Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MOC88 wrote: »
    You say its not Government ignorance that is not our biggest problem - but now you;re saying everything is connected to Government- so what are you saying it is exactly?

I'd classify emigration and the economic blackhole that has sucked Waterford in as our biggest problems how can you draw a statement like that as em saying Government is irrelevant - Don't be facetious.

Not everything. Just those issues, but there not exclusive to Waterford so I am not counting it as a specific problem in terms of the government v Waterford theory. There can be no denying the economic downturn has hit Waterford, with one of the largest unemployment rates in the country. But its not just a Waterford problem, and the government are addressing this as a national issue rather than county by county.
    ...so they're brilliant at promising stuff and identifying what people want and yet deliver none of it.

This is the only part I agree with and it applies to every single party and candidate. Welcome to Politics.
    Interesting that while every county on the road gets a new free motorway Waterford gets a toll on a bridge that had a campaign going back before I was born (I was born in 1988). We got a few kms of road that was badly needed and a tolled second bridge when 3 is what is needed.

Isn't the M9 the only motorway that has no toll?

The Bypass was given the toll. People would complain either way if there was a toll and suggest it was a conspiracy to hit Waterford. People can travel to and from Waterford without having to a pay a toll.
    Kilkenny is not dominant and not on a continuous upward trajectory. What needs to happen is Waterford needs to be given control of its own hinterlands so it can get the services it should be given considering the amount of people that actually make use of the facilities available.

Kilkenny is doing a lot better than Waterford is in terms of a local economy without state support or without Phil Hogan, and there can be no denying that. Always did, prior to this government. I'm not sure how inheriting the hinterlands will see Waterford going from rags to riches, or at least helping.
    Somewhat up to our Government - they're making all the wrong decisions and eliminating disposable income. Rather than fix problems they'd rather pay now defunct banks billions that even the EU and IMF said not to.

The economic policies of this government are being put to us by the EU / IMF and as a result of a Fianna Fail agreement. The banking issue is something they are trying to address without much support from Europe.
    That's great that they've given some form of investment in to tourism but what happens when it doesn't work to solve unemployment of over 30% - there has to be inroads made on all types of industries not just tourism. Its the same with the IT and Pharma sectors - even if they had a huge industry here its not a magic wand. What are we to expect when 1100 jobs are announced for a Glanbia factory that will employ less than 100. And if I have to hear one more announcement of high tech jobs in Dublin that are actually about 20 HR people so a company can use Ireland as a tax haven I'll go nuts.

I'm not suggesting this is the solution. I'm pointing out investment and disputing the theory Waterford isn't being given anything at all. I'm also not suggesting that the government are doing us many favours. I'm just pointing out both sides rather than the one side.
    Oh its a positive move but a move that means very little I imagine in the way of funding which is really what matters. Luckily the sports campus in Carrganore had to be given money or there was a possible case for suing. I'll still be glad to have technological uni. instead of i.t on my c.v as I'm sure you will be but I would prefer to have more research positions in Waterford than not. No we wouldn't have boomed but as I've pointed out there is no silver bullet. A strive to be equal is rubbish a strive to ensure that as little money is spent as possible in a constituency that is not important on a national level for elections.

Sued? The contractors did the job and got paid for it. WIT ****ed up and couldn't pay to complete it so the project grounded to a halt. The government stepped in and bailed them out. And they moved pretty quickly in another boost. Mass outrage when the news was announced that they ****ed up, fingers pointing squarely at the government without foundation. State backs it, and not a whimper about it.

They may not have given us the full university status we sought, but we knew this was coming since the day the government took office and put it in their programme for government. It was a commitment to Waterford and the South East and the biggest in terms of our long fight than any other government. 2 years down the line and the train is moving pretty rapidly to get a new type of University that WIT may very well be the leader in and bring a new class of education bringing on a different class of jobs. Was I pissed off that the state didn't give a full university? 100%. During my time in local politics I was hounding for this and when it was announced when they came into power, I was still very annoyed but it was a concession I would rather take than have nothing at all given.
    A bit of traffic wouldn't be a problem but when it starts stretching to 20-30 minutes then people wouldn't even come near the place and also gives a very bad impression of the area. I would say its mainly people doing errands and going to and from work. People who shop make up the numbers as well. Shopping can be done elsewhere working and errands can't.

If people can't pay €2 for a toll, there hardly going to travel onto Kilkenny or Wexford to do their shopping. The improvements on the quay are to reduce traffic, not increase it. Thus cutting down on the length of time to travel the quay.
    The two lane system was an accident waiting to happen because of no implementation of traffic laws - people double parked not even edging but taking up full lanes loomed out of nowhere. A few walkover bridges would have been an alternative idea that would be more effective in reducing deaths.

Enforce the traffic laws and don't go down the route of silly bridges that would look out of place.
    We're told that Fine Gael couldn't do anything from the opposition so why are Sinn Fein now able to do so if only they were willing? Besides he actualyl does keep bringing Waterford up.

What are Sinn Fein doing exactly? Nothing. There in opposition. Most of their policies don't hold up to scrutiny and this is well known. There a dead end party that's going nowhere fast. They need to look at themselves and reform but I think there is more to it than that.

Can anyone explain to me why tourism is the new buzz word and solution to the country's problems. It was renewable energy and building infrastructure that was going to sort it out... now that we no longer have any disposable income left, now its tourists from the U.S. who do.

Any and all potential avenues should be explored. Tourism and Ireland is pretty big, and could be further developed. Waterford being the oldest city with a lot on offer should have been doing what there doing now in the boom. Instead, they just let Waterford Crystal pull the people and hope the manufactures stayed loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

the way i look at it, the govt is pretending to tackle the main problem in Waterford, unemployment. Their strategy is clearly not working and changing the name of WIT to Tech Uni will not change a thing unless actual changes are made.
    A few mill for upgrade of VT paths (fire station, flood) is all very welcome and will benefit the city in terms of tourism but we need jobs, the high quality jobs being parachuted into Galway,Cork and Dublin. Or at least give us the tools to fight on an even level with those other places, eg IDA regional office, proper investment in WIT. the annoucement of 200 in Nypro and 75 in Glanbia is a sad indictment of the supposed IDA concentrating on the SE, tackling the jobs crisis tactic, are we being pushed at all? yes, apparently there has been more visits but how much are they pushing here. Deasy was on about a special rate the IDA gives companies in the West, we deserve and need that rate more.

To sum up, yes some positives there, they are minor though and need to be backed up by proper job creating initiatives. (we need to do our bit too by spending our time and money in the city centre, helping to create business and vibrancy)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Max Powers wrote: »
    the way i look at it, the govt is pretending to tackle the main problem in Waterford, unemployment. Their strategy is clearly not working and changing the name of WIT to Tech Uni will not change a thing unless actual changes are made.
    A few mill for upgrade of VT paths (fire station, flood) is all very welcome and will benefit the city in terms of tourism but we need jobs, the high quality jobs being parachuted into Galway,Cork and Dublin. Or at least give us the tools to fight on an even level with those other places, eg IDA regional office, proper investment in WIT. the annoucement of 200 in Nypro and 75 in Glanbia is a sad indictment of the supposed IDA concentrating on the SE, tackling the jobs crisis tactic, are we being pushed at all? yes, apparently there has been more visits but how much are they pushing here. Deasy was on about a special rate the IDA gives companies in the West, we deserve and need that rate more.

To sum up, yes some positives there, they are minor though and need to be backed up by proper job creating initiatives. (we need to do our bit too by spending our time and money in the city centre, helping to create business and vibrancy)

I don't believe its the government who are forcing companies to setup in particular areas. If that was the case, Kilkenny & Wexford would be booming compared to Waterford as there is cabinet influence. The government strategy may not be giving us results, for sure, but at least some effort is being made with at least two strategies in addition to an increase in visits by the IDA. Plus, there looking to work on a new building on the Cork Road which may boost things a bit more.

In other news, some (without foundation to be fair) say that our TDs are doing absolutely nothing and just do what they are told. I heard Paudie Coffey mention on Vincent Browne last night that he was labelled as being part of a 'dirty dozen' and are challenging policies and so on rather than just doing what he was told.

He said himself that he isn't there to 'push buttons' (in reference to an article from a FG back bencher TD who claims that's all they really do) and that they will be lobbying and making their voices heard through the parlimentary party.

This was the article anyway which suggested Paudie was part of this 'dirty dozen';
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-dirty-dozen-who-wont-show-up-and-shut-up-29470858.html

There was an article about a revolt within Fianna Fail over the leadership and a clique. Media is in full swing of silly season alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Sully wrote: »

Kilkenny is doing a lot better than Waterford is in terms of alocal economy without state support or without Phil Hogan, and there can be nodenying that. Always did, prior to this government. I'm not sure how inheritingthe hinterlands will see Waterford going from rags to riches, or at leasthelping.

Any chance of providing any evidence to support this claim.Because I contend it is pure BS. And if you can’t back it up it is nothing but a slur on Waterford and its people. Show us all the facts and figures that show Kilkenny is doing better than Waterford without state support and for how long .Now you might try and portray this as some personal attack and say somethinglike “this contradicts what I know about myself” and so on so forth and refuseto debate on those grounds. But the fact is if you can’t do this then all this proves is that you will say absolutely anything to deflect attention away from FG including knocking your own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I don't want to get involved in the usual ding dong of pro and anti government on this thread but I would like to make a point.

Waterford is certainly at a disadvantage because of no minister and yes we would do better if we had one.

Leaving that aside a lot of our problems are internal caused by cosy cartels and cliques and fairly useless councillors ( from all parties).

1. Cartels and cliques, a hamstrung Chamber of Commerce ( dominated by vested interest of a handful of members ) a Port at odds with City Council ( objecting to planning permission), a mis-managed airport ( similar board members to Port and Chamber), a cartel of shops dealing with cruise liner customers and so on. Basically this city is full of vested interests that are only concerned with lining their own pockets.

2. Useless Councillors : Some examples , not one attended meeting in Tower hotel with senior government ministers citing clashing times with their meeting. Not telling people that they started and finished early because of good weather and could have attended meeting. Not one councillor attending meeting with retailers and representative from rates office. Only 5 out 15 attending meeting of City Centre Business Group and Council despite the group representing 150 retailers.

Personally I believe that we have major problems in Waterford but everyone finds it easier to blame bogeymen in Dublin or Kilkenny. Again that is not to say that we don't have problems there but we need to get our own house in order as well.

• Advertisement

jad2007 wrote: »
    I don't want to get involved in the usual ding dong of pro and anti government on this thread but I would like to make a point.

Waterford is certainly at a disadvantage because of no minister and yes we would do better if we had one.

Leaving that aside a lot of our problems are internal caused by cosy cartels and cliques and fairly useless councillors ( from all parties).

1. Cartels and cliques, a hamstrung Chamber of Commerce ( dominated by vested interest of a handful of members ) a Port at odds with City Council ( objecting to planning permission), a mis-managed airport ( similar board members to Port and Chamber), a cartel of shops dealing with cruise liner customers and so on. Basically this city is full of vested interests that are only concerned with lining their own pockets.

2. Useless Councillors : Some examples , not one attended meeting in Tower hotel with senior government ministers citing clashing times with their meeting. Not telling people that they started and finished early because of good weather and could have attended meeting. Not one councillor attending meeting with retailers and representative from rates office. Only 5 out 15 attending meeting of City Centre Business Group and Council despite the group representing 150 retailers.

Personally I believe that we have major problems in Waterford but everyone finds it easier to blame bogeymen in Dublin or Kilkenny. Again that is not to say that we don't have problems there but we need to get our own house in order as well.

Fair points, fair play.

You've raised some interesting points here and I would agree with much of it. However are we somehow unique in that regard? From what I have seen on the KK forum they have no great love for their retailers and have made almost identical criticizms.In fact they criticize their retailers for preventing Tesco from setting up shop. At least we are not in that position The same could be said in Dublin. You just have to look at the Luas which was built on two seperate lines to appease retailers.

I agree that our councillors are by and large useless. But again are we unique there? One of the problems in Ireland is we use the locals to warn off the government which is understandable. But instead of voting for someone who has some vision we just vote the oppositiion in because they are the opposition. Waterford City Council itself is fairly progressive. They have removed traffic from much of the City centre over the last two decades and I think the plan to reduce traffic on the quay is a good plan. I personally think it could have been doen better but its a step in the right direction.

But the major issue is job creation and that is co-ordinated at a national level. There is a bizzare situaton where the IDA are seemingly incapable of delivering quality jobs to the South East that defies logic. We've been previously told that road access was the problem. Yet when that is resolved there we then get told we need a University. Yet Paypal have no issue setting up in Dundalk without this crucial University. So you can only come to the conclusion that it is inertia on the part of the IDA. Yet as an incentive for the St Andrew agreement the Irish government AGREED to direct 40000 IDA backed jobs to the North. Yet 1000 jobs are impossible for Waterford. As I said it just does not add up. We hear "excuses" such as "we can't force them. I beg to differ.

I would also respectfully disagree that we are creating bogeymen of Kilkenny and Dubin. I don't hear Dublin much in the arguements and criticism of Phil Hogan/Brendan Howlin is not criticizm of Kilkenny/Wexford. We are in an unprecedented situation in Ireland and if ever we need a coherent national strategy it is now. Yet we have our politicians from neighbouring counties pulling the same stunts as FF did during the boom. This is a fair Cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

So from that we can deduce that we have:

* Useless councillors (not all but in the main, particularly Labour/FG as they're in power).

* A minority of business people with agendas (no arguments there).

* An airport starved of funding - not mismanaged as you accuse them of.

There are indeed bogeymen. Biggest one being Phil Hogan, who appears to be driving a bulldozer through this City. Ably assisted by Howlin, and the people representing these two parties on the City Council.

Finally, the performance of our Government TDs is abysmal. Truly. They have stood by and watched:

* Our City Status being completely undermined.

* Our Hospital being dismantled before our eyes.

* A VEC being stripped and moved to Wexford.

* The pledge for Waterford University being reneged on.

And all this while our reps sit on their hands. Fair play? A kick in the bollix sounds more like it. It is incredible - in this day and age; for all the education - to watch educated people sucked into blind party allegiance.

And where, precisely, has that blind party allegiance gotten this City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Not getting involved in the ding dong either but would add a few points,

We do not have suitable up to standard factory/office space, what we do have is 1970's asbetos ridden old style factories, IDA have gone to tender on a new 2500 m2 as I write , but this is a large drawback.

Howlin and Hogan are asset stripping from us, but this is the nature of Irish politics , we will do it to them if we get the power in the future!

wellboytoo wrote: »

We do not have suitable up to standard factory/office space, what we do have is 1970's asbetos ridden old style factories, IDA have gone to tender on a new 2500 m2 as I write , but this is a large drawback.

Same can be said for large retail space.
    Howlin and Hogan are asset stripping from us, but this is the nature of Irish politics , we will do it to them if we get the power in the future!

Nature of Irish politics indeed but what have they stripped from us? You can't really argue our City Status as it hasn't benefited Kilkenny or Wexford. The VEC was the most obvious because it benefited Wexford.

In other positive news for Waterford, direct from the government, Minister Leo Varadkar (same Minister that stripped Galway of its funding to help run the airport and keep it here in Waterford) has recommended unfreezing the grant given to Waterford to purchase the lands to extend the runway. This is a huge step for the airport and a very positive indication and commitment to the airport by the government yet again for our airport.
    Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has recommended unfreezing grant funding which he said will significantly enhance the chances of the airport obtaining a replacement for the Waterford London air service. Grant funding for the purchase of these lands was originally approved by the Department in November 2011. However this was frozen, following the decision by Aer Arann to discontinue all flights last January. Waterford County Council can now proceed with Compulsory Purchase Order of lands for a runway end safety area. The acquisition of the 18 acres is considered crucial to achieving compliance with safety regulations because a runway end safety area needs to extend directly into this property.The County Council are confident that within a matter of months Waterford Airport will be able to commence work. Funds will also have to be raised by the airport.Waterford Fine Gael Deputy John Deasy says this move is the culmination of months of work.He says it's expected that the airport will be able to raise the required private funding.And Deputy Deasy says everyone knows how critically important the airport is for the region.

Source: http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/186888-huge-progress-made-in-securing-an-extension-to-the-runway-at-waterford-airport.html

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »

If this is the case and I am not saying it isn't then the answer to that problem is the office space should be built. And if its not being built then it is becuase the IDA and the government do not have the interest in providing jobs. I also do not accept it is the case because there is no end to factories and businesses in Ireland who have had facilities built after jobs announcements were made. Specifically Intel, Dell, Microsoft and Google. So this is not really a problem. Who is saying this is the case? It sounds like this is another excuse not do do something to be honest. Galway had none of these things and yet wha do you see now.

As for the second point. When did we ever assett strip Wexford,Kilkenny or Clonmel? Cullen certainly didn't do it. Deasy Snr. didn't do it. The South East was a net beneficiarry of jobs funding when Cullen was there. Their hospital services were not assett stripped just to suit Waterford. Anything that happened was part of a plan that matched what was happening in other regions for once. If Waterford wasn't there it would not have happened at all. Undere this Regime the VEC was assett stripped.WRH was pilferred, the regional sructures have been finally killed to suit Wexford and Kilkenny (because the can't domoinate it with their smaller urban centres) and the City status is gone (Thank you Sully for finally admitting this!). The reason for this is because the parity of Esteem with our other cities is a good presentation or marketting benefit which should not be underestimated. Waterford has been attacked this way because when it comes to investment the likes of Howlin and Hogan they think that if Waterford is reduced to another mere county then it gives them equal advantage.Well it doesn't. And finally on your second point. Why should this be acceptable? This practice can easily be changed with legislation. But we have had none just like we have had no banking inquiry and why planning investigations are being shutdown. Here is some light reading that will explain why Phil Hogan should have been sacked ages ago and this is only a sample believe me.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/26/had-your-phil-yet/

As for the IDA. They have addmitted themselves they incentivise some regions over others which is something else we should not accept

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/800-jobs-on-the-way-claims-embattled-ida-167669.html.

So who do we blame for all of this? Well as Enda said when he was on the other side of the Dail. "The Buck stops here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully are you sure that the land is for extending the runway?

I'm fully open to correction but as far as I know, that land is for an overrun area and not really to do with an extension.

I'm growing so weary of this thread. I loathe the fact that we're corralled into a corner of the forum so nobody will see the discussion that involves us all being told essentially we're imagining things.

We're going around in circles in this fabricated little 'discussion' area trying to argue the obvious.

My city is being economically destroyed around me and I'm not going to sit here and attempt to be excited by courthouse extensions, a better fire station or a something which (please do correct me) has little to do with an extension to the runway in terms of larger aircraft.

I'm sick of hearing its all grand. It's not. Time for me to bow out of this whole thing. Slán

Trotter wrote: »

I'm fully open to correction but as far as I know, that land is for an overrun area and not really to do with an extension.

I'm growing so weary of this thread. I loathe the fact that we're corralled into a corner of the forum so nobody will see the discussion that involves us all being told essentially we're imagining things.

We're going around in circles in this fabricated little 'discussion' area trying to argue the obvious.

My city is being economically destroyed around me and I'm not going to sit here and attempt to be excited by courthouse extensions, a better fire station or a something which (please do correct me) has little to do with an extension to the runway in terms of larger aircraft.

I'm sick of hearing its all grand. It's not. Time for me to bow out of this whole thing. Slán

Was always of the understanding the land purchase was for the extension of the runway from local media and discussion on Boards, but I am fully open to correction.

Anyway, awful shame your walking away from the conversation just because its not all negative and some are willing to discuss (not just me) another side to our problems. I have never denied we are struggling or have often been let down by this and current governments but I will always point out the positives. If it was announced in the morning the fire station or courthouse wasn't going ahead, or the money for the extension of the runway was refused, you (and others) wouldn't be to slow about having a go at this government and me for 'supporting' them. But all quiet when the news is good (for a change).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

This land will cover both, for the moment its for the overrun but it will also cover any future extension at the Tramore end.

loathe the fact that we're corralled into a corner of the forum so nobody will see the discussion that involves us all being told essentially we're imagining things.

Well spotted;) And it begs the question: why?:)

Welllll, there are those who try to convince you that it isn't. Heads up their own asses etc.
    I'm sick of hearing its all grand. It's not.

And that is it - in a nutshell. For all the pro-Government posturing and excusing on the previous posts.

This would be positive if applied to SE. taken from wlr site

The Mayor of Waterford City says he's confident the playing field will be levelled to enable Waterford to compete for industry. Councillor John Cummins says he's been in contact with Minister Bruton's office to ensure the South East is reclassified under the new EU Regional Aid Guidelines. He says depsite being classified as a region in need the South East hasn't received the same level of support as the the Border, Midlands and West which includes Galway.

Even more positive if the IDA grants reached West levels.

This would be positive if applied to SE. taken from wlr site

The Mayor of Waterford City says he's confident the playing field will be levelled to enable Waterford to compete for industry. Councillor John Cummins says he's been in contact with Minister Bruton's office to ensure the South East is reclassified under the new EU Regional Aid Guidelines. He says depsite being classified as a region in need the South East hasn't received the same level of support as the the Border, Midlands and West which includes Galway.

Even more positive if the IDA grants reached West levels.

I certainly wouldn't hold my breath Max. After FG's performance with WRH and the City Status? Where was Mr. Cummins then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

karl marx was right.

karl marx was right.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lanarty56

Well I think it,s safe to say that Waterford is ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

lanarty56 wrote: »
    Well I think it,s safe to say that Waterford is ****ed.

Has a bigger issue come to light?

a lot of fan fair about Cullinanes new strategy document (see munster, Waterford today and N&S for articles). Intersting one in this weeks Munster which says that the Paris based OECD said govt should invest more Waterford and the SE, citing regional imbalance etc.

You would think that would work in our favour, we have a lot of ammunition that supports our case from all sorts of sources, be nice if the govt actually took action on Cullinanes report of the OECD recommendations.

Anyway, i know its just a report and it reads like a wish list from articles i have read in national and local media but I think Cullianane deserves some credit for it. even if it is probably going to be ignored much like Richard Brutons report done a couple of years ago.

PS - not a SF fan, SF voter and to be 100% honest, i dont think this will make me vote SF but thought he deserves some kudos at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

a lot of fan fair about Cullinanes new strategy document (see munster, Waterford today and N&S for articles). Intersting one in this weeks Munster which says that the Paris based OECD said govt should invest more Waterford and the SE, citing regional imbalance etc.

You would think that would work in our favour, we have a lot of ammunition that supports our case from all sorts of sources, be nice if the govt actually took action on Cullinanes report of the OECD recommendations.

Anyway, i know its just a report and it reads like a wish list from articles i have read in national and local media but I think Cullianane deserves some credit for it. even if it is probably going to be ignored much like Richard Brutons report done a couple of years ago.

PS - not a SF fan, SF voter and to be 100% honest, i dont think this will make me vote SF but thought he deserves some kudos at least.

You would imagine that Cullinane would probably take a seat in the 2015 election the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

BVLQGTrCcAAKAce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I would really like to know what politicians mean exactly when they use words like justice and equality?

So how are Waterford Boardsies voting next week? Leaning towards a No vote on the referendum and probably a Yes on appeal court. Though I need to research it a bit more.

As usual a lot of scaremongering and misleading statements. Drive any sane person mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

a firm no to both from me.

To many loose ends and the fact that its not being debated is a complete farce.

Sully wrote: »
    So how are Waterford Boardsies voting next week? Leaning towards a No vote on the referendum and probably a Yes on appeal court. Though I need to research it a bit more.

As usual a lot of scaremongering and misleading statements. Drive any sane person mad!

Yes to the abolition of the Seanad. Anything that reduces the number of politicians can only be good. A talking, back-slapping gravy train of the worst kind.

No to another court. More bureaucracy .

Hijpo wrote: »
    a firm no to both from me.

To many loose ends and the fact that its not being debated is a complete farce.

What's wrong with freeing up the Supreme Court? Delayed Justice is No Justice as Shatter says (or whatever the way he says it)
    7upfree wrote: »
    Yes to the abolition of the Seanad. Anything that reduces the number of politicians can only be good. A talking, back-slapping gravy train of the worst kind.

So you don't feel we need another form of 'checks and balances' and something to hold the Dail accountable in some shape or form?

This article directly applies to you: http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/declan-ganley-reform-seanad-politics-referendum-1102008-Sep2013/

It is a home, to be fair, to failed politicians or retired politicians. I can't see it ever being reformed.
    No to another court. More bureaucracy .

As I said earlier, What's wrong with freeing up the Supreme Court? Delayed Justice is No Justice as Shatter says (or whatever the way he says it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

NO to both from me, its what they are not telling you that is the danger.

Advertisement