Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

While I think she doesn't fully grasp the role of an elected local official, at least she's trying and putting her head on the chopping block. She had a relation/father doing a leaflet drop for her today, nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

See theres a few politicans out at the cardiac march for the hospital seen blaise hannigan
    And 2 others from posters nt sure of there names

Ill have to research jenny yeh at leasts shes trying i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That Jenny Keane girl seems to be about using the media to highlight local issues etc. She must have had a relation of hers in Waterford Crystal or something but she can hardly run on it with that being the case.

I've seen a few people say they think Davy Walsh will get elected. I'm a bit surprised but maybe I'm missing something. I don't think The Workers' Party have a big organising out in Tramore and he's not exactly coasted in on the last two occasions when it was just the city. I personally think he'll be in the shake-up but will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

nkay1985 wrote: »
    That Jenny Keane girl seems to be about using the media to highlight local issues etc. She must have had a relation of hers in Waterford Crystal or something but she can hardly run on it with that being the case.

I've seen a few people say they think Davy Walsh will get elected. I'm a bit surprised but maybe I'm missing something. I don't think The Workers' Party have a big organising out in Tramore and he's not exactly coasted in on the last two occasions when it was just the city. I personally think he'll be in the shake-up but will struggle.

What about Joe Kelly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Is there any web site that has a list of all candidates and info on them? I've seen one or two (can't think of the name at moment) but they don't seem to have much on them regarding the Waterford election.(Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I have't come across it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is there any web site that has a list of all candidates and info on them? I've seen one or two (can't think of the name at moment) but they don't seem to have much on them regarding the Waterford election.(Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I have't come across it)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90267016&postcount=743

There are, as usual, a lot of unknown / single issue / no real issue candidates you wouldn't come across much info on a Google. But I believe the two main local papers have, or are planning on, covering each candidate (I think all of them anyway, if not the main players) while WLR also did a piece.

What about Joe Kelly ;)

Haha yeah he has a great chance!

Cards on the table for those who didn't already know, Joe Kelly is my father. He's running as an independent candidate in the Tramore Waterford City West electoral area.

I think it's going to be very tough but we're doing our best and the response at the doors has been good. Big area to cover though and I think the combined councils lends itself to parties as they can have broader appeal where independents would be more local.

That being said, I think there'll be a few surprises come the day of the count because nobody knows what way it'll fall with it being the first time around.

Cards on the table for those who didn't already know, Joe Kelly is my father. He's running as an independent candidate in the Tramore Waterford City West electoral area.

I think it's going to be very tough but we're doing our best and the response at the doors has been good. Big area to cover though and I think the combined councils lends itself to parties as they can have broader appeal where independents would be more local.

That being said, I think there'll be a few surprises come the day of the count because nobody knows what way it'll fall with it being the first time around.

One of his former colleagues was canvassing the wrong area recently. Told the constituent his 'election bosses' told him he was in the right area.

Easy mistake to make, but shouldn't really happen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

@Sully

Cheers for that. Unable to quote because of links and i'm a new poster :(

Sully wrote: »
    One of his former colleagues was canvassing the wrong area recently. Told the constituent his 'election bosses' told him he was in the right area.

Easy mistake to make, but shouldn't really happen tbh.

Yeah I'd normally think the same but with the changes to electoral boundaries it's more understandable. Still shouldn't happen though. Wasting volunteers' time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd normally think the same but with the changes to electoral boundaries it's more understandable. Still shouldn't happen though. Wasting volunteers' time.

It was the candidate himself not a volunteer!

Hows he getting on on the canvas? He ll have my no1 or 2..

It was the candidate himself not a volunteer!

Yeah but I'm sure he had volunteers with him. Fair enough if you waste your own time.
    Hows he getting on on the canvas? He ll have my no1 or 2..

Thanks, I'll tell him.

Going well. A good crowd of friends and family willing to help out. Covering a decent amount of ground. Should manage to hit almost everywhere, I'd say. People seem receptive to the issues he cares about etc. Like I said, it's tough as an independent candidate doing it all yourself but fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NZ Blaa

How much of Davy Walshs vote do you think is workers party vote? Surely most is personal vote?

NZ Blaa wrote: »
    How much of Davy Walshs vote do you think is workers party vote? Surely most is personal vote?

Yeah I completely agree with you on that so I'm just wondering how he gets a big vote in Tramore. His personal vote is mostly Ferrybank and has built up in other areas of the town over the years but I can't imagine he has a big personal vote out in Tramore so my point was he also doesn't have a party vote to rely on out there.

For instance, Hillary Quinlan has a very big personal/Fine Gael vote in town. He might not have that personal vote in Tramore but he'll still have a party vote.

Davy's combined personal/party vote in town has been enough to get him elected but not by a huge margin on the last two occasions. Add Tramore into that mix and I think he could end up being one of the people who gets squeezed out. Complete matter of opinion of course. As I keep saying, it's anybody's guess how this all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Davy Walsh will be in big trouble here. Very few areas in Tramore that would be sympathetic to the WP.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Davy Walsh will be in big trouble here. Very few areas in Tramore that would be sympathetic to the WP.

That's my thinking alright.

John is backing some decent candidates, I think.

That Neil White guy's posters and leaflets are very good and he's pretty much the only alternative candidate in that area aside from Sinn Féin. I think he'll do well.

Blaise Hannigan is apparently well got in Tramore so he'll be hoping to poll well enough to get elected.

Sean Reinhardt has been on the council since John's election and I think he has a good reputation.

I don't know anything about the guy running in the county but I think all will be in with a shout. A huge advantage to John when it comes to the next general election campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

That's my thinking alright.

John is backing some decent candidates, I think.

That Neil White guy's posters and leaflets are very good and he's pretty much the only alternative candidate in that area aside from Sinn Féin. I think he'll do well.

Blaise Hannigan is apparently well got in Tramore so he'll be hoping to poll well enough to get elected.

Sean Reinhardt has been on the council since John's election and I think he has a good reputation.

I don't know anything about the guy running in the county but I think all will be in with a shout. A huge advantage to John when it comes to the next general election campaign.

Sean Walsh (Ind) former 3 time Kilkenny councillor with lots of experience, topped poll in south KK last time he ran. Very involved with Halligan's work in the county. Highly active in campaign against property and water tax (also in the 80s) Very popular man in the area, should do very well.

nice_very wrote: »
    Sean Walsh (Ind) former 3 time Kilkenny councillor with lots of experience, topped poll in south KK last time he ran. Very involved with Halligan's work in the county. Highly active in campaign against property and water tax (also in the 80s) Very popular man in the area, should do very well.

Right, has he moved or something? Hard to imagine why you'd change from an area where you topped the poll last time out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Sean Walsh heavily involved in the workers party over the years. Left when john split. Sean Rheinhardt very decent fella had dealings with him before and have to say he's a top man. John hearne a definite cert to get in and wouldn't rule out Breda Brennan for a second sf seat. Only female in that ward. Will certainly pick up sf votes and her own personal vote from her community work. Neil White would certainly be an addition to the council in my view. Small businessman intelligent and young. Would accept him over any of the plebs that have made careers out of the council. Think t cunningham Jack Walsh or d Daniels for example. Bring nothing to the table. Pat Fitzgerald going to get in with ease from what I'm hearing. Jack Walsh in serious trouble and no way 3 fg so who loses out. Wouldn't be surprised if only one. On seperate note I hear john halligan has lost a lot of his campaign team from last election. All not rosy at all. Director of elections gone and all.

• Advertisement

So interesting you said it three times! :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

From a point of observation, having looked at different local election candidates facebook pages be those in different parties and Independents, a good lot of them always say great response at the doors canvassing etc, now surely as different candidates have different viewpoints/policies etc they surely all can,t be getting a good response everywhere they go and canvass, which makes me wonder if a lot of people just tell canvassers at the door what they want to hear ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sean Walsh heavily involved in the workers party over the years. Left when john split. Sean Rheinhardt very decent fella had dealings with him before and have to say he's a top man. John hearne a definite cert to get in and wouldn't rule out Breda Brennan for a second sf seat. Only female in that ward. Will certainly pick up sf votes and her own personal vote from her community work. Neil White would certainly be an addition to the council in my view. Small businessman intelligent and young. Would accept him over any of the plebs that have made careers out of the council. Think t cunningham Jack Walsh or d Daniels for example. Bring nothing to the table. Pat Fitzgerald going to get in with ease from what I'm hearing. Jack Walsh in serious trouble and no way 3 fg so who loses out. Wouldn't be surprised if only one. On seperate note I hear john halligan has lost a lot of his campaign team from last election. All not rosy at all. Director of elections gone and all.

Amazing how the rose tinted glasses become a permanent fixture when people are full time involved in a campaign and the party rhetoric becomes fact.
    Reality tends to be a bitch.
    I would not even try to call this one as we will have an avalanche of votes to the plethora of independents , all of whom can't get elected but no one can call where these votes will go then.
    Add the new boundaries into the mix and sitting councillors way out of their comfort zones, it would be foolish to be talking of dead certs in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Jesus, Sinn Fein are really spinning the decks these last few days! To think that people buy into the bull****, from all political parties but in particular Sinn Fein.

Firstly, it's been widely pointed out well before Sinn Fein became popular (which itself wasn't a surprise, the only surprise was how long it took) that their policy down south completely contradicts their policies up North.

Their whole attitude to how governing is done (down with the EU being anti Europe and down with the IMF dictating our Independence while under the Westminster thumb in the North), the austerity measures being implemented in the North while pretending to be anti austerity down south, the screams of murder about a water and property tax which they implement in the North at a much greater cost than implemented here. It's a party that's popularity and policies are completely at odds with what they do in government up North. It's lies, complete bull**** and they have the cheek to accuse the other parties of doing it when they are champions at it!

Secondly, this current fiasco with Gerry Adams! My lord, just move him aside. Whenever a TD or Minister so much as puts a toe out of line there down on him/her like a ton of bricks. Yet, Gerry who is constantly accused of being in the IRA and being accused of murders of people in the past is the most serious of crimes. It's a major stumbling block for the party.

Finally, this latest in a string of accusations that never go away saw him make contact with the PSNI and offer to meet up following a number of prior arrests in the case by the PSNI. Nothing to do with politics, as such, it was his idea. But when they do make a move, the party makes it out like both governments are conspiring against him and the party. They lied initially, denying he was arrested. Then under pressure, they admit he was but spin it saying it was political interference forgetting Gerry sought this very meeting which would have seen him cautioned anyway, to allow for a potential charge be brought or evidence used. They then rambled on saying he shouldn't have been arrested prior to an election! When the saga continued, they threatened to inflict serious damage on the peace process by demanding he not be charged or they will re consider their support for the policing up North. They can't have it both ways in policing and that's direct political interference.

So, enough of the spin. I'm fed up of spin and bull from all parties. We have an election which should be fought on decent candidates, and decent propositions. Democracy is important as is law & order. So lets get back to business and reform politics, cutting out this absolute nonsense we keep hearing.

Spin?????? I am not a member nor have ever been a member of SINN FEIN. You say you are sick of spin yet you chose to give a simplistic account of your view of what happened . You spout on about democracy while castigating the only 32 county party on this island. You also infer that Gerry Adams has been accused of murders (murders?) in the past ,whose murder(s)?. The constant attacks on Adams have become more sickeningly hypocritical and politically motivated by the day.
    Your spin and bull is breathtaking and in my view insidious considering your position on this site .

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Amazing how the rose tinted glasses become a permanent fixture when people are full time involved in a campaign and the party rhetoric becomes fact.
    Reality tends to be a bitch.
    I would not even try to call this one as we will have an avalanche of votes to the plethora of independents , all of whom can't get elected but no one can call where these votes will go then.
    Add the new boundaries into the mix and sitting councillors way out of their comfort zones, it would be foolish to be talking of dead certs in the extreme.

I agree it's so tough to call. The count Centre will be exciting!

With the independents, I think there will be a huge scattering of high preference and lots of continuing preferences going to the other independents, leaving party candidates off the card altogether. It's then a case of who can hold out the longest to get the other independents' transfers.

I will vote independent and only independent. It's a pity this country has no party in the middle ground I.e. a moderate party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Gardner

don't think SF have the vote management system in place to get the second seat. as for halligan DOE. from what i hear its the old SF rumors and fear mongering they always send out before elections.

love to see neil white get in. much better than mulligan as an independent choice for voters. Eddie will go running back to FF i bet ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue Dreamer

Hmmm dunno bout that. I know of two ex old guard workers party that have left him and are canvassing now for an unnamed info plus Jim Sullivan his right hand man definitely gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

Heard a rumour Mr.Halligan was using the governments money to send people literature about Sean Reinhardt, Anyone else hear something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just a response to 7upfree who was asking a question about the planned savings targeted by the merging of the councils on the local election thread.

There is a reduction in the number of councillers from 38 to 32. Along with that, the town councils in Lismore, Tramore and Dungarvan will be abolished.

While the meetings will rotate between Waterford and Dungarvan, there will be 67 job losses overall. A combination of those job losses and the reduction of elected representatives is hoped to save €4.35 million per year.

It's poor enough that candidates couldn't answer that question for you, it was always going to come up on the doorsteps.

As an interesting aside, the Cork Chamber of Commerce has called for a merging of the Cork City and County Councils. They point out that the efficiencies gained in Waterford and Limerick have resulted in a reduction in commercial rates.

Advertisement