Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

fat-tony wrote: »
    Just a quick update - tech arrived and replaced existing faceplate with new NTU, connected in alarm wires etc. Showed me 70Mb / 20Mb sync on his meter, signed for and he left. About 10-15 mins all in all. VF modem connected at 70Mb and downloaded new firmware immediately and re-booted. All good. Three elapsed days from order - well done VF order process and kn techs:D

edit - tech tells me Charlesland cabs have vectoring turned on and others should follow. Also said that Bellvue Road cab is nearly full! Serves Hillside and Heathervue.

I thought you were already set-up? Do you havetwo connections; home and business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Its not proper fibre power though yet! its a Microwave link with restricted speed.

Check the last 40 or so posts in the UPC thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

red_bairn wrote: »
    I thought you were already set-up? Do you havetwo connections; home and business?
    You replied to my post regarding my daughter's connection in Kilcoole;)
    It's on the NTMK exchange and took three days from order to install!
    Two wins for VF in my book:)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

@ro32 - how did you make the transition to VF without incurring the 'cancellation charge' with Eircom?
    Do you give them 30 days notice now & contact VF in a few weeks, or at the same time?...all not v clear!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

chaps

What is the vectoring on / off business. Can someone explain please.

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    chaps

What is the vectoring on / off business. Can someone explain please.
    The problem with sending high frequency signals like ADSL (basic broadband) and VDSL (fibre broadband) down telephone lines originally specified for voice communications is that they cause mutual interference. 'Phone lines were designed to carry voice signals but have now been pressed into carrying data signals at many many multiples of their intended frequencies. The cables which carry the connections to households are composed of bundles of twisted pairs of copper wires - sometimes up to two hundred pairs. High frequency signals sent from cabinet to your house on one pair can end up inducing signals in others. This is known as crosstalk and basically increases the noise in the cable and reduces the available signal to other users. Ultimately it would result in the degredation of service to all users on the cable bundle.
    Vectoring is a signalling technique used in the cabinet software and in cooperation with the modem software which reduces the crosstalk in the cables and results in an improvement of the ratio between signal and noise which ultimately benefits all users and allows the ISP to increase overall speeds. The standard fibre install was 70Mb down and 20Mb up, but with vectoring will result in ~100Mb download speeds for those closest to the cabinets and an overall speed increase for those further away and probably extending the reach of the existing service from 1.5km to over 2km.

The initial installs last year did not have vectoring included. The vectoring improvements are now being switched on in a gradual basis.

The problem with sending high frequency signals like ADSL (basic broadband) and VDSL (fibre broadband) down telephone lines originally specified for voice communications is that they cause mutual interference. 'Phone lines were designed to carry voice signals but have now been pressed into carrying data signals at many many multiples of their intended frequencies. The cables which carry the connections to households are composed of bundles of twisted pairs of copper wires - sometimes up to two hundred pairs. High frequency signals sent from cabinet to your house on one pair can end up inducing signals in others. This is known as crosstalk and basically increases the noise in the cable and reduces the available signal to other users. Ultimately it would result in the degredation of service to all users on the cable bundle.
    Vectoring is a signalling technique used in the cabinet software and in cooperation with the modem software which reduces the crosstalk in the cables and results in an improvement of the ratio between signal and noise which ultimately benefits all users and allows the ISP to increase overall speeds. The standard fibre install was 70Mb down and 20Mb up, but with vectoring will result in ~100Mb download speeds for those closest to the cabinets and an overall speed increase for those further away and probably extending the reach of the existing service from 1.5km to over 2km.

The initial installs last year did not have vectoring included. The vectoring improvements are now being switched on in a gradual basis.

He/she will probably regret asking. :D

What will they do for those of us on direct-fed lines? Surely they should be setting us up on the nearest cabinet and doing civils for each home since they'll have to do it in the future when they plan to do FTTH.

Eircom will lose out on all those direct-fed customers if ESB begin their work with Vodafone in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

G'day All,

Charlesland Park here - just ordered eFibre - some time between late last night and midday today, my landline comes up as available for eFibre!

There was a message on the order form indicating that the date is "on 30 April 2014" ... fingers crossed it comes in sooner than that!

Andy

red_bairn wrote: »
    He/she will probably regret asking. :D

What will they do for those of us on direct-fed lines? Surely they should be setting us up on the nearest cabinet and doing civils for each home since they'll have to do it in the future when they plan to do FTTH.

Eircom will lose out on all those direct-fed customers if ESB begin their work with Vodafone in the next year or so.
    I understand from reading around the other BB forums on boards that the probability is that they will put the DSLAM kit in the exchanges at some stage and connect the direct-fed lines to it. With vectoring they seem to be able to push out to 1.5km - 2km over the copper pair.
    The alternative I suppose would be to see if they could intercept your existing pair and route them to a cabinet nearer? Do you know what route your cable is taking back to the exchange?

I understand from reading around the other BB forums on boards that the probability is that they will put the DSLAM kit in the exchanges at some stage and connect the direct-fed lines to it. With vectoring they seem to be able to push out to 1.5km - 2km over the copper pair.
    The alternative I suppose would be to see if they could intercept your existing pair and route them to a cabinet nearer? Do you know what route your cable is taking back to the exchange?

Not a clue. Possibly by the laneway out of the Horseshoe on to Rathdown Road, across from St.Kevins.

Unfortunately we are 2.3km away from the exchange, so even if they do that, we're fooked. :(

• Advertisement

Looks like the main street is getting a cabinet outside Insomnia.

It wasn't on the original list. I hope they have one nearer to our household with one near St.Kevin's. There are still missing a few end route to the harbour and Garda station as well as St.Patrick's church.

Edit: Just check the Eircom Wholesale Map and there doesn't even seem to be a cabinet planned for the main street unless that map needs to be updated.

I really don't know how they are gonna work it out for those like our own household where we are on a direct fed because we are 2.3km away from the exchange so even if they have equipment in the exchange, we're screwed because VDSL is worthless at that distance. They'll need to either connect is to the nearest cabinet at the top of our estate or put in a new cabinet near to St.Kevins.

^^^
    If you zoom right in there are two (right next to one another - GRS1_039 and 040) 'planned' cabs at the entrance to the Meridian. Might be that one of these is going in across the road outside Insomnia. Clearly the town-centre is not served by the Bowe Lane cab only.

To add: I spoke to a KN chap maybe 3 months back and as far as he was concerned he thought all the fibre cabs were done for Greystones (clearly not fully in the loop) - but if the map is anything to go by there might be another cab due somewhere in town centre but nowhere else.

legrand wrote: »
    ^^^
    If you zoom right in there are two (right next to one another - GRS1_039 and 040) 'planned' cabs at the entrance to the Meridian. Might be that one of these is going in across the road outside Insomnia. Clearly the town-centre is not served by the Bowe Lane cab only.

To add: I spoke to a KN chap maybe 3 months back and as far as he was concerned he thought all the fibre cabs were done for Greystones (clearly not fully in the loop) - but if the map is anything to go by there might be another cab due somewhere in town centre but nowhere else.

Yeah, you are probably right. Maybe there wasn't a nearby power source from ESB. In some cases VDSL cabinets are 50 to 100m away from a distribution cabinet.

At the top of my head, I know there are about 6 cabinets that still have to be installed:
    • Health Centre
    • St.Patricks church
    • Thornbury (opp)
    • Same road as Thornbury, nearer to roundabout (forgot estate)
    • Windgates
    • Greystones Garda Station

:)

Given these are not the planned map where these confirmed by others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Connected this morning to Donnybrook Fair cabinet.
    3412250645.png

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Connected this morning to Donnybrook Fair cabinet.
    3412250645.png
    Are you on a 50Mb package? The speeds are probably way faster than what you are used to, but I would have thought that performance would be better. Can you post your router's DSL stats page and maybe there will be something that can be tweaked? That said, you hear stories that it can take a day or two for the modem training to settle although I was on 70Mb from the kick-off with VF.

Are you on a 50Mb package? The speeds are probably way faster than what you are used to, but I would have thought that performance would be better. Can you post your router's DSL stats page and maybe there will be something that can be tweaked? That said, you hear stories that it can take a day or two for the modem training to settle although I was on 70Mb from the kick-off with VF.

Yeah, he might need to wait for it to settle or he just lives 500m + from the cabinet.

Vectoring turned on in the Bellvue Road cabinet. Roll on 100Mb speeds shortly! - apologies red_bairn ;)

Vectoring turned on in the Bellvue Road cabinet. Roll on 100Mb speeds shortly! - apologies red_bairn ;)

*Throws arms left to right* Hurray, hurray...life is just perfect...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Spoke with vodafone delgany is due to be fibre enabled on April 9th - at which stage they will start taking order. Spoke to them about the notice period that eircom need to move over and they said they provide that notice to eircom.

Thay said the best speed i can get is 50MB - is there any particular reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 goonie76

Does anyone have an idea of when efibre will be available in holywell, kilcoole ?

Thanks

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Spoke with vodafone delgany is due to be fibre enabled on April 9th - at which stage they will start taking order. Spoke to them about the notice period that eircom need to move over and they said they provide that notice to eircom.

Thay said the best speed i can get is 50MB - is there any particular reason for this?
    It depends on your distance from the cabinet that serves your house. 70Mb is available up to about 4/500 metres and drops off after that. On actual install it may be different depending on the exact distance and quality of line. A new noise cancelling technology (vectoring) is being rolled out right at the moment which will provide for up to 100Mb for those closest to the cabinet and will improve your potential speed also.

goonie76 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of when efibre will be available in holywell, kilcoole ?

Thanks

See this post on eircom's website - http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/ETA-for-eFibre-activation-in-Holywell-Kilcoole/td-p/64103

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Basic basic question pls. Got call from VF today who I have phone internet package with offering me new state of the art broadband etc etc. I asked to call back as didnt want to get into sales pitch that i didnt know what I was talking about. Based in Woodlands, greystones. Should I sign up to new deal ? is it as good as he says ? what is it basically please ? we use ineternet as family use, kids on wifi on handhelds etc. appreciate any basic opinion or advice or explanation please. Thanks in advance.

Sasso wrote: »
    Basic basic question pls. Got call from VF today who I have phone internet package with offering me new state of the art broadband etc etc. I asked to call back as didnt want to get into sales pitch that i didnt know what I was talking about. Based in Woodlands, greystones. Should I sign up to new deal ? is it as good as he says ? what is it basically please ? we use ineternet as family use, kids on wifi on handhelds etc. appreciate any basic opinion or advice or explanation please. Thanks in advance.

If the service is undoubtedly available to you, go for it!

Edit: Added screenshot to show how many homes are available for 100Mbit/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Modem came in the post today but im still getting the same speeds (~5Mb/s) Do I have to wait for them to 'activate' it or something?

Edit: I need an engineer to install a new master socket I believe

delta214 wrote: »
    Modem came in the post today but im still getting the same speeds (~5Mb/s) Do I have to wait for them to 'activate' it or something?

Edit: I need an engineer to install a new master socket I believe
    It's not just the socket - that's to ensure you have a clean signal and that the house extensions are isolated from the VDSL signal. The technician needs to link your line at the local cabinet to give you the fibre speed.
    Is this a Vodafone or eircom modem? VF warn you not to connect before the fibre is enabled for some reason. I did anyway :D The only issue I could see was that I had to redo the port forwarding settings after the fibre install.

It's not just the socket - that's to ensure you have a clean signal and that the house extensions are isolated from the VDSL signal. The technician needs to link your line at the local cabinet to give you the fibre speed.
    Is this a Vodafone or eircom modem? VF warn you not to connect before the fibre is enabled for some reason. I did anyway :D The only issue I could see was that I had to redo the port forwarding settings after the fibre install.

You're making these end-users delirious with your jibber jabber :D

I believe in sharing :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Vodafone. And I connected it too (oops :P). The only things I was using port forwarding for I dont use at the moment so i'll leave that for future me to worry about

Advertisement