Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PK2010 wrote: »
    There was an Eircom guy working in Redford Park recently near my house so I asked him if he know anything about future broadband plans for the estate. He said they they have come up with a "new method" for delivering higher bandwidth to the exchange fed customers and that he would be surprised if it wasn't rolled out before Christmas in Redford. The guy didn't know the details of what technology was being used as he is not part of the team currently working on the project.

Not sure how accurate (or true) this is but it did give me a glimmer of hope that I may get more than 0.02Mbit of upstream bandwidth soon.

might be referring to vectoring - this is already enabled for cabinet lines and allows them to get up to 100Mb. Exchange lines are currently restricted to 70Mb. It still won't help you if you're too far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Thanks for the feedback guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Is there an ETA for fibre being available for Burnaby Heights residents?

All cabinets in the area are fibre live per http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

My ISP says I'm 3miles/4.8km from the exchange so I can only assume I'm directly connected to an exchange somewhere. DSLAM code GRS_03 but I don't see this code on the map above. Does anyone know where GRS_03 is located?

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 4 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 4 MB
    Fibre Enabled: No
    LLU Enabled: No

I think the whole estate has the same speed limit (approx 100 houses, I checked a few lines). OpenEir said GRS_03 is not fibre live & they have no plans to make it fibre live! I thought fibre was being rolled out for the whole of Wicklow, no?
    What's the procedure or likelyhood of getting an estate connected to a closer cabinet that's fibre live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone get the 1,000MB line in Charlesland? What's your first impressions??

I've signed up - installation is on 4th Feb thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Anyone get the 1,000MB line in Charlesland? What's your first impressions??

I've signed up - installation is on 4th Feb thou.

Where can you find out which areas are enabled for FTTH?

• Advertisement

use the "Check Availability" link here

I've heard of people with it in Delgany Wood and Charlesland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

loyatemu wrote: »
    use the "Check Availability" link here

I've heard of people with it in Delgany Wood and Charlesland.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Woohoo! Rathdown Park is now fully fibre enabled!!

does that mean you can get the 1Gb/s service?

No, certainly on our house we are being quoted 90mb from Vodafone, Sky and Eir.

Big leap to 1gb. Houses that aren'd direct to exchange might get more.

• Advertisement

you sure you're exchange fed? - max is generally 70Mb/s as vectoring is not allowed. And you'd need to be living next door to the exchange to get that, sound like you're on a cab.

Fair point, just assumed was still going to exchange as that's how it was until now, you could be right.

I am with Sky at the moment so no charge to up to Fibre and no change in modem.

Mind you it took a girl at the door from Vodafone to inform me I was now fibre enabled....

Fair point, just assumed was still going to exchange as that's how it was until now, you could be right.

Mind you it took a girl at the door from Vodafone to inform me I was now fibre enabled....

She called to my door as well but I'm still waiting for UPC/Virgin to become available. I wouldn't necessarily believe what door-to-door sales people say btw - they generally don't know what they're talking about.

I took the same skeptical approach to the Vodafone lady however she showed me on her app, I then checked Eir website and rang Sky and all checked out. Indeed Sky have an engineer coming next week, so all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I took the same skeptical approach to the Vodafone lady however she showed me on her app, I then checked Eir website and rang Sky and all checked out. Indeed Sky have an engineer coming next week, so all good.

The old man called them and they said the same but there would be problems moving the IP phone service. Sounds stupid.

Don't be baffling them with anything out of the norm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Lucky you, Burnaby Heights still on 4Mb (2.5Mb in reality).

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Eir are working on New Road + some other road in / around La Touche. Spoke with engineer and he stated they are hoping it will work but no guarantees (odd - thought there network planning would allow them to figure that out in advance). He said no other works that he's aware of planned for Greystones.

Sadly I'm nearer the harbour area - no plans to do anything relating to nearest street cab. I assume they will install fibre cab in the harbour at some time and hopefully they can re-route cable from my cab to there. Not holding my breath though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Eir are working on New Road + some other road in / around La Touche. Spoke with engineer and he stated they are hoping it will work but no guarantees (odd - thought their network planning would allow them to figure that out in advance). He said no other works that he's aware of planned for Greystones.

Sadly I'm nearer the harbour area - no plans to do anything relating to nearest street cab. I assume they will install fibre cab in the harbour at some time and hopefully they can re-route cable from my cab to there. Not holding my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

legrand wrote: »
    Eir are working on New Road + some other road in / around La Touche. Spoke with engineer and he stated they are hoping it will work but no guarantees (odd - thought there network planning would allow them to figure that out in advance). He said no other works that he's aware of planned for Greystones.

They have a distribution cab sitting in the middle of site down where the houses/apartments are to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Good for you! Vodafone missold me fibre broadband 2 yrs ago. Guy at the door insisted it was available. Caused me a lot of time and hassle to sort out. So, glad to hear they have improved.

Out of contract with eir myself currently and did the line checker thingy and am also fibre enabled now too. Happy days! I thought though that I would be notified by them and offered a free upgrade once available, but it took this forum for me to know I could upgrade. Am I as well to wait for Virgin? Or would anyone recommend mobile broadband? Light enough users, no gaming and not needed for work per se. No need for a phone and tv is sorted. Our poxy service with eir actually does us pretty well except for most evenings when streaming goes pear shaped. Paying €50 a month or so for it. Reckon for our needs there must be something better & cheaper out there...Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have Virgin replaced the cable on your house yet?

loyatemu wrote: »
    Have Virgin replaced the cable on your house yet?
    I think so, yes. (In that they were working in the estate pre Xmas on ladders draping black cable between the houses?! And I think there is some of it attached to/hanging off our house too!)
    Three emailed me this week offering 4G mobile broadband for €20 for 6 months going up to €40 thereafter. 18 month contract. Can't remember the speeds but I'm presuming it couldn't be any more archaic than our current eir offering? Always nervous about mobile broadband though as have never heard good things being said about it...

Shazerina wrote: »
    I think so, yes. (In that they were working in the estate pre Xmas on ladders draping black cable between the houses?! And I think there is some of it attached to/hanging off our house too!)
    Three emailed me this week offering 4G mobile broadband for €20 for 6 months going up to €40 thereafter. 18 month contract. Can't remember the speeds but I'm presuming it couldn't be any more archaic than our current eir offering? Always nervous about mobile broadband though as have never heard good things being said about it...

Virgin's broadband is 360Mb/s - in comparison Eircom/Sky/Vodafone can only offer a maximum of 100Mb/s but that is dependent on the length of your phoneline (e.g. I can only get 25Mb/s from Eircom). If they've done the cables you should be able to order from Virgin within the next month or so.

Having said all that, if you're a light user then 25Mb/s might be plenty for you - Netflix will work, webpages will load quickly etc.

I'd be wary of mobile broadband for 2 reasons - there's usually a fairly low data limit, and if you go over it they'll hit you with massive charges. Check your Eircom account online to see how much data you're currently using. Also, with 4G your speed could vary dramatically depending on where your house is and how many people nearby are using the same network.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Shazerina wrote: »

Friend of mine has the 3 mobile broadband package you speak of. On a good day they get about a 15MB line. Better than the 2mb eircom would likely be pumping into his house. As mentioned though, its limited to 60GB.

Friend of mine has the 3 mobile broadband package you speak of. On a good day they get about a 15MB line. Better than the 2mb eircom would likely be pumping into his house. As mentioned though, its limited to 60GB.

for comparison we've used 206GB this month so far - that's with kids using tablets and laptops, Netflix, Spotify, Sky On-Demand etc.

Thank you both for your replies. Much obliged and very helpful.
    I need to check our usage I guess before doing anything. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

I was meant to have the Eir 1Gbps connection installed on Friday but KN had a problem pulling the fibre through to the house. It seems the conduit installed between the house and the duct had become crushed. I was told that when the conduit was laid it was too narrow and substandard which resulted in it being crushed over the 9 years in the ground. KN tried to use the old phone cable to pull the fibre through and it snapped. No we are left with no phone line, a possible charge for a new conduit and a further delay in the installation. I told Eir that if they tried to charge I would cancel the order.
    Has anyone else had the same issue and how was it handled? I am sure I am not the only one with this problem???!

Advertisement