Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Van VRT

Options
  • 17-05-2013 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

RESTORATION PROJECT

I've done a search and all the relevant threads are really old and I know the regulations have changed.

I am importing a 1987 Transit Camper, how will the OMSP be calculated does anyone know? It's in need of a fair bit of work, will that be taken into account?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i've just found the "shocker"thread which didn't show up on search.This answers some of my questions but as this is specifically about a restroation project, I'll leave it run f that's OK

noone? oh well guess I'll find out on tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

Its revenue who determine the omsp. Basically you have to pay what they ask and then go about appealing it. In your appeal you can set out the work that needs to be done, include photographs and estimates etc

The nct centre will view the van and check chassis number etc and confirm that it is what your papers say it is, i.e. confirm that it qualifies to be registered as a camper van here. revenue will value the camper without viewing it after the nct centre sends on the paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Mhen66 wrote: »
    The nct centre will view the van and check chassis number etc and confirm that it is what your papers say it is, i.e. confirm that it qualifies to be registered as a camper van here. revenue will value the camper without viewing it after the nct centre sends on the paperwork

NCT? I've never heard of them being involved at this stage.

The first thing you have to do when you get the vehicle over is take it to your local Revenue and Customs office to get it registered as Irish. Not sure just how much lee way time they will allow on this. You must have all the UK documents, REg. book etc, receipt for the purchase of the vehicle and proof of yourself and utility bill. They will inspect it and if the vehicle has all basic requirements to be classed as a camper that's what it will go down as.
    You will then be told how much VRT to pay which you have to pay there and then or at least before they will change registration.
    If it meets the requirements then the condition of the interior etc won't matter.

Thats when you start the appeal with all the 'photo's and relevent information.

As the saying goes: "And that is when the fight started".

There are plenty of other thread on this.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

That's now all done at nct centre. You pay the vrt there also

Are you saying that the VRT centres, which at the end of the day are only garages, do the re-registration to Irish and they decide on the amount of VRT and the category of the vehicle?.

They examine it, send the details to revenue who come back to them with the vrt within a day or two. You pay the vrt at the nct centre and then appeal to revenue. The lady that examined mine knew nothing about campers but then again all she did was cross check chassis number and engine number, and checked for sink.

But you still have to go to Customs and Revenue when you bring the vehicle into the country in order to get it re-registered, yes?

No, appointment with nct only. They deal with revenue and contact you with the vrt cost . No contact with revenue until appeal

• Advertisement

This seems very odd to me.:confused:

You refer all the time to NCT when campers don't go to a NCT station, they only deal with cars.
    Are you sure that what you're saying is for cars but not campers which go to authorised garages for testing?.

I'll have a look into it.

I have just gone through the process. Campers now go to nct centres initially. Trust me. Revenue don't look at the camper at all. They have passed all of this over to nct. Once the inspection is done, nct have the paperwork and deal with revenue, who give them the vrt figure. You then go and pay at nct centre, get receipt , reg number, and then you have to get doe before camper can be taxed.

Its nothing to do with testing. Its a pre registration inspection.

OK, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

How did you find this out? I've just gone through Customs and Excise and RSA web sites and could see nothing?.

If I was importing another camper I would have automatically gone straight to, in my case, Castlebar and had a wasted half hour drive each way!

And I've seen nothing posted on here.

Check out http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/vrt-calculator.html,
    The Revenue Commissioners have appointed the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) to carry out a range of vehicle registration functions on their behalf.

From 1 September 2010, it will no longer be possible to register a vehicle at a Revenue Vehicle Registration Office (VRO). Instead, the vehicle must be brought to an NCTS Centre for registration.

You must book your appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and have completed the registration within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State.

Revised Vehicle Registration Procedures - effective from 1 September, 2010

Further information on VRT: Vehicle Registration Tax

Print this page

All you ever wanted to know about vrt but were afraid to ask can be found at http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html

My mistake! I looked under Customs and Excise, that was where I expected to see it.

I see that it changed in 2010, I brought my camper over in 2009, but I still don't remember seeing or hearing anything about it anywhere. And don't forget that at that time we were all. on here, getting involved with vehicle testing, so very strange that it never came up then.

When I brought the camper over I just did the same as when I brought the car over in '96.

How did you know things had changed?.

I looked up the revenue site before I brought in my Hymer earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

they do indeed value it on irish Prices, it's what they reckon a Dealer here would charge for the vehicle.....my van, being in need of restoration, isn't the sort of thing a Dealer would sell so I can see them charging me the earth and me having a long appeal process to go through.

When the Revenue used to assess vehicles themselves, they would take into account it's condition and you could , and i did, negotiate on the spot, getting the VRT reduced as the vehicle needed welding and other work. As far as I can see you can't do this anymore

• Advertisement

As was said on another thread recently, the only reason for importing that's worthwhile nowadays is if you can't find what you're looking for here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

that wouldn't be too bad then, if you pick up one for 5000 and th Revenue value it at €10000 then the VRT would be 1330, total cost 6330 for a 10000 van....

In my case, my van is worth maybe 3000 and has cost me nearly that and I'm afraid they will value it at the same 10000, making the cost overall more than it's worth, than I can afford and than I budgeted for...(i budgeted for 700ish as a car would be)

VRT came in at a bargain €294....i paid it quick before they changed their minds...

Advertisement