Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mary Roche is contesting the Seanad Election. No idea what sort of chances she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Gael23 wrote: »
    Mary Roche is contesting the Seanad Election. No idea what sort of chances she has.

She can only be better than her predecessors. At least shell speak out for Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I see in Munster express that mayor has piggy backed over to boston using Sean Egan glass commemoration to boston bomb victims presentation to them over there, nice little trip.he has no business being there as the council had practically zero to do with this.
    I wonder who else went?
    Did they bring their partners?
    Wonder how much this will cost us?

Just looks like mary roche and other marys holiday all over again, which we paid for.nothing achieved which could have been achieved using a telephone.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I see in Munster express that mayor has piggy backed over to boston using Sean Egan glass commemoration to boston bomb victims presentation to them over there, nice little trip.he has no business being there as the council had practically zero to do with this.
    I wonder who else went?
    Did they bring their partners?
    Wonder how much this will cost us?

Just looks like mary roche and other marys holiday all over again, which we paid for.nothing achieved which could have been achieved using a telephone.

Which Mayor are we talking about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't know what's the point of all these councillours. We could get rid of at least half of them and save ourselves a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see Fianna Fail locally are insisting they'd have looked after the hospital if in government and disagree strongly with Halligans recent remarks about not getting guarantees. Haligan has remained quiet enough on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    I see Fianna Fail locally are insisting they'd have looked after the hospital if in government and disagree strongly with Halligans recent remarks about not getting guarantees. Haligan has remained quiet enough on the topic.

So on the same day they say they aren't going to be in government they turn around and say Waterford was going to be at the top of the agenda had they been in power.

Convenient timing that. Note how they didn't say anything up until today.

I wonder in how many other constituencies are the local FF councillors now saying similar things about their local issues now they can breathe a sigh of relief that they won't actually be in power?

As for Mary Butler, in the last few days while all this has been going on, she's been in her office writing letters in support of a FF Seanad candidate and recording videos about how we should look after rural post offices. Ciara Conway 2.0

7upfree wrote: »
    Which Mayor are we talking about ;)

John Cummins

Sully wrote: »

Probably because he believes them.

https://twitter.com/FrankMulqueen/status/724614283024338944

If you tilt your head to the side you'll see that Joe Conway from Tramore has polled in second after the first count in the Seanad elections. He had the support of the Independent Alliance.

I haven't a clue how Seanad elections play out though, given how the parties traditionally organise their vote!

• Advertisement

Joe loses out at the wire by four votes after transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Hopefully Halligan has done some good for the Hospital and the south east.

Cork would be against 24/7 cath lab in the south east, so while we get a second cardiac theatre , it may not be staffed.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Hopefully Halligan has done some good for the Hospital and the south east.

Cork would be against 24/7 cath lab in the south east, so while we get a second cardiac theatre , it may not be staffed.

He seemed positive on the radio this morning, think people from nhs gonna do assessment if viable, which it is from everything we hear here .apparently it's in writing too.
    I hope it works out as it is needed and as I said here before, have respect for John halligan but was finding it difficult to see any achievement for Waterford.as I also mentioned numerous times I'm happy to eat my words if successful.

John Halligan won't support the government but if/when FG deliver 24hr cardiac care, he'll be the first to claim all the credit.

https://twitter.com/paraicgallagher/status/728576504490250240

So there's no going back now for Halligan.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Paudie Coffey played the part of yes man who very much believed that not doing anything to upset the apple cart was the best way forward. John Halligan's approach is the polar opposite of this and it looks as if he's already secured more for Waterford than Coffey or Deasy did in their 5 years in Government.

I said this five years ago, but I hope that all Waterford deputies can at least unite and work together on issues affecting Waterford. There's always going to be disagreements on national policy but I think they can come to broad agreement on initiatives for the constituencies they represent.

AdMMM wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/paraicgallagher/status/728576504490250240

So there's no going back now for Halligan.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Paudie Coffey played the part of yes man who very much believed that not doing anything to upset the apple cart was the best way forward. John Halligan's approach is the polar opposite of this and it looks as if he's already secured more for Waterford than Coffey or Deasy did in their 5 years in Government.

I said this five years ago, but I hope that all Waterford deputies can at least unite and work together on issues affecting Waterford. There's always going to be disagreements on national policy but I think they can come to broad agreement on initiatives for the constituencies they represent.

disagree there.many good investments have happened in coffeys time, over last 5 years.fire station, court house, investment in city centre,ida manager appointed, north quays moving,nama on board for Michael street,ida unit in butlertown etc.
    of course, some will claim unbelievably that he was not important to any of these, still what halligan has achieved is most welcome and deserves tonnes of credit.as you say let's see what else he/they achieve for Waterford.it's a positive day though so just happy with halligan for now.

So, if the news filtering out of Leinster House is true, then it looks really positive for Waterford.

Junior Ministry for John and a Cabinet position for Shane Ross. How they work together will be crucial!

So, if the news filtering out of Leinster House is true, then it looks really positive for Waterford.

Junior Ministry for John and a Cabinet position for Shane Ross. How they work together will be crucial!

Have you looked at Halligans Facebook page?

Nothing on there since Sunday, or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Our new Junior Minister is looking well on tv3 news in his new shirt

• Advertisement

Nothing on there since Sunday, or am I mistaken?

The comments under that post are berating him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Gael23 wrote: »
    The comments under that post are berating him
    There is a post explaining his reasons for going into government and supporting the village idiot, Kenny. Most of the posts seem to be supportive.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Achieved quite a lot in a very short space of time, hopefully he'll get more concessions as time goes on but hes done quite a lot even if this was it for a few years. The WIT thing is massive, and there is definitely a massive push inside the college to get the standards up to meet the criteria so heres hoping we at least get the TU which should lead to more funding without trying to split a campus across a few hundred miles.

Max Powers wrote: »
    disagree there.many good investments have happened in coffeys time, over last 5 years.fire station, court house, investment in city centre,ida manager appointed, north quays moving,nama on board for Michael street,ida unit in butlertown etc.
    of course, some will claim unbelievably that he was not important to any of these, still what halligan has achieved is most welcome and deserves tonnes of credit.as you say let's see what else he/they achieve for Waterford.it's a positive day though so just happy with halligan for now.

Lol! Has it come top this? We're celebrating a new Fire Station?????/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lol! Has it come top this? We're celebrating a new Fire Station?????/

A city shouldn't celebrate a new modern emergency services building?
    You'd likely be celebrating a new hospital building, so why not a fire station?

Cabaal wrote: »
    A city shouldn't celebrate a new modern emergency services building?
    You'd likely be celebrating a new hospital building, so why not a fire station?

Ah you never give up, do you? A fire station? Seriously! When it should be a university.......

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered. 2008. Yet more lies from Fine Gael. But the hacks and the shills continue to defend them. Unbelievably.:roll eyes:

Thankfully the world has moved on past boards.ie, so the spinning performed here is of little impact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah you never give up, do you? A fire station? Seriously! When it should be a university.......

You're kidding me right?
    You are so stuck on one single issue that you are frankly in capable of celebrating anything else thats good in the city? Thats an extremely worrying outlook to have.

I suppose you think the Viking Triangle is also not worth celebrating...you know, because you've not yet got that Uni.
    :rolleyes:

Here's something amazing that you might want to consider doing in your life, celebrate something else thats good while still pursuing something else you want.

Once again you seem to want me as some sort of FG supporter or some nonsense by claiming I'm trying to "spin" things, your labeling attempts are really beyond pathetic at this stage,

That you feel the need to label anybody as a FG supporter who doesn't share your views is just plain odd.

Its desperately sad that you can't see the good in other things happening in Waterford.

You're kidding me right?
    You are so stuck on one single issue that you are frankly in capable of celebrating anything else thats good in the city? Thats an extremely worrying outlook to have.

I suppose you think the Viking Triangle is also not worth celebrating...you know, because you've not yet got that Uni.
    :rolleyes:

Here's something amazing that you might want to consider doing in your life, celebrate something else thats good while still pursuing something else you want.

Once again you seem to want me as some sort of FG supporter or some nonsense by claiming I'm trying to "spin" things, your labeling attempts are really beyond pathetic at this stage,

That you feel the need to label anybody as a FG supporter who doesn't share your views is just plain odd.

Its desperately sad that you can't see the good in other things happening in Waterford.

It's incredible that people like yourself, who are so wrapped up in a political party, fail to comprehend the sheer enormity of the implication of a university for Waterford.

Or the fact that Fine Gael and Labour have done everything they can to undermine this city.

What's that famous line - "stupid is as stupid does".

Tell me - what are the fabled "good things" happening in Waterford?

The denigration of our hospital services?

The dismantling of our city status?

The attacks on WIT?

I could go on, but, no doubt, you'll point to the flour mills demolition as some kind of earth-shattering event for the city.

The saddest thing of all is that people with your outlook are allowed moderate forums like this. Tell me, are you even FROM Waterford?

7upfree, you've read my posts right?
    Where have I ever said anything against the idea of a Uni? I haven't.

You however are so wrapped up in the idea of a uni that you have a narrow minded view for the city and fail to celebrate anything else thats good thats happened. Its a deeply worrying mindset to have.

Essentially it boils down to...I'm not getting what I want so I'm going to sh*t on everything else.

Mod
    If you want to complain about me as a mod then by all means PM me or take it to a CMod, this thread is not the place.

• Advertisement

7upfree, you've read my posts right?
    Where have I ever said anything against the idea of a Uni? I haven't.

You however are so wrapped up in the idea of a uni that you have a narrow minded view for the city and fail to celebrate anything else thats good thats happened. Its a deeply worrying mindset to have.

Essentially it boils down to...I'm not getting what I want so I'm going to sh*t on everything else.

Mod
    If you want to complain about me as a mod then by all means PM me or take it to a CMod, this thread is not the place.

And again, you fail see the importance of the Uni to this City. And celebrate some demolition and the opening of a new fire station.

Some people. Seriously. You have to wonder......

You really don't get it, do you?

Advertisement