Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time to dedicate to studying maths (Higher Level Leaving Cert)?

Options
  • 17-05-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm in fifth year at the moment, and I've been getting E's/D's in maths. I know if I push myself next year that I can do better, as I don't find it difficult to understand in class.. I also don't really study maths (bad, I know!) :D

I really need the extra 25 points so I'm not dropping down!

My question is, if you want to take higher level maths for the leaving cert, is it a subject you should be studying every day? If so, for how long? And do you stick to one topic for a week or however long and then move onto the next topic or do you just revise past papers?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

It all depends on your particular aptitude for maths, but not studying won't get you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I have a natural flare for maths and have been getting A1s all my life. Even I study it more than any other subject. Its a huge course so there is a lot to cover.

I wouldn't say i study it every day, or every other day. I usually study maths in chunks where i cover 2 or 3 topics over a period of 2 days or so, But if i broke it down into every day I'd probably study it for about 30 mins to half an hour a day. I dont really use past papers but i probably will in these next 3 weeks coming up to the Leaving. Before i usually just did the exercises in the book (New Concise Project Maths)

The new Project Maths course has made it very easy to pass maths now. Most of the time they give you marks for nothing and with the amount of writing in Paper 2 its getting less like maths and more like English. Some people call it English paper 3! haha

What I think you should do for your Summer Exam is go through the book, one exercise at a time, and answer at least one question of each type eg. If an exercise has questions about the product, quotient and chain rule in it, do at least one question with the product rule, one with the quotient and one with the chain. If you get all of them right, move onto the next exercise and do the same. Otherwise, do another question.
    Cause i love maths i usually just did every 2nd question in each exercise. That way i got loads of practice doing the same type of question so i knew how to do it like the back of my hand. It also gave me the ability to recognise questions when it wasn't obvious what you had to do.

Over 6th year just study it consistently. Don't give it too much time but dont fall behind on it either. You should work at getting to a C standard cause if you do, you wont have to worry about failing

Hope this helps!

Advertisement