Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replace furniture

Options
  • 17-05-2013 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am renting my apartment for 2 1/2 years, when I first moved in the couch was not great, landlord had to replace the carpet before I moved in due to staining from the last tenant, so I didn't say anything about the couch.

But couple of years in it really needs to be replaced now it is an old fashioned couch and I would say she probably bought it second hand in the first place.

There is no support left in the cushions and you can't sit on it for long without it hurting you, and if I am are sitting in it for the evening I end up with a sore back because there just isn't the correct support.

Does the landlord need to replace this? Or is it wishful thinking on my part?

Also the there is two balconies in the apartment with patio doors out onto them, the cold that gets in from these is awful, when it is windy out you can see the curtains moving! I have tried to put up some insulation on the door frame myself but it hasn't done much there is still a gap there.

The apartment is very very cold in the winter and costs me a fortune to heat, as all of the heat escapes through the doors, on average it would take 2-3 hours for it to warm up and then as soon as you turn the heat off it's cold again within an hour, does she also have to rectify this? I really need this looked after so that next winter it is warmer.

It is a corner apartment so I think that probable makes it worse because it's open to the elements from all sides! But would the landlord have to properly seal up the doors and windows?

Should I ask for a BER rating to be done?

Thanks for any advice you all have to offer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I am renting my apartment for 2 1/2 years, when I first moved in the couch was not great, landlord had to replace the carpet before I moved in due to staining from the last tenant, so I didn't say anything about the couch.

But couple of years in it really needs to be replaced now it is an old fashioned couch and I would say she probably bought it second hand in the first place.

There is no support left in the cushions and you can't sit on it for long without it hurting you, and if I am are sitting in it for the evening I end up with a sore back because there just isn't the correct support.

Does the landlord need to replace this? Or is it wishful thinking on my part?

Also the there is two balconies in the apartment with patio doors out onto them, the cold that gets in from these is awful, when it is windy out you can see the curtains moving! I have tried to put up some insulation on the door frame myself but it hasn't done much there is still a gap there.

The apartment is very very cold in the winter and costs me a fortune to heat, as all of the heat escapes through the doors, on average it would take 2-3 hours for it to warm up and then as soon as you turn the heat off it's cold again within an hour, does she also have to rectify this? I really need this looked after so that next winter it is warmer.

It is a corner apartment so I think that probable makes it worse because it's open to the elements from all sides! But would the landlord have to properly seal up the doors and windows?

Should I ask for a BER rating to be done?

Thanks for any advice you all have to offer

Just tell her to sort it or you'll leave. That's the glory of renting, you can always just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cant be that bad if you have been living there for 2 1/2 years. if you don't like it why don't you move ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the couch is as bad as you say it is then I dont see the problem in asking for it to be replaced. As you describe it it doesnt sound fit for purpose.

The issue of the windows might not be as straightforward to fix, but if it is as bad as you say it is then I would at least talk to the landlord about it and see what they can do. If they cant/wont sort it then you will have no choice but to move (noone should have to put up with that sort of cold in winter), but if you are a good tenant, or even if they simply care about the property, then they may well get it looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cookiesandmilk

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Just tell her to sort it or you'll leave. That's the glory of renting, you can always just walk away.

this is true! I suppose I haven't left because it's a great area for me, and every other apartment I have looked at advertised seems to be a lot more expensive and I can't afford to pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

this is true! I suppose I haven't left because it's a great area for me, and every other apartment I have looked at advertised seems to be a lot more expensive and I can't afford to pay more.

Maybe you're paying less for a reason then. The more expensive apartments probably have more money gone into them. You're paying a lot more in fuel tho, so it might balance out paying a little extra each month for rent. Do the math and see if makes sense for you to move

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ this! ....+ i bet you consider it your home and dont want to move, right?....you've tolerate stuff for a long time but now you want something done.

Are you afraid of the LL evicting you for complaining or raising the rent?....i know alot of people fear this, been there myself :(

From my experience they only way to get things done is do it yourself, but money is an issue....parents/friends/family. Put feelers out to se if there is a couch knocking about cheap.

You'd be amazed how many people want to throw out couches!...often they'll give it for free or a few quid as long as it take it away.

The draft, harder...heavy curtains?....draft excluders?...gotta be a way to seal up the area, silicon gel?....those strips of insulation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

[QUOTE=cookiesandmilk;84663531....The apartment is very very cold in the winter and costs me a fortune to heat,...[/QUOTE]

If its that bad I doubt anything the LL can do will improve it that much.

I think I would be looking to rent a better place and get a ber rating before you move in. Also find something thats cheap to heat. You could ask the LL are they planning on upgrading the place. But there would be few LL, in a position so spend thousands upgrading a place at the moment.

So if you move that solves all the other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you should definitely ask for a new couch or newer couch than the one you have
    I have replaced couches for my tenants when they ask as I know that they need to be replaced due to age or wear

Advertisement