problem with WIFI signal, can only get a decent signal in one room. Has anyone used the signal boosters, thinking of buying one. Thanks.

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Hi, this may have been answered before, but is it not possible to just buy a Cisco router and replace the Technicolor with it, probably not??
    I'm having the same problem with WIFI signal, can only get a decent signal in one room. Has anyone used the signal boosters, thinking of buying one. Thanks.

If its only wireless that crap for you, then you can buy a 2nd router with whatever standard you need (G/N etc), configure it as an access point and connect it directly to your main router (can switch off wireless on main router as well).

If its only wireless that crap for you, then you can buy a 2nd router with whatever standard you need (G/N etc), configure it as an access point and connect it directly to your main router (can switch off wireless on main router as well).

I didn't think this could be done on this type of router, what is 'switch mode' that people are saying you cannot do on this router. I have my old router which was fine. Do I connect this with an ethernet cable? Thanks.

I didn't think this could be done on this type of router, what is 'switch mode' that people are saying you cannot do on this router. I have my old router which was fine. Do I connect this with an ethernet cable? Thanks.

I assume switch mode is what we call bridge mode, which is where the router functions are switched off and all traffic is passed through (including presenting your public ip address) to a lan port.
    The TC7200 does not currently support this.

However you can connect a 2nd router that is configured as an Wireless Access Point to the TC72000 and use it. Your TC7200 is still acting as a modem/router, running the lan functions including dhcp, but has wireless switched off. Your new access point will be handling all wireless access and passing it onto the TC7200.

There are a number of threads detailing this type of setup, BUT, they require you to buy a 2nd router which some people do not want to do.
    Rightly so, they believe that the UPC supplied device should do what it's supposed to, but unfortunately it does not for a number.
    Main thing is thay you should contact UPC and complain about your problem. They normally connect to your modem remotely and might make some configuration changes to the wireless setup or suggest some changes to your wireless devices.
    If you are still not satisfied then you have to decide what you want to do next - leave or look for a workaround:cool:

Thanks for this White, sorry I meant 'bridge mode'. I'll try the second router, luckily my last provider did not look for my old router back, which had a fine WIFI signal.
    I did contact UPC and they said everything was fine with the router. They said they only guaranteed UP TO 50MB speeds, with no lower limit. And this was with a wired connection, they do not guarantee any speed with wireless. So in theory you could have a speed of 1MB and they are not at fault.
    I had a 10MB DSL connection with my last provider and I was getting much higher WIFI speeds than with the 50MB UPC. Yet i'm sure this is all down to the router. Why they would invest so much in fibre, etc. and then give out crap routers is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

When you say you have a 2nd Router is it purely a router or is it a Modem Router? I ask because you mention your were on a DSL connection.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

When you say you have a 2nd Router is it purely a router or is it a Modem Router? I ask because you mention your were on a DSL connection.

Sorry guys I'm not that up to speed with this stuff. I think its a modem router, I plug the phone line into it. Does that mean it is not suitable fas an access point. I don't mind buying a second router, as long as I get a decent signal so that I can use my laptop in other room I will be happy.

Sorry guys I'm not that up to speed with this stuff. I think its a modem router, I plug the phone line into it. Does that mean it is not suitable fas an access point. I don't mind buying a second router, as long as I get a decent signal so that I can use my laptop in other room I will be happy.

Generally you can run most modem/routers as an access point, as long as you can login to it and change some configuration settings.

Steps are:

- assign a static ip address to your 2nd router that's on the same subnet as the 1st router, but outside its dhcp range
    eg: say you 1st router has an address of 192.168.0.1 and it's dhcp gives out addresses in the range 192.168.0.10 to 200, then you need to login to the 2nd router and give it an address of say 192.168.0.5
    - switch off the dhcp server on the 2nd router
    - connect the 1st and 2nd router using a cable but only use a LAN port on each

If everything is working, then you can connect your pc to the 2nd router using a cable and you should be assigned an address in the 192.168.0.10 to 200 range. If your 1st router is connected to the broadband source, then you should be able to get access to the internet on your pc.

If all is working, then you need to configure the wireless on your 2nd router - setup SSID and choose whatever security method you want to use.

For initial testing, don't setup any wireless security, and ensure your pc can connect via wireless and get internet access.

At this point you have wireless connectivity, so you can wander round and see are you getting the range you need.

Once you are happy with that, then you can go back and setup whatever wireless security you want.

You have changed nothing on your 1st/main router, so if it does not work out all you do is disconnect the 2nd router and you are back to where you started from.

If on the other hand you are happy with your wireless point, then you go back to the 1st router and disable wireless on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Strangely, I have a TL-WDR3600 router and I just plugged it into the Technicolor TC7200 and it is spitting out dulaband perfectly (much better speeds), I never setup static ip's etc..

Ronan wrote: »
    Strangely, I have a TL-WDR3600 router and I just plugged it into the Technicolor TC7200 and it is spitting out dulaband perfectly (much better speeds), I never setup static ip's etc..

It still works but if you plug the Technicolor into the WAN port on the TP-LINK, you introduce a double NAT scenario which can cause problems with port forwarding and adds an extra hop to your internet connection. It makes configuration more difficult, but not impossible. If it works fine for you then leave it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Thanks Karsini, shows how little I know! :) I my downloading from a machine directly wired to the modem, so never noticed any issues. I might remain happy in my ignorance for now, but good to know for any future issues I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

I need to port forward number 82 but I dont know what to type into the fields. Can anyone help please:

11vn0hw.png[/IMG]

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to port forward number 82 but I dont know what to type into the fields. Can anyone help please:

11vn0hw.png

82-82 192.168.0.x 82-82 you can leave protcol at Both if not sure which one you need :)

Obviously replace the ip address with the one you are using

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Just move in to new apartment and got myself 50mb broadband package with UPC.
    After 3 days of usage call I them up and told them that i am having wifi problems(little or no signal in bedroom)

Technician came in he looked at that technicolor garbage, left apartment and back 2 Min later with cisco

No question asked.no wonder, he knew, when he saw technicolor he knew.

transik wrote: »
    Just move in to new apartment and got myself 50mb broadband package with UPC.
    After 3 days of usage call I them up and told them that i am having wifi problems(little or no signal in bedroom)

Technician came in he looked at that technicolor garbage, left apartment and back 2 Min later with cisco

No question asked.no wonder, he knew, when he saw technicolor he knew.

Lucky you - not everyone is getting this option.
    Did your wifi problems improve after the replacement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Lightmaster

I think I'm a rare case. I had the EPC3925 and had HORRIBLE wireless coverage in my house. We have 5 people in the house, each with a smarthphone and all of us have laptops, so the wireless aspect was crucial. I had to get in contact with customer care and a technician came and replaced the Cisco with a Technicolor and after that, the coverage was great, no issues whatsoever. Maybe we have a different batch over here in Romania?

Advertisement