Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citroen dispatch timing belt.

• 17-05-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a 2006 dispatch 1.9d three weeks ago from a guy who was leaving the country. Today the timing belt broke whilst I was driving it. Does anyone know if these are an interference or non interference engine? My mechanic towed it away this evening but wont be able to take a look until early next week. I tried starting it after it lost power, not knowing that I could be causing some bad damage if its an interference engine. Seriously pissed off here, looking for a crumb of comfort and some good news :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Interference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnno1970

Not good news then. Whats the typical damage when this happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

johnno1970 wrote: »
    You might be lucky -the cam followers are made of chewing gum and when the belt breaks, so do they. A few valves will be bent and you'll have a good bill for stripping and re-building. All being usual, the pistons should be ok(might not be though) and the head - usually valves, followers and a build-up. Personally I think they are a horrible engine to rebuild, but best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It will need replacement valves and possibly valve guides at the very least. Your engine IIRC has the valves fitted vertically above the pistons so rocker/cam follower damage and cam damage as worst case scenario depending on the RPM when the belt broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

See here

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the engines not a write off then. The guy I bought it off said the belt was done at 120,000km. 138,000km on it now. Seems unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the engines not a write off then. The guy I bought it off said the belt was done at 120,000km. 138,000km on it now. Seems unlikely.

It may have been changed, but if any components weren't torqued correctly or the belt was not tensioned properly it could easily fail within 18k.

An oil or diesel leak onto the belt would also cause premature failure.

Or, he may just have been lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

These are about as interference as they come. I once took a camshaft out of one in 5 pieces. Cam caps were also all broken. Between the new cam, caps, valves, tappets and line boring of the head it all got pretty expensive!

These are about as interference as they come. I once took a camshaft out of one in 5 pieces. Cam caps were also all broken. Between the new cam, caps, valves, tappets and line boring of the head it all got pretty expensive!

I know it depends on damage done but how much am I looking at to fix this best and worse case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You will have to budget for around €1000. I think the one from my post above with the broken cam cost €1400 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

I know it depends on damage done but how much am I looking at to fix this best and worse case scenario.
    I was thinking 2.0hdi in an expert/ducato, don't know why, didn't read op properly. The 1.9 in the dispatch is worse, if that's any consolation, as it's very buried and cramped. I don't hugely envy your mechanic that job. Can you not just source a replacement engine, change the fluids and belts - would be cheaper and easier imo.

I was thinking 2.0hdi in an expert/ducato, don't know why, didn't read op properly. The 1.9 in the dispatch is worse, if that's any consolation, as it's very buried and cramped. I don't hugely envy your mechanic that job. Can you not just source a replacement engine, change the fluids and belts - would be cheaper and easier imo.
    Just have to wait and see what the mechanic says on it. Unbelievably bad luck on my part. About 500 miles driven since I bought it!

Just an update on this. My mechanic tells me the brake vacuum pump went and thats what caused the timing belt to go. The camshaft came out in three pieces, valves bent and a piston rod bent too. After weeks of trying to get things right it just isn't happening, so we've decided to go with a second hand engine replacement. How do I go about registering a new engine in this? Is there a form that needs to be sent to Shannon in order to adjust the log book. I was told a main dealer needs to verify the new engine in it. Is this correct?

Just an update on this. My mechanic tells me the brake vacuum pump went and thats what caused the timing belt to go. The camshaft came out in three pieces, valves bent and a piston rod bent too. After weeks of trying to get things right it just isn't happening, so we've decided to go with a second hand engine replacement. How do I go about registering a new engine in this? Is there a form that needs to be sent to Shannon in order to adjust the log book. I was told a main dealer needs to verify the new engine in it. Is this correct?
    Err, yeah, yeah, thats what we do when we change an engine, we tell them, yeah. Always. Ummm, well not really..

But from an insurance point of view?

But from an insurance point of view?
    Going to assume you're putting back in the same as you took out? I.E a going version of the dead unit? What you gonna tell em? The serial number? I'd guess (I'm probably wrong, but this is the way I do it) they'd go "ohh, right, well done.....".

If though, you are cramming in a V8 Hemi, you might want to give them a bell..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

I would consider myself diligent in most things but I have never thought about registering a engine number when replacing like for like not that I do many replacements usually works out that a repair is the best long term solution for cost vs reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

I replaced a engine for a customer last year, and the customer wanted it changed on the paper work, had to get a independent assessor report saying engine was same as old engine cc etc, cost over €300 also had to get form stamped by main dealer saying same, more money......

Advertisement