Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurter

Options
  • 17-05-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

A new log for me. Back training with some consistency for about 5-6 weeks now after about 9 months off.

Bought some SRMs about 3 weeks ago and so far I am just recording power but not using it for sessions, testing will happen in a couple of weeks and I'll go from there.

My current easy wattage is around 180-190 and I would guess my FTP is about 250 based on that and what I know from previous years. Not terrible, the watt/kg figure is not good tho'

Run wise, it is hard to run when you are fat. All low effort stuff so far, at slow slow pace.. starting to enjoy it again now.

I have not swam since October.

I am 14lbs down on when I started 6 weeks ago, I would like to drop another 28lbs for September and another 7-8lbs over the next few months from then on.

My A race aim is the Abu Dhabi long course race in March 2014, I have no real short term plans apart from getting some fitness back and having fun again.
    I am getting married in September and may run the Dublin half as it is the week beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Welcome back sir.

What is it about T/D/M mods getting married this year???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

BTH wrote: »
    Welcome back sir.

What is it about T/D/M mods getting married this year???

Thanks. Hah, I had not considered all three of us were getting married this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You want to have 3 stone dropped by Sept? How much weight did you put on? :eek:

You want to have 3 stone dropped by Sept? How much weight did you put on? :eek:

A lot... I was 2.5 stone heavier than when I raced in Antwerp, I am now 1.5

I was well on my way to hitting my all time max of 18.5 from my pre tri days :) My aim is not to him my all time low of 11st from 2009/2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck to you dude, I look forward to following :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good to see you back up on the horse and enjoying it again. Make sure you book into a hotel that sells beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great to see you back in the groove Colm. Looking forward to the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Good to see you getting back into it, good luck! Will follow with interest.

Busy enough weekend, cycle planned for early Saturday morning but in the end it was not as early as I wanted.

Got 60km in, average power was 179watts with little or no HR drift. Happy enough with that. Would have liked to get 70km but I had to get home to head to Galway.

Communion followed by a stag in Galway left me a little under the weather on Sunday, luckily I was not the one driving back. The rest of the day involved watching the Giro, Tour of Norway and Tour of California on Eurosport. Not much of a drinker these days and I think I'll stick to that for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Meh, keep the weight on - it will stop you getting blown off the bridges in AD:)

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Meh, keep the weight on - it will stop you getting blown off the bridges in AD:)

Good luck with it!

What is the bike course like? I presume road surface is good but wind and heat are not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

mloc123 wrote: »
    What is the bike course like? I presume road surface is good but wind and heat are not?

Road quality is pretty good, but it is highway all the way with over-passes that can leave you pretty exposed if the wind is up. I didn't feel the heat so much, as the wind was high, particularly later in the day.

The spin around Yas Marina is nice (first time), but overall the bike course is crushingly boring :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back logging. Best of luck with the training

Back when I trained consistently I had routes. I had 2 run routes.. 3 during the summer and I had 2 cycle routes. I was so used to doing them that I did not have to think.

One Saturday morning I was already 10-15km into my cycle before I realised where I was. I went out tired and was on auto pilot. Over the years I grew to hate the routes but would stick to them anyway.

Since getting back I am trying to break this habbit and mix it up a bit. Run wise I have found a nice woods 5 minutes from my house and am enjoying running in it. There are some streams to jump over, mud to get stuck in and logs to dodge but it is fun and different.

My aim now to to enjoy getting out, not running through the motions and running the same road every night.

Training wise, an easy 6km on Tuesday and 30km easy on the bike last night with 190watts average. Biking feels strong at the moment, much stronger than it should after the months off. Maybe the sporadic 2hr spins every couple of weeks was enough to maintain some fitness.

Ran one leg of a company relay last night.. new company record :pac:

I am slow but can still suffer. Averaged 183bpm which is threshold for me, not tested yet this year but all previous tests have come in on 182bpm. It was nice to hurt, I'd like to run a 4/5km threshold for every stone I drop and see if the 4seconds/km/kg is correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

A new log for me. Back training with some consistency for about 5-6 weeks now after about 9 months off.

Bought some SRMs about 3 weeks ago and so far I am just recording power but not using it for sessions, testing will happen in a couple of weeks and I'll go from there.

My current easy wattage is around 180-190 and I would guess my FTP is about 250 based on that and what I know from previous years. Not terrible, the watt/kg figure is not good tho'

Run wise, it is hard to run when you are fat. All low effort stuff so far, at slow slow pace.. starting to enjoy it again now.

I have not swam since October.

I am 14lbs down on when I started 6 weeks ago, I would like to drop another 28lbs for September and another 7-8lbs over the next few months from then on.

My A race aim is the Abu Dhabi long course race in March 2014, I have no real short term plans apart from getting some fitness back and having fun again.
    I am getting married in September and may run the Dublin half as it is the week beforehand.

Excellent.

Abu Dhabi LC is a strong contender for my planned first race in 2014 also so may be racing you over there hopefully.

I can sense the long winter bike's already lol but am happy to only have started race season for now!

Fazz wrote: »
    Excellent.

Abu Dhabi LC is a strong contender for my planned first race in 2014 also so may be racing you over there hopefully.

I can sense the long winter bike's already lol but am happy to only have started race season for now!

Based on your results I don't think it will be much of a race unless you give me an hour or two head start.

Tonight is FTP test night. I don't know which I am more worried about, the pain or the low numbers.

Tonight is FTP test night. I don't know which I am more worried about, the pain or the low numbers.

Best of luck, enjoy and embrace the suffering:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

256 FTP
    270 AP for 20 minutes

• Advertisement

Not quite...

5min 327w
    20min 261w

FTP 248w

I probably paced it poorly, haven't tested in over a year and didn't have a feel for what 5/20 should be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Same ftp as me the last time I tested! need the power to kg number!

We can compare ftps Saturday morning if you are around for a quick spin.

Rest assured, the first incline we hit the watts/kg will become apparent. What do you weight these days? A hefty 60kg? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

no 69kg pre lanzarote - light for me! we can stay flat! My legs wont be recovered as yet.

Lunch time LTHR test... ouch.

185bpm is the new magic number, zones will be based on that. Pace dropped like a lead balloon during the 30min TT... a combination of heat and lack of endurance I guess.

Testing week is complete :pac:

Out with Tango this morning for a spin. We did 90 minutes up around the small lakes and I did a total over just over 2.5hrs.

Tango was talking me out of Abu Dhabi and into a standard IM instead. I am on the fence for now.

Out with Tango this morning for a spin. We did 90 minutes up around the small lakes and I did a total over just over 2.5hrs.

Tango was talking me out of Abu Dhabi and into a standard IM instead. I am on the fence for now.

My own honest opinion, you will be left a little underwhelmed by the course. 200k on a motorway is not very exciting. We need to sort a club trip to Frankfurt or something for next year!!

My own honest opinion, you will be left a little underwhelmed by the course. 200k on a motorway is not very exciting. We need to sort a club trip to Frankfurt or something for next year!!

Frankfurt is high high on his list alright.

Frankfurt is high high on his list alright.

Let's make it happen so:) Road trip.

• Advertisement

Training away these days, some issues over the weekend which look like they may be related to a wisdom tooth coming up but overall going well.

Running is coming along, I can control effort and HR and it is feeling easier, still very slow but moving in the right direction. Weight continues to come down which no doubt helps.

Race wise, I am no longer sure on Abu Dhabi and may end up in Frankfurt with Tango.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement