Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

District court question

• 17-05-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

A friend of a frenemy bought a car from me in January 2013 for a promised EUR 600 in several installments in the upcoming months. I reminded him about the payments in February (via email), April (via phone) and, lastly, just a week ago via both phone and email. He claims that he has made the transfer, but doesn't tell me when nor gave me any details.

I've transferred the car ownership to him so I have his address along with the signature and details of the car.

I've called Small Claims Court this morning and I've been told that they are not responsible for such cases and that District Court handles such cases.

What would be the next steps I should take in this case? How costly would this be? Do I need solicitors to represent me or I can represent myself? I'm currently travelling through the Balkan region so it would be quite expensive to fly into Dublin and arrange accommodation, etc.

Should there be this much effort for 600 EUR? Any perspective or advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

A plaintiff would need to take such a case through the District (Civil) Court.

A plaintiff doesn't need to hire a solicitor, but will need to issue a civil summons for appearance before the district court, for which purposes I'd suggest any plaintiff hire a solicitor.

Whether it's worth pursuing this is a personal question for a plaintiff. It seems unlikely that there would be any financial benefit of him or her returning home specifically to do so. Of course, once home, and with the repayments still in arrears, they may feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 b056

Thanks for the answer! But... should the case be successful wouldn't the defendant have to pay all the expenses (including travels, the solicitors, etc)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

b056 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer! But... should the case be successful wouldn't the defendant have to pay all the expenses (including travels, the solicitors, etc)?

No. There are scale costs in the District Court. No judge is going to give anything more that a few hundred euro for witness expenses.

Advertisement