Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Civic Pride in Working Class Dublin

Options
  • 17-05-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭

(GENERAL RANT AHOY!)

I live in what might be described by some as a working class area in Dublin.....

I'm getting more and more frustrated by the lack of civic pride I see in the people around me. There is a high proportion of people who just dont care about the community they live in.

What I'm talking about....

Litter
    Dog Crap
    Public Drinking
    Uncared for houses
    Cars speeding through housing estates
    Benign attitude to black economy
    The general sense of entitlement....

To give an example on the latter point: there were some teenagers drinking in our area one evening last year, they were actually drinking some energy drinks as opposed to beer...they left the bottles on the road and they got all smashed up by cars so there was broken glass everywhere. I'm not giving out about the teenagers per se.....they are teenagers after all.

But the following morning, a Saturday morning, I went out and started cleaning up all the broken glass. This wasnt even on the road I live in, but the one around the corner. And the response I got from the neighbours was almost one of hostility - and several of them came out and watched me doing it - ......"you shouldnt be doing that.....thats the councils job.....what are you doing that for"....

Another thing that gets me......all the people around who me who I know dont pay taxes. People who are in trades......I can see how much work they do.....its pretty easy to figure how much money they make......and the same people have a lifestyle that just doesnt correspond to what they are earning - if they were paying even part of the income tax they are supposed to. Never mind the people who work and are also on a array of social welfare benefits.

There is a view out there that working class Dubs are salt of the earth and all that.

I can see if i go somewhere like Dun Laoghaire.....that the people there care about the community they are in.....I wish there was more of it where I live.....it should be a better place than it is.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Err...........what now, have you actually ever been to Dun Laoghaire:confused:

Parts of Dun Laogahire are a horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"you shouldnt be doing that.....thats the councils job.....what are you doing that for"....
    This is the attitude of an institutionalised individual.
    Fair play OP for showing them that someone cares enough to go out and do something about the rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Op. That attitude is found all over the country, unfortunatly. All you can do is continue to do what you do. It only takes a small number of people to make a massive difference. You just have to do what you believe is right. It might influence someone else to help or to do the same.

Advertisement