Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

7upfree wrote: »
    As usual, Hogan looking after KK - even though it's not a major City.

LOL. Hold the press, a TD/Minster looking after his constituency. The rest of your post is just as petty, naturally. Waterford is a "major" city now as well? Delusions. Dublin is the only major city here, Cork, Limerick, Galway reasonably sized. The rest small regional towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

road_high wrote: »
    LOL. Hold the press, a TD/Minster looking after his constituency. The rest of your post is just as petty, naturally. Waterford is a "major" city now as well? Delusions. Dublin is the only major city here, Cork, Limerick, Galway reasonably sized. The rest small regional towns.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus christ can we not have a discussion without bashing our neighbours or being jealous? Kilkenny is a city, get over it. Other cities are suffering, get over it. The initiative hasn't appeared to have even started and as long as it benefits the country, and the cities it operates within, than who cares?

We are all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Some of us are in it more than others though (in the sh1t I mean), we had a minister here during fairly good years and we got a bridge that was being campaigned for long before we got that ministry, a bridge that nobody uses, so the CC clog up the quay with trees to force traffic to use it. Go on sully I dare you to use this as an opportunity to slag ff and claim fg are making the best of a bad situation.

in other news, talking about "looking after their own"

proposed tech uni for kk.. wtf? oh right, little scaredy cat phil

coffey recently said that he is disappointed that the funding for Portlaw fire station is the only thing he has gotten locally in 13 years of public life (as if that is an achievement)

Sully wrote: »
    Jesus christ can we not have a discussion without bashing our neighbours or being jealous? Kilkenny is a city, get over it. Other cities are suffering, get over it. The initiative hasn't appeared to have even started and as long as it benefits the country, and the cities it operates within, than who cares?

We are all in this together.

If we "are all in this together" then why the sniping and attacks from our "neighbours"? Kilkenny isn't - and never will be - a "city". Sure why not throw Sligo, Clonmel, Dungarvan, Wexford, etc into the mix? We are far from "together". Anyone who thinks this is extremely naive.

If the people defending our "neighbours" put as much effort into promoting and defending a real City then we might actually get somewhere.

• Advertisement

nice_very wrote: »
    Some of us are in it more than others though (in the sh1t I mean), we had a minister here during fairly good years and we got a bridge that was being campaigned for long before we got that ministry, a bridge that nobody uses, so the CC clog up the quay with trees to force traffic to use it. Go on sully I dare you to use this as an opportunity to slag ff and claim fg are making the best of a bad situation.

in other news, talking about "looking after their own"

proposed tech uni for kk.. wtf? oh right, little scaredy cat phil

coffey recently said that he is disappointed that the funding for Portlaw fire station is the only thing he has gotten locally in 13 years of public life (as if that is an achievement)

Not half as disappointed as those who voted for him. Amazing to see though that, after all the lies and subterfuge perpetrated by this shower, that educated people are still prepared to defend them. Party politics is alive and kicking. Ireland will never change until that changes.

Sully wrote: »

Some people care about Waterford. Others care about ass kissing. Especially after the treatment that has been meted out to it by this excuse for a Government.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kilkenny is a city, anyone else who wants to debate this will be banned for petty trolling.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

so we have a FG supporter as a mod defending FG and a KK mod defending KK, with threats of bans... laughable

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

so we have a FG supporter as a mod defending FG and a KK mod defending KK, with threats of bans... laughable

Actually, its been in the charter for years by a former admin (who isn't from the South East) and its very clear that its an instant ban. Its been discussed to death and its a fact that Kilkenny is a city. Either way, its a completely stupid and pathetic argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

bit like arguing the fine Gael cause then !

/unfollows thread no point in posting in here if opinions are not respected

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I refer you to the charter, which I assume you've read?
    This includes starting a debate, or referring to, whether or not Kilkenny is a town/village/city/island/capital of Ireland etc. due to the problems that go with such a discussion.

Got a problem with a mod then I suggest you pm them. Anymore of this nonsense on thread leads to a warnings and/or bans being handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

strictly speaking kilkenny is a neither town or city,but a borough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

oh you've gone and done it now !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No more warnings on this guys, next person to continue this nonsense is banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

alright lets talk about gary wyse and fianna fails resurgence in waterford

Since it seems people are incapable of reading warnings I thought I'd just let people know that no further warnings/infractions will be issued. Bans of 1 month will now be handed out.

Also if people think they are being smart by thanking posts just so they can get a dig in in a roundabout way I'd like to outline that I'm taking a very dim view of this,

So if somebody makes a dig at mods etc and people think they are being smart by thanking that post then I'll also be banning people for thanking the post as this is basically the same as replying to the post saying you agree and only serves to continue such nonsense in this forum/thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

alright lets talk about gary wyse and fianna fails resurgence in waterford

as much as i dont want to vote for Zanu FF after what they done to the economy, FGs complete lack of real action on Waterford's unemployment problems means it is highly likely I would vote for him (wyse) if election tomorrow. FG have done nothing imaginative in helping the economy. Frankly, FF back in power could not be worse than what we have already.

FG may claim the ongoing work in VT, flood defences, fire station, court house etc as success for/in Waterford, I reckon most of these are in train long before FG came to power. the others are welcome but make little dent in our real problems. Most of the VT work was funded as far back as Cullen (10mill).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

There is not much choice out there if you do not want to vote for the existing gov parties.
    It will be interesting to watch how the votes go in the new East Waterford / City Electoral area as it is going to be the first time we will have such a mix of urban /rural vote, and will the rural element be enough to dilute the traditional left vote in the City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Max Powers wrote: »
    as much as i dont want to vote for Zanu FF after what they done to the economy, FGs complete lack of real action on Waterford's unemployment problems means it is highly likely I would vote for him (wyse) if election tomorrow. FG have done nothing imaginative in helping the economy. Frankly, FF back in power could not be worse than what we have already.

FG may claim the ongoing work in VT, flood defences, fire station, court house etc as success for/in Waterford, I reckon most of these are in train long before FG came to power. the others are welcome but make little dent in our real problems. Most of the VT work was funded as far back as Cullen (10mill).

To be honest the only people i see being anyway active are Cullinane and Halligan. I think they rest know the game is up and are afraid that if they put themselves in any kind social setting that they will be verbally destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hijpo wrote: »
    To be honest the only people i see being anyway active are Cullinane and Halligan. I think they rest know the game is up and are afraid that if they put themselves in any kind social setting that they will be verbally destroyed.

i know what you mean about Cullianane and Halligan, they have had been in the media more consistently than our 2 FG lads. Halligan has impressed me with his stance on various issues, never afraid to speak up about wrongs and is a leading member of that non-party group. Cullinane done well to get that report he chaired into national media. To be fair to the 2 FGs, you have to assume that they are working behind the media, trying to influence where they can, the trouble is, their influencing is not having any effect (seems to me anyway).

Its like a fight between 2 lads who you admire for what they are saying but realistically talk is cheap and no-one that matters is listening. Is anyone that matters listening to Coffey and Deasy? Doesnt look like it.

AS mentinoed by previous poster, choice we have comes down to least worst person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The thing about the three party aligned TD's is that they are bound by the party whip. Even though Deasy isn't currently aligned to Kenny, the three of them are quite young and will have one eye on their future career prospects.

Halligan can say what he likes as an independent. However, as there is a strong Government majority, independents have little or no influence at the moment. That is likely to change after the next election, as independents will probably gain a lot of seats, many of whom will be required to form some form of coalition agreement.

Cullinane in fairness to him is making a bit of noise in opposition, and will certainly give a voice to a certain proportion of the Waterford population who feel marginalised at the moment. However, it's a lot easier to hurl from the ditch. I'd also be very concerned about the prospects of Sinn Fein having any role in Government. Aside from my ethical concerns, I'd have serious concerns about their economic policies in particular, which are off the wall a lot of the time.

Hard to know if Wyse can recover the FF vote quickly enough to gain a seat in the next election. Anyone voting FF again so soon clearly has a very short memory. The economy will have hopefully recovered a little more by 2015, which may allow FG to hang on to a second seat. I would see Halligan and possibly Cullinane taking the other two. I believe that Conway, and Labour in general, will be dust after the next election.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The thing about the three party aligned TD's is that they are bound by the party whip. Even though Deasy isn't currently aligned to Kenny, the three of them are quite young and will have one eye on their future career prospects.

Halligan can say what he likes as an independent. However, as there is a strong Government majority, independents have little or no influence at the moment. That is likely to change after the next election, as independents will probably gain a lot of seats, many of whom will be required to form some form of coalition agreement.

Cullinane in fairness to him is making a bit of noise in opposition, and will certainly give a voice to a certain proportion of the Waterford population who feel marginalised at the moment. However, it's a lot easier to hurl from the ditch. I'd also be very concerned about the prospects of Sinn Fein having any role in Government. Aside from my ethical concerns, I'd have serious concerns about their economic policies in particular, which are off the wall a lot of the time.

Hard to know if Wyse can recover the FF vote quickly enough to gain a seat in the next election. Anyone voting FF again so soon clearly has a very short memory. The economy will have hopefully recovered a little more by 2015, which may allow FG to hang on to a second seat. I would see Halligan and possibly Cullinane taking the other two. I believe that Conway, and Labour in general, will be dust after the next election.

I know the party whip has most of them tight lipped however, if your not just a career politician and actually want to voice your views freely then just leave the party and go indipendant. If your confident that you do enough to get elected then whether or not your in a party shouldnt be an issue. With established parties becoming less and less attractive to the electorate in waterford for a number of reasons, then independants have just as much chance of getting elected... if of course youv shown you deserve to be elected.

I know the party whip has most of them tight lipped however, if your not just a career politician and actually want to voice your views freely then just leave the party and go indipendant. If your confident that you do enough to get elected then whether or not your in a party shouldnt be an issue. With established parties becoming less and less attractive to the electorate in waterford for a number of reasons, then independants have just as much chance of getting elected... if of course youv shown you deserve to be elected.

For many ambitious people, being elected is the first step on the road. They'll want to get onto high profile Dail committees, move towards getting a Junior Minister post, and then become a Minister and beyond.

Traditionally, you can't do the above as an independent. The type of people who normally end up going this route either came to politics late in life, or people who left, or were put out of policital parties.

Traditionally, you can't really have too much influence or power either, unless you're propping up a Government. We saw plenty of that in the last Fianna Fail led Government, where the independents held the country to ransom over a number of issues. You got people like Jackie Healy Ray and Michael Lowry holding up important national issues in order to force through local issues which probably did the country more harm than good at times.

As I mentioned earlier, we'll probably a change in the policital landscape in the next election. There will be a good chunk of independents in there in what will probably be a very unstable coalition which won't last very long. After that I think we'll revert to type and the party politics will return to fashion. Look at the apparent revival of FF to see how quickly this can happen.

hardybuck wrote: »

I would predict a SF/FF coalition next time out.

7upfree wrote: »
    I would predict a SF/FF coalition next time out.

A distinct possibility in terms of numbers. I still think FG will come out as the largest, but as I think that Labour will get a hammering, they might find it difficult to find a coalition partner. You might see some form of messy FG coalition with a group of like minded independents - Lucinda Creighton's group would immediately spring to mind.

FF and SF would appear on the surface to be compatible - they're both Republican parties, but I think many in FF would have serious ethical concerns with SF. Similarly, some in SF might not want to be associated with FF after spending so many years publicly lambasting them.

If SF got into power in any shape or form, I'd give the whole thing 2 years before it'd collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Gardner

I absolutely can’t wait for the next LE. FF are going to be on my hit list. Everyone will be out to get FG and LAB but we cannot forget these frauds!

People like Gary Wyse on Facebook make my blood boil. Coming out and attacking FG and LAB when his party drove us into this mess.

I have Wyse’s voting records and a lot of his publications and going to setup a Facebook page for everyone to see. We all remember his famous photo with the dummy Kenneally outside John Roberts Square at the last GE. Nice few captions could be added to this.

Roll On!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Gardner wrote: »
    I absolutely can’t wait for the next LE. FF are going to be on my hit list. Everyone will be out to get FG and LAB but we cannot forget these frauds!

People like Gary Wyse on Facebook make my blood boil. Coming out and attacking FG and LAB when his party drove us into this mess.

I have Wyse’s voting records and a lot of his publications and going to setup a Facebook page for everyone to see. We all remember his famous photo with the dummy Kenneally outside John Roberts Square at the last GE. Nice few captions could be added to this.

Roll On!

Irish people have short memories. I would not be one bit surprised if FF (in coalition) will make up the next government.

Also please bare in mind that Lab and FG also played a part in screwing up our economy. Yes, FF have to take the lion's share of the blame but the other political parties have to take some blame too.

• Advertisement

Fill it with independants, they might get preoccupied with bickering amongst themselves and forget to screw us :pac:

Advertisement