Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using Apple TV ? Views ?

• 17-05-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone using Apple TV ? I am thinking of getting one and I am wondering what I can do with it apart from subscribe to Netflix and buying stuff from Apple.

Thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Yup, it's brilliant, one can download torrents, load it into ITunes and view it on the apple tv, so much easier than watching on the laptop, or so I hear..... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Depends really. I only use it the odd time but i'm sure others use it more often. Very handy for AirPlay mirroring if you have any iOS devices or a compatible Mac. What will really make it a must have product for me is when and if Apple open an App Store for developers to add their own apps. Until then it's limited with what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

I have the second-to-last generation model. I have it Jailbroken which allows me to stream my media from my PC without having to use iTunes.

I have a US account which allows me to subscribe to US Netflix (older TV shows and Movies, some exclusives) as well as Hulu Plus (ad supported latest episodes from some US networks). Both services dont need a jailbreak, but do need US accounts/Credit Cards and a VPN service. I use www.playmo.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

kaerobe wrote: »
    I have the second-to-last generation model. I have it Jailbroken which allows me to stream my media from my PC without having to use iTunes.

I have a US account which allows me to subscribe to US Netflix (older TV shows and Movies, some exclusives) as well as Hulu Plus (ad supported latest episodes from some US networks). Both services dont need a jailbreak, but do need US accounts/Credit Cards and a VPN service. I use www.playmo.tv

I use tunlr.net no need for jailbreak and all you need to change is DNS and best of all it's free. I love hulu+, found greatest American hero on it have not seen it since I was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Great - thanks guys ! though it doesn't seem to add up to a heck of a lot .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Piliger wrote: »
    Great - thanks guys ! though it doesn't seem to add up to a heck of a lot .....

Just keep in mind there is no jailbreak for atv 3!! Only second generation can be jailbroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

kaerobe wrote: »

I thought I heard rumblings that a VPN isn't required for Netflix/Hulu on the ATV, the US iTunes account will suffice and will think you are a US customer from that?? Maybe I'm dreaming? Handy now that both Netflix and Hulu let you subscribe via your iTunes account, so if you get your hands on some US iTunes vouchers you can easily subscribe to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dman001 wrote: »
    I thought I heard rumblings that a VPN isn't required for Netflix/Hulu on the ATV, the US iTunes account will suffice and will think you are a US customer from that?? Maybe I'm dreaming? Handy now that both Netflix and Hulu let you subscribe via your iTunes account, so if you get your hands on some US iTunes vouchers you can easily subscribe to them!

I think a US itunes account will be fine on its own if you want to get US content from the itunes store (also setting the ATV location to the US is a must i think) but i'm pretty sure for US netflix you need to change the DNS, but thats the only way i've ever done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Dman001 wrote: »

that's correct..you need both an US itunes account and a US DNS ..
    unblockus call this out on their main page..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

fox007 wrote: »
    Just keep in mind there is no jailbreak for atv 3!! Only second generation can be jailbroke

Sorry to hijack the thread but I did a search for Apple TV before starting one to ask: If I were to buy an ATV new now, could it still be jailbroken? Or are the newest ones as Apple intended for the foreseeable future, like the iPhone 4S and 5?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

milltown wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I did a search for Apple TV before starting one to ask: If I were to buy an ATV new now, could it still be jailbroken? Or are the newest ones as Apple intended for the foreseeable future, like the iPhone 4S and 5?

Only the apple TV 1 or 2 can be jailbroken. There is no jailbreak for ATV 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeah, I continued the search and found the answer I was hoping not to get. Just what it says on the tin for the latest one.

Sorry if this is taking things further off topic but; can I just add my existing movies and tv shows to itunes for streaming to ATV? Or would they need to be converted to mp4 or something first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

milltown wrote: »
    Yeah, I continued the search and found the answer I was hoping not to get. Just what it says on the tin for the latest one.

Sorry if this is taking things further off topic but; can I just add my existing movies and tv shows to itunes for streaming to ATV? Or would they need to be converted to mp4 or something first?
    Can't help you with that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

there a good product but i dont see much point to them if you have a smart tv, but good if you dont have one i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jiggers77

Piliger wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone using Apple TV ? I am thinking of getting one and I am wondering what I can do with it apart from subscribe to Netflix and buying stuff from Apple.

Thanks ...

Didn't know it could be used for Netflix! How much would they retail at?

Jiggers77 wrote: »
    Didn't know it could be used for Netflix! How much would they retail at?

They're €109 from Apple.ie. Some places charge more because they're in the shop. Better off ordering from Apple. Free delivery also.

DubDJ wrote: »
    They're €109 from Apple.ie. Some places charge more because they're in the shop. Better off ordering from Apple. Free delivery also.

Thanks for that. Love the technology behind it! I think Ill be treating myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

£84 on Amazon. Dunno what that is in Euros but it works out cheaper than buying from Apple in the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jamey wrote: »
    £84 on Amazon. Dunno what that is in Euros but it works out cheaper than buying from Apple in the UK.

That's a Marketplace item and can't be delivered to Ireland. It's £89 from Amazon, which is 104 euro, plus a bit extra for Irish VAT. Probably works out a bit more by the time your bank is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

carphone warehouse do em for 109.90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Hoe much in CompuB?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Graham wrote: »

New update is out. I have espn half working using a US Verizon account but hbogo is just a black screen sky news works as do the music and anime apps. Wanna get hbo going though. Using playmo any ideas?

Stab*City wrote: »
    New update is out. I have espn half working using a US Verizon account but hbogo is just a black screen sky news works as do the music and anime apps. Wanna get hbo going though. Using playmo any ideas?

Updated a few days ago and the only thing there for me would be Sky News. Although I'm glad they're adding more to it especially since there's still no App Store. Most of the stuff on it I don't use. I'd like to see an RTE Player or TV3 Player. I'd get a lot more use from it them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Hi,

I'm close to buying an apple tv but have an IPAD 1, Iphone 4 and Ipod Touch 4 in the house, non of which do mirroring.

The RTE player App supports AirPlay. Can anyone confirm if that is standard airplay (non-mirroring) and if so is it possible to stream the app from my IPAD 1 to an Apple TV?

Many thanks in advance for any help here.

fisab wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm close to buying an apple tv but have an IPAD 1, Iphone 4 and Ipod Touch 4 in the house, non of which do mirroring.

The RTE player App supports AirPlay. Can anyone confirm if that is standard airplay (non-mirroring) and if so is it possible to stream the app from my IPAD 1 to an Apple TV?

Many thanks in advance for any help here.

Yeah, I used to have an iPhone 4, and any app hat supports AirPlay out works. I used the RTE app a week ago with the AirPlay output (Not Mirroring) from an iPhone 5 and it worked no problem.

Many thanks for that info. Great to hear the IPAD 1 will stream the RTE Player app to it.
    One final question. How lag-free do people find streaming from a low bandwidth broadband line (3-6MB)?

fisab wrote: »
    Many thanks for that info. Great to hear the IPAD 1 will stream the RTE Player app to it.
    One final question. How lag-free do people find streaming from a low bandwidth broadband line (3-6MB)?

Not sure if you mean watching moves through the ATV or using AirPlay to stream to it from the iPhone/iPad. But with AirPlay don't really need Wifi, just the router itself to stream to the ATV. But with watching directly through the ATV itself you'll probably find it can pause to buffer. Could be fine somedays and then others could be a problem.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Not sure if you mean watching moves through the ATV or using AirPlay to stream to it from the iPhone/iPad. But with AirPlay don't really need Wifi, just the router itself to stream to the ATV. But with watching directly through the ATV itself you'll probably find it can pause to buffer. Could be fine somedays and then others could be a problem.

thanks for the reply, what I really meant is, is there good buffer control in the Apple TV for someone with an average to poor broadband service, i.e. if I want to watch a Youtube video directly using the Apple TV app, does it in general pre-cache enough to play a smooth video?

Advertisement