Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prodcom Database Missing Entries

Options
  • 17-05-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm using the www.CSO.ie Prodcom database (which references the TARIC database) to do market research on how many 'widgets' are getting imported to Ireland.
    It seems that this database is not being kept updated at all - even though it would be the first point of research for anybody looking to estimate market size for new products/services.
    Has anybody else any experience with this database?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

As the basic product classifications are pure rubbish, the other data is of equal quality.... In case you missed the point... Rubbish. That is why the private sector market for product data from Nielsens data is bought by the big consumer products companies.

Brushes, toilet, of nylon bristles, with handles of, plastic............

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Slainiae

I contacted Revenue to see if they have statistics based on the TARIC codes. After all they have a record of everything leaving and entering the country and the TARIC codes are fairly detailed. They pointed me towards the CSO.

As per EC regulation No 3924/91, Ireland should be keeping a record of each and every Procom code - they obviously aren't.
    As you say, the classifications are fairly broad, but they at least provide high level figures.

This leads to the question; where is Nielsens getting their information from? Detailed information can only come from TARIC codes, and only Revenue and the CSO have this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The Taric codes are so wide as to be irrelevant for real commercial purposes but the data is widely used by the looney brigade, government departments, ESRI etc.
    I don't wish to be condescending to you but I would imagine you are either a researcher or a student, otherwise you would never pose such a question.
    The Neilsen data comes from the market players not from the non-commercial voyeurs in the public sector, who are without and are insulated from any commercial nous. The Taric code classifications are set by them and their equally well educated international peers. sh*te in sh*te out, but they are happy with such an equilibrium!

Advertisement