Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Utility

Options
  • 17-05-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a wireless card to replace my UPC USB dongle. However, I have to RMD the card. I uninstalled the drivers for the dongle and cannot find replacements online. I cant find the CD that came with the dongle. I was wondering if anyone has this CD if they could create a .iso file for me. It came with a cisco modem and a scientific atlanta dongle. I own the CD already I just can't find it, therefore this won't be piracy.

I would really appreciate this as I have tried numerous drivers from online but know that the drivers on the CD definitely work.

Thanks a million.

Comments

This one should work as it's a Ralink RT73 chip inside this device:

http://down3.driversdown.com/Network/IS_AP_STA_RT7x_D-1.3.5.0_VA-3.1.7.0_W7-4.0.3.0_RU-3.1.2.0_AU-3.0.3.0_082409_1.5.4.0_Free.exe

I don't know where you'd find the UPC branded version unless you could find someone with the install disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

segasega wrote: »
    I recently bought a wireless card to replace my UPC USB dongle. However, I have to RMD the card. I uninstalled the drivers for the dongle and cannot find replacements online. I cant find the CD that came with the dongle. I was wondering if anyone has this CD if they could create a .iso file for me. It came with a cisco modem and a scientific atlanta dongle. I own the CD already I just can't find it, therefore this won't be piracy.

I would really appreciate this as I have tried numerous drivers from online but know that the drivers on the CD definitely work.

Thanks a million.

Are these the drivers your looking for:

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/308/~/installing-wireless-usb-adapter

they have links at the bottom of the page to download, Scientific Atlanta dongle and Thomson dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Will give these a go. Cheers

Seems there two I have already tried unsuccessfully. :(

I don't know what the UPC utility does, but it works!

The UPC Wireless Utility is just a replacement for the Wireless Zero Configuration service which comes with Windows. It doesn't work on its own, it would need a driver to interact with.

• Advertisement

Well I understand that, but its whatever driver is bundled with it that I need, it clearly a certain version or something.

Well I understand that, but its whatever driver is bundled with it that I need, it clearly a certain version or something.

Do you know the device ID? Open Device Manager and it'll probably be there under Other devices. Double-click it and go to the Details tab. Select Hardware IDs from the drop down and post the result here.

It should look something like this: USB\VID_148F&PID_2573

This has been wrecking my head for days now. I tried to do a recovery but windows is not allowing it. Think I might just do a fresh install of win7 and start from there. Only question I have is, I'm installing in a ssd again, so will I have to format my other drive to show up in windows again or will it just show once I reconnect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What's the point in asking for help on a forum and then ignoring it when you get it ?!

IMO re-installing Windows is a tad drastic and you're still left with no driver for the USB dongle.

Post 8 above is a good way of finding out what the hardware is and identifying a driver for it.

Ken

Didn't actually spot that comment on my phone, will give that a go when I get home.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Do you know the device ID? Open Device Manager and it'll probably be there under Other devices. Double-click it and go to the Details tab. Select Hardware IDs from the drop down and post the result here.

It should look something like this: USB\VID_148F&PID_2573

It comes up with two
    USB\VID_148F&PID_2573&REV_0001
    USB\VID_148F&PID_2573

It comes up with two
    USB\VID_148F&PID_2573&REV_0001
    USB\VID_148F&PID_2573

Yeah, that's a Ralink RT73 chip as I thought. This one should work as it has the matching ID, update it via Device Manager's Update Driver option:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/rt73.zip

You should be able to configure it via Windows once it's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

As posted above it comes back as a RaLink RT73. The drivers linked to should work !

Ken

Yeah, that's a Ralink RT73 chip as I thought. This one should work as it has the matching ID, update it via Device Manager's Update Driver option:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23270031/rt73.zip

You should be able to configure it via Windows once it's installed.

"Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"

The issue must lay elsewhere so?

What exactly is wrong? Is it showing up in Device Manager as an RT73 wireless card or an unknown device?

What exactly is wrong? Is it showing up in Device Manager as an RT73 wireless card or an unknown device?

It's showing up as a wireless device but it won't pick up the signal for it. It's fine on the laptop with the same dongel.

It's showing up as a wireless device but it won't pick up the signal for it. It's fine on the laptop with the same dongel.

If the laptop is running the same OS you could steal the driver from it. Open C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository and search for rt73. If it comes back with anything, then copy that entire folder to a flash drive (right-click and choose Open File Location) and do a forced update in Device Manager on the machine you need it for.

If the laptop is running the same OS you could steal the driver from it. Open C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository and search for rt73. If it comes back with anything, then copy that entire folder to a flash drive (right-click and choose Open File Location) and do a forced update in Device Manager on the machine you need it for.

Laptop is XP, Desktop is Win7 :(

Thanks for the help, I have no idea what the issue is, probably something stupid, but I have no experience with networking etc.

Still considering doing a reinstall. Any ideas about my earlier question about formatting the drive?

Any other ideas? This is really getting on my nerves now. No idea what's up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Laptop is XP, Desktop is Win7 :(

Try not to think about the operating systems, its a driver issue. As stated before the xp driver will (probably) work with win 7.
    Have you tried copying the driver yet?

Try not to think about the operating systems, its a driver issue. As stated before the xp driver will (probably) work with win 7.
    Have you tried copying the driver yet?

Only if the bit depth is the same. If the Windows 7 machine is 64-bit then it won't.

Ye the Win7 is 64 and the XP is 32. This is an odd one.

Ok guys, thanks for all the help, unfortunately I still can't get it working. Tried every driver etc. Is there anyway I might if unistalled some file on windows that it needs or something. Basically the computer sees its there, but the icon on the taskbar wont pickup any signal, even though my netbook and iphone can get it in the same room.

Have you tried rolling back the driver in device manager?
    device manager>right click on network adapter>properties>driver>roll back driver

Have you tried rolling back the driver in device manager?
    device manager>right click on network adapter>properties>driver>roll back driver

It won't allow it. Is that because I uninstalled it before?

Is there any configuration I have to do in windows after the driver is installed. It usually just worked automatically once it was installed.

computer>properties>advanced system settings>hardware tab>device installation settings>allow to install automatically and reboot

computer>properties>advanced system settings>hardware tab>device installation settings>allow to install automatically and reboot

Its already set that way. I just have a feeling its not a driver issue at this stage, but have no idea what it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Ok guys, thanks for all the help, unfortunately I still can't get it working. Tried every driver etc. Is there anyway I might if unistalled some file on windows that it needs or something.

A file could be missing from Windows, for whatever reason. Looking at your previous comments you'd like to stay away from a reinstall, but sometimes its needed. I don't like reinstalling myself, but sometimes its necessary.

You could try a Repair installation in the case there are critical files missing to see if that puts things in order.

Advertisement