Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeper wall foundation/construction

• 17-05-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi folks, have been wondering how to start off a small free-standing rail sleeper wall approx 650mm/700mm high to enclose a patio area, off of which I may hang brackets for a low shelf/seat at 450mm.
    It's just the initial fixing of the first layer of sleepers to a foundation that is getting me, and so far I think I'll go with treaded rods embedded into a foundation onto which the first layer of sleepers will be bolted, then take it higher with 6" or 8" timber fixing screws.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience in this area that any would be willing to offer or share?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1100010110 wrote: »
    Hi folks, have been wondering how to start off a small free-standing rail sleeper wall approx 650mm/700mm high to enclose a patio area, off of which I may hang brackets for a low shelf/seat at 450mm.
    It's just the initial fixing of the first layer of sleepers to a foundation that is getting me, and so far I think I'll go with treaded rods embedded into a foundation onto which the first layer of sleepers will be bolted, then take it higher with 6" or 8" timber fixing screws.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience in this area that any would be willing to offer or share?

You can lay your base sleeper/sleepers on a smooth/level layer of sharp sand.When you install it,gently tamp it down and recheck levels on all sides with a spirit level/straight edge,to make sure its level.

Then a few lengths of Presure Treated 3 x 2 stakes driven into the ground,behind the sleepers.

Then some 100mm deck screws screwed through the back of the stakes into the back of the sleepers and each layer of sleepers as you buld them up..

Overlap the sleeper ends so that they hold their own weight aswell.....(like a blocklayer builds a wall).

Simples.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Thanks Paddy147, what I have in mind though won't be a retaining wall so will be visible on both sides, hence why I was going to make the initial fixing vertically into a foundation, although if I go the route you suggest, and start laying the sleepers deeper than I was going to, the fixing stakes could be disguised with gravel/stones, as you said, simples.
    Now my only problem is hoping that there is enough soil available to anchor the posts, I should have mentioned that there is only a depth of 600mm soil maximum, exploration is in order.

Thanks Paddy147, what I have in mind though won't be a retaining wall so will be visible on both sides, hence why I was going to make the initial fixing vertically into a foundation, although if I go the route you suggest, and start laying the sleepers deeper than I was going to, the fixing stakes could be disguised with gravel/stones, as you said, simples.
    Now my only problem is hoping that there is enough soil available to anchor the posts, I should have mentioned that there is only a depth of 600mm soil maximum, exploration is in order.

Some 3 x 2 stakes in each corner and secure both ends of the sleepers where they meet to the stakes.

Or go into a builders providers and buy a few 90 degree galvanized brackets and screw them into the corners.

Basicly you will be creating a large free standing crate,but its made from railway sleepers.

Again build it by overlapping the sleepers on top of each other (brick wall style).This will make it even stronger and sturdier.

And it aint going to budge either,as it will be so sturdy and the weight of it will keep it in place.:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

The 3x2 will hold the wall, but I would not bank on them holding the seat too, law of the lever comes in mind, get a local steel works to make an L bracket, put in a concrete fountain, bolt the bottom of the L down, place the sleepers in over the bolts, screw the sleeper to the vertical parts of the L, its a safe way, not expensive, more compact, a will do the job right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Build on sand, and build to fail any blocklayer would laugh at the idea.

You will need to ensure that the sleeper wall is not only level but vertical too. Critically important that it would be capable of supporting a ledge or seat (500mm of screw is grossly inadequate).

To secure sleepers on edge, discreet anchoring will be required. Core through vertically and secure the sleepers with rebar which has been fixed in a setting concrete base. Plug core with a sand cement mix for a neat finish, but this is probably an oxymoron given how ugly railway sleepers often are.

The rebar will prevent wall flexing especially if a seat is fixed on side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Thanks for the advice folks, the hanging of the seat and the resultant leverage on it was another reason for the first fixing into concrete of the initial layer of sleepers with bedded treaded rods, will look up local engineering works in the morning and work up plans to get prices.

Thanks for the advice folks, the hanging of the seat and the resultant leverage on it was another reason for the first fixing into concrete of the initial layer of sleepers with bedded treaded rods, will look up local engineering works in the morning and work up plans to get prices.

You could allways take 1 x 2400mm sleeper,cut 3 x 350mm lengths off it.

Use these 2 pieces as legs and then lay the rest of the sleeper (1350mm long and 100mm thickness) ontop of the legs.

Screw it together and then screw it onto the side of the raised sleeper bed.

Simple quick and easy solution for a 1350mm long and 450mm high bench/seat/shelf.

Advertisement