Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurter

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bambaata wrote: »
    Lanzarote 70.3 in October perhaps? Easy to get to, warm but not too warm and cheap accommodation (Sands Beach has a great setup). I can send you my files if you want tio take a look (although my Garmin wasnt working on bike and run properly!!)

Yup, on the list... I think it is late September this year. Other option is Challenge half in Majorca. It is on mid October and as above.. cheap and easy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Lava Man in Lanza is supposed to be good too.

What wheels you using for FF? Tubs or Clinchers?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Lava Man in Lanza is supposed to be good too.

What wheels you using for FF? Tubs or Clinchers?

I may end up doing Frankfurt on a road bike and box rims at this rate :)

Plan is tubs, need to get some use out of them.

Austin 70.3 is looking like a strong contender... need to see if I could ship my bike home direct afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

mloc123 wrote: »
    Austin 70.3 is looking like a strong contender... need to see if I could ship my bike home direct afterwards.

Austin, Texas??

For my recent 70.3, I used Raceday Transport to ship my bike and they were great...plus shipping to and from my bike shop made my life easy! Here's their website in case you want to have a look.

http://racedaytransport-webcart.com/main.sc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Ocean Lava in lanzarote is the start of november, loved it as a race last year. Nice cheap flights that time as well as it's just after the mid terms

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Austin, Texas??

For my recent 70.3, I used Raceday Transport to ship my bike and they were great...plus shipping to and from my bike shop made my life easy! Here's their website in case you want to have a look.

http://racedaytransport-webcart.com/main.sc

Yup. We are looking at flying to Austin and driving across to New Orleans and home. What better way to start a holiday than a 70.3.

Shipping it home might not be an issue but it would be hassle dragging it from place to place for the week or so after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

I have done Austin 70.3. Really enjoyed it & Austin is a cool place. Can be quite warm though still at that time of year. Let me know if you have any questions...

Lunch time run today, only 35mins but a start. Didn't turn GPS on as the numbers would only make me sad. Used my Garmin as a HRM instead.

16 weeks to FF, I am a bit concerned. Looking at the 15hr cut off tho..

Swim: ??
    Bike: I could average 25-26kph tomorrow if I had to so we will say 7hrs.
    Run: you can walk a marathon in 6hrs.. hopefully it will not come to that.

This would leave 2hrs for the swim, it sounds doable but anyone that has seen me in the water my have their doubts. Wetsuit would be my preferred option.

snack_ie wrote: »
    I have done Austin 70.3. Really enjoyed it & Austin is a cool place. Can be quite warm though still at that time of year. Let me know if you have any questions...

Will do, I think I will have a lot of questions. Temp wise, what is Austin like in mid October?

• Advertisement

Big gear bike work last night, I might roll back on my previous statement about being able to sit on a bike for 7hrs at the moment.

Flights to Texas booked now, will enter the 70.3 in the next few days.

Reasonable weekend for where I am. Got outside on the bike, first time since September... it really is much easier mentally than the trainer. Just did a little over 2hrs both pace and power were woeful.

Followed up by an hour on the trainer the next day, had planned 2hrs on it but just was not feeling it at all.

For the past two weeks I am back tracking what I eat etc.. as I need to lose the best part of 4 stone for FF, In reality if I drop 2.5-3 I would be happy for now.

Usually I could drop about 7lbs in the first week, I always put this down to bloated weight from all the junk I had ate up to that point. No such luck this time around. Averaging a steady 2lbs/week so far. FF is 15 weeks out now, leaving me with a potential 34lb loss if I keep this rate up.. not really enough.

I picked up a second hand treadmill on Adverts last week and have used it now a couple of times. Set up in my garage in front of a TV with Netflix...

Longer easy run yesterday while watching Doom... featured Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. As far as a game > movie adaptation goes, it wasn't terrible. I can see myself doing most of my running on it for the next couple of months, easy to control effort and HR.

Frankfurt is off now. I need to apply to get some of my entry fee back.

It has been a hard couple of weeks. My wife ended up in hospital and due to the incompetence of A&E in one hospital was left for 24hrs while she bled internally, leaving her in a very dangerous state before being transferred and operated on.

It has put things in perspective and even when she is fully better I would prefer to spend my time with her rather than train.

If a mod could lock this one up whenever they have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. So sorry to hear this about your wife, but relieved she's on the mend. Perspective is funny, but very good to have it in correct focus. The very best to you and yours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Scary stuff Colm. Glad to hear things are improving. Perspective!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement