Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

I'm in Charlesland Court.
    Got my eircom efibre and tv packages installed yesterday.
    I am a very happy camper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

any fibre broadband is better than that little stick you carry around ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

How does the tv package compare with UPC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Is the TV service stable (no dropouts, glitches etc)?
    Any delay in switching channels? How many channels can you record simultaneously?
    Sorry about all the questions - just haven't seen any postings from eVision customers:)

The new cabinets for GRS1_066 and GRS1_052 in Charlesland Park were installed today.

ESB is now working on the power feed - maybe that means Charlesland Park is about to be switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

There's no UTV - but there IS TV3
    There's no SKY basic channels - no Sky news, No Sky sports news, No Sky One, No Sky Two.
    There are extra channels that UPC couldn't provide (Yesterday, Food, Eden, Nat Geo Wild etc...)
    On balance, its probably about the same but without Sky Sports News...NO SKY SPORTS NEWS...not even as an add-on.....
    Apart from that....signal os good...no glitches...and the TV guide works...pretty much to infinity and beyond!
    Broadband running at 55Mbs when I last checked.

Have multiroom viewing.
    Can only record with one box, but can record either 3 or 4 programmes at the same time.

Nice new user interface - the UPC one was becoming a bit tired.

The guy installing it told me that UPC won't be renewing their MMDS licence next year, so if they haven't got proper cable installed in Charlesland by then, there'll be no UPS TV service.
    Anyone confirm this??

The Wikipedia article on MMDS actually mentions UPC license in Ireland, citing a Comreg decision as its source.
    The existing licences were to expire 18 April 2014 but Comreg, the Irish communications regulator, extended the licences for a further 2 years to 18 April 2016 at which date they will expire together with all associated spectrum rights of use.

@birdwatcher - I presume you meant to title your post eVision - not UPC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

ESB is now working on the power feed - maybe that means Charlesland Park is about to be switched on.

KNS are working on the Cab as I type. Popped over and said hi. Seems he's working to get it completed today so that it'll be marked as available for Monday morning. Fingers crossed that it'll be live this week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

I spoke with Eircom today - they advised that the Greystones exchange is being worked on right now and that they expect Charlesland Park to be available for eFibre by the end of March :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

barnesa wrote: »
    I spoke with Eircom today - they advised that the Greystones exchange is being worked on right now and that they expect Charlesland Park to be available for eFibre by the end of March :-D

Apparently there seems to be some work done for those being affected on ADSL as well on March 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

^^^
    What is the 'work' exactly? Could they be possibly be enabling VDSL infrastructure within the exchange to cover those households directly connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

legrand wrote: »
    ^^^
    What is the 'work' exactly? Could they be possibly be enabling VDSL infrastructure within the exchange to cover those households directly connected?

I've been reliably informed that won't happen (anywhere, not just Greystones) until the end of the year at the earliest :(

Somebody, can't remember who, informed me that the next stage of development for the Eircom infrastructure will be happening to Greystones over the next year (that might have been late last year that I was told that).

All very vague, lol.

But I would prefer any major changes for the exchange to happen asap because it might just be the reason why we can't connect to the eFibre service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

My eFibre order update...

Mon 3rd March - I ordered my eFibre online and received an email thanking me for the order and saying that I would be contacted in a few days etc., etc

Tue 11th March - I contacted Eircom on the chat line not having heard from them. Their online agent confirmed that an eFibre account had been set up and that it should progress. I agreed to wait another few days

Wed 19th March - contacted support by telephone but the agent could find no trace of order - she could not search by address only by order number (which I don't have) or name. Could take up to 10 working days, she said so I agreed to wait a while longer.

Not very impressed :-(

The situation with our household's connection and other's in our estate:
    Right - the situation with your line is that it is what is known as "direct fed" - this means the line runs from the exchange directly to your house without going through a cabinet at all.

This is why some of the folks around you can get VDSL (cabinet fed) and some can not.

there are about 250,000 lines in Ireland like this so you are far from being alone.

that's the bad news.

the good news is that there are plans to launch EVDSL (Exchange launched VDSL) in the next few months - this means that you would eventually get VDSL & vectoring

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Simple enough question... but maybe not!
    Currently with Eircom, area is ready to go for fibre, am out of contract with Eircom - comparing the cost, looks like vodaphone are 5-10 yoyo per month cheaper for the same fibre package.

Anyone got any experience either way for / against switching from Eircom to vodaphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Did exactly what you're looking to do - All grand, had service throughout and no problems with Vodafone so far! - but be wary of the 30 day cancellation period that Eircom have.

If you don't give them 30 day's notice they'll charge you €20, even if you're out of contract.

Mon 3rd March - I ordered my eFibre online and received an email thanking me for the order and saying that I would be contacted in a few days etc., etc

Tue 11th March - I contacted Eircom on the chat line not having heard from them. Their online agent confirmed that an eFibre account had been set up and that it should progress. I agreed to wait another few days

Wed 19th March - contacted support by telephone but the agent could find no trace of order - she could not search by address only by order number (which I don't have) or name. Could take up to 10 working days, she said so I agreed to wait a while longer.

Fri 21st March - just received text message to say eFibre installation to take place next Thursday 27th - still no wiser to order number but :-)

jpd wrote: »

Fri 21st March - just received text message to say eFibre installation to take place next Thursday 27th - still no wiser to order number but :-)

You should contacted by the engineer a few days in advance.

• Advertisement

Anybody who is on eFibre at the moment in Greystones notice any speed increases?

Check your modem's web ui and look for it's attainable speed.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Anybody who is on eFibre at the moment in Greystones notice any speed increases?

Check your modem's web ui and look for it's attainable speed.
    Checking every day on my VF modem! Nothing so far (no vectoring SNR increase even).
    My daughter's VF fibre install is due today in Kilcoole (only ordered Monday, modem arrived Tuesday!), so I'll pester the tech with questions about when vectoring will happen in Greystones/NTMK cabinets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

fat-tony wrote: »
    Checking every day on my VF modem! Nothing so far (no vectoring SNR increase even).
    My daughter's VF fibre install is due today in Kilcoole (only ordered Monday, modem arrived Tuesday!), so I'll pester the tech with questions about when vectoring will happen in Greystones/NTMK cabinets.

Nothing in Kilcoole yet, my atainable net data rate has always being 101mb interesting to see what vectoring increases it too! then i will be calling them to bump me up from 70mb!

fat-tony wrote: »

Coolio. Our household now has to wait for Exchange VDSL. I'll move out and find a nice cosy home with a fibre connection when I find a job of course. :)

Thu 27th March - installer arrived at agreed time, but not enough room to access to existing telephone NTU - so order cancelled

Coolio. Our household now has to wait for Exchange VDSL. I'll move out and find a nice cosy home with a fibre connection when I find a job of course. :)

To Bray for UPC! :P

To Bray for UPC! :P

The funny thing is UPC is in Charlesland...but...yeah.. :D

The funny thing is UPC is in Charlesland...but...yeah.. :D

Its not proper fibre power though yet! its a Microwave link with restricted speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Its not proper fibre power though yet! its a Microwave link with restricted speed.

200Mb isn't THAT restricted...

• Advertisement

Just a quick update - tech arrived and replaced existing faceplate with new NTU, connected in alarm wires etc. Showed me 70Mb / 20Mb sync on his meter, signed for and he left. About 10-15 mins all in all. VF modem connected at 70Mb and downloaded new firmware immediately and re-booted. All good. Three elapsed days from order - well done VF order process and kn techs:D

edit - tech tells me Charlesland cabs have vectoring turned on and others should follow. Also said that Bellvue Road cab is nearly full! Serves Hillside and Heathervue.

Advertisement