Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice Mobile B/Band

• 17-05-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I have up to 40 euro a month to spend on broadband. I don't need any "package". I have the free TV and no Landline. I want to keep it that way!

I have 02 at 15GB per month at mo. -(20E per month). Good service. Live in Meath.
    I need more than 15 GB ..running out near to end cycle end.

Had 3 , for years again 20 per month @15GB,not as reliable as 02.

Contract with 02 up next month. Any advice that I could get greatly received!

ps I see Vodafone doing 10GB for 20 a month seems very expensive!

Thanks a Mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I'm with Meteor near mullingar and pay €25 pm for 30gig. I get good reception and am happy with service. You can get the device on trial for a week to check the signal quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ShaunC wrote: »
    I'm with Meteor near mullingar and pay €25 pm for 30gig. I get good reception and am happy with service. You can get the device on trial for a week to check the signal quality.

ah , thanks a mill. That's exactly what I was going to go for. Can I ask are you with them long? They get an awful stick on boards which is off putting!

Do you have to go on line or into shop to get the 30 GB? Have you used it in evenings when everyone gets come ....congestion an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I'm with them 9 or 10 months on an 18 month contract. I got it in store. Other than 2 days when there was countrywide outage I've never had a problem, the ping can be between 60~200 and speed between 1~3 meg. I can stream tv at times and have not noticed any drop in speeds at peak times. BUT it will depend on where you live and how many people are using meteor in your area. As I said get it for a week trial and find the best spot in the house for signal, and if you're not happy lever brothers will give you your money back:D
    I have tried O2, vodafone, 3 and meteor, and meteor was the best.

I'm with them 9 or 10 months on an 18 month contract. I got it in store. Other than 2 days when there was countrywide outage I've never had a problem, the ping can be between 60~200 and speed between 1~3 meg. I can stream tv at times and have not noticed any drop in speeds at peak times. BUT it will depend on where you live and how many people are using meteor in your area. As I said get it for a week trial and find the best spot in the house for signal, and if you're not happy lever brothers will give you your money back:D

And that's fab cheers ! I live in Enfield . It states Enfield is covered but the auld congestion is a worry! I will do as you advise try it for the week .... Thanks again

And that's fab cheers ! I live in Enfield . It states Enfield is covered but the auld congestion is a worry! I will do as you advise try it for the week .... Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

[QUOTE=2012paddy2012;84666036
    ps I see Vodafone doing 10GB for 20 a month seems very expensive!
    [/QUOTE]

Thought about Fixed Wireless instead? Much better than a mobile "broadband" package.

The brother got a bill for e150 last month on his mobile package...long story.

A few good FWA providers around you...

Just at the end of my weeks trial. Definitely very good reliable service .... Have to return or keep tomorrow ..... I think I will hang on to it ...... Hopefully it keeps going as good for next 18 months ! Thanks again for your advice. (Meteor 30 GB )

Paddy

Just at the end of my weeks trial. Definitely very good reliable service .... Have to return or keep tomorrow ..... I think I will hang on to it ...... Hopefully it keeps going as good for next 18 months ! Thanks again for your advice. (Meteor 30 GB )

Paddy

Long may it last...a word to the wise do not tell your neighbours

bealtine wrote: »

Well I doe t more time on the phone with 3 complaining about the poor service when I had their mobile B/B no call to meteor as yet! Fingers crossed '

just to be aware. I got this. It works from tues when I got it absolutely brilliantly ...however on the following Monday a day before the trial was to end it went to 2 g ...no service ...absolutely crap...god Im so grateful that it happened !!! got rid...Im in meath ...just in case anyone else trying it out ...be aware!!!

• Advertisement

how right you turned out to be!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭will3001

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can suggest the best mobile broadband for Ballymore Eustace, both three and Meteor seem to be quite poor, better if you go outside but that's not really helpful..

Ta

will3001 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone can suggest the best mobile broadband for Ballymore Eustace, both three and Meteor seem to be quite poor, better if you go outside but that's not really helpful..

Ta

There's no "best" and it is debatable if it is even broadband (it's more like mobile internet), all you can do is try it out if it works fine then happy days...just do not tell your neighbours you have it as the more users in the cell area the worse the data "reception". (Basic physics)

Around Ballymore I'd suggest Wicklow Broadband http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/ or Regional Broadband http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

FWA providers don't suffer from the same problems as mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭will3001

Ok thanks, so its actually mobile rather than fixed line I'm thikning of. My wife has checked both 3 and meteor now and both have great reception outside but it drops off tha minute she walks indoors....appears she's living in a very fancy cave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

There's no "best" and it is debatable if it is even broadband (it's more like mobile internet), all you can do is try it out if it works fine then happy days...just do not tell your neighbours you have it as the more users in the cell area the worse the data "reception". (Basic physics)

Around Ballymore I'd suggest Wicklow Broadband http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/ or Regional Broadband http://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

FWA providers don't suffer from the same problems as mobile

A question on WBB, If the contention ratio is 20:1 and the speed is 8mb for the package, does this mean the best speed I could expect would be 8/20=400kbps which would work out to actually downloading at 50kBps, correct?

Advertisement