Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Cabaal wrote: »
    How can you celebrate something like this when Waterford doesn't have a Uni yet? whats wrong with you??
    :D :pac:

I would agree that a university in Waterford would be an immediate catalyst for economic growth in the region. Companies are securing their investment by locating where a steady stream of university graduates will be available in the long term. Many overseas company have this as a basic criteria in the investigative phase of investment.

Should they then locate in this area, you're looking at significant growth in higher paid jobs figures. That triggers retail and other secondary growth.

Your flippant dismissal of the other posters sense that the university is crucial is curiously puzzling. He seems to be making sense to me. I would be of the opinion that a new court house and fire station are to be recognised as welcome improvements. Neither are remotely linked to improvement in thousands of peoples lives based on a growing economy, or better still, an economy stunted by the strategic prioritisation of other regions.

I wonder about the political motivation of many of the posts in this forum and have done for many months. It would be a much more enjoyable experience to read the posts in the forum if there wasn't such an air of concealed political allegiance to so many posts. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

For any person who feels an allegiance to the south east community over a political club, the university is desperately needed and should be prioritised as such.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cork is hardly booming and it's bigger than Waterford. Likewise for Knock and it has a lot of political weight behind it. Not sure Waterford will ever 'take off' tbh even with John Halligan shaking and moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I would agree that a university in Waterford would be an immediate catalyst for economic growth in the region. Companies are securing their investment by locating where a steady stream of university graduates will be available in the long term. Many overseas company have this as a basic criteria in the investigative phase of investment.

Should they then locate in this area, you're looking at significant growth in higher paid jobs figures. That triggers retail and other secondary growth.

Your flippant dismissal of the other posters sense that the university is crucial is curiously puzzling. He seems to be making sense to me. I would be of the opinion that a new court house and fire station are to be recognised as welcome improvements. Neither are remotely linked to improvement in thousands of peoples lives based on a growing economy, or better still, an economy stunted by the strategic prioritisation of other regions.

I wonder about the political motivation of many of the posts in this forum and have done for many months. It would be a much more enjoyable experience to read the posts in the forum if there wasn't such an air of concealed political allegiance to so many posts. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

For any person who feels an allegiance to the south east community over a political club, the university is desperately needed and should be prioritised as such.

People celebrating positives and pointing out that they should be welcomed does not mean they have political allegiances.what gets a lot of people's goat is over negativity and doom mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

7upfree wrote: »
    Out of date doesn't change the facts. Especially given who wrote it.

its a small few lines that mean nothing...

Please point out where in the article it categorically states that if waterford got a Uni... everything else, absolutely everything else will be taken care off, such as employment, anti social behaviour, 24/7 cardiac care, housing issues, mortgage arrears,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sully wrote: »
    Cork is hardly booming and it's bigger than Waterford. Likewise for Knock and it has a lot of political weight behind it. Not sure Waterford will ever 'take off' tbh even with John Halligan shaking and moving.

Great to see serious investment in the region, great for Waterford and for the Southeast.
    Also changes in the requirements for technical university status may make progress easier.

Halligan has done more for Waterford in the last few weeks than FG has done for the last 20 years.

The Dublin based media tried to have ago at him for the cardiology lab and the Water charges issue, he just brushed them aside brilliantly , nothing they could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

robtri wrote: »
    its a small few lines that mean nothing...
    :D

Max Powers wrote: »
    People celebrating positives and pointing out that they should be welcomed does not mean they have political allegiances.what gets a lot of people's goat is over negativity and doom mongering.

No, believe it or not, outside the deluded confines of fora like this, it is the manipulation of media and fora, along with the derogatory treatment of Waterford City, that "gets people's goat".....

How can you celebrate something like this when Waterford doesn't have a Uni yet? whats wrong with you??
    :D :pac:

Touché:D Part of a bigger jigsaw. Tourism anyone? The Uni, of course, being the catalyst for it all. By the way, you still haven't said where you're from. I was born in Waterford City. Yourself? Or are you that embarrassed by it?

Well said. And you are 100% right, of course, about the political motivation of some posts. It has been going on for years. I know many users who have given up on this forum - and the wider boards.ie - because of it. And also 100% right about where allegiances lie.

The University, as you point out, is a basic criteria for investment and opportunity. Economics 101.

As opposed to your Fine Gael heroes? He's done more in two months than those clowns did in five years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

As opposed to your Fine Gael heroes? He's done more in two months than those clowns did in five years.

I can attest to Halligan's practicability on a personal basis. My mother is disabled and her medical card withdrawn. Halligan as TD, helped get her medical card returned.

John Halligan is a man of the people, unlike some of those puppet Fine Gaelers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Chiparus wrote: »
    Great to see serious investment in the region, great for Waterford and for the Southeast.
    Also changes in the requirements for technical university status may make progress easier.

Halligan has done more for Waterford in the last few weeks than FG has done for the last 20 years.

The Dublin based media tried to have ago at him for the cardiology lab and the Water charges issue, he just brushed them aside brilliantly , nothing they could do.

Jesus ye'r an awful sensitive lot. I compliment Halligan, ye say nothing. I point out the glaring obvious about Waterford Airport and ye think I am slating the poor man.

Lets pour money into Waterford Airport when other airports in the country aren't exactly booming. How this is going to save our fortunes and see us competing with a stuttering airport (Cork) is beyond me because Waterford is not aiming to be, nor will it be, a major international airport. We're grand, Waterford can be unique in it's own right but even with that the smaller airlines don't hang around because there not supported.

Halligan has done **** all yet lads. All talk, but no action yet. He has a good shot because he has a lot more power than any other TDs have had in recent years and he deserves a huge credit (not the backlash social media haters are giving) for grabbing the government by the short and curlies. But he has an "agreement" on the Hospital and University. But history has shown, these are not worth the paper there written on. Back patting, yes sir, no problem sir, vote for me sir and it will come. Give it time, sir.

Fianna Fail have already got the government acting out what they want them to do. Halligan hasn't yet. But perhaps, he may well indeed secure us the much needed victory and he gets a thumbs up from me if he succeeds.
    I can attest to Halligan's practicability on a personal basis. My mother is disabled and her medical card withdrawn. Halligan as TD, helped get her medical card returned.

John Halligan is a man of the people, unlike some of those puppet Fine Gaelers

I'm assuming that no other TD in Waterford has ever managed to secure a medical card for someone in genuine need for it? Regardless of party?

Give it a rest boy. Your heroes f*****d Waterford over. Aided and abetted by the cretins who campaigned for them. And are a member of those parties. Idiots.

Jesus ye'r an awful sensitive lot. I compliment Halligan, ye say nothing. I point out the glaring obvious about Waterford Airport and ye think I am slating the poor man.

Lets pour money into Waterford Airport when other airports in the country aren't exactly booming. How this is going to save our fortunes and see us competing with a stuttering airport (Cork) is beyond me because Waterford is not aiming to be, nor will it be, a major international airport. We're grand, Waterford can be unique in it's own right but even with that the smaller airlines don't hang around because there not supported.

Halligan has done **** all yet lads. All talk, but no action yet. He has a good shot because he has a lot more power than any other TDs have had in recent years and he deserves a huge credit (not the backlash social media haters are giving) for grabbing the government by the short and curlies. But he has an "agreement" on the Hospital and University. But history has shown, these are not worth the paper there written on. Back patting, yes sir, no problem sir, vote for me sir and it will come. Give it time, sir.

Fianna Fail have already got the government acting out what they want them to do. Halligan hasn't yet. But perhaps, he may well indeed secure us the much needed victory and he gets a thumbs up from me if he succeeds.

I'm assuming that no other TD in Waterford has ever managed to secure a medical card for someone in genuine need for it? Regardless of party?

I can't really speak for them, I will aknowledge John Halligan for his sincerity and helpfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Well done complimenting Halligan, it must have been difficult to do with your condition.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Well done complimenting Halligan, it must have been difficult to do with your condition.
    :D

Give it a rest boy. Your heroes f*****d Waterford over. Aided and abetted by the cretins who campaigned for them. And are a member of those parties. Idiots.

so who do you support???

so the way the government is....

FF are abstaining.... so Mary Butler will be piss all use for Waterford... wont do anything.. I personally havent heard a peep out of her, absolute joke. Checked her facebook page.. her last up date over a month ago, great way to connect with the public...

SF are in opposition- So all we will have is complaining and moaning and no action.... again not a peep of David Cullinane... checked his facebook... a few Lame posts moaning about this that and the other... ffs he was elected for something, but has failed to do anything

Halligan - junior ministry .... has the most potential, can hopefully deliver a few nice things for Waterford.....

FG Deasy..... Failed to deliver anything worthwhile for Waterford... and will expect him to continue in the same breath.. but has some hope, being in the party in power (laughing)....

so unless Halligans delivers something..... Waterford is fecked again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Touché:D Part of a bigger jigsaw. Tourism anyone? The Uni, of course, being the catalyst for it all. By the way, you still haven't said where you're from. I was born in Waterford City. Yourself? Or are you that embarrassed by it?

Where I was born has zero relevance and the fact you've gone down this route shows a weird "its a local place for local people" mentality which is just sort of odd.

I'd suggest you stick to debating the on topic subject of this thread, instead of trying to debate my personal information.
    If you're not trying to discuss my personal info you want to decide what political party I support (which you are always wrong about), its getting really odd at this stage.

I hope halligan doesn't waste opportunity to achieve cardiac care for south east by voting against government.Would be a shame at this stage if he did vote against he would surely be removed from junior minister position and would mean bye bye cardiac care.he should toe the line IMO as IW in its current format anyway is dead already, he doesn't need to put final nail in.

• Advertisement

Where I was born has zero relevance and the fact you've gone down this route shows a weird "its a local place for local people" mentality which is just sort of odd.

I'd suggest you stick to debating the on topic subject of this thread, instead of trying to debate my personal information.
    If you're not trying to discuss my personal info you want to decide what political party I support (which you are always wrong about), its getting really odd at this stage.

Hmmm. I can guess where you're from already. It actually does impact on things, because if you're where I think you're from, you have no business moderating a Waterford City forum.

What it odd is the way certain people on here have their head in the sand regarding the City, and choose to put a political ideally before the City and its citizens.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I hope halligan doesn't waste opportunity to achieve cardiac care for south east by voting against government.Would be a shame at this stage if he did vote against he would surely be removed from junior minister position and would mean bye bye cardiac care.he should toe the line IMO as IW in its current format anyway is dead already, he doesn't need to put final nail in.

according to the 5:00pm news he's voting with them. If he does he's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Halligan won't vote for something he's against unless there's something in it for him. He'll be doing FG a service given that the dogs in the street know that IW in its current form is gone. He has an opportunity to leverage such loyalty for the benefit of the constituency, not to give us an advantage but to close the gap slightly on the advances afforded to every other Irish city.

I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He clearly has a plan. Give him a chance to run it through. If we have large jet aircraft landing in Waterford in 3 years time, equal access to the healthcare of comparible cities and WIT building towards university status without political roadblocks dropping from the sky, I doubt we'll ultimately remember him for his Irish water stance.

Hmmm. I can guess where you're from already. It actually does impact on things, because if you're where I think you're from, you have no business moderating a Waterford City forum.

What it odd is the way certain people on here have their head in the sand regarding the City, and choose to put a political ideally before the City and its citizens.

you still havent said where your political allegiances lie??

it doesnt matter where he is from to Mod a forum... that most ridiculous small minded bordering racist piece of crap...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sigh.....ok, this is your last warning,
    If you want to continue your attacks on mods on this forum one more time then consider yourself banned.

You're on this forum long enough to know the drill and you've been warned enough in threads, via PM's etc about your attacks.

If you have an issue with any mod on this forum then take it to the Cmod with proof to support the claims you've made countless times, you can't claim ignorance in this regard as you've been told this enough and each time you've done nothing or provided no proof to backup any claims.

If you continue your attacks then you're banned. It really is your call, I'd rather not ban you but you seem incapable of accepting warnings.

As expected, people not taking it well on his Facebook page.

he advises:
    Unfortunately, supporting the Programme for Government is the only method I have of securing the cardiac services and airport funding that Waterford so badly needs.

So you would prefer he votes with SF and no cardiac care and extra airport funding?
    If yes, that is a clear example of the short sightedness (trying to be polite)of the Irish voter.

Some people won't give John a chance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

From monitoring the comments on Twitter and Facebook, a few things become very obvious.

There’s an awful lot of fake outrage out there by people who claimed they gave John their Number 1 vote but are now calling him a traitor who’ll never get their vote again. However, after only a few clicks we can see that they’ve never spent a day in Waterford in their lives and judging by previous profile pictures, count the day they met Gerry Adams at the Ard Fheis as one of the high points of their lives.

These orchestrated tweets and comments are attempts at setting the tone for the discussion that follows and Sinn Fein have become very adept at it. By flooding the initial discussion with made up negative claims, they hope that negativity remains the focus when more pragmatic people come along to comment later.

When the dust settles however (and it always does), it will become obvious that the outrage that was seemingly ever-present within seconds of a post going up on Facebook or Twitter is not a true reflection of how most people feel about the issue.

With all that being said, there most certainly are people in Waterford who did vote for John but will probably never vote for him again, but that’s always going to be one of the consequences of rolling the dice and going into Government.

Advertisement