Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I've been extremely disappointed in Ms Conway but I do think Labour have take a disproportionate whipping compared to Fine Gael.

Labour did break all there promises but they are the minor party in government; Fine Gael's John Deasy and Paudie Coffey have been fairly useless, especially Deasy but at least one of the will bet back in, in the next election.

John Halligan has been really good.

I think its time for an election, leave the new breed in to show us what they can do. Sinn Fein will definitely be in the new government and better they get in and f**k up now rather than wait until the books balance and they mess it all up again. And if they don't I'm wrong but I won't care if everyone benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There will be an election before the end of the year. Conway will be on the dole queue afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ryanf1 wrote: »
    There will be an election before the end of the year. Conway will be on the dole queue afterwards.

Nah it doesn't suit either party to have an election any sooner than they have to. They'll wait it out for as long as they can and get as much of a recovery that people can feel to limit the damage of the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

You could be right. It isn't so obvious now but Enda is toast as well. Expect a new leader in FG at least. Kenny can't keep avioding the media the way he does. He gets handled by FG like louis walsh handles boy bands (no innuendo intended). But the jig is up. This won't wash anymore. And when Bertie resigned FG where screaming that an election was needed. When FF fell disasterously in the polls FG were screaming that they haven't got a mandate. The arse is going to fall out of the government big time I predict. As for SF they can't be any worse than FF and their enablers in FG/Labour who faciliitated the bust. So the scare tactics won't wear either. As for FF they will lead the next government thanks to FG/ Labour. If SF have any sense they will avoid them like the plague which is what Labour should have done with FG.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You could be right. It isn't so obvious now but Enda is toast as well. Expect a new leader in FG at least. Kenny can't keep avioding the media the way he does. He gets handled by FG like louis walsh handles boy bands (no innuendo intended). But the jig is up. This won't wash anymore. And when Bertie resigned FG where screaming that an election was needed. When FF fell disasterously in the polls FG were screaming that they haven't got a mandate. The arse is going to fall out of the government big time I predict. As for SF they can't be any worse than FF and their enablers in FG/Labour who faciliitated the bust. So the scare tactics won't wear either. As for FF they will lead the next government thanks to FG/ Labour. If SF have any sense they will avoid them like the plague which is what Labour should have done with FG.

Enda's position is rock solid. It's not the type of party to have a knee-jerk reaction and there isn't even whimpering about a leadership challenge. The heat has been on Gilmore for ages. Two years left, austerity is 90% over. Labour made a mistake today, Gilmore isn't the reason why they got a hammering in the election. They needed a change of attitude and strategy, as do the whole government.

A reshuffle is needed, the country is by far much better than it was after Fianna Fail bankrupted the country. It's time work was done so that the communities get something back for the pain they have went through. Communication needs to be improved and our local TDs need to actually show people what they are doing in government, not just on social media or on the assumption people know.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Enda's position is rock solid. It's not the type of party to have a knee-jerk reaction and there isn't even whimpering about a leadership challenge. The heat has been on Gilmore for ages. Two years left, austerity is 90% over. Labour made a mistake today, Gilmore isn't the reason why they got a hammering in the election. They needed a change of attitude and strategy, as do the whole government.

A reshuffle is needed, the country is by far much better than it was after Fianna Fail bankrupted the country. It's time work was done so that the communities get something back for the pain they have went through. Communication needs to be improved and our local TDs need to actually show people what they are doing in government, not just on social media or on the assumption people know.

Well its obvious the damage limitation memo finally arrived from Bluebot central. But FG propaganda aside FG/Labour are as responsible for the reckless policies that FF implemented as FF are. What FG and Labour fail to realize is that there is a media record of their electoral promises in 2011 but also 2007 where they promised to cut taxes and increase spending even more than FF. This is a fact and the smoking gun is there for all to see.

FG and Labour supported Irelands entry into the Euro and consequential inflow of Hot money into the country that caused the banking crisis. They campaigned for this in every referendum that paved the way for the collapse of the economy. So the idea that FG had no hand in the economic collapse is a monumental lie. They have been doing the troika;s bidding since they came to power by implementing austerity so no they didn't balance the books. And the troika is still calling the shots they just closed their offices in Dublin which is a cosmetic exercise. Any autonomy that FG/Labour had in government and they behaved exactly like FF. Hence the council offices being spread all over the county following the amalgamation. Hence the VEC going to Wexford and FAS/Solas headquarters. Hence hospital services being moved to KK. Hence primary care facilities going to constituencies of cabinet ministers. Hence millions of Euros being wasted on Irish Water despite Siemens offering to do the Job for free (And Dennis O'Brien receiving an associated contract).Hence Phil Hogan closing down the planning enquiries and abandoning completely the spatial strategy. And lets not mention Alan Shatter:D

Unemployment is rising again. There is another austerity budget on the way. Eamon Gilmore was rock solid yesterday:D

If you don't like FG sit back and enjoy the show.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well its obvious the damage limitation memo finally arrived from Bluebot central. But FG propaganda aside FG/Labour are as responsible for the reckless policies that FF implemented as FF are. What FG and Labour fail to realize is that there is a media record of their electoral promises in 2011 but also 2007 where they promised to cut taxes and increase spending even more than FF. This is a fact and the smoking gun is there for all to see.

FG and Labour supported Irelands entry into the Euro and consequential inflow of Hot money into the country that caused the banking crisis. They campaigned for this in every referendum that paved the way for the collapse of the economy. So the idea that FG had no hand in the economic collapse is a monumental lie. They have been doing the troika;s bidding since they came to power by implementing austerity so no they didn't balance the books. And the troika is still calling the shots they just closed their offices in Dublin which is a cosmetic exercise. Any autonomy that FG/Labour had in government and they behaved exactly like FF. Hence the council offices being spread all over the county following the amalgamation. Hence the VEC going to Wexford and FAS/Solas headquarters. Hence hospital services being moved to KK. Hence primary care facilities going to constituencies of cabinet ministers. Hence millions of Euros being wasted on Irish Water despite Siemens offering to do the Job for free (And Dennis O'Brien receiving an associated contract).Hence Phil Hogan closing down the planning enquiries and abandoning completely the spatial strategy. And lets not mention Alan Shatter:D

Unemployment is rising again. There is another austerity budget on the way. Eamon Gilmore was rock solid yesterday:D

If you don't like FG sit back and enjoy the show.

I've held this opinion from the beginning and publicly stated it, nothing new in what I say. Personally, the general feel was that the efforts to address our ongoing financial crisis should not have been jammed into two years but spread out. The vast majority in this country are happy in Europe and there isn't any talk about a referendum on Europe. The issues with how Fianna Fail mismanaged our financial affairs is a separate discussion.

The public were well aware that austerity budges and water charges would be implemented under the Fine Gael Manifesto. The party stated very clearly the EU/IMF agreement set out by Fianna Fail would continue. Fine Gael didn't run on the same platform as Labour did with publishing a load of promises they reneged upon later while in government. That's why they were hit harder and that's why opinion polls and pressure has been heaped on the party more than Fine Gael. Across Europe, people are voting anti-austerity, left leaning policies and that's to be expected. It's not an issue confined to Ireland.

Re: Siemens. Come on now, don't be misleading people. Siemens were not giving it for free. Why would they be at loss? Siemens proposed that they would pay for the installation of meters but make it back over time. Someone will end up paying for the meters installation. Didn't Michael O'Leary offer to build Terminal 2 at Dublin airport but was refused by the Fianna Fail government? Don't hear that trotted out.

Gilmore was never safe. His leadership was constantly under scrutiny. The pressure was considerably increased after the dismal election results and Labours tradition is to always sack their leader when the going gets tough.

I've held this opinion from the beginning and publicly stated it, nothing new in what I say. Personally, the general feel was that the efforts to address our ongoing financial crisis should not have been jammed into two years but spread out. The vast majority in this country are happy in Europe and there isn't any talk about a referendum on Europe. The issues with how Fianna Fail mismanaged our financial affairs is a separate discussion..

Come now Sully you're not fooling anyone and you never did. You were they one telling us the Paudie "the waste of space" Coffey had a good chance of getting a cabinet position way back in 2009. You're either a liar or are gullible. And since you've been using the forum as your own personal party propaganda outlet since you became a mod then I doubt it is the latter. I never mentioned a referendum on Europe. I said that FG pursued Irelands entry into the Euro just as Zealously as FF which is fact. What anyone in FG says about people being happy is a sick joke. Maybe all those people who got letters asking them if there children "still have down syndrome" are happy too.

The public were well aware that austerity budges and water charges would be implemented under the Fine Gael Manifesto. The party stated very clearly the EU/IMF agreement set out by Fianna Fail would continue. Fine Gael didn't run on the same platform as Labour did with publishing a load of promises they reneged upon later while in government. That's why they were hit harder and that's why opinion polls and pressure has been heaped on the party more than Fine Gael. Across Europe, people are voting anti-austerity, left leaning policies and that's to be expected. It's not an issue confined to Ireland..

FG promised reform and a new way of doing things.Anything the did was mere tinkering. They failed. The same parochialism existes. The same institutional corruption exists and the same arrogance exists. Your making the same excuses FF made before they were wiped out. Which is fitting because they will be the one party soon.

Re: Siemens. Come on now, don't be misleading people. Siemens were not giving it for free. Why would they be at loss? Siemens proposed that they would pay for the installation of meters but make it back over time. Someone will end up paying for the meters installation. Didn't Michael O'Leary offer to build Terminal 2 at Dublin airport but was refused by the Fianna Fail government? Don't hear that trotted out..

Why would you hear that trotted out? FG are in government not Fianna Fail. FF got punished for what they did.As FG will too. Siemens offered to install the meters for free this is a fact and the goverenmemt were not able to explain why they didn't take it up.
    Gilmore was never safe. His leadership was constantly under scrutiny. The pressure was considerably increased after the dismal election results and Labours tradition is to always sack their leader when the going gets tough.

More twaddle from you Sully. Enda already had one heave against him. FG changes leaders like their socks. Dukes, Bruton, Noonan were all pushed or resigned before they were pushed. Enda will follow and if not it will be gas as this head on it stick is contitutionally incapable of debating with anyone. He is a disaster in interviews and debates and this will hang over Fine Gael now like an albatross. The only reason they wont is to prove something but that will only further erode the party. Mark my words FG are damned! And the boards.ie megathread will do nothing to stop it:D

Will respond properly in the morning but allegations like that are not appropriate here, and are quite frankly incorrect.
    I dont believe he ever hid that he was an FG supporter, or did I for that matter, certainly not intentionally anyway.

Will respond properly in the morning but allegations like that are not appropriate here, and are quite frankly incorrect.
    I dont believe he ever hid that he was an FG supporter, or did I for that matter, certainly not intentionally anyway.

I don't believe he did either. That is why I never accused hime of hiding the fact he was a FG supporter.

• Advertisement

Come now Sully you're not fooling anyone and you never did. You were they one telling us the Paudie "the waste of space" Coffey had a good chance of getting a cabinet position way back in 2009. You're either a liar or are gullible. And since you've been using the forum as your own personal party propaganda outlet since you became a mod then I doubt it is the latter. I never mentioned a referendum on Europe. I said that FG pursued Irelands entry into the Euro just as Zealously as FF which is fact. What anyone in FG says about people being happy is a sick joke. Maybe all those people who got letters asking them if there children "still have down syndrome" are happy too.

Out of all our local TDs, he has by far the highest chance of a Ministerial position. I'm not really sure what my work on Boards has to do with my political opinions but it appears to be something you and a small group of others like to trot out as a pathetic discussion attempt.

You appear to be forgetting that Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, dispite the high austerity we have been facing over the years, are still the largest parties in local council and won one of the By-Elections in these mid term elections. Fianna Fail are climbing back. The electorate sent a strong message on Friday to the government, but largely appear in support of the two parties associated with austerity. It's up to the government now to respond and give back to the people who gave so much for our recovery.

The government and local councilors are appalled as to the medical card fiasco and as already stated - it will be resolved.

FG promised reform and a new way of doing things.Anything the did was mere tinkering. They failed. The same parochialism existes. The same institutional corruption exists and the same arrogance exists. Your making the same excuses FF made before they were wiped out. Which is fitting because they will be the one party soon.

You wont see many disagreeing with the lack of progress on political reform and transparency. I'm on record as to agreeing and Ministers have said likewise.

Why would you hear that trotted out? FG are in government not Fianna Fail. FF got punished for what they did.As FG will too. Siemens offered to install the meters for free this is a fact and the goverenmemt were not able to explain why they didn't take it up.

No free lunches. This was not going to be free. The tax payers would have paid back the loan eitherway, through other taxation/cuts or though increasef water charges.

More twaddle from you Sully. Enda already had one heave against him. FG changes leaders like their socks. Dukes, Bruton, Noonan were all pushed or resigned before they were pushed. Enda will follow and if not it will be gas as this head on it stick is contitutionally incapable of debating with anyone. He is a disaster in interviews and debates and this will hang over Fine Gael now like an albatross. The only reason they wont is to prove something but that will only further erode the party. Mark my words FG are damned! And the boards.ie megathread will do nothing to stop it:D

3 years in and Enda hasn't had even a hint of a heave or dissatisfaction with his performance. Gilmore had. We will see what happens in the next couple of years, but as it stands, Enda is rock solid and his position isn't under any threat as a result of these election results.

The government has a mandate and a message from the people. It's been signalled well before the elections by Noonan that the people need to see the recovery on the ground and this will start in the next budget now that 90% of the austerity program has been complete.

Out of all our local TDs, he has by far the highest chance of a Ministerial position. I'm not really sure what my work on Boards has to do with my political opinions but it appears to be something you and a small group of others like to trot out as a pathetic discussion attempt.

Said like a true FG'r. It is called conflict of interest so I am not surprised a FG'r doesn't get it. But back to your distortions. Your position was Paudie Coffey had a good chance of a cabinet position. You had absolutely nothing to base this on and you still don't. His chance relative to other TD's are not the same things. Not to mention the fact that this assertion is completely untrue also.

You appear to be forgetting that Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, dispite the high austerity we have been facing over the years, are still the largest parties in local council and won one of the By-Elections in these mid term elections. Fianna Fail are climbing back. The electorate sent a strong message on Friday to the government, but largely appear in support of the two parties associated with austerity. It's up to the government now to respond and give back to the people who gave so much for our recovery.

Is that a giveaway budget I hear a coming:D Yes FF are on the ascendency again thanks to FG. But why do you think this is some type of virtue? FF and FG have been utterly corrosive to Irish society. The sooner they merge the better for us all.

The government and local councilors are appalled as to the medical card fiasco and as already stated - it will be resolved.

I am experiencing Deja Vu here I've heard this so many times

You wont see many disagreeing with the lack of progress on political reform and transparency. I'm on record as to agreeing and Ministers have said likewise.

And yet the have doe FA. Walk the walk FFS

No free lunches. This was not going to be free. The tax payers would have paid back the loan eitherway, through other taxation/cuts or though increasef water charges.

Not imediately and it would still have been a cheaper deal than what was paid with the PRF money. What is this you said about spreading austerity?

3 years in and Enda hasn't had even a hint of a heave or dissatisfaction with his performance. Gilmore had. We will see what happens in the next couple of years, but as it stands, Enda is rock solid and his position isn't under any threat as a result of these election results.

That's because Enda doen't perform. He is handled. And its all over now. Flannery is gone. Shatter is gone. Hogan will be gone and Reilly will also have to go else there will be no credibility at all. That thundering silence is the sound of Endda Kenny's friends

The government has a mandate and a message from the people. It's been signalled well before the elections by Noonan that the people need to see the recovery on the ground and this will start in the next budget now that 90% of the austerity program has been complete.

Ha Ha Ha. It's hilarious to hear FG saying the same things FF were saying in 2011. Your dear leader was on six one at the time FG went ahead of them in the polls.

Said like a true FG'r. It is called conflict of interest so I am not surprised a FG'r doesn't get it. But back to your distortions. Your position was Paudie Coffey had a good chance of a cabinet position. You had absolutely nothing to base this on and you still don't. His chance relative to other TD's are not the same things. Not to mention the fact that this assertion is completely untrue also.

Is that a giveaway budget I hear a coming:D Yes FF are on the ascendency again thanks to FG. But why do you think this is some type of virtue? FF and FG have been utterly corrosive to Irish society. The sooner they merge the better for us all.

I am experiencing Deja Vu here I've heard this so many times

And yet the have doe FA. Walk the walk FFS

Not imediately and it would still have been a cheaper deal than what was paid with the PRF money. What is this you said about spreading austerity?

That's because Enda doen't perform. He is handled. And its all over now. Flannery is gone. Shatter is gone. Hogan will be gone and Reilly will also have to go else there will be no credibility at all. That thundering silence is the sound of Endda Kenny's friends

Ha Ha Ha. It's hilarious to hear FG saying the same things FF were saying in 2011. Your dear leader was on six one at the time FG went ahead of them in the polls.

The people will have their say in the General Election.

The people will have their say in the General Election.

Indeed they will. The locals and Euros were jus a taste of what's to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Definitely will not happen.

Edit: Might happen if Burton gets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Conway said she'd be interested in the deputy leader position of Labour... along with every single one of their TDs it would seem. Is it a done deal that Joan Burton is going to be the next leader then?

People said she was snubbed by Gilmore when both Howlin and Quinn got more politically valuable portfolios and there's definitely the appetite for getting more women into politics, so it could work that way. HOWEVER, I know it's harsh of me, but I can't stand the thought of having to put up with her voice on Leaders Questions for the next two years!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Conway said she'd be interested in the deputy leader position of Labour... along with every single one of their TDs it would seem. Is it a done deal that Joan Burton is going to be the next leader then?

People said she was snubbed by Gilmore when both Howlin and Quinn got more politically valuable portfolios and there's definitely the appetite for getting more women into politics, so it could work that way. HOWEVER, I know it's harsh of me, but I can't stand the thought of having to put up with her voice on Leaders Questions for the next two years!

There is a worry that if Burton gets the gig, we'll have an election pretty quickly as she is unlikely to be very co-operative around agreeing budgets.

While she's generally popular with the angry membership on the ground, Labour know that they can't afford to have an election within the next two years, the longer the better for them.

As a result, Brendan Howlin might get the nod. He's very well respected both inside and outside political circles.

I think water charges will be too much for backbenchers to swallow so I expect an election early in 2015. I don't want one,but that's what I think will happen.
    I also think Burton is likely to get the leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think water charges will be too much for backbenchers to swallow so I expect an election early in 2015. I don't want one,but that's what I think will happen.
    I also think Burton is likely to get the leadership.
    It's too late to back out now.

At 7%, Labour TDs have to strap themselves in, close their eyes, and hope they come out the other side polling a bit better. They're hoping that by time the next election comes around, the austerity budgets will be over and they can boast of an economic recovery with tax cuts on the table.

[edit]That being said, they'll definitely lose more TDs between now and the next election being called in politically calculated resignations.[/edit]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Indeed they will. The locals and Euros were jus a taste of what's to come

Based on how FF performed, I'm assuming you'd be happy if FF got back into power as part of a coalition with FG?

After all, they people will have spoken ;)

Water charges won't break the camels back, no more then the property tax did.

Water charges are in regardless of who gets into power at this stage, its not like the water rates that were scrapped in the early 90's where there was no meter or anything like that.

if its scrapped by any party they'll be flushing millions down the drain with nothing to show for it other then hundreds of thousands of water meters installed around the country.

Such waste would make any party no better then the one's they complain about....when you think about it :)

Mark my words, if come the next general election in a few years time SF even won and got into gov on their own they still won't scrap the water charges and shut down Irish Water. No party against the charges will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Its sad to say that no matter what way this dust settles, I don't see any personalities who will be in power that will feel the need to help lift Waterford out of its trouble.

This place has so much potential. I wish we'd get a break.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Based on how FF performed, I'm assuming you'd be happy if FF got back into power as part of a coalition with FG?

After all, they people will have spoken ;)

Only on the basis that these two corrupt entities will be together at last. After all the only reason someone like Big Fill is in FG is because his father and grandfather probably were in it

Water charges won't break the camels back, no more then the property tax d
    did

So your all right Jack! But don't speak for anyone else. Judging buy recent events your opininion is of a tiny minority.Like I said people are realists they know tough decisions are needed but they are sick of the parochialism and gombeenism not to mention the sheer ineptitude that this government jhas managed to surpass FF in.

Water charges are in regardless of who gets into power at this stage, its not like the water rates that were scrapped in the early 90's where there was no meter or anything like that.

if its scrapped by any party they'll be flushing millions down the drain with nothing to show for it other then hundreds of thousands of water meters installed around the country.

Such waste would make any party no better then the one's they complain about....when you think about it :)

Mark my words, if come the next general election in a few years time SF even won and got into gov on their own they still won't scrap the water charges and shut down Irish Water. No party against the charges will.

Not true. This is FG's e-voting. Any money wasted on top of the hundreds of millions already will be at their door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

When do the election poster have to come down? i can still see a lot of them on poles around the town especially jason murphy ones they are on nearly every pole from browns road to barracks street!!

When do the election poster have to come down? i can still see a lot of them on poles around the town especially jason murphy ones they are on nearly every pole from browns road to barracks street!!

Candidates must remove all posters within 7 days of the poll. To be fair, a lot of candidates have removed them or started removing them. The European candidates are the slowest moving so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only on the basis that these two corrupt entities will be together at last. After all the only reason someone like Big Fill is in FG is because his father and grandfather probably were in it

So the people will have voted, but you still won't be happy with the outcome because its not the outcome you wanted?

So you just want the people to vote the way you want them to vote then?

Assuming people vote for FF/FG/Labour because their parent/grandparent has previously voted for them is foolish.

Its foolish to apply a "catch all" to voters for any political party. clearly some "may" vote for FG/FF etc because their parent did the same as some "may" vote for SF because they think voting for SF is a vote for hating english people.

I've met both types of voters, but I wouldn't in a million years apply such a viewpoint to a majority of them.

Don't get me wrong, so called "parish pump politics" does exist, but it exists for every single party. Whole familys also being heavily involved in politics also exists for all partys.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

So the people will have voted, but you still won't be happy with the outcome because its not the outcome you wanted?

So you just want the people to vote the way you want them to vote then?

Assuming people vote for FF/FG/Labour because their parent/grandparent has previously voted for them is foolish.

Its foolish to apply a "catch all" to voters for any political party. clearly some "may" vote for FG/FF etc because their parent did the same as some "may" vote for SF because they think voting for SF is a vote for hating english people.

I've met both types of voters, but I wouldn't in a million years apply such a viewpoint to a majority of them.

Don't get me wrong, so called "parish pump politics" does exist, but it exists for every single party. Whole familys also being heavily involved in politics also exists for all partys.

What a small minded thing to say, That is actually an insult to all the people who voted last week here and across the country. People voted for SF because the country is in a complete and utter mess from the wrong doings of FF then the FG and Lab parties came into coalition and made things surprisingly 10 times worse. Sinn Fein had 6 out of 8 candidates elected locally last week , they had 4 MEP's elected throughout the 32 counties so please don't give me that! Sinn Fein put forward a viable budget but this was snubbed from FG + Lab...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

ForzaKid wrote: »
    What a small minded thing to say, That is actually an insult to all the people who voted last week here and across the country. People voted for SF because the country is in a complete and utter mess from the wrong doings of FF then the FG and Lab parties came into coalition and made things surprisingly 10 times worse. Sinn Fein had 6 out of 8 candidates elected locally last week , they had 4 MEP's elected throughout the 32 counties so please don't give me that! Sinn Fein put forward a viable budget but this was snubbed from FG + Lab...

they need to show us some of their finance policies because talk of extra taxes on high earners wont plug the gap, especially when you take into account SF's talk on paying everyone and cuts to no one. Add into that various other things read about their finance plans such as wealth tax (1% on everything you own, house, savings, assets) 40-50% inheritance tax (basically forcing those to sell their recently passed parents house), they dont sound too attractive, fine at local level but seems like away with the fairies on national level.

Max Powers wrote: »
    they need to show us some of their finance policies because talk of extra taxes on high earners wont plug the gap, especially when you take into account SF's talk on paying everyone and cuts to no one. Add into that various other things read about their finance plans such as wealth tax (1% on everything you own, house, savings, assets) 40-50% inheritance tax (basically forcing those to sell their recently passed parents house), they dont sound too attractive, fine at local level but seems like away with the fairies on national level.

Yeah, and isn't this all jumping the gun a bit as well considering they only got 15% of the vote? These elections were a golden opportunity to them, it'll probably never be as easy again.

It's obvious that you are jumping the gun on what he said. There are many reasons why people voted Sinn Fein. The same can be said for the government parties. The 'viable budget' wasn't even costed by the Department of Finance and things are nowhere near '10 times worse'. The situation FG/Lab had was a bankrupt country, no money from international markets available, banks in serious trouble, high unemployment etc. We no longer have those issues on the scale they were at before. The question is how they went about it, how hard people ended up being hit, the lack of seeing the recover on the ground and so on. Across Europe the theme was the same - parties implementing austerity were hit hard.

Now we both have a bias here, I admit, with our connections to each party, so we probably will just agree to disagree but you jumped the gun here and misunderstood the point being made.

I heard from polling staff that there was a considerable amount of people sharing booths - with one telling the other exactly how to vote, often out loud.

• Advertisement

What a small minded thing to say, That is actually an insult to all the people who voted last week here and across the country.

I agree, its seriously small minded....if you read my post properly you'd note i didn't say it.
    It was instead a SF supporter I met that said it.
    :rolleyes:
    People voted for SF because the country is in a complete and utter mess from the wrong doings of FF then the FG and Lab parties came into coalition and made things surprisingly 10 times worse.

10 times worse? Really...thats interesting....don't you think you're over exaggerating things abit?

So you think the country is 10 times worse then when FF/Green's were in power last?
    Got any data to back this up?

Advertisement