Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Got ours connected this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Langerland wrote: »

Where are you living, may I ask? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Delgany - Cabinet went live on the 30th Oct and got onto them the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Am also in Delgany - been told 28-Nov to ring back... :( Guess near a different cabinet.

Delgany - Cabinet went live on the 30th Oct and got onto them the next day.

How did you find out? Did it show all the addresses showing up in the phone line checker?
    Taltos wrote: »
    Am also in Delgany - been told 28-Nov to ring back... :( Guess near a different cabinet.

Where are you located? Did oyu check the Crowdsource Map for your nearest cabinet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

red_bairn wrote: »
    Where are you located? Did oyu check the Crowdsource Map for your nearest cabinet?

Yup - near GRS1_038
    Eircom site shows I can get it.
    Rang Magnet - told me to ring back 28-Nov that while Eircom shows this is active it isn't or at least it will not be released to them until 28-Nov to take bookings against..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Eircom or Vodafone? How quickly did they switch you over to the new service after the technician called and what's your speed like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

RE: GRS1_032 Convent Court (pedestrian walkway)

There are 3 cabinets at the end of this walkway. A large green ESB sub unit to the RHS looking uphill on the walkway; a small green ESB cabinet to the LHS and a white cabinet to the LHS. Is this white cabinet the eircom one or am I missing something completely? Just wondering where the existing ADSL cabinet is.

Is this a new cabinet you are going to map? There's no GRS1_032 on the map yet, as far as I can see. The VDSL cabinets are the ones with a large hinge/lock on the right hand side and are green. There wouldn't be an ADSL cabinet as such - ADSL is exchange based.

OCD wrote: »
    RE: GRS1_032 Convent Court (pedestrian walkway)

There are 3 cabinets at the end of this walkway. A large green ESB sub unit to the RHS looking uphill on the walkway; a small green ESB cabinet to the LHS and a white cabinet to the LHS. Is this white cabinet the eircom one or am I missing something completely? Just wondering where the existing ADSL cabinet is.

What Tony said. You don't get ADSL from that cabinet but it is called a distribution cabinet. It is an Eircom one. I think these were a newer cabinet that Eircom were going for a little while but not as secure as the cross hatch distribution cabinets that you get around most of Greystones. I think they might replace this one with the cross hatch in the future. A VDSL cabinet will be going in at that area and one further down the road across from Thornbury.

I usually go for walks with my mammy past those and I haven't seen any work as of yet. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Eircom fibre sales people are calling round charlesland (wood) anyone ordered yet and what dates were give For installation?

delta214 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the killincarrig area will be able to order?

I've just noticed that they've erected the VDSL cabinet near the the distribution cabinet (GRS1_002) close to Killincarrick roundabout, heading towards Delgany.

We are currently on the look out for the following cabinets to have an accompanying VDSL cabinet within its vicinity:

• GRS1_002 Killincarrick Roundabout, Greystones.
    • GRS1_010 Edengate Roundabout, Greystones.
    • GRS1_016 Barry’s Bridge/Drummin Road, Delgany.

• GRS1_030 Delgany National School, Delgany. (Sticker)
    • GRS1_031 Killincarrig/Delgany Glen, Delgany.
    • GRS1_032 Convent Court/Main Road (near. Roundabout), Delgany.
    • GRS1_034 Delgany Wood, Delgany (Opp Thornbury).
    • GRS1_035 Windgates Hill, Windgates Upper, Greystones.
    • GRS1_039 Meridian Complex.
    • GRS1_040 Meridian Complex2
    • GRS1_052 Charlesland Grove, Greystones.
    • GRS1_064 Edengate, Delgany/Greystones.
    • GRS1_065 Edengate, Delgany/Greystones.

• GRS1_066 Charlesland Park, Greystones.

Any other housing states or areas getting Sales People?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

fat-tony wrote: »
    Is this a new cabinet you are going to map? There's no GRS1_032 on the map yet, as far as I can see. The VDSL cabinets are the ones with a large hinge/lock on the right hand side and are green. There wouldn't be an ADSL cabinet as such - ADSL is exchange based.

No, not mapping a new cabinet. I guess my actual question what is that white cabinet the eircom one which red_bairn said it was. I wasn't sure what those white ones were.

I walk past this area regularly so I'll keep an eye out for this one and the thornbury one. Pity they haven't installed all the cabinets within a few weeks of each other seeing as there are new VDSL cabinets in areas with less population.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

I'm off Lott Lane, Kilcoole (north kilcoole) and have received the date 19th Nov. for installation. Although it says GRS on the cabinets, on the crowdsource map https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4
    it tells me we've been detached from the Greystones Exchange and connected to NTMK for Vdsl

OCD wrote: »
    No, not mapping a new cabinet. I guess my actual question what is that white cabinet the eircom one which red_bairn said it was. I wasn't sure what those white ones were.

I walk past this area regularly so I'll keep an eye out for this one and the thornbury one. Pity they haven't installed all the cabinets within a few weeks of each other seeing as there are new VDSL cabinets in areas with less population.

If you live in that area, the nearest ones to you are the Killincarrick roundabout and Delgany NS. If you can keep an eye on those two spots, that'll be great! Thanks

kn/eircom tech arrived at 15:30 (having switched the line at the cabinet 10 mins previously).
    40 min job in total. He installed the NTU and this accommodated my monitored alarm and phone extensions internally. I got him to attach an RJ11 plug on the end of my previously hardwired DSL extension from the study. This was plugged in to the NTU and off we went:
    3093946584.png
    3093946584.png

kn/eircom tech arrived at 15:30 (having switched the line at the cabinet 10 mins previously).
    40 min job in total. He installed the NTU and this accommodated my monitored alarm and phone extensions internally. I got him to attach an RJ11 plug on the end of my previously hardwired DSL extension from the study. This was plugged in to the NTU and off we went:
    3093946584.png
    3093946584.png

You are the first Greystoner with a speedtest (excluding the Kilcoole folk). Nice stats. How far are you from the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Just ordered fibre for charlesland wood through utvconnect. 45€ for unlimited download and unlimited offpeak calls, including to the uk. Router being sent by courier and they said they will call back with installation date.

red_bairn wrote: »
    You are the first Greystoner with a speedtest (excluding the Kilcoole folk). Nice stats. How far are you from the cabinet?

About 250m if you draw a line from the cabinet and follow the paths via the shortest route, but the cable may head off in a different direction.

About 250m if you draw a line from the cabinet and follow the paths via the shortest route, but the cable may head off in a different direction.

Excellent speeds nonetheless. Enjoy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgar_Murl

Got connected to Eircom fibre today. Live about 200m from the cabinet and getting 26mbs wirelessly in the room where the modem is and 16 in the room furthest away. Happy days.

Edgar_Murl wrote: »
    Got connected to Eircom fibre today. Live about 200m from the cabinet and getting 26mbs wirelessly in the room where the modem is and 16 in the room furthest away. Happy days.

Where are you located? What are you getting if wired?

Located in Hillside. Just checked wired and getting 61.5 download and 16.5 upload

Located in Hillside. Just checked wired and getting 61.5 download and 16.5 upload

Very nice! I wonder will they be offering it to Rathdown any time in '13? :)

Welcome to 21st century broadband :)
    It's a bit ironic though, that it is eircom's fibre infrastructure, you are an eircom customer, you ordered in early October, yet Vodafone were able to connect me Monday last following an order on 1st November...

It's a bit ironic though, that it is eircom's fibre infrastructure, you are an eircom customer, you ordered in early October, yet Vodafone were able to connect me Monday last following an order on 1st November...

Yes, it does seem strange, but Eircom outsource the installation and I guess that the volume of their business would be many multiples of Vodafone's, based on their respective market share. I am very happy with the Eircom installation and it working a treat all over the house.

Yes, it does seem strange, but Eircom outsource the installation and I guess that the volume of their business would be many multiples of Vodafone's, based on their respective market share. I am very happy with the Eircom installation and it working a treat all over the house.

No I think it is either Eircom or KN who would usually do the installation.

My original inclination was to go with eircom (as I was out of contract with VF), but the price package on VF was just too good for me, given my limited number of landline calls each month.

Edgar_Murl - you might check out the broadband forum, particularly this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056555985
    Lots of eircom customers commenting on the fact that they are limited to 50Mb profiles despite ordering the top package. Now it may be that the cabinet and line infrastructure is particularly good in Greystones/Hillside but it might be worthwhile monitoring the modem settings to ensure that there is no trimming back of speeds in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

@ fat-tony

should be interesting to see how your through-put fairs over the coming weeks/months as more folks switch to fibre - Eircom I think claim this fibre service is contention free but ...

meanwhile no sign of fibre availability (no vdsl cab in my area - only adsl) for me so dead envious :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

@fat-tony, I'm with VF in Rathdown Park about 300m from the entrance. No word from them on when fibre is available. What was the procedure you followed to get it from them? Their site says, "wait and we will contact you".

I'd especially like to know as their DSL service has been getting worse and worse, with several disconnections per day and at least five mins per time getting it rebooted...

Advertisement