Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Could anybody tell me if they've seen any activity around this cab http://goo.gl/maps/0Y0GP near mountain view park?
    I'm away in Canada at the moment so i can't check for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Could anybody tell me if they've seen any activity around this cab http://goo.gl/maps/0Y0GP near mountain view park?
    I'm away in Canada at the moment so i can't check for myself.

Nope. They were putting int ducting down along by Centra and the Health Centre. Maybe that distribution cabinet and the Health Centre take a different route to the exchange, i.e. via the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 goonie76

Its really mind boggling to think how backward this country is in terms infrastructure, mobile networks and list keeps going on on….comparing UK or any other european country for that matter we wait for an year or more to absorb & adopt new stuff e.g 4G network. Ireland’s average internet speed ranks 43rd internationally, behind Lithuania, Romania and Bulgaria.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/is-ireland-living-with-a-great-broadband-myth-241405.html

The global avg fixed line broadband speed is 15MB/s and in Ireland (except Dublin) we still have 56k dial up speed and it seems many of us have to wait another decade to get a decent and consistent speed of 10MB/s throughout the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

It's shocking really how far behind we are. 8 years ago I had a 12Mb down 2Mb up connection in Rome for €42 a month, and that's all my line at the time could take. We've only recently hit those speeds in this country.

Just checked my Eircom fibre connection now and the max our line can take here in Kilpedder is 18Mb. Better than what we've got now, so I'm at least grateful for that.

Shocking the lack of coverage in Kilcoole still, given the amount of fibre lines that run the whole way through the main street!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scania46

I spoke to an eircom engineer today. He told me that Barry's bridge is all ready. Everything is installed. However, they cannot turn it on until they have an approval by the county council and that will not happen until January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Contacted sales today and was advised greystones is live but charlesland isn't..

Could be a few weeks.. I was going to switch everything, there tv doesn't look to bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

FishyTales wrote: »
    I feel your pain!
    I'm in Kilcoole, most of the village seems to be up and running bar a few houses/estates off of sea road.

The cabinets are in but for some reason not all of the houses are wired back to them. I haven't seen any Eircom staff or sub contractors working around the area for a while.

I was told 5 weeks ago that I should be connected within 2 weeks. It's the same old story of a fob off.

They had sales people around in May/June, pushing hard to get people to switch back to eircom, with the promise of efibre in July. Yet here we are still waiting, with no answers or date of when we'll be up and running.

Well done eircom!!

Same for me. Live on the sea road and cant get it either. Everytime I ring I am told another couple of weeks etc. I can't understand how they dont have a better plan of the rollout. Like a list of cabinets and expected date of activation not just a useless map with the whole area coloured green.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Banta wrote: »
    It's shocking really how far behind we are. 8 years ago I had a 12Mb down 2Mb up connection in Rome for €42 a month, and that's all my line at the time could take. We've only recently hit those speeds in this country.

Just checked my Eircom fibre connection now and the max our line can take here in Kilpedder is 18Mb. Better than what we've got now, so I'm at least grateful for that.

Shocking the lack of coverage in Kilcoole still, given the amount of fibre lines that run the whole way through the main street!

And, I bet they don't have a "broadcast tax" in Italy! Typical of Irish governments and service providers. High on demands low on delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Honestly! wrote: »
    And, I bet they don't have a "broadcast tax" in Italy! Typical of Irish governments and service providers. High on demands low on delivery.

you obviously did a lot of research into this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#Italy

We have had two Eircom vans down at Barry's bridge today. I spoke to one of the engineers yesterday, who was connecting up fibreoptic cables at the time. He said we would not have fibreoptics until next summer. Loads of work still to be done, he said. When I pointed out that they already have it working in Greystones, he said, he was not a local man.

I get the feeling from talking to Eircom staff that they do not really know what is going on. Bit of a mushroom company. You know, keep them in the dark and throw in a bit of **** no and then.

• Advertisement

Scania46 wrote: »
    We have had two Eircom vans down at Barry's bridge today. I spoke to one of the engineers yesterday, who was connecting up fibreoptic cables at the time. He said we would not have fibreoptics until next summer. Loads of work still to be done, he said. When I pointed out that they already have it working in Greystones, he said, he was not a local man.

I get the feeling from talking to Eircom staff that they do not really know what is going on. Bit of a mushroom company. You know, keep them in the dark and throw in a bit of **** no and then.

They probably don't have fibre blown through the ducts all the way up to Delgany or that cabinet. I wonder if anybody has ordered in the Delgany area or has had an installation. :S

Sure they only started putting in sub-ducting for the Health Centre about 2/3 weeks ago. The guys who were doing it had no clue about what I was talking about when I asked them about the cabinet near our estate. Unfortunately, they are all not clued in on each location, tasks etc, that are or will be done.

The strange thing was, the cable the fellow was working with had a black plastic cover. I thought fibreoptic was red or is that only the ducting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The stuff I saw them pulling through the ducts was an orange colour. I also saw a KN networks guy yesterday working on Charlesland Wood cab.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

The strange thing was, the cable the fellow was working with had a black plastic cover. I thought fibreoptic was red or is that only the ducting?
    astrofluff wrote: »
    The stuff I saw them pulling through the ducts was an orange colour. I also saw a KN networks guy yesterday working on Charlesland Wood cab.

This is the fibre cable that is blown through the orange (sub-ducting) which is inside the ducting (black in colour).

It appears something similar to this.

What the fellow was working with was a black plastic with many multi-coloured cables inside. Not to different from the old type. He was putting them into the small green box. Could he have been connecting the copper from the large box to the small box, which I presume receives the fibreoptic.

Nothing what you show on site.

What the fellow was working with was a black plastic with many multi-coloured cables inside. Not to different from the old type. He was putting them into the small green box. Could he have been connecting the copper from the large box to the small box, which I presume receives the fibreoptic.

Nothing what you show on site.

Well I don't know about the connection between both cabinets as much as some professionals do on the Broadband thread but It sounds like it could be internally wiring rather than a connection to the Exchange (behind Greystones Postal Service).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

Hi All,

Anyone in Charlesland Park been connected to eFibre yet? I have the stock-standard broadband from Eircom at the moment (able to get 5Mb d/l and 0.5Mb u/l).

Does anyone know which of the cabinets we'd be terminated on, and how much this might affect maximum speed (from the much hoped-for 70Mb)?

Andy

The Charlesland Park cab has not yet been installed. Hopefully once the rest of the cabs in the Wood, Court, Crescent and Seaborne View are live you might see activity.

Suggest contacting the Management Company to see what the hold up is on getting the cab installed.

My neighbor was talking to Eircom yesterday about his account. When he asked what the story about the efibre was, he was told that Eircom had to have planning permission from Wicklow county council for the little green box and the little greybox. They had put up the boxes without planning permission. This is what is holding it up.

I can only wonder if we are going to have the same problems with Irish Water once the council is not responsible for the water. Maybe we have to hire a consultant to get the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

Hmm ok, so that being the case I'm definitely not a happy camper ... I signed over when the Eircom man came by my house, gave me a flyer and told me that I'd be connected in days ... That was something like November ... :-o

Will call them again on Monday to try and find more too.

Thanks!

[Edit: typos]

• Advertisement

barnesa wrote: »
    Hmm ok, so that being the case I'm definitely not a happy camper ... I signed over when the Eircom man came by my house, gave me a flyer and told me that I'd be connected in days ... That was something like November ... :-o

Will call them again on Monday to try and find more too.

Thanks!

[Edit: typos]

Never buy from the door sales person. They'd sell you a camel if they could.

Cabinets for this purpose do not require planning permission: SI600:2001, Class 31 (f) subject to conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

efibre up and running in my house in Kilcoole for the last month 70MB. great

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

No sign of any eFibre near me for the foreseeable.
    In the mean time keen to replace the Eircom provided dsl router (Zyxel) with a dual band 802.11ac router to help improve in-house wireless performance. Kit in questions is the Asus 1750 which in addition to a couple of usb port has 4 LAN side and 1 WAN (DSL) side copper (rj45) interfaces

Question - if/when fibre installed will I still be able to use this dsl router instead of Eircom's (fibre] DSL router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

legrand wrote: »
    No sign of any eFibre near me for the foreseeable.
    In the mean time keen to replace the Eircom provided dsl router (Zyxel) with a dual band 802.11ac router to help improve in-house wireless performance. Kit in questions is the Asus 1750 which in addition to a couple of usb port has 4 LAN side and 1 WAN (DSL) side copper (rj45) interfaces

Question - if/when fibre installed will I still be able to use this dsl router instead of Eircom's (fibre] DSL router?

you'd still need a VDSL modem - might be possible to use the Eircom box for this if it can be put in bridge mode. Alternatively use the Asus as access-point/router and point it at the Eircom router to use as a gateway (turning off the wifi on the Eircom router).

We need to find out why our own house and others can't avail of the service when there are (new) houses and old houses 50-100m from us who can avail of it. I was put through After Sales, when I was speaking to eFibre Sales because the girl couldn't help me out, and the guy said that it is distanced based...basically stated that they may plan to deploy a cabinet nearer to us. But only when I got off the phone did I remember my friend's family home around the corner also can't get it and it's 150-200m away from it.

I need to speak to a tech if there are any around Greystones today please let me know on here asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

@Red_Bairn any chance you can ask them when Killincarrig roundabout is going live ;) Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Its a joke, I have cancelled my sky because when I originally checked on eircoms website efiber was available in charlesland.
    I wanted to switch everything over. Now theres no exact time frame but they say it could be a few weeks. By the way would you like me to sign you up for our existing broadband and phone.... NO THANKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Any new connections this year yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

Shazerina wrote: »
    Any new connections this year yet?

My next door neighbour is getting Vodafone fibre installed today (Sunday!!)
    I'll let you know what speeds are as soon as I find out...... Edit: He has just arrived and we are letting him in to do the job. Garden Village Kilpedder BTW!
    Funny Eircom or Vodafone haven't been on to us to sell it yet!!

UPDATE:
    Speedtest done by neighbour... 34megs download and 17 megs upload speed. Compared to my standard broadband of 3.3down and 0.32 upload!

Advertisement