Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

>>No political party is willing to touch this with a bargepole, I have criticised her a lot but in fairness, our lady TD (Ciara ???) from Dungarvan area whose name escapes me has talked it up in last year or so only for the politcians to strike down the proposed bill. In the mean time our politicians are happy to have women who were raped travel long distances to another country adding to a stressful situation again for the procedure. Women who have had the tragedy of fetal fatality are also made travel, it must be devastating. re: the posters, they shouldnt be disturbing, if they want to protest, fair enough I suppose, even if i dont agree>>

So the inconvenience of travel outweighs the right of the unborn foetus to life?

yep, its outrageous that women have to travel for this, embarassing little country that we are. In fairness to ciara conway, she has been vocal on this issue. also in fairness, its the only thing she has being vocal on and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Ms Conway has pursued the abortionist agenda for some time now which is ironically in stark contrast to her gushing statements about the welfare of the children.She is singularly the worst TD we have had since Tom Kyne , a non performer who seems to revel in the celebrity of her status. I think it is a tribute to this country that we have resisted for so long to adopt the presence of the killing fields ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Burn everything British (except their coal and their abortion clinics!)

Burn everything British (except their coal and their abortion clinics!)

Another comment bearing no relation whatsoever to the original statement. Did you actually read what I posted ? The point I was making and I will try to make it as simple as possible for you ;) is that inconvenience is no reason to adopt any law sanctioning abortion. Whether the person goes to Britain or wherever . You seem to read some form of anti British sentiment in my point ...hmmmmmmm...It is a matter of conscience and moral belief . What makes it so sad is that little gombeen Kenny ordering his party members to vote his way on a matter of conscience . Even Eoin O Duffy in his most virulent fascist mode would not have done this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Ms Conway has pursued the abortionist agenda for some time now which is ironically in stark contrast to her gushing statements about the welfare of the children.She is singularly the worst TD we have had since Tom Kyne , a non performer who seems to revel in the celebrity of her status. I think it is a tribute to this country that we have resisted for so long to adopt the presence of the killing fields ...

I have no comment to make on Mz Conways stand on the issue,but I do think she has grown considerably since her election.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I have no comment to make on Mz Conways stand on the issue,but I do think she has grown considerably since her election.

If she has grown it has been in a non political sense...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Putting the political element aside, it was great to see such a large delegation in Waterford from Fine Gael, Young Fine Gael and YouthEPP. There was a three day conference in the Tower Hotel Waterford (which was selected after numerous counties and including other hotels in Waterford 'bidded' to have the event) with over 300 delegates from around the country and around Europe in attendance. They were all out shopping locally, in local restaurants, pubs, cafes and so on. Their attendance packs also included a booklet on Winterval and a map of Waterford.

Genuinely putting aside the politics, any large gathering in Waterford that results an increase of footfall around the city and a positive boost to local businesses must be welcomed with open arms. Time was scheduled for visits to Waterford Crystal and the Medieval Museum, where I believe a gift was given to some of the international visitors from Waterford Crystal. The Foundry and the Reg also were part of the delegates visits. Mayor Cummins and Minister Varadkar gave positive speeches about Waterford, encouraging people to come back and spend time around the City, pointing out to recent investments to improve the area while acknowledging its difficulties.

I wasn't in full attendance but I did get time to speak with some of those in attendance, including those coming from overseas, and the feedback was all positive. They all loved Waterford, high praises for the Viking Triangle, The Reg, No.9 Cafe and in particular The Tower Hotel who were very accommodating and helpful. I genuinely hope that the positive experience from their visit will benefit us going forward with the good word being spread and potential revisits. We can only hope because Waterford needs everything that it can get right now.

There were other speakers and guests in attendance, I believe, from local business groups and that Waterford kid who developed an app for iPhone (forgive my ignorance, I wasn't in attendance so I am sketchy on the details).

Sully wrote: »
    Putting the political element aside, it was great to see such a large delegation in Waterford from Fine Gael, Young Fine Gael and YouthEPP. There was a three day conference in the Tower Hotel Waterford (which was selected after numerous counties and including other hotels in Waterford 'bidded' to have the event) with over 300 delegates from around the country and around Europe in attendance. They were all out shopping locally, in local restaurants, pubs, cafes and so on. Their attendance packs also included a booklet on Winterval and a map of Waterford.

Genuinely putting aside the politics, any large gathering in Waterford that results an increase of footfall around the city and a positive boost to local businesses must be welcomed with open arms. Time was scheduled for visits to Waterford Crystal and the Medieval Museum, where I believe a gift was given to some of the international visitors from Waterford Crystal. The Foundry and the Reg also were part of the delegates visits. Mayor Cummins and Minister Varadkar gave positive speeches about Waterford, encouraging people to come back and spend time around the City, pointing out to recent investments to improve the area while acknowledging its difficulties.

I wasn't in full attendance but I did get time to speak with some of those in attendance, including those coming from overseas, and the feedback was all positive. They all loved Waterford, high praises for the Viking Triangle, The Reg, No.9 Cafe and in particular The Tower Hotel who were very accommodating and helpful. I genuinely hope that the positive experience from their visit will benefit us going forward with the good word being spread and potential revisits. We can only hope because Waterford needs everything that it can get right now.

There were other speakers and guests in attendance, I believe, from local business groups and that Waterford kid who developed an app for iPhone (forgive my ignorance, I wasn't in attendance so I am sketchy on the details).

Probably needs more than lip service from Varadkar and company to get the whole region out of the you know what....maybe an injection of 6 million with no questions asked like Noonan gave to Limerick? We should have our own dose of cronyism .....

Another comment bearing no relation whatsoever to the original statement. Did you actually read what I posted ? The point I was making and I will try to make it as simple as possible for you ;) is that inconvenience is no reason to adopt any law sanctioning abortion. Whether the person goes to Britain or wherever . You seem to read some form of anti British sentiment in my point ...hmmmmmmm...It is a matter of conscience and moral belief . What makes it so sad is that little gombeen Kenny ordering his party members to vote his way on a matter of conscience . Even Eoin O Duffy in his most virulent fascist mode would not have done this......

"original statement"???? my comment had nothing whatsoever to do with you and was not in response to anything you may have posted...

"original statement"???? my comment had nothing whatsoever to do with you and was not in response to anything you may have posted...

Heres a challenge, identify the post you were responding to and I will withdraw my comment ! Happy hunting :cool:

• Advertisement

Heres a challenge, identify the post you were responding to and I will withdraw my comment ! Happy hunting :cool:

are "stand-alone" comments not allowed on the politics thread??? Forgive me please.....I will seek your permission in future before I post...:p

are "stand-alone" comments not allowed on the politics thread??? Forgive me please.....I will seek your permission in future before I post...:p

So I was right....you must be embarrassed at this stage, Instead of looking for my permission , try to resist knee-jerk ill-informed reaction .Formulate a cogent reasoned retort , evaluate it and then respond. Would garner a smidgeon more respect :rolleyes:

So I was right....you must be embarrassed at this stage, Instead of looking for my permission , try to resist knee-jerk ill-informed reaction .Formulate a cogent reasoned retort , evaluate it and then respond. Would garner a smidgeon more respect :rolleyes:

mortified I am!

It all goes back to your supposed once off asinine comment quoting Arthur Griffiths ....if you cant stand over a comment .....and you cant if your evasive "" stand alone comment"" reason is to be taken into account.

Of course I stand over my comment...I just wanted to point out that it had absolutely nothing to do with anything that you wrote or posted....is that clear enough for you???

Of course I stand over my comment...I just wanted to point out that it had absolutely nothing to do with anything that you wrote or posted....is that clear enough for you???[/Q

To quote the immortal bard ..."".methinks the lady doth protest too much""
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

ping .... pong

ping .... pong

ping .... pong

unemployment at 13% nationally they are saying, i dont buy it in general. Are we still 20% in SE and 25% in the city? CSO/govt i presume purposely keep those regional/county figures out of easy access.

Have you noticed various people saying they expect a job announcement in city soon, the mayor was at it last week (was in the munster express), city manager was at it a while back and i think i can recall others. are they just trying to get their name in , in the hope that something is announced and they can say they knew about it long ago/were involved? would surprise me. The only thing is, i remember the city manager saying he hopes or expects that that there will be a retail announcement soon, that was 6+ months ago at this stage.

unemployment rate is approx. 16.5% in the south east region

unemployment rate is approx. 16.5% in the south east region

Black area economically, poorly represented by a FG dissenter , a powerless independent, a star struck open mouthed labour lightweight and another previously vocal FG senator seemingly dumb struck by power. Whatever happened to ""our way and not Frankfurts way"" They are so comfortable sitting in power with their 200,000 plus while families in their constituency live in misery crippled by all the additional charges heaped upon their meagre budgets.
    People who expected an improvement given the promises made, a fresh start so to speak. Their hopes have been dashed by a regime of such bewildering incompetence it beggars belief. Middle Ireland has been raped by these people in an unholy rush to feed the bond holders. Private health insurance, local robbery charge, disastrous health policy, education being priced out of reach for the working people , a welfare system which is inequitable, taking medical cards from the most vulnerable in society, , a leader who is a buffoon etc etc.. For shame.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black area economically, poorly represented by a FG dissenter a powerless independent, a star struck open mouthed labour lightweight and another previously vocal FG senator seemingly dumb struck by power.

Was Waterford ever, in your opinion, well represented by previous Governments/TDs?

What way do you think you'd vote in 2015 the way things are going?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Was Waterford ever, in your opinion, well represented by previous Governments/TDs?

What way do you think you'd vote in 2015 the way things are going?

Waterford has never been properly represented , in that we have never had a calibre of TD to represent us on the national stage.Cullen , a man I disliked extremely, did attain prominence on the national stage and was articulate . The rest however are and have been poor. Austin Deasy was able but was in Agriculture which would have minimal effect on the ordinary working guy/girl/family. I would love for a new party to emerge from middle Ireland,A party not concerned with civil war politics like the current big two are. A party dedicated to improving the country , one not invested in cronyism as the current two parties are. And I speak of FF and FG (labour do not count as an entity)

At the moment I honestly could not commit my vote anywhere!

Waterford has never been properly represented , in that we have never had a calibre of TD to represent us on the national stage.Cullen , a man I disliked extremely, did attain prominence on the national stage and was articulate . The rest however are and have been poor. Austin Deasy was able but was in Agriculture which would have minimal effect on the ordinary working guy/girl/family. I would love for a new party to emerge from middle Ireland,A party not concerned with civil war politics like the current big two are. A party dedicated to improving the country , one not invested in cronyism as the current two parties are. And I speak of FF and FG (labour do not count as an entity)

At the moment I honestly could not commit my vote anywhere!

In that case, the lack of strong representation must be a reflection of the people of Waterford as well. Either Waterford does not produce individuals of high enough calibre, or the people of Waterford will not vote these individuals in. Either way, there is blame or criticism on all sides there with that.

Just on the topic of agriculture there, you don't consider those represented by that umbrella to be the ordinary working guy/girl/family - I find that very strange.

In that case, the lack of strong representation must be a reflection of the people of Waterford as well. Either Waterford does not produce individuals of high enough calibre, or the people of Waterford will not vote these individuals in. Either way, there is blame or criticism on all sides there with that.

Just on the topic of agriculture there, you don't consider those represented by that umbrella to be the ordinary working guy/girl/family - I find that very strange.

When I spoke about Agriculture my inference was that Agriculture is a minor but powerful section of the general populace. The majority of the population is engaged in activities other than agriculture. I blame the party system really. The majority of our public representatives are morons and simpletons with no redeeming qualities in my eyes .This can be evidenced by witnessing their regular bun fights at local council level. The fact is that there are too many TDs , local councillors etc. Prune the total number, and get quality in ...

When I spoke about Agriculture my inference was that Agriculture is a minor but powerful section of the general populace. The majority of the population is engaged in activities other than agriculture. I blame the party system really. The majority of our public representatives are morons and simpletons with no redeeming qualities in my eyes .This can be evidenced by witnessing their regular bun fights at local council level. The fact is that there are too many TDs , local councillors etc. Prune the total number, and get quality in ...

Without going too far off topic, agriculture has huge numbers involved in it. The full title is The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. About 8% of the nation's total employment are tied up in those sectors, which is larger than those employed in the professional and scientific, construction, IT, financial services and public administration industries.

An awful lot of the people working in that sector do so part time, and also work in industry, education, construction, healthcare - everywhere basically. That's an awful lot of the the 'middle Ireland' you make reference to.

Without going too far off topic, agriculture has huge numbers involved in it. The full title is The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. About 8% of the nation's total employment are tied up in those sectors, which is larger than those employed in the professional and scientific, construction, IT, financial services and public administration industries.

An awful lot of the people working in that sector do so part time, and also work in industry, education, construction, healthcare - everywhere basically. That's an awful lot of the the 'middle Ireland' you make reference to.

Not to appear pedantic 8% accounts for less than a tenth of the workforce hence my reference to the majority.The marine is a particularly neglected element of this department. The majority of this sector and I have personal experience of this are ompelled to avail of social welfare payments to supplement a meagre income. I understand where you are coming from but they nonetheless account for a small minority of the workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hey Mods, local elections are going to be topical the minute the new year is in, it is definitely Waterford related, and needs a lot of information as we have a whole new ward system etc, what are the proposals for this blanket ban as is in place at the moment?
    It would seem the least could be done is open a separate thread for local elections and keep a tight rein on it as well?

Only asking but fore armed is fore warned.
    WB2

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

I think a second local election thread would be a good idea,

I would say you will see a lot of new faces

Maybe its the Christmas spirit in me, im suspicious of all TDs/ministers/councillors but:
    With regards to transparency/dodginess in NAMA, kudos to Deasy:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/fionnan-sheahan/fionnan-sheahan-whatever-happened-to-coalitions-promise-of-transparency-29851245.html

Fine Gael TD John Deasy established that 10pc of the staff members who left the company went on to work for property and private-equity buyers.
    Mr Deasy put his questions to NAMA officials a couple of times to get the information he wanted.

Yeah yeah, i know the Taoiseach's door is effectively shut to Deasy and he probably aint gonna be able to influence in getting jobs to Waterford but you gotta admire a person who sticks their neck out. We need people who do so and to be fair, he has stuck his neck out on principle on a few occasions.

I saw Paudie coffey ask the most basic but perfect question to the Eirgrid fella when he asked would he like to live near an overhead power line, his response was everywhere.
    next day Deasy was asking the lads from the CRC another most basic but perfect question about whether they had any qualms about this whole salary top ups from charity scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Have FF really co-opted Gary Wyse's son to the sole FF seat in Waterford? *facepalm*

Advertisement