Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Gara poised to join Sexton at Racing Metro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »
    Rte confirmed. The ****

Incredible stuff - you couldn't make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Still a better love story than twilight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Grimebox wrote: »
    Can everyone read this again before we all start shouting at each other

It has been confirmed that Ronan O’Gara will join Racing Metro as a kicking and youth-team coach next season.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/european/2013/0517/450967-ogara/

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

ROG to Johnny: "I wish I knew how to quit you."

Brokeback Métro. A love story for the ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If Racing Metro's no.10s all get injured during next season, can they register ROG as a player too? Who knows what will happen with the Odd Couple next season!

Fair play to him for getting the gig. Having more Irishmen coaching at a top level abroad can only benefit Irish Rugby in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Catmologen wrote: »
    It has been confirmed that Ronan O’Gara will join Racing Metro as a kicking and youth-team coach next season.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/european/2013/0517/450967-ogara/

Well then, gloves off

ROG to teach Sexton how to play above international standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Sadly this means we've seen the last of Ronan O'Gara on a rugby field. End of an era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭ironingbored

trouttrout wrote: »
    There's surely a sitcom to be made based around ROG and Sexton sharing a flat in Paris

D'Incroyables?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Wow you guys are right, this is a gem of a sitcom opportunity.

Good luck to both ROG and Johnny, will definitely be watching Racing's matches next season. It's sad to see ROG quit his playing career though, even as a Leinster fan..but it's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Beckham will be pissed if ROG steals his limelight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Can't believe the fools who have fallen for the ROG has retired ploy. Total trojan horse pincer move by the Ronster, taking the fight to the man. Before Johnny knows it he'll be watching the ROG and BOD show in next seasons six nations.

Mange tout Rogney, mange tout.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Skid X wrote: »
    If Racing Metro's no.10s all get injured during next season, can they register ROG as a player too? Who knows what will happen with the Odd Couple next season!

A throw away a million quid of a tax refund?

"Ah no, I'm grand here just watching. Cheers lads."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Skid X wrote: »

Still has something to offer as seen in the Heineken semi. Don't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Benny Cake wrote: »
    I'd say its highly unlikely O'Gara would have been hired without Johnny Sexton being consulted.

Could work out very well for both O'Gara & Sexton......

??

Really? A player who hasn't even worn their jersey yet would be allowed have a say on who coaches him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

This is a quite frankly mental move. The last person Sexton will want to see peering at him from the stands over every kick is O'Gara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some are saying that Sexton recommended ROG as a coach.

The whole rivalry thing is overplayed and makes a good story. The truth, these days at least, is somewhat different.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quint2010 wrote: »
    This is a quite frankly mental move. The last person Sexton will want to see peering at him from the stands over every kick is O'Gara.

Really??

Who better to turn to for help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

leakyboots wrote: »
    ??

Really? A player who hasn't even worn their jersey yet would be allowed have a say on who coaches him?

Definitely. Sexton is the highest paid player in the clubs history. You don't hire a new coach with whom he has had a personal relationship, without consulting him....

Racing wouldn't risk unsettling Sexton unnecessarily, I'd be shocked if he wasn't asked for his opinion.

• Advertisement

Remember reading a interview with ROG where he said Sexton and himself struggled with their relationship at the start but they get along now.. no doubt that Sexton benefited from playing with ROG.. Racing are gonna be gooooood next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

In other ROG related news he's now writing a column for the Irish Examiner and will start it tomorrow. Jesus I can't wait for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Quint2010 wrote: »

Dunno about that, at least he knows him, they've worked together before...I think ROG could be a very good kicking coach,.

Some are saying that Sexton recommended ROG as a coach.

Who are "some " ?

Who are "some " ?

People on the internets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

People on the internets

Then "some" should probably not be quoted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Whatever about their past, they quite obviously get on very well now and that was evidenced at the RWC where you could see that they were very pally. It's a lonely job at ten and the only guy who's going to understand the pressures is another ten, so it's not at all unlikely that either Jonny was consulted or that he recommended ROG for the job.

I'm also delighted that ROG has done what I think every aspirant Irish coach should do (hats off to Jackman in this regard) and go abroad for a greater depth of experience.

Well done ROG, I'm delighted he's staying in the game and adding to the legend. Hopefully it will be a positive step with a positive result.

I think his experience will be a big benefit to the players, and sexton still hasnt reached his potential. So assuming theres no bad blood, which I doubt there is, it'll be great for sexton having a fellow irishman to step up his game. We laugh now, but a year down the line when Johnny is the face of Northern Hemisphere rugby, it will be partly down to O'Gara's coaching. Regardless on how people feel about him, he was good at kicking, damn good. And if Sexton gets his sniper rifle of a boot on him, with Sextons other attributes, its all good, just a shame its not in a Leinster jersey... sure he might even say Sexton to come back to Munster :eek:

Sexton is already one of the faces of Northern Hemisphere Rugby and has nothing to do with O'Gara. How many people are currently claiming his prior kicking coaches as being the reason that he's as good as he is but you think a year down the line ROG will deserve some plaudits??

I can imagine it now in his autobiography "I owe it all to ROG"...

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I can imagine it now in his autobiography "I owe it all to ROG"...

No need for the hyperbole. Are you saying he is above learning from Ireland's greatest ever fly half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Aidric wrote: »
    No need for the hyperbole. Are you saying he is above learning from Ireland's greatest ever fly half?

Whoa there.

Ireland's greatest ever what now?

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »

For the last few seasons his kicking coach has been Richie Murhpy and I think with Tainton with Ireland. How much praise do they get to the position he's in now?

My response was to a poster who already tried to attach Sexton being a face of northern hemispehere rugby to ROG. If ROG takes the job he will deserve a portion of the credit for any percentage above 85.42% Sexton kicks next year and a portion of the blame if he kicks below that level, no more no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

All a bit surreal, I have to say. Darth Vader teaching Luke to use a lightsabre springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He [Dave Alred] is unsure whether or not his work with Sexton will continue beyond this summer, with the Leinster man likely to be the Lions' Test out-half in Australia before beginning a new career with Racing Metro in Paris.

"I suspect Jonny would like us to continue," he says. "Unlike a golfer, though, who has absolute control as the employer, there's a third party who must make that decision. But we'll see."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/brutal-practice-session-at-harringtons-home-really-helped-sexton-29271147.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Swiwi wrote: »
    All a bit surreal, I have to say. Darth Vader teaching Luke to use a lightsabre springs to mind...

If you mean at the end of 'Jedi' when Luke has surpassed Vader, then yes, it's like that.

Lads, ROG is not going to be coaching Sexton next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Will we ever get past the mentality of "My dad would beat up your dad"? Does one of these men have to fight to death to stop the nonsense comparisons and arguments?. It really is stupid and shows us up.

On a brighter note, it really is a good reflection on Irish rugby that our current and past starting 10 have leaded jobs at a European powerhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Sexton wouldn't be anywhere near the player he is today without ROG setting the bar so high. Hardly surprising to see Sexton look for ROG to help him in Metro.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Sexton wouldn't be anywhere near the player he is today without ROG setting the bar so high. Hardly surprising to see Sexton look for ROG to help him in Metro.

As BOD wouldn't be anywhere near the player he is today without Kevin Maggs or ROG - Humphries... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Will we ever get past the mentality of "My dad would beat up your dad"? Does one of these men have to fight to death to stop the nonsense comparisons and arguments?. It really is stupid and shows us up.

On a brighter note, it really is a good reflection on Irish rugby that our current and past starting 10 have leaded jobs at a European powerhouse.

Except Racing aren't a powerhouse, they're in a similar situation to Toulon a few years back and have gotten a serious investment in players and coaches to give them every chance. This season they've been a fairly dull, middling side in the Top 14 lacking in quality in a couple of key positions and a bit of dead weight in the squad. I think they'll need a year or two to gel as a team before they're up there with the likes of Clermont, Toulon and Toulouse challenging for silverware.

It is very exciting though to see how all the talent they've bought in will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

yimrsg wrote: »
    Except Racing aren't a powerhouse, they're in a similar situation to Toulon a few years back and have gotten a serious investment in players and coaches to give them every chance. This season they've been a fairly dull, middling side in the Top 14 lacking in quality in a couple of key positions and a bit of dead weight in the squad. I think they'll need a year or two to gel as a team before they're up there with the likes of Clermont, Toulon and Toulouse challenging for silverware.

It is very exciting though to see how all the talent they've bought in will do.

I meant a potential one. They have the money to bring in anyone they want. They wanted our lads.

• Advertisement

If you mean at the end of 'Jedi' when Luke has surpassed Vader, then yes, it's like that.

A new Beginning
    Exclusive: O'Gara inks new deals to coach Sexton at Racing Metro and write for the Irish Examiner
    p 2,3,4.

https://twitter.com/tonyleen/status/335515084677844993/photo/1

They're currently nothing more than a team with an aristocratic and flamboyant history who've a **** load of money to spend. Far from what I'd call a European powerhouse (especially given this years at times pathetic performances). I expect a big improvement next year given the players they're bringing in.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They're currently nothing more than a team with an aristocratic and flamboyant history who've a **** load of money to spend. Far from what I'd call a European powerhouse (especially given this years at times pathetic performances). I expect a big improvement next year given the players they're bringing in.

... and the coaching staff ;)

(Labit & Travers are highly rated)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A kicking coach is still a coach... it's someone who works with you to help you improve in any way you possibly can. I'd imagine a lot of great kickers are/were better than the people coaching them, but that doesn't mean they didn't have coaches.

Everyone goes through blips after all... both Sexton and ROG have had shaky times with the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is nothing O'Gara could teach Sexton about kicking that Sexton couldn't just write down on flashcards to remind himself of when needed.

No doubt Ronan will be informative to the youth teams but Sexton is already a stronger all round player and string puller than Ronan ever was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Regardless of our opinions on ROG, if he goes over there and makes something of himself as a coach it can only be beneficial for Irish rugby in the long term.

It is kinda hilarious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There is nothing O'Gara could teach Sexton about kicking that Sexton couldn't just write down on flashcards to remind himself of when needed.

No doubt Ronan will be informative to the youth teams but Sexton is already a stronger all round player and string puller than Ronan ever was

Then kicking coaches the world over should be retired tomorrow by that logic..

What your saying there at the bottom could lead to WW3 on this forum and ROG's playing ability has nothing to do with O'Garas possible coaching ability .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's a pity this turned into a bit of a Sexton V ROG debate. Both players have a mutual respect for each other.

ROG will always have something to teach any kicker not only different styles but the far more important mental edge that every great kicked needs. Whoever he ends up coaching next year, whether it is the the kids or the senior team has themselves a great coach tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think it's a great reflection on both players that this sort of arrangement can even be contemplated. It's unlikely ROG will have much if any input into Sexton's routine, but the fact both are at the same club working together at least in some fashion reflects well on both of them.

Best of luck to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement