Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Again my reference was to early 20th century waterford. The current situation is entirely different and as an almost complete modern independent state we have the freedom now to follow whatever path we want. To suggest that my argument refers to modern day Ireland is ludicrous. Also for you to espouse freedom of speech and opinion while labelling a section of society as 'twats' for their views shows a startling hypocrisy....

i think the very fact that you use terms like those mentioned is practically prehistoric in attitude and opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

what are "west british tendencies"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

what are "west british tendencies"???

Expecting drivers to be ready to pull away when the lights turn green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then no crumbs for Waterford from the deck chair rearrangement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Junior ministers are going to be reshuffled again before the next election. I reckon one of either Conway or Coffey would be in line for something there alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

At least Phil is gone from local government anyway, good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

AdMMM wrote: »
    Junior ministers are going to be reshuffled again before the next election. I reckon one of either Conway or Coffey would be in line for something there alright...

I have no time For Ciara Conway. Im not sure that Coffey will get something this time round, hope I'm wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

We're all saved then..........:rolleyes:

Did John Deasy have some success in last few days in Dail by getting in writing that more of the money they are taking from the pension fund to be spent in regions that need it most. sounds good that he has got it put in in writing. hopefully it plays out that way too, large portion of it will be going into Childrens hospital (no arguement there suppose) so hopefully good bit invested in SE in things like education. could be significant, could be just talk...

you would hope Coffey does get one alright and to be honest, it would feel and look like a snub for Waterford if junior minister isnt appointed. talk on papers of loads of them being appointed to Dublin areas to stem SF support. i think coffey should prob get one, when you see others (loyal to Enda) who have been parachuted into posts. Do FG think the 2 seats in Waterford are safe? Are they right? could be

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    you would hope Coffey does get one alright and to be honest, it would feel and look like a snub for Waterford if junior minister isnt appointed. talk on papers of loads of them being appointed to Dublin areas to stem SF support. i think coffey should prob get one, when you see others (loyal to Enda) who have been parachuted into posts. Do FG think the 2 seats in Waterford are safe? Are they right? could be

FG don't give a fiddlers about Waterford. After what they've done to the City Council, WRH, etc? If - incredibly - either one of them gets a Junior Ministry then it's too little, too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Good to see the first benefits of the merger being seen in the form of the council requiring a load of €21 Million in order to deal with the €10 million deficit of the County Council.

How on Gods Earth is this good for the city?????

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

O Riain wrote: »
    Good to see the first benefits of the merger being seen in the form of the council requiring a load of €21 Million in order to deal with the €10 million deficit of the County Council.

Before we go any further on this theme, it is important the facts are published here. The fact is the county council has a legacy revenue deficit of aprox 10m & a surplus in their capital budget. However City council has a major deficit in it's capital budget in excess of 12m & a small running revenue deficit! Therefore it is actually the former city council who are in fact in a worse financial position than the county!

Restructuring all finances will allow for a major capital plan to occur which will benefit the whole of Waterford both city & county.

7upfree wrote: »
    FG don't give a fiddlers about Waterford. After what they've done to the City Council, WRH, etc? If - incredibly - either one of them gets a Junior Ministry then it's too little, too late.

After reading phoenix from N&S this morning, it would depress ned flanders. Its disappointing to see no mention of any Waterford names in junior minister talks. have the govt TDs for Waterford achieved anything. Deasys work i mentioned in previous post could possibly be beneficial for suffering regions but the govt can turn around and say 'bypass for New ross, what more do you want'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

After reading phoenix from N&S this morning, it would depress ned flanders. Its disappointing to see no mention of any Waterford names in junior minister talks. have the govt TDs for Waterford achieved anything. Deasys work i mentioned in previous post could possibly be beneficial for suffering regions but the govt can turn around and say 'bypass for New ross, what more do you want'.

Ciara Conway is mentioned and an obvious link at that. Could very well go to Labour considering the mood.

Reports from The Journal seem to indicate that Ciara Conway in certainly in the frame for something. The coalition need to give something to Waterford because the support that Lab/FG got in the 2011 election, simply won't be there next time - especially for Labour.

It's unfortunate that she seems to be the only one being mentioned, because she's the one who I think is least equipped to take advantage of the opportunity!

O Riain wrote: »

Exactly! Surely one of the two centres (Dungarvan) should now be closed with immediate effect?

Reports from The Journal seem to indicate that Ciara Conway in certainly in the frame for something. The coalition need to give something to Waterford because the support that Lab/FG got in the 2011 election, simply won't be there next time - especially for Labour.

It's unfortunate that she seems to be the only one being mentioned, because she's the one who I think is least equipped to take advantage of the opportunity!

actually saw, Paudie coffeys name mentioned for a Junior minister post on journal.ie

actually saw, Paudie coffeys name mentioned for a Junior minister post on journal.ie
    :rolleyes:

The coalition need to give something to Waterford because the support that Lab/FG got in the 2011 election, simply won't be there next time - especially for Labour.

It won't matter WHAT they give. They have absolutely destroyed the place. And the Country with it.

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    It won't matter WHAT they give. They have absolutely destroyed the place. And the Country with it.
    Having any type of Minister can't possibly make the place any worse. Whatever position is given to a Waterford TD, I hope they immediately start to have an influence and intervene wherever possible to benefit the constituency. In an ideal world, a Minister shouldn't favour their own constituency, but you can be damn sure that all the other Ministers' will make sure their backyard is looked after, so we should follow suit!

From an electoral point of view, if Ciara Conway gets nothing, that's effectively Labour giving up on retaining that seat and opting to try salvage another seat elsewhere. It's very smart by FG to choose Coffey as that means they're trying to shore up that second seat. If both Coffey and Conway get something, then it'll be a very interesting battleground for the next election.

[edit]
    Just noticed that Labour haven't given anything to Conway and it looks like Coffey is going to be Junior Environment. He'll have his hands full there thanks to the mess Phil Hogan left... a poisoned chalice if there ever was one.
    [/edit]

Paudie Coffey got Environment with responsibility for housing and planning

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I said this at the last general election and was told, even recently, Coffey was never going to be given any form of Ministerial position. It was said even yesterday it was unlikely. It's now been confirmed.

Paudie Coffey (FG) – MoS at the Department of the Environment with Special Responsibility for Housing, Planning and Coordination of the Construction 2020 Strategy.

I'm more surprised that Ciara Conway didn't get anything. I'd have thought she had a stronger chance than Paudie in some ways since the Local Election results and her own internal election campaign.

Having any type of Minister can't possibly make the place any worse. Whatever position is given to a Waterford TD, I hope they immediately start to have an influence and intervene wherever possible to benefit the constituency. In an ideal world, a Minister shouldn't favour their own constituency, but you can be damn sure that all the other Ministers' will make sure their backyard is looked after, so we should follow suit!

From an electoral point of view, if Ciara Conway gets nothing, that's effectively Labour giving up on retaining that seat and opting to try salvage another seat elsewhere. It's very smart by FG to choose Coffey as that means they're trying to shore up that second seat. If both Coffey and Conway get something, then it'll be a very interesting battleground for the next election.

[edit]
    Just noticed that Labour haven't given anything to Conway and it looks like Coffey is going to be Junior Environment. He'll have his hands full there thanks to the mess Phil Hogan left... a poisoned chalice if there ever was one.
    [/edit]

Christ almighty.

It has to be a real slap in the face for Labour in Waterford. They were wiped off the council and Conway hasn't been promoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »
    I said this at the last general election and was told, even recently, Coffey was never going to be given any form of Ministerial position. It was said even yesterday it was unlikely. It's now been confirmed.

Paudie Coffey (FG) – MoS at the Department of the Environment with Special Responsibility for Housing, Planning and Coordination of the Construction 2020 Strategy.

I'm more surprised that Ciara Conway didn't get anything. I'd have thought she had a stronger chance than Paudie in some ways since the Local Election results and her own internal election campaign.

I'd say FG know her seat is David Cullinanes at the next election!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Didn't she decide not to take a ministry if she was offered one if she got the deputy leadership in order to concentrate on the party? I may be wrong there.

If that's the case surely TD is the wrong job to be in considering under the current parish pump system, a ministry is required in order to really achieve for the consitiuency.

Not wanting to be a minister in order to concentrate on the party leadership if she got the job might have been something worth mentioning to the electorate before we elected her.

Regardless, Paudie Coffey deserves to be congratulated. It's a messy business and although we don't share a view on the merits of this govt, personally I've found him to be decent chap. I hope he uses his 'power' to undo some of the decline our once proud city has been dropped into.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I'd say FG know her seat is David Cullinanes at the next election!
    It would have been Joan who would have decided the make up of Labour's side of the Junior Cabinet. But I do agree that they could very well have passed on the opportunity to give something to Ciara Conway, which then put Paudie Coffey into the frame (Enda probably jumped at the chance to try and lock-in a second seat in the constituency).

People who know me would know that I don't share FG opinions, but this is good news for Waterford and any reprieve he manages to secure for Waterford should be recognised.

It would have been Joan who would have decided the make up of Labour's side of the Junior Cabinet. But I do agree that they could very well have passed on the opportunity to give something to Ciara Conway, which then put Paudie Coffey into the frame (Enda probably jumped at the chance to try and lock-in a second seat in the constituency).

People who know me would know that I don't share FG opinions, but this is good news for Waterford and any reprieve he manages to secure for Waterford should be recognised.

Are we really settling for reprieves now....:(

I suppose his mug will be on the front page of Waterford Today from now until election time. I hope people have enough intelligence not to fall for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Sully wrote: »

This isn't a ministerial position. Its a junior minister and a minor one at that. Different thing.You were telling every one here that Coffey had a good chance to be made a cabinet minister.They do not sit at ministerial level or at cabinet meetings. They have no say in executive decisions We had these mickey mouse positions before with Brian O'Shea and he acheived f*** all except maybe a grant for Celtworld.This is a stunt to shore up the damage they experienced at the locals and it was widely reported that this is what they were going to so in some shape or form . Its to give the peasents down in Waterford the impression that Coffey is a Junior now he could be a Senior at the next reshuffle. However he wont be. If he had been made a super junior it would be different story but he hasn't.

Advertisement