Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble at work

Options
  • 17-05-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is quite the place to post about this, but I just need to tell someone, because I'm really worried.
    I've been at my current job for over 2 years working as an admin assistant. Part of this job includes filing. Filing has always been an issue for the company and myself due the vast amounts of paperwork. I filed for workforce of 20 when I first started but it became too much and now I file for about 6 people. However they produce the most paper work. I'm REALLY behind on the filing due to being busy and there was about 2ft of paperwork up until this afternoon when myself and colleague reduced it to half that size. However during the filing process my colleague was looking for two contract folders that we could not find. I am the person who sets the folders up initially and I'm really worried that I haven't done them for this year. Which is nearly 6 months worth of filing that hasn't been filed and NO files for them. I don't know what to do. e have an admin meeting soon and filing is one of the topics for discussion. I really don't know if I made the files and they've been misplaced (we looked everywhere) or that I haven't made them and I haven't filed anything! :\ it's going to cause so many problems. I wouldn't have done it intentionally but since I've had problems with filing before I'm really worried that they're going to fire me or something. I just need someone to talk to. Every time someone talks about filing my heart starts to race and I get all panicky it's making it harder for me to approach the situation. I don't know what to do. I've only got a week to sort it out as I'm going on away for 2 weeks. How would you deal with this situation, if you were me or the employer? I really don't know what to expect. I'm sorry for the essay and I know filing may seem a trivial matter, but it's very important in this line of business. :\

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

A managers perspective:

As a manager I always want staff to come to me with problems as soon as possible. Avoiding a problem or putting it off is like having sour milk in the fridge and tasting each morning hoping that the taste has improved since yesterday..

Hiding the problem or trying to solve it yourself is not the approach to take, You need some support, you are not going to get it unless you ask for it.

As for the missing contract folders,perhaps someone needed them and took them from your desk, one colleague was looking for them, another may have taken them already.

Your manager should be keeping an eye on his reports workloads and should know if you are having problems, it is part of his job to enable his staff to do their jobs by providing support, training, and processes.

Please speak with your boss, once you share this problem your stress will decrease and you will be able to move forward with his support.

Do not let it drag on until you are "Found Out" as the bosses reaction will be much worse if he finds out that you knew about the problem and did not tell him.

I know that it is hard to admit to a problem, take a deep breath and do it.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

sorry maybe there is a good reason but what business requires so much filing ?

Has anyone looked at electronic records ?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Sounds like you need a records manager...even a few hours a week.

Have a look at this website........it might help.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/projects-and-work/standards-records-managers.htm

Records management for businesses can be a very tricky area and inadequate RM can result in a lot of negatives for the business needs (not being able to find files being the most obvious)- as you prob can see yourself now.

I'd say be honest with your manager about the probs you've been having to date.

Advertisement