Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent breakfast in Swords (or in walking distance)

Options
  • 17-05-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Wondering where one can get a decent breakfast in Swords? Omelette, fry, the usual.

Most places just seem to have the usual generic fry which just tastes greasy & reheated. Looking for something better than the norm, as fresh as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree: GFP is excellent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Never been, or even heard of it. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

GFP is very good. Service can be horrific at times though but still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Very disappointed to see my local Cafe, Adam's Apple Cafe close down.
    I can only imagine the rent was very high because they place was always busy & the quality of food was always good.
    I don't eat pork so used to go for the vegetarian breakfast which was always top notch; Fried Eggs, Hash Browns, Mushrooms Beans etc.
    So I'm wondering where else in Swords does a good breakfast including a vegetarian option?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

PWEI wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see my local Cafe, Adam's Apple Cafe close down.
    I can only imagine the rent was very high because they place was always busy & the quality of food was always good.
    I don't eat pork so used to go for the vegetarian breakfast which was always top notch; Fried Eggs, Hash Browns, Mushrooms Beans etc.
    So I'm wondering where else in Swords does a good breakfast including a vegetarian option?

Gourmet Food Parlour seems to be the most popular, and does a vegetarian option.
    Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Gourmet Food Parlour seems to be the most popular, and does a vegetarian option.
    Threads merged.

Thanks. Ate there before but never knew they did breakfast.
    Vegetarian Breakfast sounds good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Esquires up at the Premier Inn in Airside is quite good too but may be too far if you're on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Another vote for GFP and O'Brien's in Airside (the one in Pavilions is just dire).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

ethernet wrote: »
    Another vote for GFP and O'Brien's in Airside (the one in Pavilions is just dire).

Just my experience, but I've been in the O'Briens in Airside a couple of times on a Saturday morning, and it was like Kidzone! Loads of parents with v young kids, running riot around the place. I'm not one of these people who complains about everything, but I cant see myself ever going back. Impossible to have a coffee and read the paper or have a chat with the racket and chaos!

Do like an O'Brien's sambo, but my nerves cant handle so much action :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

They do a great breakfast in a place called the cottage in swords. It's just off the Main Street in a small street called the courtyard .

Kumsheen wrote: »
    They do a great breakfast in a place called the cottage in swords. It's just off the Main Street in a small street called the courtyard .

That'd be this place ?

Where is that street? Can you name a landmark it's by? Can't find it on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

gotta be the Plaza right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think it might be behind the flowershop on main street, if it is, I've been there and it's good

It's in the next mall up from the plaza.
    The town center mall is the one that has a bike shop in it.
    Here is an image from street view. Walk under the arch to the left, and it's at the end of this covered walkway.
    http://goo.gl/maps/7G8Wj

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's called the Town Centre Mall. It's through the arch beside the flower shop Stheno mentioned. The flower shop is just up from Centra - you can't miss that.

Edit: I just saw Kumsheen's link :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Does anyone remember Alans bakery in swords? It used to be on the corner where Abbrakebra is now...when i worked in swords years ago i was constantly in there...I dont think i've tasted a nicer breakfast roll since then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

I had to send raw sausies back one morning there. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt though and assume it was a rare mistake. I had been once before that and it was lovely.

I'd still rate GFP head and shoulders above it though. Excellent breakfasts: Eggs Benedict etc. Damn tasty food, plated nice and cleanly in a lovely bright dining area.

Thanks folks! I do love a good breakfast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Does anyone remember Alans bakery in swords? It used to be on the corner where Abbrakebra is now...when i worked in swords years ago i was constantly in there...I dont think i've tasted a nicer breakfast roll since then...

Alan's Hot Bread Shop was fantastic. Used to get great rolls and baked treats there when I was a kid. Nothing since has been as good as it. There's a new café on the Main St. called (I think) The Wooden Spoon that I haven't tried yet. The Cottage in the Town Centre Mall is grand but a tad on the expensive side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went here on Friday, excellent and i'd highly recommend it

Alan's Hot Bread Shop was fantastic. .

Yeah it was very good, i loved the rolls they used to do. I couldn't understand why it closed down, it was very popular, maybe rents were too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yeah it was very good, i loved the rolls they used to do. I couldn't understand why it closed down, it was very popular, maybe rents were too high.
    He ran a very successful business and, like all good business people, he got out at the top - money made.

Advertisement