Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Complaint Help

• 17-05-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I had a Dublin Bus driver beep at me and then pull in on top of me while trying to pull in at this stop:

http://goo.gl/maps/jfQbj

I was fully in the bike lane, and cycling straight. I'm not sure what he was up to but I consider it dangerous driving and want to report him.

There was no reasonable excuse for the manoeuvre.

I didn't get a registration number. It was a 145 as far as I could tell, at that stop at 4:55pm today. Driver was overweight, with dark brown hair, a goatee and sunglasses.

How do I find out who he was so I can contact DB?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

For complaint purposes, you would need to email Dublin Bus with the information you have. However, as the 145 is a high frequency route, it is unlikely they will be able to identify the driver to the standard of certainty required for formal action, without vehicle details (reg or fleet number).

C635.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Conway635 wrote: »
    The bike lane at that stop is not on the road, in is on the footpath, and is several feet away from the road as it runs alongside the wall, in order to leave a large space clear for passengers to wait and alight at the stop.
    http://goo.gl/maps/rOZep

http://goo.gl/maps/W0CSi

The bike lane is the bus lane in that direction until just after the red part of the bus lane ends where it merges with the 2-directional bike lane. The bit of bike lane to the left of the bus stop is one direction only, the opposite direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Wow Conway635, that seems like an OTT response and hopefully you'll rethink your tone after I clarify.

I was travelling southbound. The cycle lane is on the road until after the bus stop when it moves onto the footpath. I was on the on-road section, in my lane at the time.

Maybe you're thinking of cycling northbound at that section?

Alun wrote: »
    http://goo.gl/maps/rOZep

http://goo.gl/maps/W0CSi

The bike lane is the bus lane in that direction until just after the red part of the bus lane ends where it merges with the 2-directional bike lane. The bit of bike lane to the left of the bus stop is one direction only, the opposite direction.

If that's the case then I'm wrong on that one - apologies.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 joehig

the info you stated should be enough for DB to find that driver

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »
    Wow Conway635, that seems like an OTT response and hopefully you'll rethink your tone after I clarify.

I was travelling southbound. The cycle lane is on the road until after the bus stop when it moves onto the footpath. I was on the on-road section, in my lane at the time.

Maybe you're thinking of cycling northbound at that section?

Yes - I was thinking of the northbound cycle lane, by the wall - my apologies.

As regards the complaint info though, you'll find it difficult without a vehicle identification. I know you gave a physical description, but on a route where potentially several 145s would have served that stop in a short period of time, HR would have a hard time making anything stick.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I had a Dublin Bus driver beep at me and then pull in on top of me while trying to pull in at this stop:

I was fully in the bike lane, and cycling straight. I'm not sure what he was up to but I consider it dangerous driving and want to report him.

I didn't get a registration number. It was a 145 as far as I could tell, at that stop at 4:55pm today. Driver was overweight, with dark brown hair, a goatee and sunglasses.

Where did you come from before that junction ? were you coming from Wyatville road or were you coming straight down the N11 ?

Was the bus in front of you or were you alongside it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think I recognise that driver though, seen him a few times on the 145. Shouldn't be too hard to track down. Anyway, wouldn't there be GPS tracking info available to pinpoint who was at that stop at 4.55pm?

cdebru wrote: »
    Where did you come from before that junction ? were you coming from Wyatville road or were you coming straight down the N11 ?

Was the bus in front of you or were you alongside it ?

I was coming straight from the N11. I was ahead of the bus, doing probably 15KMPH when he overtook me, beeping as he overtook, and then turned directly in on top of me forcing me to brake because otherwise he'd have "crushed" me against the kerb.

Why, whatcha thinking?

Alun wrote: »
    I think I recognise that driver though, seen him a few times on the 145. Shouldn't be too hard to track down. Anyway, wouldn't there be GPS tracking info available to pinpoint who was at that stop at 4.55pm?

That's what I would have thought, the GPS technology would have been able to tell what bus was there at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I was coming straight from the N11. I was ahead of the bus, doing probably 15KMPH when he overtook me, beeping as he overtook, and then turned directly in on top of me forcing me to brake because otherwise he'd have "crushed" me against the kerb.

Why, whatcha thinking?

I was merely asking, so he overtook you just before the stop and then pulled into the stop. should have at least partially been caught on the CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i wonder if he will say he was indicating to pull in and you shot past him on the inside...

corktina wrote: »
    i wonder if he will say he was indicating to pull in and you shot past him on the inside...

Nope, because directly before this we were stopped at the lights, I was in the ASL area, I was there and stationary before he arrived, I pulled away from the green light faster than him and had thereby established a clear position ahead of him.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's worth saying that even if there was a cycle lane or path off the road, there is no obligation to use it with flow (there is when cycling contra-flow).

That amount of info should be ok -- Dublin Bus should have no problem narrowing it down to a few buses and then reviewing the CCTV of those buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting response to Conway635 I feel...

There is always scope for rethinking one's tone I find.

I am heartened to note that you were not injured in this incident,as a bus pulling in on top of a cyclist will almost invariably cause serious injury or death.

I am also glad to see that you clarify that you regard it as dangerous driving rather than stating it as a proven fact.

You do not need to "find out who he was" at all in order to make a complaint,all you need is the route,approximate time and direction.

It is equally available to you to make a complaint directly to the Gardai,however such complaints are best made as soon as possible after the incident if they are to be addressed effectively.

As an aside,could you speculate as to why the Busdriver would sound the warning device (horn) before pulling in on top of you ?

Given the general traffic levels on the N11 Dual Carriageway on an average Friday evening,I would imagine that there were other vehicles,cycles,motorcycles,even buses and coaches travelling in the same direction...were you aware of any other vehicles in proximity to yourself or the bus ?

I would recommend that if you consider the issue clear-cut and dried to your satisfaction,then submit your report to whichever agency you consider best suited to satisfy your needs.

If you do submit such a report,I would counsel against further posts in relation to it,as it could be counterproductive to your complaint.

I would suggest that you await any responses,and/or results to your complaint before developing the issue on thread ?

But it's totally up to yourself in the final analysis.

We await developments.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interesting response to Conway635 I feel...

To be fair Alek, my original reply, before I edited it to remove incorrect info, was considerably off base.

So the OP's OTT comment is justified.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Conway635 wrote: »
    To be fair Alek, my original reply, before I edited it to remove incorrect info, was considerably off base.

So the OP's OTT comment is justified.

C635

I found your original response quite balanced,factual and containing relevant advice 635,all that was incorrect was the direction of travel,which made it irrelevant to the OP's issue...I certainly did,nt see any problem with your "tone",if you see where I'm coming from ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement