Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

My fibre broadband was installed last week (Kilcoole) and was working great until yesterday when the DSL signal dropped a fee times. Anyone else have issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My fibre broadband was installed last week (Kilcoole) and was working great until yesterday when the DSL signal dropped a fee times. Anyone else have issues?

Call up the Technical team for Eircom. They will be able to troubleshoot with you or send an engineer out to the cabinet. They might be able to check from their HQ. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yes, have had a few issues with it dropping data signal, wifi working fine but no internet for a few minutes or until the router is rebooted. Also have had a few days where the speed has dropped from 39Mb to around 15Mb.

Does anyone know how the TV service will work alongside eFibre internet? Will it eat up bandwidth for those of us who can't get the full 70Mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Yes, have had a few issues with it dropping data signal, wifi working fine but no internet for a few minutes or until the router is rebooted. Also have had a few days where the speed has dropped from 39Mb to around 15Mb.

Does anyone know how the TV service will work alongside eFibre internet? Will it eat up bandwidth for those of us who can't get the full 70Mb?
    In my case it wont come back without a reboot of the router which is a real pain.
    By the way, my average speedtest only gives 24 Mb, still its 24 times what I had before!

Cianmcliam wrote: »

Here:
    "In minimal usage, to receive an IPTV triple-play service requires 13 Mbit/s to process in a household."
    Source

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

red_bairn wrote: »
    Here:

Source

Great, thanks for that. Guess I'll stick with Sky for the moment then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Anyone know about when killincarrig will be going live? Phoneline checker has said "Sorry, we are unable to
    determine if your home is fibre-enabled" for a couple of weeks now. My address isn't listed yet either although seaview cottages up the road have been listed for a while. Anyone know what exchange carrig villas is on? The closest seems to be the cabinet beside Eire Og

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

I get the same. In my case it appears that I am directly connected to the local exchange and Eircom have a separate schedule for households like me. Can't be certain but would appear impact houses in around harbour/trafalgar/Victoria road areas..

delta214 wrote: »
    Anyone know about when killincarrig will be going live? Phoneline checker has said "Sorry, we are unable to
    determine if your home is fibre-enabled" for a couple of weeks now. My address isn't listed yet either although seaview cottages up the road have been listed for a while. Anyone know what exchange carrig villas is on? The closest seems to be the cabinet beside Eire Og

The killincarrig roundabout may be the closest to you. But they haven't put anything in yet...not even a plinth. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

So can i ask how many people are actually live and efibred now?! And/or how many have installation dates confirmed? And where are y'all living? I'm in rathdown park and still no sign...😒

• Advertisement

Shazerina wrote: »
    So can i ask how many people are actually live and efibred now?! And/or how many have installation dates confirmed? And where are y'all living? I'm in rathdown park and still no sign...😒

Well according to the responses on here not one person has went live in Greystones, only Kilcoole.

We might be going live on the 14th or sooner. Some customers were given this date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Around 5pm had an eircom salesman to my house in Hillside to say we have been enabled and are taking orders for install. Seems to be a 15-20 day lead time for install. It's consistent with what Vodafone had said to me earlier in the month.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Around 5pm had an eircom salesman to my house in Hillside to say we have been enabled and are taking orders for install. Seems to be a 15-20 day lead time for install. It's consistent with what Vodafone had said to me earlier in the month.

Did you order with him?

No, didn't order with him as the price bundles weren't very attractive, plus I knew he would promise me anything to get me to sign;)

I rang Vodafone this morning. They offered me the €40 bundle plus a €3 discount for a one year contract. Then I was offered a further €10 discount if I went for 24 months :) The only query I had which the customer support couldn't answer was whether there was an additional charge for installing the VDSL modem at other than the main point in the hall. My DSL modem is on a wired extension in the study, so I understand that a CAT5 run would be needed. They don't have anything in the sales script to indicate any charge for this and doesn't recall anyone being charged extra for installation. He put me through to tech support who said it was engineer dependent on whether there was a charge but unlikely unless it was an awkward install.

While I was on the phone to tech support I got a text from Voda to say the install would be done on the 11th November. So far so good...

No, didn't order with him as the price bundles weren't very attractive, plus I knew he would promise me anything to get me to sign;)

I rang Vodafone this morning. They offered me the €40 bundle plus a €3 discount for a one year contract. Then I was offered a further €10 discount if I went for 24 months :) The only query I had which the customer support couldn't answer was whether there was an additional charge for installing the VDSL modem at other than the main point in the hall. My DSL modem is on a wired extension in the study, so I understand that a CAT5 run would be needed. They don't have anything in the sales script to indicate any charge for this and doesn't recall anyone being charged extra for installation. He put me through to tech support who said it was engineer dependent on whether there was a charge but unlikely unless it was an awkward install.

While I was on the phone to tech support I got a text from Voda to say the install would be done on the 11th November. So far so good...

Why not use use power plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

My line is in the hall too and runs a 10m extension to where the router is..What are power plugs? please..

Noooooo:eek:

I'm into short-wave listening and general comms. Those things generate huge amounts of radio frequency interference.

@gorehoundess - Homeplugs/powerplugs are units which use your house mains wiring to transfer ethernet data. If you don't have CAT5 cable in place or there is an issue with the wireless signal in a particular location they can be used to get ethernet to that point. "Handy" certainly, but the downside is a level of radio interference depending on the build of the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

thanks for that, thinking of getting an extra socket installed then when I eventually get the efibre. Cheeers

thanks for that, thinking of getting an extra socket installed then when I eventually get the efibre. Cheeers

What the gangster said. Here they are:

http://www.dabs.ie/category/networking,network-devices,homeplug/11301

Eircom sell them but you can get them cheaper from dabs, amazon or other companies.

@Fat-tony: meh, I don't know the technicalities behind them but I've had mine for years and haven't experienced any problems with them. We bought a new router earlier in the year and it's signal quality is almost as good as the connection to the homeplugs.

I wonder if these sales people are about the whole Greystones area today (still @ UCD.

@Fat-tony: meh, I don't know the technicalities behind them but I've had mine for years and haven't experienced any problems with them. We bought a new router earlier in the year and it's signal quality is almost as good as the connection to the homeplugs.

I wonder if these sales people are about the whole Greystones area today (still @ UCD.

I'm sure you haven't had any problems with the homeplugs, but maybe you don't have a shortwave receiver that you are trying to use;) Or maybe you have a neighbour whose AM radio reception is affected that you're unaware of? I have a Panasonic plasma TV which generates all manner of electronic hash.

Probably 90+% of people would not notice a problem with homeplugs. Just not for me, though!

• Advertisement

Just a little update - might use this as template for others. Got an email a short while ago (23.30) from Vodafone to say they've despatched the modem/router. Got an An Post tracking number.

Earlier did a bit of google research as I have a monitored alarm and was concerned about how the installation of the NTU by eircom would affect this as I currently have just a simple junction box in the hall with a "rat's nest" of wires feeding the alarm, phone extensions and ADSL. It would seem that the newer NTUs have connectors built-in for the alarm loop and a link for the main phone connection. Just have to hope that the promise of hob-nobs and a cuppa will persuade the eircom tech to put an RJ45 (or RJ11) on the link to my study:)

Just a little update - might use this as template for others. Got an email a short while ago (23.30) from Vodafone to say they've despatched the modem/router. Got an An Post tracking number.

Earlier did a bit of google research as I have a monitored alarm and was concerned about how the installation of the NTU by eircom would affect this as I currently have just a simple junction box in the hall with a "rat's nest" of wires feeding the alarm, phone extensions and ADSL. It would seem that the newer NTUs have connectors built-in for the alarm loop and a link for the main phone connection. Just have to hope that the promise of hob-nobs and a cuppa will persuade the eircom tech to put an RJ45 (or RJ11) on the link to my study:)

Yeah, try to get as much work done with them and make sure all devices are getting connected to your router before they leave the house.

Is there only 206 houses in Hillside? I thought there would be more unless they haven't fully updated the database online.

Yeah, try to get as much work done with them and make sure all devices are getting connected to your router before they leave the house.

Is there only 206 houses in Hillside? I thought there would be more unless they haven't fully updated the database online.
    Yep - that's about the right number for Hillside!

I'm not sure the eircom tech will spend too much time on the modem setup. I should be ok to get the wi-fi and cabled infrastructure going, though - house full of geeks:p

Hope the VDSL modem/router is better than the p.o.s. they supplied to me for ADSL a few years ago. I gave up on that after after about two weeks and went back to my old Netopia modem and Linksys WRTG54 router - which is reliable but a bit long in the tooth at this stage!

Yep - that's about the right number for Hillside!

I'm not sure the eircom tech will spend too much time on the modem setup. I should be ok to get the wi-fi and cabled infrastructure going, though - house full of geeks:p

Hope the VDSL modem/router is better than the p.o.s. they supplied to me for ADSL a few years ago. I gave up on that after after about two weeks and went back to my old Netopia modem and Linksys WRTG54 router - which is reliable but a bit long in the tooth at this stage!

Yeah, we had the grey netopia one. We bought a Netgear DGN2200 last year or early this year...

HG658c modem/router arrived this morning. Came with two ordinary telephone cables (RJ11), one for connection to the DSL and one to plug a phone in the back of the router. Also came with a CAT5 cable with RJ45 connectors for a direct connection from PC to router.
    There was a warning on the box not to connect it to the DSL until the fibre switchover, but I connected in my laptop and checked out the user interface. Pretty straightforward config of DHCP and the wireless settings. I saw that there were three different profiles pre-loaded in the modem for DSL, VDSL and ethernet connection, so I figured it was probably good to go for the existing VF ADSL. After taking a bit longer than my old Netopia it synced up and I was on-line. A couple of hours later and it's working fine. Once I check with the other wireless users in the house as to whether the performance is acceptable I'll probably park my Netopia/Linksys combination.
    Just waiting now for the arrival of the eircom tech next Monday!

HG658c modem/router arrived this morning. Came with two ordinary telephone cables (RJ11), one for connection to the DSL and one to plug a phone in the back of the router. Also came with a CAT5 cable with RJ45 connectors for a direct connection from PC to router.
    There was a warning on the box not to connect it to the DSL until the fibre switchover, but I connected in my laptop and checked out the user interface. Pretty straightforward config of DHCP and the wireless settings. I saw that there were three different profiles pre-loaded in the modem for DSL, VDSL and ethernet connection, so I figured it was probably good to go for the existing VF ADSL. After taking a bit longer than my old Netopia it synced up and I was on-line. A couple of hours later and it's working fine. Once I check with the other wireless users in the house as to whether the performance is acceptable I'll probably park my Netopia/Linksys combination.
    Just waiting now for the arrival of the eircom tech next Monday!

Long day. Just back from UCD. what do you mean by "park my Netopia/Linksys combination"? Are you bridging the routers?

Sorry - ambiguous use of language! I meant that I would retire the Linksys to a drawer somewhere. The HG658c is performing well as a router for my hardwired connections, so I don't need the Linksys. The old Netopia had only one ethernet port so I was using it in bridging mode and using the Linksys for login to VF's network and also as the DHCP server. All that is handled by the VF Huawei modem/router now. I was a bit disappointed that the ethernet connections are only 100Mb/s as my desktop machines are both 1Gb/s. The wireless performance is theoretically up to 300Mb/s (wireless n) in the technical specs but I haven't seen how to enable it in the menu system.

VF fibre update
    Reminder call this morning to say that the technician would be here Monday to upgrade my line and would contact me beforehand. All good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Lucky you!

It appears there's a whole swathe of households in around the harbour area (think Cliff Road to Beach Road and West as far as Church Road) that are ADSL connected only. My initial thoughts were that some some of fibre jumper would be used at the exchange for those 'directly' connected but a query (via work/account manager) suggests Eircom may look to re-route [my] house to a VDSL cab. Hmmm worrying - thought it would be easier to provision a VDSL cab and services the area and not re-route 100's of household cables.

Will advise if and when I get any updates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Recieved a Install Date of 21st Nov (Kilcoole) Its an early Christmas Present for me! after 7yrs of Less than 2mb!

Advertisement