Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

nice_very wrote: »
    from another thread on 04/09/2012:

Tom Cunningham €34,648
    Davy Daniels, € 31,196
    Jim Darcy € 27,977
    Mary Roche € 48,966
    Jack Walshe € 23,706
    Gary Wyse €24.666
    Pat Hayes € 51,466
    Hilary Quinlan € 39,460
    Dick Roche € 26, 205
    Davy Walsh € 20,000
    John Cummins €31,314
    Cha O Neill €36,071
    Seamus Ryan €42,532

These cost include salary and expenses.
    LiamD1977 wrote: »
    City Manager has called in Garda to investigate a city councillors expenses.

Apparently its just one councillor

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0113/497627-waterford-council-expenses/

Id say theres more than one that should be investigated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

Cllr Dick Roche was just on WLR saying that he was the one being investigated.

He said that there was 7 conferences in question , that he attended 6 but one was cancelled. He tried to refund the money but it was to late.

Ironic that the Councillor with the lowest expenses ends up being investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Cllr Dick Roche was just on WLR saying that he was the one being investigated.

He said that there was 7 conferences in question , that he attended 6 but one was cancelled. He tried to refund the money but it was to late.

Ironic that the Councillor with the lowest expenses ends up being investigated.

Wasn't Davy Walsh the one with the least expenses? Either way, methinks this is a media distraction from what's actually going on. Like the Irish Water debacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    Wasn't Davy Walsh the one with the least expenses? Either way, methinks this is a media distraction from what's actually going on. Like the Irish Water debacle.

How do you make that out?
    This is driven by the internal audit system of WCC not the media, they just reported the managers comments to the monthly meeting.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yes, I would put a wager on an income tax cut in 2014 or 2015.

Just in time for a general election.:rolleyes: No matter what they cut it will not make up for how much the've screwed us since riding into power on that white horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just in time for a general election.:rolleyes: No matter what they cut it will not make up for how much the've screwed us since riding into power on that white horse.

If you're cynical yes, but it'll also tied to the stabilisation of the economy. If for some reason the finances disimprove you can forget about it.

The changes in the tax base will be required in the long term though. Whoever is in power in 10 years will require a similar approach.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    How do you make that out?
    This is driven by the internal audit system of WCC not the media, they just reported the managers comments to the monthly meeting.

Many of the posts here belong in the conspiracy theories forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I prefer my conspiracy,
    The Irish water thing is a distraction from the Irish bog issue,

But then thats a cover up for the fluoride in the water, which in turn is a cover up for the chem trails!!!

Cabaal wrote: »
    I prefer my conspiracy,
    The Irish water thing is a distraction from the Irish bog issue,

But then thats a cover up for the fluoride in the water, which in turn is a cover up for the chem trails!!!

Chem trails cover up lizard men

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

If your in hot water why not contact the local man Hilary
    I am sure he will spare no expense to sort it out.

• Advertisement

Many of the FG-RELATED posts here belong in the conspiracy theories forum.

According to some......:)

According to some......:)

Very witty there...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If I picked it up correctly on WLR, the expenses investigation is for one Cllr and it's over €300. Which seems very small for a Garda investigation but I assume the policy is that anything, no matter how small, results in an investigation. Not sure how I feel about that myself, seems like an awful waste of time but than again, if you let one small thing slide and then they all go at it, what happens next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The biggest issue to come out of all this is how they can be paid expenses without having to show any receipts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The biggest issue to come out of all this is how they can be paid expenses without having to show any receipts.

Unvouched expenses is absolutely mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

POLLING DAY is 23rd May for Local Elections!!....INTERESTING TIMES AHEAD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Gardner

lets get smashing at FF FG and Lab :)

destroy them!

Will people be voting based upon their judgement of the individuals and their performance/potential performance for the roles?

Or will people be voting based either on old party loyalties or in protest to the Government parties?

People who protest vote at the Government parties are just as bad as those who blindly vote for candidates based on old party loyalties, in my opinion.

Ill be voting for the person, although to be honest most of them don't amount to much.

Hoping some new candidates will come through.

Will people be voting based upon their judgement of the individuals and their performance/potential performance for the roles?

Or will people be voting based either on old party loyalties or in protest to the Government parties?

People who protest vote at the Government parties are just as bad as those who blindly vote for candidates based on old party loyalties, in my opinion.

So all those who voted FG/Labour in the last GE are idiots then?:)

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein and any DDI candidates for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Its a local election! you vote for someone you like that is effective and able to express themselves I would have thought.
    On mature reflection this may disqualify half of the sitting Councillors.

So all those who voted FG/Labour in the last GE are idiots then?:)

If they voted for them in a form of protest and/or based upon blind party loyalty, yes.

If they did some homework on the candidates, and voted for their preferred candidate based on their policies and profile, then no.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Its a local election! you vote for someone you like that is effective and able to express themselves I would have thought.
    On mature reflection this may disqualify half of the sitting Councillors.

Probably half the electorate or less will vote that way.

I think Dick Roche may as well forget it this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think Dick Roche may as well forget it this time round.

that the fella who objected to Newgate centre? who voted for him the last time after that f-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

Max Powers wrote: »
    that the fella who objected to Newgate centre? who voted for him the last time after that f-up.

Going by a old post you posted a few years ago,, I think you have the wrong fellow there.
    Max Powers wrote: »
    I see Brendan McCann is (unbelievably) objecting to the re-development of some shops in Arundel Square (H&M have been lined up - Munster). This man has been on a quest to stop any progress being made in Waterford by continuously objecting to, delaying and stopping badly needed and wanted projects in Waterford. If it wasnt for McCann, The Newgate Centre may be being built now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72181507&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

Hijpo wrote: »
    Sinn Fein and any DDI candidates for me.

From looking at facebook I see waterford sinn fein have revealed their candidates for the local elections,, DDI waterford page I can,t see any mention of any candidates they re planning to stand in the local elections as of yet.

KOTSC wrote: »
    From looking at facebook I see waterford sinn fein have revealed their candidates for the local elections,, DDI waterford page I can,t see any mention of any candidates they re planning to stand in the local elections as of yet.

I do know DDI will be running candidates in the locals, when they will be announced i dont know.

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    I do know DDI will be running candidates in the locals, when they will be announced i dont know.

I thought DDI shut up shop due to internal arguments / resignations over democracy issues at DDI HQ?

Advertisement