Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Max Powers wrote: »
    O Riain wrote: »
    While I guess it ultimately comes down to John, should we not be looking at the bigger picture here? The bigger picture being once again we are being shafted? John seemingly did well enough only for it to fall to pieces at the first hurdle.

But this time it's worse, an 'independent' inquiry is there to back up their shafting of us so we have absolutely nothing to complain about!

Annoying thing is we were told by JH and consultants that we had the need, had the population etc.was that lies or was this report fixed to fail from day one.hopefully we will see some positive out of what looks like now,a complete mess.

As a Waterford main I would have to wholeheartedly believe that the report is a complete fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    As a Waterford main I would have to wholeheartedly believe that the report is a complete fix.

Guess we'll just have to wait for reasons the report says not viable because if its the case then I'm sure it might be applicable to limerick and galway too.....and I'm sure this and successive governments would then possibly take resources from them too ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Max Powers wrote: »
    JH's performance so far hasn't been great, he promised us this, 'done deal'..if that doesn't materialise now and its difficult to see how it can at this stage with the 'independent' report saying contrary. JH should have made sure that the terms of the report led to only one conclusion, that is the way other people/companies/TDs/parties do it.

only 2 decent outcomes here, either he gets it sorted or near enough it so it looks like a victory for him and govt can stand over it or he gets a load of investment elsewhere such as in hospital, IDA jobs, investment in North quays etc etc so that one offsets the other.

At this stage I nearly wish he took the government down. I don't remember Tony Gregory or Jackie Healy Rea or any other Independent with a goverment - propping promise getting fuked up the ass like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Since a few people here are saying the report is fixed...
    can anyone of these point me to the report and where the discrepancies are? and how it is fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The issue is not Waterford but Cork, Cork in itself does not have he catchment/ patient numbers to justify a cardiac service.

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    Since a few people here are saying the report is fixed...
    can anyone of these point me to the report and where the discrepancies are? and how it is fixed?

Not public yet (if ever) but the consultants at UHW are on record as stating it meets the criteria. Why would they lie only to be shown up? The only logical answer is that the goalposts got moved which is how these things are usually scuppered by officialdom, is it not?
    You know the old maxim; if it looks like **** and smells like ****, chances are...it's ****.

Not public yet (if ever) but the consultants at UHW are on record as stating it meets the criteria. Why would they lie only to be shown up? The only logical answer is that the goalposts got moved which is how these things are usually scuppered by officialdom, is it not?
    You know the old maxim; if it looks like **** and smells like ****, chances are...it's ****.

Oh look my naughty swear words got redacted, expect similar with this stinking report if it ever gets released publicly.

but considering you haven't seen the report or anything, u are only making up stuff in your own mind...
    the report is needed to see what the issues and recommendations actually are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Oh what a man of great principal!

Thank Christ I never gave him a vote in the elections!

• Advertisement

Can people stop focusing on Halligan here?

The issue is the hospital and I don't care about Halligan whatsoever. Our other politicians should be jumping on this but instead some of them seem to be using it as a chance to get at Halligan, especially Mary Butler.

We need to talk about why we are not getting the second cath lab which was apparently a sure thing, halligan is not to blame here. He's the fall guy and the South East is losing out as a result.

The issue is the hospital and I don't care about Halligan whatsoever. Our other politicians should be jumping on this but instead some of them seem to be using it as a chance to get at Halligan, especially Mary Butler.

We need to talk about why we are not getting the second cath lab which was apparently a sure thing, halligan is not to blame here. He's the fall guy and the South East is losing out as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

O Riain wrote:

O Riain wrote:

O Riain wrote:

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Where is the great man of the Waterford people John Deasy?

Probably up in the Blackrock Clinic saying how terrible it is to have to deal with the great unwashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

reni10 wrote: »

Probably up in the Blackrock Clinic saying how terrible it is to have to deal with the great unwashed!

Deasy doesn't deal with or care about the people of Waterford. How he gets back in year after year is astonishing considering the man has no tongue. What is Mary Butler saying about this report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What is Mary Butler saying about this report?

She hasn't been given one yet...A script!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

reni10 wrote: »

Probably biding his time until he has studied the report. Just because Halligan chooses to shoot his mouth off doesn't mean that every Waterford TD has to follow his example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Halligan and Waterford consultants are stating the current Cath lab covers a region of 500,000 people while the report is based on a region of about 200,000 - if the consultants are correct, then the report is flawed.

Halligan should stay on, expose the flaws of the report and keep fighting for Waterford. He's the only one that's going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I don't like Halligan but I've no issue with him questioning this report. There's been countless times where successive governments have ignored report recommendations on issues all over the country so I'd like to see why this one suddenly has to be adhered to. Well besides politicians generally being 2 faced backstabbers by their very nature, I'd like to see the other reasons.

It's depressing listening to the coverage on the various national radio stations characterising this as "parish pump politics". Until people and pols in rest of S.E. get agitated about regional issues like this or WIT or the airport or IDA or the lack of a replacement for the scrapped National Spatial Strategy or anything else "regional", unless that happens Waterford will always be the runt in the litter of the so called regional capitals because we're fighting mostly on our own. So from a national viewpoint it looks like local parish pump knashing of teeth.
    So I'm less interested in the minister for Dungarvan or Butler speaking up as I am to hear J.P. Phelan or any T.D. from wexford or Tipp speaking out on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Just a small observation about the parish pump politics mentioned in relation to UHW. Whereas it is being highlighted how this is a regional issue, elsewhere on boards, Waterford posters have complained about "the loss of our VEC to Wexford". So in that respect maybe it is not surprising when other 'regional' TDs don't come to the defence of a regional facility based in Waterford, when they see the reaction of Waterford people when some regional facilities are located in other towns. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

wagtail99 wrote: »
    Just a small observation about the parish pump politics mentioned in relation to UHW. Whereas it is being highlighted how this is a regional issue, elsewhere on boards, Waterford posters have complained about "the loss of our VEC to Wexford". So in that respect maybe it is not surprising when other 'regional' TDs don't come to the defence of a regional facility based in Waterford, when they see the reaction of Waterford people when some regional facilities are located in other towns. Just a thought.

A point well made.

My own personal perspective is that Waterford City is a political orphan. It has the same political relationship with Waterford County as it has with Kilkenny and Wexford. It has two very left wing TDs that are on the fringes of mainstream politics- both of which are examples of the anger at being marginalised. The other 'Waterford' TDs have more in common with rural TDs- and do not pull for the city. As a city it has only ever had one full Minister since the foundation of the state which is remarkable if you look at consistent representation from Cork and Dublin- and the near consistent representation from Limerick and Galway.

The issue for the region is that the city has been pulled apart by the large towns of the South East on one hand; and seeing Cork, Limerick and Dublin eat into the regions resources. Waterford with a population of 50k is losing services to Wexford (pop 23k) and Kilkenny (25k). Waterford is the only contender for city status in the region, and if it does not have city level services (university, retail, jobs and hospital) the region will be left without much of theses services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

wagtail99 wrote: »

I think when the realization that the mortality from heart attacks will increase by 30% because there is no access to cardiac catherisation, and that was the reason that Roscommon A&E was closed may concentrate local politicians minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

bump for this thread with another new topic after being created yesterday.

some classic comments in this thread if you read back 10 pages or so. Sully is some man :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Breda Brennan has resigned her seat on the council

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gael23 wrote:
    Breda Brennan has resigned her seat on the council

Any reason given?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Any reason given?

The relentless on line abuse/attacks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any reason given?

Haven’t heard yet, Doubt it’s abuse though. While I don’t share many of her views politically, Breda is a decent person from a working class background.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    The relentless on line abuse/attacks ?

wouldnt be surprised, whats deemed criticism nowadays, is actually abuse, some comments are just disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Any reason given?

Supposedly SF is preparing a seat for a candidate who is to stand in the next general election. Two years on the council should be enough to build a profile of such candidate. That's what your man from News & Star suggested on FB.

According to Breda herself - it's now time to spend it with the family especially with the other granddaughter being born. She is, however, to stay with the party.

Advertisement