Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple tree not blooming

• 17-05-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

All of my apple trees are in blossom except I tree that has very little. The tree is 5 years old and about 12 ft tall. I did some pruning last autumn but still no improvement.
    Any recommendations.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Give it a while longer, it might just be delayed or be a later bloomer anyway. I have a peach tree that hasn't shown any signs of life yet, I'm quite alarmed really but I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Thanks Northumbria, If I don't get some fruit this year I'll prune it severely in the Autumn. Possibly remove 1/3 of it to see it there is any improvement next year.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Your pruning, or the timing of it, may be the problem itself.
    If it was too severe the tree may be trying to grow rather than flower. The best time to prune apples for fruit is winter/early spring. Pruning in summer/autumn encourages lots of foliage growth but less flowering.
    Still -- it should have some flowers,,,,,,,

I'd leave it alone completely for at least a year and then maybe more - and see what happens. Just keep weeds and grass away from around the trunk.

Lottpaul
    thanks for your help. Thats next Winter taken care of!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

It might be a tip-bearer and you pruned off all the fruit buds?

• Advertisement

maybe, but the years I did not prune I still got no blossom/fruit.......So should I prune
    this Winter?

garroff wrote: »
    maybe, but the years I did not prune I still got no blossom/fruit.......So should I prune
    this Winter?

It depends on how straggly the tree is. It's probably "compact" enough after your pruning and I'd only prune if necessary - for crossing branches etc.

must take a photo and figure out how to get it up on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭hairynipple

Give it a while longer, it might just be delayed or be a later bloomer anyway. I have a peach tree that hasn't shown any signs of life yet, I'm quite alarmed really but I live in hope.

I'm in the same situation with a peach tree. Bought it in Homebase. It looks like its trying to bud but has just stopped. I scratched the branches and its still alive so I'm hoping for the best

I've got 3 pear trees also that I have given up on.

• Advertisement

20130518134004.jpg

noblossom.jpg

garroff wrote: »
    noblossom.jpg

Judging by those patches on the trunk, it looks diseased.

Just a quick recap-- this is 5 years old?
    Seems huge for that age. The patches on the trunk -- are they moss?
    Is this the tree that you pruned back -- because it seems to have an awful lot of small branches. Fruit trees need to be more open, letting plenty of air circulate around it.

The best thing would be to clear out a lot of those small branches and leave yourself with a more open tree shape.

The pears -- have they fruited in the past? What age are they? Our pears are very erratic - they flower early and if there are no insects to pollinate them then the fruit yield will be low.

Final question -- are the trees under stress at present -- is the site very dry/wet/exposed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was told by an orchard owner it can take up to 15 years for an apple tree to produce edible fruit ,

The patches on the truck are moss.
    Yes this tree needs adequate pruning...that I will do this Winter.
    How much should I cut back?
    Can you prune too much?
    Trees should not be stressed...site is in good condition and well sheltered but with adequate light.
    Pears.....2 trees never fruited...1 tree gave 4 small pears last year...this year (last 2 weeks) got small amount of blossom on 1 tree.
    Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions....keep them coming...they are appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Apples fruit on last years new wood. Bear that in mind when pruning.

Looking at the bark again, it doesn't even look like an apple tree. What makes you think it is? The bark looks like some sort of cherry, if you can post a larger, better quality picture and one of some leaves it would help.

Looking at the bark again, it doesn't even look like an apple tree. What makes you think it is? The bark looks like some sort of cherry, if you can post a larger, better quality picture and one of some leaves it would help.

Agreed. Similar thoughts had crossed my mind - the striping on the bark looks very like what you'd see on a wild cherry. You'd almost certainly get blossoms though, and some tiny fruit. OP says there are no blossoms :confused:

lottpaul wrote: »
    Agreed. Similar thoughts had crossed my mind - the striping on the bark looks very like what you'd see on a wild cherry. You'd almost certainly get blossoms though, and some tiny fruit. OP says there are no blossoms :confused:

Might just be too old I guess.

The pictures then:

20130518134004.jpg
    Looks like some sort of apple. not a pear. Pear blossom is usually white, apple blossom can be white, pink and red. Blossom and bark isn't right for a cherry.

noblossom.jpg
    And this one is either a cherry or Rowan, I need to see a leaf. And are you sure that's moss on the trunk?

• Advertisement

leavesblossom.jpg

Apple tree....definitely

Advertisement