Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Seamus Ryan is gone then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

With the new constituencies it is a bit more difficult to see the effects of the backlash against the government. The county as a whole seems to reflect the national trend. However I think if you were to make comparisons to the previous electoral areas you will see a clear East/West or City/County divide.
    The swing to Sinn Fein is higher in the city whereas in the county they have remained moreso in the hands of the traditional FF and FG tweedledum/dee parties. The government parties are in big trouble in Waterford but especially in the city.

AdMMM wrote: »
    No labour in the city. Wow

Indeed

With the new constituencies it is a bit more difficult to see the effects of the backlash against the government. The county as a whole seems to reflect the national trend. However I think if you were to make comparisons to the previous electoral areas you will see a clear East/West or City/County divide.
    The swing to Sinn Fein is higher in the city whereas in the county they have remained moreso in the hands of the traditional FF and FG tweedledum/dee parties. The government parties are in big trouble in Waterford but especially in the city.

To see someone as long serving as Tom Cunningham in such danger is indeed worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

As someone who didn't vote for any party candidate this time, I can speculate that the merger was a factor in the wipeout of government candidates. I made it clear to the very few govt cllrs that bothered to knock on my door that the merger was one of my main reasons that I wouldn't be giving them any kind of vote. I'll shed no tears that we've less govt party cllrs.

• Advertisement

Tom Cunningham has lost his seat after 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hilary Quinlan gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Water boarded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

A clear message from the people of Waterford that FG/Lab have done nothing for us as we were actively pushed behind the 4 other cities. It'll be a long road uphill for any govt party candidate in Waterford if the death by a thousand cuts approach to our city's 'prosperity' continues.

It gives me no pleasure to see cllrs lose their seats as it must be a tough day for them and their families but when you put party loyalty that high on the priorities list as some did, and the party has your city very low on its list, something's gotta give.

Its a very interesting looking council. I wish them all the best of luck.

• Advertisement

Jim Darcy out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Hilary Quinlan gone as well.

Did he not get the last seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Did he not get the last seat?

No that went to Eamonn Quinlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No that went to Eamonn Quinlan.
    Jaysus you know it must be bad when you lose a seat to someone who lives and works in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Jaysus you know it must be bad when you lose a seat to someone who lives and works in Dublin!

What? who? where?

Eamon Quinlan lives and works in Dublin. Doubt he had that in his election literature... and doubt he'll be giving up that job now that he's been elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I hate the way politics works in this country but with three Govt TDs looking at the likes of Tom Cunningham, Jim Darcy and Seamus Ryan getting a kicking i nthe local elections we can look forward to some serious goodies before the general election. Not half before time either.

(and of course it will be too late to save their seats. One day I look forward to having a politician who can at least see the medium term view let alone the long term one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Ciara Conway is part of a push against Gilmore's leadership of Labour, in a meeting taking place this afternoon.

She's probably trying to dissociate herself with the party leadership in anticipation of being under severe pressure to retain her seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Story here

No doubt Ciara very worried about her seat given Labour's abysmal performance in Waterford in the local elections.

Here she is in happier times with the Tánaiste all smiles at the closure of TalkTalk and the loss of 550+ plus jobs from the city

m4kxn.jpg

She won't even get a chance, he's going to resign long before any vote of no confidence is tabled!

• Advertisement

Seems like Gilmore is going to get the resignation in first though, with a press conference called for 4pm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sounds like she just wants to make a name for herself to get noticed abit, nothing more.

What will be more interesting is whether or not she throws her weight behind any potential successor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Amazing display of empathy there from tubby. Waterfords finest.

What will be more interesting is whether or not she throws her weight behind any potential successor...

I see what you did there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

FFS lads, can ye please judge her on her work and her track record, rather than on her appearance?

For the record, I think she's a dreadful TD, but only because she has been nowhere to be seen on the issues that matter to Waterford, and has supported a government that has ceded control of our hospital to Cork, our VEC to Wexford, abolished our City Council and done nothing to give us a university like those in Limerick or Galway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys, please don't resort to remarks regarding a persons weight etc, Its pretty damn childish and next person to keep doing that sort of thing is getting a warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

He was never going to last the week so she must have thought she could just get some publicity by calling for his resignation. It won't do her any favours down here and she also probably won't have the trust of the next leader.

None of it really matters anyway. She's gone in the next general election without a shadow of a doubt.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    He was never going to last the week so she must have thought she could just get some publicity by calling for his resignation. It won't do her any favours down here and she also probably won't have the trust of the next leader.

None of it really matters anyway. She's gone in the next general election without a shadow of a doubt.

I agree it is just political opportunism on her part which has been said. However I think if the LP wants to survive they have to clean house completely of the leadership with the exception of maybe Joan Burton. The last time they were in government with FF they resigned in the middle of the peace process which was not stable yet and they were making a good contribution to under Dick Spring. I Always thought they were punished for that and not because they went in with FF in the first place which is their narrative.

In this case they will say its because they made difficult decisions and probably have nothing to say about the horrendous parochialism and asset stripping of places like Waterford in favour of their own constituencies. People are not stupid they were prepared for cuts as long as they were transparent and fair. The problem for Ciara Conway is by accepting this narrative she herself is admitting to being a failure to the majority in the constituency.

But the good news is Dungarvan got a cycle track and we got lines painted on the hard shoulder..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

fricatus wrote: »
    FFS lads, can ye please judge her on her work and her track record, rather than on her appearance?

For the record, I think she's a dreadful TD, but only because she has been nowhere to be seen on the issues that matter to Waterford, and has supported a government that has ceded control of our hospital to Cork, our VEC to Wexford, abolished our City Council and done nothing to give us a university like those in Limerick or Galway.

Ok ill just go back to the fact that literally the only time ive ever seen her in my life is when she showed up as we where all made redundant with a smile on her face as if she won some kind of poxy prize.

Hopefully your not turfed out of a job one day and she shows up after the bad news all smiles.

The dumbest mother****er ive ever seen in government. well and truly.

Quicker her and her ****ty labour party gets voted out the better.

Advertisement