Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barnesa

G'day all,

Charlesland Park checking in - eFibre ordered online (online orders accepted as of today - 30/04/2014)! Installation date set as 8th May!

Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Got connected today. Speed tests throughout the day have been ~15mb. What gives? Cabinet is just around the corner from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

delta214 wrote: »
    Got connected today. Speed tests throughout the day have been ~15mb. What gives? Cabinet is just around the corner from me

Maybe Vodafones warning was valid eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

delta214 wrote: »
    Something very wrong, then. Can you do a print screen of your DSL status page. If not, then note your downstream / upstream settings for line rate, SNR and Attenuation and post them. Here's mine as an example:

304948.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Well, despite the warnings from Eircom to try to get me to give 30 days notice etc..., I ordered efibre with vodafone last week and it was installed today. Speed test shows 50MB down ( so 20 times faster) and 10MD up so again about 20 times faster. VF did promise 20MB upload but engineer said that would not be possible. VF said they took care of the notice period to Eircom so I was not involved with that. All quite smooth actually so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Look at the fun I am having with efibre:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057198417/1#post90122143

I read the linked post. Do you actually have a landline in your house? If so, why not try Vodafone. You're obviously not in contract as regards broadband so it might be worthwhile seeing what VF will say. At 800m you should get up to 50Mb/s download, certainly over 40Mb/s. With new technology under trial at the moment the speed is rapidly improving. I'm about 350-400m from the cab and get 70Mb and expect to see 100Mb shortly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

fat-tony wrote: »
    Do you actually have a landline in your house?

No, I refuse to get one until I can get a fibre enabled line.
    My neighbours have landlines though and I am in regular contact with them.
    If so, why not try Vodafone.

Because the lines are not fibre enabled.
    My understanding is that Eircom are the only ones that can do this and once the lines are enabled then we can shop around.
    At 800m you should get up to 50Mb/s download, certainly over 40Mb/s.

Despite the fact that the fibre cabinet is at the entrance of our estate and our phone lines already run very close to this cabinet Eircom in their infinite wisdom have connected our entire estate to an exchange that predates the bronze age. This would be understandable if our estate was built in the seventies, but it is only seven years old.

2011 wrote: »

Because the lines are not fibre enabled.
    My understanding is that Eircom are the only ones that can do this and once the lines are enabled then we can shop around.

When the cabinets are enabled any supplier can offer fibre. It's a requirement.

2011 wrote: »
    Despite the fact that the fibre cabinet is at the entrance of our estate and our phone lines already run very close to this cabinet Eircom in their infinite wisdom have connected our entire estate to an exchange that predates the bronze age. This would be understandable if our estate was built in the seventies, but it is only seven years old.

Not sure what exchange you are referring to? Is it Greystones? Greystones exchange is a full LLU exchange, which means the various suppliers of network infrastructure have their own backhaul in place. Prior to fibre I had a very stable 8Mb ADSL service from BT and later from Vodafone. Definitely not bronze-age.

Some parts of some estates in Greystones are direct connected to the exchange, rather than being routed through cabinets. There is no immediate fibre-based offering for these locations, but from other threads I understand that equipment will be put in place to provide this in the future. red_bairn is in this position where his line is direct fed from the exchange.

EDIT - I re-read your other post and I see you are based in Kilcoole, off the Sea Road if you are near the NMK1-013 cabinet. This is live.
    Would you be connected to the NMK1-022 cabinet by any chance? According to the eircom map this is not live yet. My daughter lives in Woodstock and is connected to the NKM1-010 cabinet and gets full 70Mb download from Vodafone.

EDIT EDIT - your other thread on the eircom forum was much longer and more complex than I originally thought. You are obviously in detailed and protracted correspondence with eircom and local representatives in connection with this issue already, so you are well informed as to the problem, although not being offered any solution. My sympathies!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

Incredible to think that the Cab in Beachdale is literally across the road and all of Beachdale have efibre, what line are you connected to?, On a business line, I had VF ring and offer upgrades at no extra cost, I thought all Kilcoole was connected. And such a new estate, where did they link you to?.......my condolences! :(

• Advertisement

When my efibre was installed, I asked the technician why my profile was only for 50MB, he answered that that's all my line could take..and said there is basically no difference between 50 and 70, that I was upgrading from .5MB to 50 and I would see a huge difference there. Is there much difference between 50/70 and people are now mentioning 100? How can I figure out if my line is able for higher speeds? thanks :)

When my efibre was installed, I asked the technician why my profile was only for 50MB, he answered that that's all my line could take..and said there is basically no difference between 50 and 70, that I was upgrading from .5MB to 50 and I would see a huge difference there. Is there much difference between 50/70 and people are now mentioning 100? How can I figure out if my line is able for higher speeds? thanks :)
    If you take a screenshot of your DSL statistics page from your router and post it here it will give a good indication of the capability of the line. The key numbers needed are sync speed, attenuation and SNR for downstream and upstream.

If you take a screenshot of your DSL statistics page from your router and post it here it will give a good indication of the capability of the line. The key numbers needed are sync speed, attenuation and SNR for downstream and upstream.

errr..where do i get that??, sorry totally untech here..when I go onto that 192.168 page, everything is greyed out, all I can see are device settings? thanks for any help.

Ok, well if you are not of the tech disposition you probably won't be chasing after those extra megabits of bandwidth. To be honest, I went from 8Mb to 70Mb and there might be a bit of extra "zip" in how pages load in the browser but really you are not going to notice a difference between 50Mb and 70Mb (or potentially 100Mb) in general internet browsing or email or Facebook, youtube etc. Where the extra bandwidth comes in handy is when you are downloading huge files or if multiple people in the household are streaming HD video simultaneously.

Not sure what exchange you are referring to? Is it Greystones?

No, Newtownmountkennedy.
    Eircom had to go to a lot of trouble to connect us to this and everyone else in the area to exchanges that were to be updated....:rolleyes:
    I re-read your other post and I see you are based in Kilcoole, off the Sea Road if you are near the NMK1-013 cabinet. This is live.

I know.
    This is what we have been waiting for, hence my emails to Eircom.
    We were told that once this was live we would be able to get efibre.
    Would you be connected to the NMK1-022 cabinet by any chance?

No idea, but I doubt it (as there is a plan to upgrade this exchange).
    All we know is that there is not even a vague plan to provide us with efibre at any future date despite 7 years of promises.
    You are obviously in detailed and protracted correspondence with eircom and local representatives in connection with this issue already, so you are well informed as to the problem, although not being offered any solution. My sympathies!

They have made it clear that they no interest in assisting us or answering any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

arctan wrote: »
    more good news, direct feeds have started being cabinetised in some locations in Dublin

Grand for those living close yo Exchanges but us middle men are still screwed.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Grand for those living close yo Exchanges

Not necessarily.
    As can be seen from my posts above my estate is beside a fibre enabled cabinet yet Eircom refuse to connect us to it.

@2011 - the reference to exchange in red_bairn's post is indeed the actual Greystones telephone exchange, located behind the old An Post sorting office. The copper cabinets are just locations where pair bundles are brought, prior to onward connection to the actual exchange - basically just a patching panel. What eircom has deployed is fibre to a smaller, powered cabinet containing the necessary equipment to provide a VDSL signal. These are co-located with the old copper cabinets and the appropriate cable pairs are looped through to provide the eFibre service to the home. In your case, you are directly connected to NTMK exchange without going through an intermediate copper cabinet. The copper cabinets themselves are inert and have no exchange-type function - but as you have found, you need to be connected to one. The newer fibre (VDSL) cabinets have the potential to provide a telephony service in the longer term, but are just for broadband and TV at the moment.

G'day all,

Charlesland Park is connected and working! I'm perhaps 600-800m from the cab (as the road goes!) and am sustaining 71Mb d/l and 20Mb u/l

Also - I have replaced the Eircom F1000 modem with my own FritzBox 7390.

For those interested - the settings I'm using are:
    Username = eircom @ eircom.net <-- remove the spaces of course, I'm a newbie boards users so can't post "links"!
    Password = broadband1
    VLAN ID = 10
    VPI = 8
    VCI = 35
    Encapsulation = PPPoE

The other thing worth mentioning is that I had to update the "Line Settings" to use "Maximum Stability" otherwise DSL kept losing sync. Didn't affect speed, but I've been up and running for a hour now (was renegotiating DSL every minute otherwise)

Hope that helps!

Andy

Just don't throw away that eircom box yet, though. ;) There have reports of issues with FritzBox modems when vectoring has been switched on at the cabinet. You probably need to run a search in the Broadband forum. I believe it may be down to a firmware compatibility issue and Fritzbox is investigating.

Edit - I'm sure the VPI/VCI settings are for ADSL only and the key one for VDSL is VLAN ID = 10

• Advertisement

Just don't throw away that eircom box yet, though. ;) There have reports of issues with FritzBox modems when vectoring has been switched on at the cabinet. You probably need to run a search in the Broadband forum. I believe it may be down to a firmware compatibility issue and Fritzbox is investigating.

Edit - I'm sure the VPI/VCI settings are for ADSL only and the key one for VDSL is VLAN ID = 10

Thanks mate - I'll do another search for sure - I know that they released a firmware recently-enough and think I recall there being improvements for Vectoring.

Re. VPI/VCI that's what I thought too - but interestingly it auto-detected those values?!

re. VLAN - yes, that's definitely required. I had a static IP and the instructions today were to deselect that value - but hey presto ... PPPoE timeouts. A pain, but for me ... the 71/20 is better than the 4/0.7 I was getting speed-wise this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Okay apologies if this has been addressed earlier in the thread - I had a look but couldn't find anything on it -but has anyone got any information on when Redford Park is likely to be enabled?

Eircom have been saying it's any day now for about a year, and the online line checker says fibre is enabled in this area but not yet to my address - anyone know anything else on this?

The cabinet (GRS1_047) at Redford Park is fibre enabled and is live according to eircom's map. You may be in a similar situation to @red_bairn in Rathdown Park where most of the estate is enabled, but his phone line is wired directly to the exchange. Only eircom can tell you if you are connected to the cabinet or are directly connected to the exchange.

The cabinet (GRS1_047) at Redford Park is fibre enabled and is live according to eircom's map. You may be in a similar situation to @red_bairn in Rathdown Park where most of the estate is enabled, but his phone line is wired directly to the exchange. Only eircom can tell you if you are connected to the cabinet or are directly connected to the exchange.

According to a neighbour who spoke with an ex-colleague of his who now works for Eircom, he said that they are taking their time putting equipment into the Exchange for this matter because other companies such as Sky would be able to access their fibre customers (FTTC).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

GRS1_032 Convent Court/Main Road (near. Roundabout), Delgany

This one is now built. No contact from eircom yet though so not sure if it's live. Haven't seen anyone working on the innards yet, just the guys installing the base and cabinet itself.

OCD wrote: »
    GRS1_032 Convent Court/Main Road (near. Roundabout), Delgany

This one is now built. No contact from eircom yet though so not sure if it's live. Haven't seen anyone working on the innards yet, just the guys installing the base and cabinet itself.

Thanks.
    red_bairn wrote: »
    We are currently on the look out for the following cabinets to have an accompanying VDSL cabinet within its vicinity:

• GRS1_002 Killincarrick Roundabout, Greystones.
    • GRS1_010 Edengate Roundabout, Greystones.
    • GRS1_016 Barry’s Bridge/Drummin Road, Delgany.

• GRS1_030 Delgany National School, Delgany. (Sticker)
    • GRS1_031 Killincarrig/Delgany Glen, Delgany.(SPOTTED:24/11/2013)
    • GRS1_032 Convent Court/Main Road (near. Roundabout), Delgany.
    • GRS1_034 Delgany Wood, Delgany (Opp Thornbury).
    • GRS1_035 Windgates Hill, Windgates Upper, Greystones.
    • GRS1_039 Meridian Complex.
    • GRS1_040 Meridian Complex2

• GRS1_052 Charlesland Grove, Greystones.
    • GRS1_064 Edengate, Delgany/Greystones.
    • GRS1_065 Edengate, Delgany/Greystones.

• GRS1_066 Charlesland Park, Greystones. (Current works)

Any other housing states or areas getting Sales People?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If anyone is interested NMK1_022 outside holywell on the sea road in kilcoole had the VDSL cabinet installed last week. Hopefully it wont be too long before we can get efibre now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Anyone have any idea when Delgany Wood will be eFibre enabled?

iwhelan wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when Delgany Wood will be eFibre enabled?

Closest planned is for Thornbury and other is Delgany Glen which is already installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Ordered e-fiber today and was told my line maxed out at 100Mb.
    €40 for 100 and unlimited downloads, Also got the tv for free for 6 months. Worth a shot, I'll put it in the bedroom. 10 days for installation

Charlesland Park

Advertisement