Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

Hi Red Bairn, yes it goes from the Parish Centre on Main St. down past 3 estates, the middle one Seaview has a cabinet, and turns right back towards the end of the village towards Byrnes pub, takes in Bayview, Inishkeane, Rockmanor Dr. and Carrig Mor, kind of parallel to main st. with the huge Rock in between. When she told me Blessington, I said there must be some mistake! and she insisted no it's lighting up her Blessington Exchange. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hi Red Bairn, yes it goes from the Parish Centre on Main St. down past 3 estates, the middle one Seaview has a cabinet, and turns right back towards the end of the village towards Byrnes pub, takes in Bayview, Inishkeane, Rockmanor Dr. and Carrig Mor, kind of parallel to main st. with the huge Rock in between. When she told me Blessington, I said there must be some mistake! and she insisted no it's lighting up her Blessington Exchange. :)

Yeah, that isn't right at all. The majority of Kilcoole should be on the Newtownmountkennedy exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

Just goes to show how wrong they can get it doesn't it. That was the number I dialled to order the efibre!! Think Kilcoole is divided into both exchanges, The Newtown end (southern part) always managed to get 1.5mb whereas the northerns (us) only ever got .49mb. I'm beginning to think I'll wait till it's live to order, might even change to Vodafone, although I've been with eircom 19 years, I checked my no. on the vodafone site and they say yes, it's available. However I don't expect great speeds I'm a mile (along the road) from the cabinet. yet only 200m as the crow flies.
    Well done with this forum anyway, it's great reading all about it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was told my guaranteed speed is 18 Meg. Still, a lot better than the 1.2 I get at the moment.

I was told my guaranteed speed is 18 Meg. Still, a lot better than the 1.2 I get at the moment.

Have you ordered? Where are you located? You must be about 4-5km from the Greystones Exchange (behind the old post office).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Just goes to show how wrong they can get it doesn't it. That was the number I dialled to order the efibre!! Think Kilcoole is divided into both exchanges, The Newtown end (southern part) always managed to get 1.5mb whereas the northerns (us) only ever got .49mb. I'm beginning to think I'll wait till it's live to order, might even change to Vodafone, although I've been with eircom 19 years, I checked my no. on the vodafone site and they say yes, it's available. However I don't expect great speeds I'm a mile (along the road) from the cabinet. yet only 200m as the crow flies.
    Well done with this forum anyway, it's great reading all about it.
    Thanks.

Correct of Most Kilcoole is On Greystones Exchange, Southern Part Beechdale Industrial Estate etc are on Newtown, Im the Northern Part and got 2mb until Ebfibre Works varies from 1.8 to 1.5 usually the later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Had a call from eircom yesterday to say that Greystones won't go live earliest until November 13th and they will ring me back then to book an install date (despite accepting my online order and originally confirming the install date as 13th!)

nickhx wrote: »
    Had a call from eircom yesterday to say that Greystones won't go live earliest until November 13th and they will ring me back then to book an install date (despite accepting my online order and originally confirming the install date as 13th!)

Sounds about right with the Cabs going live from the 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Correct of Most Kilcoole is On Greystones Exchange, Southern Part Beechdale Industrial Estate etc are on Newtown, Im the Northern Part and got 2mb until Ebfibre Works varies from 1.8 to 1.5 usually the later.

The VDSL map says the lines for Kilcoole, which are on the Greystones exchange, are being move to the Newtown Exchange - is this true? Going by the prefix NMK on the map it seems so.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    The VDSL map says the lines for Kilcoole, which are on the Greystones exchange, are being move to the Newtown Exchange - is this true? Going by the prefix NMK on the map it seems so.

Are you talking about the Eircom map?

Also this is the bit I heard about the small exchange south of Greystones:
    Priestsnewtown - PNT - Telephone Exchange
    Last Updated by Itsmuck on Jun 6
    Priestsnewtown Telephone Exchange. This was installed to service the new Charlesland developments and Kilcoole to the south. It serves an area carved out of the southern end of the old Greystones exchange. However Kilcoole is to be connected to Newtownmountkennedy in future.

That is on the CrowdSource Map in my signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Had spotted that on the map alright - but the cabs for Greystones and Delgany are prefixed GRS, or will be should I say. I suppose we'll have to wait for the yellow sticker when the cabs go live to confirm it.

Edit: Is this the Priestnewtown exchange building on the road to Kilquade???! http://goo.gl/maps/W655V

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Had spotted that on the map alright - but the cabs for Greystones and Delgany are prefixed GRS, or will be should I say. I suppose we'll have to wait for the yellow sticker when the cabs go live to confirm it.

Edit: Is this the Priestnewtown exchange building on the road to Kilquade???! http://goo.gl/maps/W655V

Yeah, any cabinets that have GRS on the yellow label means it is connected with the Greystones exchange. You can even check now if they have used permanent marker on the VDSL cabinet to see if they have left the number there and what exchange. Our own cabinet has a mark but no sticker although we knew what exchange it was on anyway.

That could well be it. I'd say once they are done installing and commissioning all the cabinets on the Greystones/Newtownmountkennedy exchanges, they'll start work on fixing that up with newer equipment (if they haven't done it already) and connect the homes closer to that (after they've installed anymore cabinets in that locality of course). :)

Edit: Is this the Priestnewtown exchange building on the road to Kilquade???! http://goo.gl/maps/W655V[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats the One, It Has to be On Greystones ive seen them Runing Fibre up from Charlesland to Eden Gate and up to Kilcoole, I Think the Map may be Wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'm a Vodafone customer in Hillside and their number checker tells me that my number is good for fibre. Rang customer services yesterday and was told that they would be taking orders from 31st Oct. Seems consistent with earlier post from eircom customer who is awaiting installation - not too much longer I hope. :)

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'm a Vodafone customer in Hillside and their number checker tells me that my number is good for fibre. Rang customer services yesterday and was told that they would be taking orders from 31st Oct. Seems consistent with earlier post from eircom customer who is awaiting installation - not too much longer I hope. :)

Yeah, it looks like they are going to be installing for early November. 'bout time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ack - was wondering why my address wasn't showing as enabled yet and have realised the cabinet around the corner from me in Hillside almost certainly post-dates my house, so I'm probably not connected to it. I may be connected to Bow Lane or the one opposite the church, both of which are a good bit further away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Anyone else experiencing problems with the regular Eircom broadband service recently in the Greystones area ?

I am on 8mb service and for the last 4-6 weeks the wireless service drops regularly each evening (I've no idea if it happens by day as I wouldn't be using it by day). It comes back after 1-2 minutes, but it is extremely frustrating.

Have had numerous calls to the Eircom Support line and had the tecnician out last Friday, but the problem persists (he replaced the main point in the house with a splitter and said that maybe I should reduce to 6mb as this might fix it !!!!). Am now locked in a stalemate with Eircom.

I have read others in other areas saying same thing happening to them since eFibre was being installed in their areas, and my kids have said some of their friends have said this is happening in their houses also, but I can't stand over the validity of that.

Thanks
    eigrod

eigrod wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing problems with the regular Eircom broadband service recently in the Greystones area ?

I am on 8mb service and for the last 4-6 weeks the wireless service drops regularly each evening (I've no idea if it happens by day as I wouldn't be using it by day). It comes back after 1-2 minutes, but it is extremely frustrating.

Have had numerous calls to the Eircom Support line and had the tecnician out last Friday, but the problem persists (he replaced the main point in the house with a splitter and said that maybe I should reduce to 6mb as this might fix it !!!!). Am now locked in a stalemate with Eircom.

I have read others in other areas saying same thing happening to them since eFibre was being installed in their areas, and my kids have said some of their friends have said this is happening in their houses also, but I can't stand over the validity of that.

Thanks
    eigrod

Mines Dropped too just hold out for 2weeks till you can Order Efibre!

Mines Dropped too just hold out for 2weeks till you can Order Efibre!

Thanks Real B-man. That's kind of a relief. I think I'll take your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

folks is this working for your own numbers still?
    https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

I've entered my own and other Greystones numbers and it reports "Sorry, we are unable to determine if your home is fibre-enabled"

Maybe they are transitioning a database/mapping exercise but a bit disconcerting when a few a weeks ago it did recognize my number ..

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    folks is this working for your own numbers still?
    https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

I've entered my own and other Greystones numbers and it reports "Sorry, we are unable to determine if your home is fibre-enabled"

Maybe they are transitioning a database/mapping exercise but a bit disconcerting when a few a weeks ago it did recognize my number ..

I got the "Congratulations, You can receive...." pop-up just now with my number.

loyatemu wrote: »
    ack - was wondering why my address wasn't showing as enabled yet and have realised the cabinet around the corner from me in Hillside almost certainly post-dates my house, so I'm probably not connected to it. I may be connected to Bow Lane or the one opposite the church, both of which are a good bit further away.

Sorry, are you saying your house is a new build? Bow Lane has had its distribution cabinet in since the 1970s, so it probably has all the lines for the houses beside the e railway line and the businesses on the main street.

I got the "Congratulations, You can receive...." pop-up just now with my number.

To those of you who are getting this now or were getting the message but now have the "sorry" message there is no harm in contacting them via LIVE chat or phone their direct Dublin number (efibre Sales) to find out if the order has really gone through and get the order number from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

red_bairn wrote: »
    Sorry, are you saying your house is a new build? Bow Lane has had its distribution cabinet in since the 1970s, so it probably has all the lines for the houses beside the e railway line and the businesses on the main street.

no - my house was there before Hillside was built, so its quite likely its not connected to the cab in Hillside (Bellevue Road used to end here)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Thanks
    eigrod

We are having the same problem in the last 3 weeks no joy from eircom they would drive you mad

bido wrote: »
    We are having the same problem in the last 3 weeks no joy from eircom they would drive you mad

They have been working on the POTS up the road outside the first lot of houses in Rathdown for the last few days. I hope the quality of lines are ok and that there are not any more problems when we or any other residents ask for efibre. But our service is ok for the moment. There have been no drops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

Thanks
    eigrod

Definitely happening to us. Huge decline in existing speeds, noticeable slowing at certain times. We are in Rathdown area, Vodafone customers but it's the same infrastructure.

Buzkashi wrote: »
    Definitely happening to us. Huge decline in existing speeds, noticeable slowing at certain times. We are in Rathdown area, Vodafone customers but it's the same infrastructure.

Whereabouts? I'm on the horseshoe and we've had no issues. There was an Eircom van working on an area dug up near the main green a few weeks back and then recently at the top of the estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

red_bairn wrote: »
    Whereabouts? I'm on the horseshoe and we've had no issues. There was an Eircom van working on an area dug up near the main green a few weeks back and then recently at the top of the estate.

Saw those. We are on the entrance road. Have you any indication when it's gonna be switched on?

• Advertisement

Buzkashi wrote: »
    Saw those. We are on the entrance road. Have you any indication when it's gonna be switched on?

Not at the moment.... I'd be going by the dates given on here (first week of November) but It is a bit worrying to see that the lines at the top of the road are currently having speed problems. I hope this doesn't delay other orders but they still have about 2 or 3 weeks to dates given on here by other members.

Advertisement