Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

7upfree wrote: »
    And again, you fail see the importance of the Uni to this City. And celebrate some demolition and the opening of a new fire station.

Some people. Seriously. You have to wonder......

You really don't get it, do you?

and a Uni isnt the be all and end all

look at Limerick.... its got a Uni...... not a place i want to live, or has it had great employment numbers.....

while a Uni would be a great thing to achieve, celebrating other good things happening around the city is the right thing to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

robtri wrote: »

look at Limerick.... its got a Uni...... not a place i want to live, or has it had great employment numbers.....

while a Uni would be a great thing to achieve, celebrating other good things happening around the city is the right thing to do....

Yeah, but think how bad it would've been without a Uni and an it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

And again, you fail see the importance of the Uni to this City. And celebrate some demolition and the opening of a new fire station.

Some people. Seriously. You have to wonder......

You really don't get it, do you?

It's not just those two things though 7up is it, there is more positives happening and your dismissal of those positives as irrelevant/don't matter/whatever doesn't reflect well on your posts..by that I mean they come across over negative and frankly like someone who prefers to stress negatives.No one thinks we are flying it, there is more to do etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Its worth celebrating our new firestation imo, I mean have you seen it? Its a state of the art, modern building thats all the needed facilities for the firestation to function effectively.I think its laudable that we got a new firestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Its worth celebrating our new firestation imo, I mean have you seen it? Its a state of the art, modern building thats all the needed facilities for the firestation to function effectively.I think its laudable that we got a new firestation.

I'm delighted about it. Old building was wrecking the lads heads and was a danger to the whole community

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm delighted about it. Old building was wrecking the lads heads and was a danger to the whole community

Yeah certainly didn't cater for the needs of the modern city.But really great we have one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Yes it is. This is the core issue which has held Waterford City back. gET A uni and everything else falls into place. It has been proven.

Until we wake up to this al the fire stations/VTs/demolition in the world will count for squat.

As long as people are prepared to accept second best for this City we will be in the doldrums for DECADES.

Max Powers wrote: »
    It's not just those two things though 7up is it, there is more positives happening and your dismissal of those positives as irrelevant/don't matter/whatever doesn't reflect well on your posts..by that I mean they come across over negative and frankly like someone who prefers to stress negatives.No one thinks we are flying it, there is more to do etc..

"Streesing negatives" = realising the reality of the situation we are in. We are lagging behind. A uni is essential to Waterford city's future.

"Streesing negatives" = realising the reality of the situation we are in. We are lagging behind. A uni is essential to Waterford city's future.

Ignoring / dismissing positives is not reality of the situation.

Ignoring / dismissing positives is not reality of the situation.

It is when the positives are minuscule in comparison to the benefits of a Uni.

• Advertisement

Yes it is. This is the core issue which has held Waterford City back. gET A uni and everything else falls into place. It has been proven.

show me where it has been proven?

proof as i already said Limerick has a UNI and it still a **** hole... (no offence to anyone from Limerick) and it has similiar problems to Waterford...

if you think that a Uni is going to solve everything, you are sadly deluded

show me where it has been proven?

proof as i already said Limerick has a UNI and it still a **** hole... (no offence to anyone from Limerick) and it has similiar problems to Waterford...

if you think that a Uni is going to solve everything, you are sadly deluded

Nope. Everything will fall into place. The only deluded ones are the ones celebrating the droppings from the cabinet table.

Nope. Everything will fall into place. The only deluded ones are the ones celebrating the droppings from the cabinet table.

still no link to any proof of this

It is when the positives are minuscule in comparison to the benefits of a Uni.

Ridiculous to call some of the investments/positives that have and are happening miniscule.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

By all means please show us where its been proven?
    As you've said, a city goes from not having any Uni to getting a Uni and "everything falling into place".

Now before you suggest Maynooth because its Ireland's most recent Uni, please don't. It can't be claimed that it helped bring the likes of Intel because Intel started in Kildare in 1989 and Maynooth was only made a Uni in 1997.

So have anywhere else in Ireland?

Cabaal wrote: »
    By all means please show us where its been proven?
    As you've said, a city goes from not having any Uni to getting a Uni and "everything falling into place".

Now before you suggest Maynooth because its Ireland's most recent Uni, please don't. It can't be claimed that it helped bring the likes of Intel because Intel started in Kildare in 1989 and Maynooth was only made a Uni in 1997.

So have anywhere else in Ireland?

You dismiss and prove the point in the same sentence. Well done.:) I've asked you before - are you even FROM Waterford?

still no link to any proof of this

Well, don't just take MY word for it - or do you disagree with the core points here (from 2005) as well? People have two choices - keep their heads in the sand and accept the drip feeding of Waterford city - or stand up for the bloody place and ask for the same dinner as everyone else. A la John Halligan. And kudos to him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/south-east-needs-a-university-of-waterford-1.407563

"The university case was made by Limerick and the mid-west many years ago and the regional transformation and national benefits resulting from the creation of both the University of Limerick and the Limerick Institute of Technology are readily evident. Waterford and the south-east now remain as the only region in Ireland where demographic and economic data so clearly justify the case for the creation of a new university: Ireland's eighth (and final one for the foreseeable future)".

"Waterford and its region are at a disadvantage when competing with the other gateway cities, all of which have both an institute of technology and a university".

But just covering keep your ears lads. You probably all know whats best - in the face of ALL the evidence to the contrary.

Just seen a JobBridge Advertisement for a Museum Assistant for one of our museums. They're looking for someone with a post-Graduate degree in History/Archaeology to work 30 hours a week for an extra 50 euro. Absolutely soul destroying in my opinion, to be studying for that long and end up with only 50 euro more than the Social Welfare. A an absolute disservice to our graduates.

Just seen a JobBridge Advertisement for a Museum Assistant for one of our museums. They're looking for someone with a post-Graduate degree in History/Archaeology to work 30 hours a week for an extra 50 euro. Absolutely soul destroying in my opinion, to be studying for that long and end up with only 50 euro more than the Social Welfare. A an absolute disservice to our graduates.

The ICTU and unions should never have allowed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/733339983864573953

Surprised that John Deasy didn't come away with anything.

Full list here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-junior-ministers-named-by-enda-kenny-1.2653416

Am I correct in saying that nobody from Wexford, Kilkenny or Carlow were appointed?

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »

Full list here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-junior-ministers-named-by-enda-kenny-1.2653416

Am I correct in saying that nobody from Wexford, Kilkenny or Carlow were appointed?

WHY in God's name would you give Deasy anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Again? Tells you something.

Well, don't just take MY word for it - or do you disagree with the core points here (from 2005) as well? People have two choices - keep their heads in the sand and accept the drip feeding of Waterford city - or stand up for the bloody place and ask for the same dinner as everyone else. A la John Halligan. And kudos to him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/south-east-needs-a-university-of-waterford-1.407563

"The university case was made by Limerick and the mid-west many years ago and the regional transformation and national benefits resulting from the creation of both the University of Limerick and the Limerick Institute of Technology are readily evident. Waterford and the south-east now remain as the only region in Ireland where demographic and economic data so clearly justify the case for the creation of a new university: Ireland's eighth (and final one for the foreseeable future)".

"Waterford and its region are at a disadvantage when competing with the other gateway cities, all of which have both an institute of technology and a university".

But just covering keep your ears lads. You probably all know whats best - in the face of ALL the evidence to the contrary.

If its alright with you I wont take your word or an out of date document.

you highlight limerick, yet limerick has as bad unemployment rates, numerous social issues, so a Uni has not magically solved all these problems... but but but a Uni solves everything.... ffs

A university is an added advantage but it is not the solution to all of waterfords problems.
    So as Waterford progress, its time miserable, ba humbugs Waterfordians actually realised a lot of good stuff has happened in waterford and yes it should be applauded.

Halligans line in the sand was 24/7 cardiac care.... not a uni so why u applauding him???

So tell me by getting a Uni... how does that upgrade WRH to having 24/7 cardiac care.. how does a Uni solve homelessness, how does a uni bring in tourists, how does a uni upgrade our fire services to help protect people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

AdMMM wrote: »

I'm not.
    Deasy needs to look at Halligan, he might learn something.

Kehoe was appointed from Wexford, but its a bit of a demotion as he was chief whip ( cabinet posn.), Wexford has lost two cabinet positions. Kilkenny has nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I see an unnamed veteran TD is giving out in the Irishtimes that Kenny won't appoint TDs to ministerial positions who speak their mind,.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I'm not.
    Deasy needs to look at Halligan, he might learn something.

Kehoe was appointed from Wexford, but its a bit of a demotion as he was chief whip ( cabinet posn.), Wexford has lost two cabinet positions. Kilkenny has nothing.
    Not surprised either,deasy didn't play the game or played it badly, his best opportunity now is to support the next fg leader but fg will probably be wiped in next election so in opposition possibly.who knows, anything could happen but can't get away from fact he achieved little to zero for Waterford.we all have a sneaking fondness for a bit of a maverick but reality for Waterford is he adds little.IMO

Today's times reporting that halligan getting money for airport runway.Would be another coup,deasy has been pushing/talking about this for a while and achieved little.anyway, yet to be seen if this is actually enough money to do the runway or is it another million or so which I think already promised and will maybe help small bit, who knows.not sure how much they need for the runway, think basic option is order of 8 mill.fingers crossed get the money and some success out there.has potential I reckon, seems like jet capability is a must, I'm no expert on issue.

If its alright with you I wont take your word or an out of date document.

you highlight limerick, yet limerick has as bad unemployment rates, numerous social issues, so a Uni has not magically solved all these problems... but but but a Uni solves everything.... ffs

A university is an added advantage but it is not the solution to all of waterfords problems.
    So as Waterford progress, its time miserable, ba humbugs Waterfordians actually realised a lot of good stuff has happened in waterford and yes it should be applauded.

Halligans line in the sand was 24/7 cardiac care.... not a uni so why u applauding him???

So tell me by getting a Uni... how does that upgrade WRH to having 24/7 cardiac care.. how does a Uni solve homelessness, how does a uni bring in tourists, how does a uni upgrade our fire services to help protect people?

Out of date doesn't change the facts. Especially given who wrote it.

Today's times reporting that halligan getting money for airport runway.Would be another coup,deasy has been pushing/talking about this for a while and achieved little.anyway, yet to be seen if this is actually enough money to do the runway or is it another million or so which I think already promised and will maybe help small bit, who knows.not sure how much they need for the runway, think basic option is order of 8 mill.fingers crossed get the money and some success out there.has potential I reckon, seems like jet capability is a must, I'm no expert on issue.

If they can carry jets the airport will grow and grow. Hope he gets it. Great news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If they can carry jets the airport will grow and grow. Hope he gets it. Great news.

How can you celebrate something like this when Waterford doesn't have a Uni yet? whats wrong with you??
    :D :pac:

Advertisement