Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

beazee wrote: »
    Supposedly SF is preparing a seat for a candidate who is to stand in the next general election. Two years on the council should be enough to build a profile of such candidate. That's what your man from News & Star suggested on FB.

According to Breda herself - it's now time to spend it with the family especially with the other granddaughter being born. She is, however, to stay with the party.

Would be surprised if they ran two city candidates for a general election, but I suppose that's probably where the bulk of their support has resided.

It's not great that SF (or any other party/independent) get to co-opt people on to the Council to replace those that resign. While there are practical advantages to it, it has the potential for certain hand picked individuals to get in there who mightn't be elected otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Supposedly SF is preparing a seat for a candidate who is to stand in the next general election. Two years on the council should be enough to build a profile of such candidate. That's what your man from News & Star suggested on FB.

According to Breda herself - it's now time to spend it with the family especially with the other granddaughter being born. She is, however, to stay with the party.

Was she shafted then by Sinn Fein because she didn’t want to enter national politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Local Sinn Féin activist and long term Waterford Sinn Féin member Joeanne Bailey has been selected by her local cumann organisation tonight (May 11) to replace Breda Brennan when she steps down from Waterford City & County Council on May 25 next.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/11/joeanne-bailey-selected-by-sinn-fein-to-take-breda-brennans-council-seat/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Great to see a young female coopted onto the council.
    Not a SF supporter but the more females / young people on the council the better. too much deadwood on it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Gardner wrote: »
    Great to see a young female coopted onto the council.
    Not a SF supporter but the more females / young people on the council the better. too much deadwood on it as is.

Would be nice so see more younger people on the council too. The youngest on the council is 27 and he's pretty much the exception. He must be the only person on the council under 35?

• Advertisement

Labour Party members resigning all over twitter tonight over the Party voting with the Government on not supporting the motion of expelling the Israeli ambassador. Seamus Ryan has a Palestinian flag on his social media page, will he resign from the Party? The so called Party of James Connolly really showing it's colours again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gardner wrote:
    Labour Party members resigning all over twitter tonight over the Party voting with the Government on not supporting the motion of expelling the Israeli ambassador. Seamus Ryan has a Palestinian flag on his social media page, will he resign from the Party? The so called Party of James Connolly really showing it's colours again.

Ah shur look, the party is wrecked, it's been undermining its base since forever

Looks to me as if there was quite a measured response in the Dáil last night.

A motion tabled by Sinn Fein, which condemned the de facto annexation of Palestinian terrorities, received cross party support and was passed. Ireland is the first country in the EU to take such a strong stand on this matter, and is getting international recognition for doing so. This should be viewed as a positive outcome, and it wouldn't be the first time Ireland has stood up for human rights in this way (e.g. leading the fight against apartheid in the 80s).

An amendment to this motion tabled by People Before Profit, which sought to expel the Israeli Ambassador and impose sanction upon Israel, was defeated by 87 votes to 46.

Booting Ambassadors out of your country when you don't agree with them is really petty stuff, and is a bit of a stunt by PBP. Better to keep their diplomats here so we can continue to communicate with them.

Sinn Fein fielding 3 candidate's in next GE in Waterford.

David Cullinane (possibly next Minister of Health)
    Conor D McGuiness
    An Other

Can see them definitely getting 2 seats out of the 3.

Prediction
    2 SF
    1 FF
    1 FG Green Indo

Matt the plank will be gone.

GE to be called in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Conor D McGuiness
    An Other

Prediction
    2 SF
    1 FF
    1 FG Green Indo

GE to be called in 2022.

Wouldn't be surprised if the third one is Michael Doyle.

• Advertisement

Tis sf's on a national basis now, ffg are making it almost impossible for them to lose, its amazing to watch them fail spectacularly

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Conor D McGuiness
    An Other

Prediction
    2 SF
    1 FF
    1 FG Green Indo

GE to be called in 2022.

Where do you get the idea Matt will be out? Other than a bad start hes done what people voted him in to do, I reckon he'll have the highest first vote count.

Fianna Fail might get one I guess but it seems very unlikely when they're the ones taking the brunt for the housing and lack of hospital car etc., Michael looks very incompetent and Mary Butler got hung out to dry with the whole care thing up in Clonmel (or Carraig was it?) she depended on transfers last time from West Waterford and I cant see her getting as many again.

Cullinane will get a fair few first preference but I wonder will anyone else in the party be transfer friendly.

Fianna Gael are already starting their campaign with announcements of tax cuts for middle income earners whove been pretty much paying more and more as time goes on so they'll get plenty of votes from that (add to that promises on cuts to childcare).

Add in the likelihood of a West Waterford TD getting in with a lot of farmers and middle to high earners not wanting to vote in Sinn Fein and Im not entirely sure how it will go. They dont have the same concerns as anyone living near the city as Cork is close enough for hospital and uni. while the house prices arent as high in relative terms.

Greens have some support but the lack of any actual environmental actions along with not providing basic public transport Im not sure what they can point to say theyve done with their term in office, along with Marc being clearly having zero chance of a ministership. A lot of people who vote Green would have been hoping for more investment in WIT if not a university, all that seems to have happened is. a load of money wasted on making Carlow it a bigger college in name and no clear track for development.

I could see Matt Shanahan (1), David Cullinane (2) and the rest is up for grabs. Hard to know without actually being around to talk to people though.

Conor D McGuiness
    An Other

Prediction
    2 SF
    1 FF
    1 FG Green Indo

GE to be called in 2022.

I think matt shanahan will walk in next time....think sinn fein are foolish to go with 3.....think they'd be better to concentrate on west waterford and corner it for a generation (it has a big historical militant republican tradition despite returning deasys)

I think (and hope) mary butlers time is done,and the green lad is outta luck with the incoming development plan formally wipe em out rurally......fg are dead as an organisation here and dont even like each other,

I think it'll be 2 shinners,matt shanahan.......probably another independant with a strong local base from out the county

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Has anyone seen or heard from John cummins recently?

He was all about crystal site and north quays? Not a brick laid and he has gone to ground again.

Fine Gael are in a very bad place locally if he is the best they can manage.

Discredit Coffey and deasy all ye want, cummins wouldn’t lace their boots.

It would be such a waterford thing to do is vote in Sf In droves and yet they not be in govt again!!!

It would be such a waterford thing to do is vote in Sf In droves and yet they not be in govt again!!!

Ah its a sf government on the next one, ffg are toast, I suspect it ll be along side FF though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah its a sf government on the next one, ffg are toast, I suspect it ll be along side FF though

Sff :)

Speak Now wrote: »

i think so alright, and probably a couple of others, but primarily

It'll be a good three years or so before we've another election - either local, general or European.

Nearly impossible to make predictions at this point and it's more relevant to be talking about the current representatives.

hardybuck wrote: »
    It'll be a good three years or so before we've another election - either local, general or European.

Nearly impossible to make predictions at this point and it's more relevant to be talking about the current representatives.

possible alright, but you can see where its going, ffg are in serious trouble in regards housing, their plans simply arent gonna work, so they ll be mayhem at the next ge, i do think their era is coming to an end, theyre backing the wrong horses, continually

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

possible alright, but you can see where its going, ffg are in serious trouble in regards housing, their plans simply arent gonna work, so they ll be mayhem at the next ge, i do think their era is coming to an end, theyre backing the wrong horses, continually

It’s one thing backing the wrong horse (we have been doing it for decades in this constituency)

In FG case they are putting the wrong horse into the race In John cummins. He is so weak even moderate voters would move to SF and could you blame anyone.

FG be better off signing up Matt, although it would cost Matt a lot of money losing his leaders allowance. Promise of a ministry might compensate mind you - could be the best outcome for waterford in absence of SF take over.

• Advertisement

I'll let you in on a secret - the opposition's plans aren't going to work either.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'll let you in on a secret - the opposition's plans aren't going to work either.

the opposition are more open to trying alternatives, some of which are already known to work very well elsewhere in the world, ffg are locked into global ideologies that are in the process of collapsing, they have an absolutely refusal to even entertain alternatives, theyre done

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Speak Now wrote: »

FFS! :D

• Eoin Ó Broin has some very forward thinking ideas regarding housing.

If he were housing minister we'd be much better off.

Eoin Ó Broin has some very forward thinking ideas regarding housing.

Doubling investment in public housing is a great idea, but ultimately there's a finite amount of capacity within the sector.

Whoever is at the helm will make a few tweaks around the fringes, but there's going to be a continued shortage of supply regardless.

• hardybuck wrote: »
    Doubling investment in public housing is a great idea, but ultimately there's a finite amount of capacity within the sector.

Whoever is at the helm will make a few tweaks around the fringes, but there's going to be a continued shortage of supply regardless.

A load of bollocks.

hardybuck wrote:

This is exactly what ffg are doing, hence their failure, sf have a completely different idea, which includes approches such as coop building, and major projects on public land, ffg's is a primarily fire sector lead approach, this will never work, and all it will do is continually drive up prices, as that's what it's designed to do. This era of economics is over, its been a major failure all over the world, particularly in relation to housing, and its disturbing to see parties such as ffg continually trying it, they're causing their own falling

A load of bollocks.

Excellent retort.

Where do you get the idea Matt will be out? Other than a bad start hes done what people voted him in to do, I reckon he'll have the highest first vote count.

Fianna Fail might get one I guess but it seems very unlikely when they're the ones taking the brunt for the housing and lack of hospital car etc., Michael looks very incompetent and Mary Butler got hung out to dry with the whole care thing up in Clonmel (or Carraig was it?) she depended on transfers last time from West Waterford and I cant see her getting as many again.

Cullinane will get a fair few first preference but I wonder will anyone else in the party be transfer friendly.

Fianna Gael are already starting their campaign with announcements of tax cuts for middle income earners whove been pretty much paying more and more as time goes on so they'll get plenty of votes from that (add to that promises on cuts to childcare).

Add in the likelihood of a West Waterford TD getting in with a lot of farmers and middle to high earners not wanting to vote in Sinn Fein and Im not entirely sure how it will go. They dont have the same concerns as anyone living near the city as Cork is close enough for hospital and uni. while the house prices arent as high in relative terms.

Greens have some support but the lack of any actual environmental actions along with not providing basic public transport Im not sure what they can point to say theyve done with their term in office, along with Marc being clearly having zero chance of a ministership. A lot of people who vote Green would have been hoping for more investment in WIT if not a university, all that seems to have happened is. a load of money wasted on making Carlow it a bigger college in name and no clear track for development.

I could see Matt Shanahan (1), David Cullinane (2) and the rest is up for grabs. Hard to know without actually being around to talk to people though.

Educate me here. he is a opposition TD with no say or power so what has he done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Eoin Ó Broin has some very forward thinking ideas regarding housing.

He has the ideas but Sinn Fein thing the money to pay for it grows on trees

Advertisement