Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC modem/router Technicolor TC7200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

I think I'm a rare case. I had the EPC3925 and had HORRIBLE wireless coverage in my house. We have 5 people in the house, each with a smarthphone and all of us have laptops, so the wireless aspect was crucial. I had to get in contact with customer care and a technician came and replaced the Cisco with a Technicolor and after that, the coverage was great, no issues whatsoever. Maybe we have a different batch over here in Romania?

Just out of interest, what's the firmware version on your TC7200, and does it have a Bridge Mode option?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭genek

Today I was on the phone to UPC. I'd like to order their TV, Internet, Phone bundle but I'm concerned that the Technicolor modem doesn't allow bridge mode.

The sales guy hadn't a clue what I was talking about and passed me to the technical team. They gave me a "premium" phone number (1550924124) for their "advanced PC team" (or something). The guy said that the guys at that number can enable bridge mode on the router. I told him I wasn't going to pay €1.50/minute to find out that he doesn't know what he's talking about and that, if bridge mode can be enabled, somebody should ring me to tell me about it.

Anyone ever call that number and/or get results?

I have battled with UPC however I lost.
    I am really pissed off as I could not return to my previous service with the same price.

I spoke with my friend who luckily got Cisco and she agreed to exchange the one with me hence I reached out to UPC in order to get this done.
    Of course they told me that they cannot do it, however I can call "premium" number and they will be able to enable bridge mode for me.
    Did anybody called maybe and what was the outcome?
    Don't want to call them and find out this is waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lightmaster

Software Version STD6.01.12. There is no bride mode option per say on the actual device itself. But, all you have to do here, is to phone UPC and they will activate it for you.

Software Version STD6.01.12. There is no bride mode option per say on the actual device itself. But, all you have to do here, is to phone UPC and they will activate it for you.

We are only on STD6.01.08, which we believe does not support Bridge Mode.
    In The Netherlands they are on 6.01.12(up from .10) and both seem to have a Bridge Mode option.
    In your case, I think the firmware supports Bridge Mode but its hidden from consumers, so that could explain when they can switch it on for when you ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ashegarty

Hi all, can someone please help me? I can't connect my upc to my wii. Iv tried all the standard set up etc, followed the instructions perfectly. It's picking up my ssid no prob but even after I manually type in IP address etc and change the security access it still wont connect to my wireless. Ahhhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Two things:

Nearly every night at around 10.30pm I receive a very weak signal from my router - web pages take an age to open. The signal strength bar down by the clock does not have the last bar filled in - does anyone else have this issue?

And does anyone know i these routers can use smartdns please?

Thanks

iba wrote: »
    Hi,
    And does anyone know i these routers can use smartdns please?
    Thanks

SmartDNS as in from Overplay?
    Does that just not involve setting specific dns server addresses in whatever device you want including, your router to use the service?
    If you login to the TC7200u and goto the Basic -> Local Area Network Settings page, you can enter specific dns server addresses at the bottom.
    Not sure they will work for SmartDNS but worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

SmartDNS as in from Overplay?
    Does that just not involve setting specific dns server addresses in whatever device you want including, your router to use the service?
    If you login to the TC7200u and goto the Basic -> Local Area Network Settings page, you can enter specific dns server addresses at the bottom.
    Not sure they will work for SmartDNS but worth a shot!
    It *should* work with any open DNS server, smart or otherwise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ceka

wiz569 wrote: »
    Guys am I completely stupid or is there no static ip options on the new technicolor TC7200 router???

Just found the solution.

If you change on
    Basic/Local Area Network/Lease Time to: -for example-314496000 seconds (10 years)
    on the
    Basic/DHCP Client Devices/DHCP Clients expires On will be change to:
    *** STATIC IP ADDRESS ** :)

(If you need a specific address, first configure/reserve it on your laptop/PC, then if it assigned by the router you can set is back to Automatic IP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Ceka wrote: »
    Just found the solution.

If you change on
    Basic/Local Area Network/Lease Time to: -for example-314496000 seconds (10 years)
    on the
    Basic/DHCP Client Devices/DHCP Clients expires On will be change to:
    *** STATIC IP ADDRESS ** :)

(If you need a specific address, first configure/reserve it on your laptop/PC, then if it assigned by the router you can set is back to Automatic IP)

Very good :)

Slightly long way of having to do it but at least it works :)

So any ideas on bridge mode now you figured out the static ip problem lol

• Advertisement

So any ideas on bridge mode now you figured out the static ip problem lol

We are on firmware version STD6.01.08, which we believe does not support Bridge Mode. In The Netherlands they are on 6.01.12(up from .10 in recent months) and both seem to support a Bridge Mode option!

I've been told to contact premium support to get the bridge mode enabled, 2 days trying to call no luck...
    Nobody pick the blo.. phone.

We are on firmware version STD6.01.08, which we believe does not support Bridge Mode. In The Netherlands they are on 6.01.12(up from .10 in recent months) and both seem to support a Bridge Mode option!

I understand that m8, I was trying to be sarcastic at upc's expense lol

As an aside if you stick your own router in the technicolour dmz, would that work or would you need to do anything else, apart from turn off dhcp, wireless and firewall on the technicolour?

As an aside if you stick your own router in the technicolour dmz, would that work or would you need to do anything else, apart from turn off dhcp, wireless and firewall on the technicolour?

Have been running my own Asus router in 7200 dmz for last number of weeks with no problems reported. wifi and firewall off, dhcp still on.

Have been running my own Asus router in 7200 dmz for last number of weeks with no problems reported. wifi and firewall off, dhcp still on.

Should your Asus not be using dhcp only? Would there not be a conflict with both routers using it?

Also what subnet are you using on your Asus i.e. on my old netgear it was 192.168.1.x but obviously on the technicolour its 192.168.0.x

Should your Asus not be using dhcp only? Would there not be a conflict with both routers using it?

Also what subnet are you using on your Asus i.e. on my old netgear it was 192.168.1.x but obviously on the technicolour its 192.168.0.x

It shouldn't make a difference because as far as the Asus is concerned, the Technicolor is on the WAN side, so DHCP requests don't get passed through the Asus.

Karsini wrote: »
    It shouldn't make a difference because as far as the Asus is concerned, the Technicolor is on the WAN side, so DHCP requests don't get passed through the Asus.

Yeah i kind of thought of that after i posted tbh,

so just to get this straight in my head, any incoming internet activity will be routed straight to the dmz, which is now my own router, and my own router will then direct the traffic to any specified ports as required?

And if the above is true then why the need for bridge mode, apart from it being the correct way to achieve the above?

Cheers for the insight guys :)

so just to get this straight in my head, any incoming internet activity will be routed straight to the dmz, which is now my own router, and my own router will then direct the traffic to any specified ports as required?

And if the above is true then why the need for bridge mode, apart from it being the correct way to achieve the above?

Some functions on my router require it to receive a public WAN IP, such as 6to4 (which tunnels IPv6 packets over an IPv4 network) and dynamic DNS updates. So it doesn't work fully with the DMZ method. I'm still on the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 modem so I'm stuck with 30 meg unless I get it replaced.

Exactly as Karsini says - some services on Asus are looking for the real wan address, hence the need for Bridge Mode.

As regards leaving dhcp running on the TC7200, it does not matter as the Asus and TC7200 are on different subnets and all my lan devices are connected to the ASus. I just left it on for testing so that if I connected to the TC7200 I would get a dhcp address.

Ah ok so a dynamic dns update client running on my pc will not work properly then?

Well thats a deal breaker so :(

Thanks for all the info guys,much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Ah ok so a dynamic dns update client running on my pc will not work properly then?

Well thats a deal breaker so :(

Thanks for all the info guys,much appreciated :)

Yes it should work on your PC - your PC is generally never given a public ip address, always a local ip address.
    Generally (as in my Asus) if the router has this functionality built in, it looks for a public wan address to work.

Yes it should work on your PC - your PC is generally never given a public ip address, always a local ip address.
    Generally (as in my Asus) if the router has this functionality built in, it looks for a public wan address to work.

Ok so I must get round to actually trying it,but making the rest of the household do without the internet while I mess around is not easy lol

Plus if they could just supply a box that does all of these things or even a docsis 3 modem it would save a lot of hassle,

Thanks again

premium support suppose to magically turn on the techniclolor the bridge mode, however nobody answers the phone...

genek wrote: »
    premium support suppose to magically turn on the techniclolor the bridge mode, however nobody answers the phone...

UPC Premium Support - Is that the 3rd party support that UPC pawns you off to, BUT costs you real money to ring?

If you have been told to ring them, why not ask UPC in their Talk To forum to see can they do it for you!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

genek wrote: »

Under no circumstances ring that number - it is simply throwing money away.

There has already been a thread on the UPC forum about this and it is an absolute disgrace if UPC staff are still steering people to this rip off no when UPC reps have stated that it is UPC policy not to allow bridging.

Originally posted by UPC: Brian
    Regarding bridging mode not being available on the TC7200 modem, this functionality is not supported by UPC Ireland (we can't comment regarding other UPC affiliates).

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056995703

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hi,

I have this technicolor piece of kit and as already mentioned the signal is very weak. I have a spare Netgear wireless router(WGR 614v9), and have configured the wireless repeater option on it.

The problem I'm having is the configuration at the technicolor tc7200 end, I'm not sure what I'm at to be honest, if anyone can point me in the rite direction. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Hey guys,

Just got one of these today - brand new connection job.

Worked grand but came home from town and popped in the new phone and blamo...no wifi...now i cant confirm that the wifi was working immediately before the phone being plugged in...

currently running on cisco epc3925 that i had lying around, but that seems to be maxing out at 30mb not 50...

1) is there a real difference between the routers?
    2) any idea why me wifi is banjaxed

El Inho wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just got one of these today - brand new connection job.

Worked grand but came home from town and popped in the new phone and blamo...no wifi...now i cant confirm that the wifi was working immediately before the phone being plugged in...

currently running on cisco epc3925 that i had lying around, but that seems to be maxing out at 30mb not 50...

1) is there a real difference between the routers?
    2) any idea why me wifi is banjaxed
    How are you able to use the 3925 instead? Normally UPC have to provision it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chadley78

I just got this router as part of the free upgrade to 50mb broadband with UPC. Since I started using it, Plex, which uses uPnP to stream media from my home server to any pc or phone i want, has stopped working.

Without getting into port forwarding and static ip addresses, does anyone know why this crap modem is causing issues. Can I enable uPnP easily?

• Advertisement

chadley78 wrote: »
    I just got this router as part of the free upgrade to 50mb broadband with UPC. Since I started using it, Plex, which uses uPnP to stream media from my home server to any pc or phone i want, has stopped working.

Without getting into port forwarding and static ip addresses, does anyone know why this crap modem is causing issues. Can I enable uPnP easily?

You can switch uPnP on easily enough - don't know if it will fix your problem, but worth a try.

Login to router, login is admin/admin, you can use public address at 192.168.100.1. Go to Advanced Page - uPnP can be enabled (think disabled is the default). Don't forget to Save and logoff.

Advertisement